BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one who likes the original M2 more than the M2C ?

08-30-2020, 01:00 AM   #23
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

No way the M2 deliver power better than M2C. You need a high revving engine with a continuous power band not a low end torque commute machine on a sports car.

Look is subjective but I love the M2c styling.
      08-30-2020, 02:12 AM   #24
M3nford
Leased
Rep
Drives: M3

Subjectively don't like the connected grills or the redesigned front end.
They only put the new face on since they had to put the S55 in for emission reasons.
The original design matched the rest of the car better.

S55 is stout, but I can barely take that exhaust sound.
M2C is heavier, and less balanced both in weight distribution and power/chassis.

To me the M2C was not an improvement but more like another flavor of the M2
They each have their pros but overall OG wins out for me.
Appreciate 1
OG///M1002.00
      08-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
No way the M2 deliver power better than M2C. You need a high revving engine with a continuous power band not a low end torque commute machine on a sports car.

Technically, the OG M2 delivers more torque earlier, which most people would consider superior to more torque in the upper ranges. Same with the exhaust, you're going to find people that like the M2C exhaust until they hear the vastly superior M2 exhaust. But there are still the odd birds that prefer the M2C exhaust, and commute in their Saab.

And technically, it's not a "sports car", unless you also consider almost every car on the road with a sporty nature a sports car. It's a GT car, and in that right, the more torque the better.

And technically, the car was created more for commutes than race tracks, which is obvious if you look at the parts specified, the alignment, the brakes, the ride height, and the fact that it's a pretty damn weak track car off-the-shelf.

Your personal opinions are clouding your judgement .
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
OG///M1002.00
Poochie9099.00
      08-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:

Technically, the OG M2 delivers more torque earlier, which most people would consider superior to more torque in the upper ranges. Same with the exhaust, you're going to find people that like the M2C exhaust until they hear the vastly superior M2 exhaust. But there are still the odd birds that prefer the M2C exhaust, and commute in their Saab.

And technically, it's not a "sports car", unless you also consider almost every car on the road with a sporty nature a sports car. It's a GT car, and in that right, the more torque the better.

And technically, the car was created more for commutes than race tracks, which is obvious if you look at the parts specified, the alignment, the brakes, the ride height, and the fact that it's a pretty damn weak track car off-the-shelf.

I would have to respectfully disagree about the GT car perspective. The car was created to be a double duty car that owner can take to track whenever they want while still be able to daily. The extensive cooling in the engine proves that. Also in a normal GT car you would have way longer wheelbase (for better highway stability) and softer suspension settings.

From this point, the s55 is way superior in race track than n55, no even a question. I do agree with the sound. But that's about the only gripe I have with the M2 comp.
      08-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #27
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Can I say BS? The seats and mirrors are the same as my E46 M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Funny, plastic mirror covers are definitely at the bottom of my list of things to give a shit about lol.

Sound is very important to me, it's an important part of the visceral experience of driving. My daily commute is public roads I'm not pushing the car anywhere near it's mechanical limits, so I think sound might actually be one of the more important aspects of a daily for me. I think the Comp. seats are something I'd definitely love to have though.
Quote:
The M2C grille is cool, I'll admit, but too big, obviously. The rest of the front bumper I give you.

The mirrors are fantastic, but easy enough to replace. Try getting that terrible sounding S55 to sound decent with ANY amount of money. Not gonna happen.

I like the look of the M2C seats, but in reality, for a guy my size, the M2 seats are great.

I can get the power you have, but you can't get the sound and feel I have. Pretty much sums it up.
You guys are all fooling yourself. The OG isn't an OG at all! It is a hastily thrown together 1M follow-up. Might as well can it the 2M. It's not a real M car. You know this to be true but whatever makes you feel better.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #28
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would have to respectfully disagree about the GT car perspective. The car was created to be a double duty car that owner can take to track whenever they want while still be able to daily. The extensive cooling in the engine proves that. Also in a normal GT car you would have way longer wheelbase (for better highway stability) and softer suspension settings.

From this point, the s55 is way superior in race track than n55, no even a question. I do agree with the sound. But that's about the only gripe I have with the M2 comp.
I think you need to study GT cars more. The M2 is the very embodiment of a GT car, and nothing at all like a Sports Car or Muscle Car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #29
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

After owning both I'm sorry to say, but the M2C is the proper M car of the 2.
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #30
M3nford
Leased
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
You guys are all fooling yourself. The OG isn't an OG at all! It is a hastily thrown together 1M follow-up. Might as well can it the 2M. It's not a real M car. You know this to be true but whatever makes you feel better.
That's a good attitude to have. Anyone who don't share your subjective opinion is fooling themselves? Ok
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #31
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Both have merits, they are distinctive yet similar enough where it all comes down to personal preference.

To me sound, looks and balance matter more for a weekend, occasionally track day car.
Appreciate 1
junx595.50
      08-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #32
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nford View Post
That's a good attitude to have. Anyone who don't share your subjective opinion is fooling themselves? Ok
The truth hurts & I have spoken

Now I'm out of this foolish thread
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #33
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

Too bad you don’t understand what an M car is. 1M and M2 will always be appreciated as an M car.
Appreciate 1
junx595.50
      08-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #34
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Too bad you don’t understand what an M car is. 1M and M2 will always be appreciated as an M car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nelsdvn229.00
      08-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #35
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Oh oh oh another one of these......

Appreciate 2
ejc48.50
      08-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #36
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Quote:
Well BMWCCA invited me to join their new M group. Guess they don't agree with you either.
nelsdvn229.00
      08-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #37
M3nford
Leased
Rep

Quote:

Ignorance is bliss, bye

I thought M2Cs have their own forum?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #38
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
It's not a real M car.
BMW created the M Division.

BMW put M2 on the car.

But I suppose you'll tell us all why BMW themselves don't know what a proper M car is.

Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
qnet676.00
      08-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #39
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
It's not a real M car.
BMW created the M Division.

BMW put M2 on the car.

BMW considers the M2 an "M" car, and that's good enough for me.

But I suppose you'll tell us all why BMW themselves don't know what a proper M car is.

But the mirrors...

By the way, I find it ironic that the 2 cars being called out as "not real M cars" are arguably 2 of the 5 best cars BMW has ever made. In other words, It's the performance that matters, not some superficial definition of M. I'll take the OG M2 any day for the way it drives...whether people call it a real M car matters not to me or anyone else that drives an OG M2.
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
M3nford73.50
Moflow2484.50
      08-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #40
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I have never driven the M2 and can only state I really enjoy my M2C.

The topic does have me wondering a couple things about the G87 M2/M2C release, which I am personally highly anticipating . . .

1. Both will have the S58 engine, so I wonder what BMW will do to differentiate the M2 from M2C? Have to imagine there will be more to it than mirror caps and wheels?

2. I wonder if both will be released simultaneously, as I BELIEVE occurs with the M3/M3C? Could be wrong, but I do hope such is the case with the G87 M2/M2C.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #41
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post

The topic does have me wondering a couple things about the G87 M2/M2C release, which I am personally highly anticipating . . .

1. Both will have the S58 engine, so I wonder what BMW will do to differentiate the M2 from M2C? Have to imagine there will be more to it than mirror caps and wheels?

2. I wonder if both will be released simultaneously, as I BELIEVE occurs with the M3/M3C? Could be wrong, but I do hope such is the case with the G87 M2/M2C.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #42
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Quote:

///AVM
Ok, perhaps I reached too far . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #43
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM
Ok, perhaps I reached too far . . .
Yes. Just start a new thread.
      08-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #44
M3nford
Leased
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
But the mirrors...

By the way, I find it ironic that the 2 cars being called out as "not real M cars" are arguably 2 of the 5 best cars BMW has ever made. In other words, It's the performance that matters, not some superficial definition of M. I'll take the OG M2 any day for the way it drives...whether people call it a real M car matters not to me or anyone else that drives an OG M2.
'This 100%.

What is an M car?
By BMW, definition is it comes from M GmbH with a WBS- VIN.
By some, definition is the embodiment of driving pleasure and control.
By others, definition is it has M seats, S engine code, M mirrors, M hood dome, etc.

I think we don't need to explain which is more important.
Appreciate 1