BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > PPF or no PPF?

View Poll Results: PPF or no PPF?
Yes and I made the right choice 82 64.06%
Yes and I regret it 8 6.25%
No and I made the right choice 30 23.44%
No and I regret it 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

08-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #23
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Well, the poll shows exactly what you would expect. Everyone who wanted PPF and installed it is happy they did so, and the vast majority of people who didn't want PPF installed are happy they didn't. There are 3 people who were probably on the fence, rolled the dice and then didn't like the paint chips that appeared.

Honestly, if you the type of person who can look at a paint chip and think "look, it's just a car, and I can always have the bumper resprayed in a few years," there is no way PPF is for you. If you are the type of person that can't stand paint chips and see them all the time when you look at the car (even when no one else can ), install PPF in at least the high-impact areas.

So, with that out of the way, can we go back to arguing about MT vs. DCT?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
NathObeaN1307.50
jdubm2c169.00
AndrewC198910917.50
ADDONE230.00
      08-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #24
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

I am getting my new M2C PPF'd. Didn't do it on my OG M2 and it got peppered with stone chips mostly on the bumper.

This is the first car I've had where I will be getting PPF. Bit of an experiment really, if I regret it then I'll never get it again, if I love it... it might become an expensive hobby for my cars going forward.
Appreciate 1
Ingraman144.50
      08-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Despite (intending) to spend the $$$ to PPF and ceramic coat the M2C I actually fall into the camp that vehicles are for enjoying and rock chips and trail rash are part of the journey. My Raptor is scratched up, the windshield has a crack from top to bottom (but no leaks), the bash plate is taco'ed and the front bumper is no longer level. We have a couple of other vehicles we bought used that came pre-scratched and dinged and there's no stress when they get bashed by shopping carts, door dings, or tapped by the incompetent at BART stations.

I bought the M2C new and it's a fair weather garage queen that I want to keep looking good for the next 10+ years. If I want a return on investment I'll buy stocks. Anything car related is barely better than burning cash in a barrel. BTW, touching up / matching metallic paint is tough.

Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
BigKutta3901.00
      08-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #26
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

If you're going to be sad when you get rock chips or stressing every time you see and hear stuff flying around on the highway and you can afford it, get it. The check is hard to write but you will love the peace of mind later and you won't miss the money.

Also makes it easier to wash, you can be lazier during wash without fear if swirls and scratching (my hood looks as good as the day I bought the car, trunk not so much), and it could prevent damage if say a shopping cart hits the car or minor collision.

I do NOT have any peeling, the edges are wrapped. I would NOT get ppf if I wasn't going to do a full panel and wrap the edges as I do not like the look of half hood or half fender with the line.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfritter View Post
This is one such defect I have on mine. It hasn't spread, and it is hard to notice - it's only where the film has been folded around the edge of a panel. There are areas where it doesn't adhere perfectly to the other side. The PPF shop recommended the razor treatment. I guess I am too much of a wuss to take a razor blade to my car.

The other type of defect I have is a few spots where the material at the edge appears to be stretched so that it will no longer lay flat, creating a little pocket in which dirt accumulates. I don't see how this is fixable without replacing the entire PPF sheet (or just slicing it out and leaving an unprotected section).

I noticed this too. Car is very easy to wash.
Wait, is your PPF wrapped around the edges?

Mine isn't. Mine is Xpel pre-cut sheets that go up to the edge but don't wrap around them.
You're installer is terrible. they should get the pre cut pattern and and extend it before the pattern in printed so panel can be wrapped. Then you won't see the edge and dirt can't get on the edge.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #28
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Do you like rock chips?
Get ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #29
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
You beat a Porsche 911 with your M2C ? its that fast?
About 560whp on my noelle tuned M2C with an e30 mix. I’m sure it would keep up with a new one but haven’t seen one yet.

Rock chips are just a fact of life in today’s shitty road environment. I have plenty of friends with several thousand dollar PPF and wrap jobs that get annihilated by rocks too. I prefer to not lose sleep or money over it, and enjoy my cars to the fullest every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #30
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
You beat a Porsche 911 with your M2C ? its that fast?
About 560whp on my noelle tuned M2C with an e30 mix. I’m sure it would keep up with a new one but haven’t seen one yet.

Rock chips are just a fact of life in today’s shitty road environment. I have plenty of friends with several thousand dollar PPF and wrap jobs that get annihilated by rocks too. I prefer to not lose sleep or money over it, and enjoy my cars to the fullest every day.
Dyno charts? Noelle has a questionable reputation on this forum and the M5 forum......
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 03:21 AM   #31
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Even with PPF I still got hit in other areas.
I would only do the bumper and call it a day.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #32
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

PPF, like most anything else, will last a very long time if well cared for. Extended and prolonged periods of intense sun, not cleaning and waxing the film, etc., will likely cause a premature life...

I have never heard of PPF taking original paint or properly applied/cured re-paint with it when removing. Older 3M PPF may be more difficult to remove after many years but can be successfully removed without incident.

I'm a big fan of PPF. The installer is everything. Full front clip, rear quarters, rockers and behind rear wheels are the minimum. I've had both my current cars done below for $2,800 and $3,000, respectively.

My 2010 GT3 was wrapped with 3M early 2010. The second owner had it removed 2 years ago without any issues. It still looked great.

Last edited by devo; 08-17-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #33
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
PPF is the funniest car scam ever.

Cars are for use and enjoyment. Rock chips and the like are character marks. Most people want 3-5k to PPF a whole car? Do you know how many touch up jobs you can get done for that? A life times worth...
There is practically no such thing as a good "touch up job". If you want your paint fixed correctly the panel always has to be repainted.

Can people with varying levels of skill do some kind of mitigation? Yes, but it's not the same. You can repaint a few panels for the cost of PPF, so you are not entirely wrong. It's something I go back and forth over.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #34
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
There is practically no such thing as a good "touch up job". If you want your paint fixed correctly the panel always has to be repainted.

Can people with varying levels of skill do some kind of mitigation? Yes, but it's not the same. You can repaint a few panels for the cost of PPF, so you are not entirely wrong. It's something I go back and forth over.
^exactly. and re-paint is never as good as factory.
      08-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #35
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'll *never* have a car without PPF again. The tech has improved dramatically since it first came out. It's essentially invisible on my M2C-- the only time you can *very* faintly (read: up close and personal) see one single cut line is on the rear quarter panel when the car hasn't been washed for a while and is dusty.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #36
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

PPF is the funniest car scam ever.

Cars are for use and enjoyment. Rock chips and the like are character marks. Most people want 3-5k to PPF a whole car? Do you know how many touch up jobs you can get done for that? A life times worth...

Not to mention most stuff yellows within a couple years.

I personally just think it’s a total waste of money. Maybe I’d do it of a full carbon or some such super car, but I’d never do it on a anything short of a quarter million.

I raced a 997 911 turbo yesterday, and he peppered the fuck out of my front bumper with rocks on an on ramp...But the look on his face as I whizzed by him made it all worth it. I’ll probably have them bumper touched up before next summer for a couple hundred bucks.
^ You mean funniest post ever.

Last edited by devo; 08-17-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7442.00
pz6193278.50
      08-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #37
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

You can make PPF more affordable by doing the chip prone areas such as the front clip, mirrors, etc. Less than half the price at my installer. They also replaced the factory piece on the rear fenders and did "high wear" areas such as door edges, sills, and the entry handle pocket.

I had ceramic pro 9h put over the ppf and the rest of the car.

Not a scam regardless of what others believe.

It can be argued whether or not it's worth it. That's up to you to decide. It's worth it to me because my bumper is already sandblasted from a rally, and rallying with the club is one of my primary uses. The bumper won't last long getting sandblasted behind sticky tires several times a year.
      08-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #38
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Dyno charts? Noelle has a questionable reputation on this forum and the M5 forum......
Questionable take on PPF, seeminly based on info from 15 years ago. Unsubstantiated claims on Noelle Tune. And a claim to out accelerate a car that does the quarter mile in the low 11s, stock.

It's like we've seen this movie before on this forum. Let me get my popcorn.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
^exactly. and re-paint is never as good as factory.
I guess you definitely need a good shop to get a good touch up but there are good people out there.

Hokenheim silver is incredibly easy to paint match I’m told by my guy who painted my aftermarket hood and also touched up my front bumper a bit as well as and area on my left side rocker panel.

I personally couldn’t tell anything had ever happened after
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #40
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
Yeah I’ve read one of the threads before I decided on them. It seems they are controversial, but in my experience they are excellent folks to work with and do back up their claims. With 3 gallons of e30 in my tank mixed with shell 93, the car is an absolute rocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #41
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I scheduled PPF for my car during delivery day; drove it straight from the dealership and to my PPF guy.

Did the entire front end, including the grille, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, rear 3/4 panel, lower rear bumper, and the bumper lip area where the trunk meets the bumper. I went with a trusted PPF shop that doesn't do pre-cut Xpel; they did a great job expertly tucking in the edges.

I have zero regrets, and honestly, for every new car I get moving foward, I will ALWAYS do PPF.

I recently drove from Connecticut to my new home in Suwanee, Georgia, and in all 900+ miles of driving, PPF prevented the car from getting any chips, scratches, etc.

Is it expensive? Yes.

It it worth it? Absolutely. It keeps the car looking as perfect as possible during ownership, and also helps with selling, when it comes time for that.
Appreciate 1
NE_M2C15.00
      08-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #42
papibigred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW, M2C; ‘18

I just need positive affirmation that im getting the dealer to install Xpel: entire front and rocker panels... was nervous trying to balance dying to drive it while waiting to find someone to install. Problem solved. Dealer even installing the front reflector deletes for me before the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #43
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Big vote for PPF here. I was really apprehensive about the cost but in just 3-4 months of driving I've already determined it was money well spent and a great decision - especially in Boston/New England.

Mine went right from the dealer to PPF. I got Front Bumper, Hood, Mirrors, Rocker, Larger Rear Quarter panel, and just behind the rear tires.

Personally, I don't think there is anything "character-building" about rock chips or other unwanted damage from driving. Like yeah my car has so much character from that rock the F'-ing pick-up truck just threw at me...sweet!

If you are someone who is meticulous about the condition of the car, do it, no questions asked. If you aren't that person, then pass and save the money.

Also - do your homework on installers in the area. If you get a trusted one, you won't have any issues - and anything that does arise they will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #44
BSM2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I have a 2021 M2C that is scheduled for September production. I'm trying to decide whether to do PPF or not when the car arrives. If I do it, I would like to do it while the car is still new. I would probably do the whole nose, and mirrors.
What have you guys decided, and are you happy with the decision, or do you regret it.
The Pros of doing it are obviously to protect the paint.
The cons are:
-Cost
-Edges that will eventually get dirt caught in them and look bad
- Peeling at the edges of the aggressively angled front bumper
- Lack of paint clarity where it's applied
- Have to replace every 5 or 6 years
- Risk of pulling paint up when removed and needing a full repaint, or at least a clear coat
I did the front end, hood and mirrors on my 2020. Hit a huge fucking rock not 20 minutes later...absolutely worth it 🤓
Appreciate 0