BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Go visit the 2addicts for an awesome key fob mod

08-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
FYI, to provide more information for those showing interest in this mod...I exchanged a few emails with the vendor (George @Gates Innovations). His replies were courteous, detailed and prompt.

He plainly outlined that, while the X5M key fob he sells isn't OEM, it should work and feel just like it, including dealership scanning capabilities. He also assured me that he will revert and provide me a replacement M2C OEM-like key fob should the upgraded one fail to meet my expectations or won't work just like the original one. Moreover, regarding the BMW spare/door key: he confirmed that it does not contain any IC transponder electronics, as all of the 'smarts' are part of the key fob itself.

Thus it seems Gates Innovations stands behind the product and services as advertised. I'm encouraged about the possibility of biting this bullet, but I am still going to wait to see what other forum members' experiences are like; also curious to find out about the physical construction of the key fob...is it all metal, plastic+aluminum, does it easily scratch like the original plastic fob? Would be a shame to put a cover on it and hide away that beautiful design...

Lastly, I presume since George will simply take your original key fob's IC transponder and replace it inside the upgraded fob (shell is different, guts are identical) one wouldn't need to use the ISTA application to mate/program it with your car.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Also, just to confirm, unless you have a genuine X5M vehicle, there is no way you could get an OEM X5M key fob. Anything else will be aftermarket, and probably inferior...

Given my understanding, when a BMW dealer orders a new key fob, they have to verify the VIN of your BMW vehicle; then the BMW factory actually cuts the key and sends it pre-programmed to your actual vehicle to the dealership you ordered it from.

Not in any way trying to diminish this modification, as it is intriguing - but there is nothing OEM about this. If we could just simply buy blank OEM key fobs that were not pre-programmed, then we could potentially use them with malicious intents and try to steal other bimmers no?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #25
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

My key shipped as well and should be here by Saturday. I'll post my impressions with pics shortly after to this thread.
      08-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #26
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ack_ View Post
My key shipped as well and should be here by Saturday. I'll post my impressions with pics shortly after to this thread.
Awesome...seems like quite a few have made this mod already.

OEM or not, I still want to do this mod, so post all your honest impressions, good or bad.
      08-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #27
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Awesome...seems like quite a few have made this mod already.

OEM or not, I still want to do this mod, so post all your honest impressions, good or bad.
+1
Looking forward to everone’s review.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #28
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Key is out for delivery! Woo hoo! Can't wait!
      08-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #29
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

This key is fantastic! Definitely looks and feels like an "M" key compared to the key that came with the car. So far everything works just fine.

Is it OEM? I don't know, and I know because of some technicalities maybe it can't be listed as OEM, but it sure feels like it to me. The materials are exactly the same and the fit and finish is what I would expect. I guess the real comparison would be to an actual key which I'll do next time I'm at the dealer.

Now to get the metal key cut. Any suggestions on that?

jkoral1023.00
      08-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #30
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I contacted a number of local locksmiths/car key specialty shops. Most say they can't do new BMWs, but once they understood I already had the (programmed and working) fob with a blank key, a couple places told they could duplicate the key for $40.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7442.00
      08-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #31
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
This key is fantastic! Definitely looks and feels like an "M" key compared to the key that came with the car. So far everything works just fine.

Is it OEM? I don't know, and I know because of some technicalities maybe it can't be listed as OEM, but it sure feels like it to me. The materials are exactly the same and the fit and finish is what I would expect. I guess the real comparison would be to an actual key which I'll do next time I'm at the dealer.

Thanks for the feedback...VERY promising indeed!

As a famous UI/UX designer once said “Everything is designed. Few things are designed well.” - Brian Reed

In my experience, UX (user experience) is everything given today's tech laden world...may it be toasting a slice of bread, interfacing with your new mobile device to driving, feeling and hearing your favourite car. That experience will make the user either to fall in love (repeatedly) or completely dislike the product. It explains why > 65% of sports cars owners end up upgrading their exhaust system - the better the sound, the better the experience, the more love they have for the product (car)!

Seems like the upgraded key-fob will provide an elevated tactile feeling without loosing any of its inherent functionality. That's a better UX in my book!

P.S. Regarding getting your spare key cut...most 3rd party BMW specific locksmiths should be able to re-cut the new key (Lowe's or HomeDepot don't have the specific machines for this). Bimmer dealerships also don't offer this service even for a factory key as you'd have to purchase a brand new one from them, and they're normally cut at the factory in Deutschland.

Found this site: https://www.americanbestlocksmith.co...y-replacement/ Doesn't seem cheap though...car door re-key is min $150. Not sure how common is this, as, till now, most people would have gone the dealership route and ordered a brand new OEM key (>450 gold coins)
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7442.00
      08-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #32
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '15 X5d

Pretty solid. I'm happy but glad I only bought one. I also own a 2015 X5 that came with this metal key. Attached are some pics for reference. The OEM key is definitely several grams heavier. Not a big deal. The fit and finish on the new key is decent but there is the slightest mismatch in the back panel and the metal frame. Perhaps it is from the modification of the internals. The key blade is a different material and attached in a different fashion, again not a big deal, just a difference. Would I do this again? Probably. Would I replace both my keys? No. Pics attached.
Attached Images

JustinHEMI7442.00
_Ack_102.00
jkoral1023.00
StephGOD218.50
rdriggett129.00
      08-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #33
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep

Probably the most noticeable difference is the red panic button and how the void is filled with color. OEM left. Knock off is on right. You can also notice the icon for the trunk release is way off. The depth of relief on the left edge of the buttons tapers more elegantly on the OEM key. The roundel is also slightly tinted pinkish on the white panels. Again to me this is fine and I don't care. But if I know anything about some BMW owners is they are OCD beyond reality and might not be able to overlook these minor discrepancies. YMMV.
JustinHEMI7442.00
      08-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Yeah now that you point that out, I even see the differences on my standard M2C key. I'm happy with it, though, I don't have another one to compare it to.

I agree I wouldn't do both my keys.
      08-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #35
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

I wanted to provide my initial review of the key fob:

Weight: It is nice and heavy (see last pics), weighing in at 75g (2.65 Oz) versus only 45g (1.6 Oz) for the stock M2 key. I don't have the weight info on the stock X5 key, but maybe nelsdvn can provide some info on this.

Look/Feel: It feels really nice in your hand and looks close to OEM. I did notice that when removing and inserting the key blank that it isn't factory smooth. When re-inserting the key, there is resistance and I have to twist it clockwise (if the lock button is facing 9 o'clock) slightly before it will click into place. You can't simply push it in and have it close all the way. This could be a minor issue with my key, not all of them. Since I've taken my OEM key apart twice since owning it to lock my glovebox, this is a non-issue for me.

Range: The range is quite good. I was able to walk around 150 ft from my car and still have it lock/unlock. This is while it was in the garage and I was walking perpendicular away from it, so not line of sight.

Comfort Access: Locking is immediate, but unlocking can take up to a second. After repeated tests (~10) of this the car eventually stopped making the lock/unlock noise and I had to lock/unlock with the fob. The car still didn't make any noises but after about a minute everything worked again as it did prior. I didn't get to test this with the OEM fob yet, so this may be by BMW's design.

Battery Access: Definitely where this key is not OEM. When trying to remove the battery cover, the OEM M2 key is simple - insert key into notch, add pressure, and the cover pops up for easy access. This key - not so much. You have two very small tabs for you to put the key against, and then you have to twist to pop the cover. I feel like these tabs could break off with repeated use (again, not like we are changing our batteries daily, but thought I'd mention it). Then, after getting the cover to pop, you have to pull while rotating up from where these tabs are to fully remove the cover. The cover itself is very thin flexible plastic. It does not simply lift up like the OEM M2 key. Again, maybe nelsdvn can weigh in on whether it is as difficult to remove the battery cover on the OEM X5 key.

Overall, I am very happy with the key fob, especially at a price of $150! As others have stated, I wouldn't replace both OEM keys with this. I may end up getting a replacement OEM M2 fob, just in case I ever want to sell the car or if this fails after extended use.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to upgrade.

Question for those who have had luck getting their blank cut:

I went to a local locksmith who would charge $45 to cut the blank, but he is telling me that there is a special code (like HUxxxx) that needs to be entered into his machine before he can cut it. His book went through 2020 vehicles but I noticed all BMW's only went to 2009 or 2013, which I believe is probably when BMW changed the design from an actual key to a fob. Did anyone have luck with getting the key cut, and if so, do you know what code your locksmith used? I don't understand any of this since it is a basic key without a chip in it. I read through this site which provided good info, but not what I was looking for. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by _Ack_; 08-21-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 6
Altra265.50
JustinHEMI7442.00
jkoral1023.00
StephGOD218.50
      08-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #36
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep

Interesting. In my hand the OE key feels heavier but this contradicts that.
Attached Images

_Ack_102.00
      08-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #37
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Weight: It is nice and heavy (see last pics), weighing in at 75g (2.65 Oz) versus only 45g (1.6 Oz) for the stock M2 key. I don't have the weight info on the stock X5 key, but maybe nelsdvn can provide some info on this.

Look/Feel: It feels really nice in your hand and looks close to OEM. I did notice that when removing and inserting the key blank that it isn't factory smooth. When re-inserting the key, there is resistance and I have to twist it clockwise (if the lock button is facing 9 o'clock) slightly before it will click into place. You can't simply push it in and have it close all the way. This could be a minor issue with my key, not all of them. Since I've taken my OEM key apart twice since owning it to lock my glovebox, this is a non-issue for me.

Range: The range is quite good. I was able to walk around 150 ft from my car and still have it lock/unlock. This is while it was in the garage and I was walking perpendicular away from it, so not line of sight.

Comfort Access: Locking is immediate, but unlocking can take up to a second. After repeated tests (~10) of this the car eventually stopped making the lock/unlock noise and I had to lock/unlock with the fob. The car still didn't make any noises but after about a minute everything worked again as it did prior. I didn't get to test this with the OEM fob yet, so this may be by BMW's design.

Battery Access: Definitely where this key is not OEM. When trying to remove the battery cover, the OEM M2 key is simple - insert key into notch, add pressure, and the cover pops up for easy access. This key - not so much. You have two very small tabs for you to put the key against, and then you have to twist to pop the cover. I feel like these tabs could break off with repeated use (again, not like we are changing our batteries daily, but thought I'd mention it). Then, after getting the cover to pop, you have to pull while rotating up from where these tabs are to fully remove the cover. The cover itself is very thin flexible plastic. It does not simply lift up like the OEM M2 key. Again, maybe nelsdvn can weigh in on whether it is as difficult to remove the battery cover on the OEM X5 key.

Overall, I am very happy with the key fob, especially at a price of $150! As others have stated, I wouldn't replace both OEM keys with this. I may end up getting a replacement OEM M2 fob, just in case I ever want to sell the car or if this fails after extended use.
Thanks for the thorough review as everything you discussed pretty much lines up exactly with my own experience doing this mod but with the ~$30 eBay purchased non-OEM blade style key fob instead. With that said, it would appear all these non-OEM key fobs, which have the 28-pin IC PCB, are possibly being produced by the same Chinese manufacturer overseas and then simply distributed & sold through various different channels here in the U.S.

Also, just in case someone missed my original post, if you want to use the OEM blade key fob shell instead because you're OCD about the fine details, you can easily do so by just swapping your new PCB directly into one (sometimes you can find a fairly new one for a decent price on eBay) but just make sure you buy the version stamped with FCC ID: NBGIDGNG1 because as I mentioned before the other version will not work due to the internal plastic housing not accomadating the PCB (i.e. OEM PCB is a completely different shape).
Appreciate 2
_Ack_102.00
JustinHEMI7442.00
      08-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #38
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The key is heavier, doesn't work as well and is bigger? Don't really see the upside here...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #39
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Real pleased with the key, nice weight. Great service, recommended.

(I should have put some tape over the metal when putting it on the tight split ring of the ///M Motorsport strap, it scratched the metal a bit).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #40
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to upgrade.

Question for those who have had luck getting their blank cut:

I went to a local locksmith who would charge $45 to cut the blank, but he is telling me that there is a special code (like HUxxxx) that needs to be entered into his machine before he can cut it. His book went through 2020 vehicles but I noticed all BMW's only went to 2009 or 2013, which I believe is probably when BMW changed the design from an actual key to a fob. Did anyone have luck with getting the key cut, and if so, do you know what code your locksmith used? I don't understand any of this since it is a basic key without a chip in it. I read through this site which provided good info, but not what I was looking for. Any help is appreciated!

I can attest that the Ebay key is exactly what you described. Nice and heavy. Key blank movement is janky and it required some finesse to insert back in (very big turn off to me). I also feel like the button is too tight to a point it feel cheap. Button travel was also inconsistent among the 4 buttons. Battery access is also very questionable like you said. I won't do the retrofit from my OEM key for those reasons.. Other than a piece of shiny metal feel and look, nothing is on par with OEM level. Oh well 20 bucks lesson learned.
      09-01-2020, 06:46 AM   #41
qc521
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Got my key back from George last week and have used the key for a few days now. I think it's a fun upgrade for $150 bucks and makes your key fob look more premium.

I haven't experienced any functionality difference - I mostly use comfort access with auto folding mirrors and works just like OEM.

I'm not going to get the blank key cut for now and will keep my 2nd OEM key as backup.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #42
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Thanks guys. My oem fob never bothered me til I saw this post. You guys are the best, lol.
Appreciate 1
f87kevin123.50
      09-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #43
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

It's been a few weeks since I've driven my car because of work and traveling.

Last night, I wanted to go for a spin and received the "remote won't start car" message. I had to hold it up to the steering wheel. When I got home, I turned the car off then started it a few minutes later and it was fine.

Anyone else have this behavior?
      09-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #44
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep

The battery that came with mine died within a week and I got similar messages. Emailed George, he got right back to me explaining he had a batch from his supplier with crappy batteries. Replaced it with a new one and have not had an issue since.