BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

08-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #23
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
They have a functional purpose. To reduce off-throttle turbo lag, by detonating in the turbofold to spool the turbo on decel.

People just don't know the reason and assume it's some attention getting feature.

I never tried it when my car was stock, so not sure if someone with a stock car can feel a difference, but I can definitely tell a difference with my car how it's built today. Let off the gas, get back on it while burbles are happening. Do the same but get back on after burbles finish. Feel the difference in lag.
First i've heard of it. So you're saying the burbles will help the turbo spool on deceleration? I've tried with and without burbles and i feel no difference but didn't do that little example you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #24
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
They have a functional purpose. To reduce off-throttle turbo lag, by detonating in the turbofold to spool the turbo on decel.

People just don't know the reason and assume it's some attention getting feature.

I never tried it when my car was stock, so not sure if someone with a stock car can feel a difference, but I can definitely tell a difference with my car how it's built today. Let off the gas, get back on it while burbles are happening. Do the same but get back on after burbles finish. Feel the difference in lag.
Please take that nonsense elsewhere. It's 100% gimmick to pander to boulevard cruisers with "look at me" personalities.
Appreciate 5
JustinHEMI7401.00
Poochie9099.00
Acetech218.50
Fabb227.50
9M711232.50
      08-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #25
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Please take that nonsense elsewhere. It's 100% gimmick to pander to boulevard cruisers with "look at me" personalities.
Not my non-sense theory. Spoken purpose by Porsche and Hyundai engineers who originally implemented them.

Also, I realized I'm speaking in the M2C section. I wonder if the anti-lag affect is less noticeable since s55 have twin smaller turbos, instead of the M2 larger one.

Appreciate 1
BSM2C16.50
      08-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #26
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Not my non-sense theory. Spoken purpose by Porsche and Hyundai engineers who originally implemented them.

Also, I realized I'm speaking in the M2C section. I wonder if the anti-lag affect is less noticeable since s55 have twin smaller turbos, instead of the M2 larger one.

There is still a lot of unneeded stock tune burble.

I agree there is a known benefit to the 1-2 pops in between shifts while under load.

However, There is no benefit being able to accelerate from 5-10kph over and over while it's constantly burbling in sport + mode. No real boost has even been gained yet at that point. Not to mention you can feather the pedal while decelerating to keep a constant flow and pops...
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #27
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post

I agree there is a known benefit to the 1-2 pops in between shifts while under load.

However, There is no benefit being able to accelerate from 5-10kph over and over while it's constantly burbling in sport + mode. No real boost has even been gained yet at that point. Not to mention you can feather the pedal while decelerating to keep a constant flow and pops...
My car has been tuned since the first month of ownership, 2.5 years ago, so I can't comment on the stock burble settings. But, how many seconds do you have your foot off the gas when taking a corner? Keep in mind too, the turbo is also still "spooled up" (spinning fast) after the burbles stop.

Instead of modulating the throttle to keep burbles continue, I modulate it to stop them and quiet them down. Just a light press of the pedal stops them completely. If I'm driving aggressively in a neighborhood, I lightly hit the pedal before the big bang comes.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #28
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

My car has been tuned since the first month of ownership, 2.5 years ago, so I can't comment on the stock burble settings. But, how many seconds do you have your foot off the gas when taking a corner? Keep in mind too, the turbo is also still "spooled up" (spinning fast) after the burbles stop.

Instead of modulating the throttle to keep burbles continue, I modulate it to stop them and quiet them down. Just a light press of the pedal stops them completely. If I'm driving aggressively in a neighborhood, I lightly hit the pedal before the big bang comes.
I tuned out my run off burbles two years ago. So my N55 only had the pop in between shifts.

The M2C is worse in my opinion and I hope the DataDisplay will be able to tune it out without a DME unlock.

At the end of the day it's all user preference until we start controlled testing and logging boost levels with runoff burbles tuned to 0 vs stock
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:13 AM   #29
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:

You mean to say that stock F80 M3 and F82 M4 with the same S55 without burbles (as they all came without) are slower cars because they don't burble?

I'm pretty sure that the burbles are part of the DME programming, and turning them on/off has no effect and no ill-effect on performance
      08-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #30
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
I'd say get a prius
An exhaust doesn't sound good just because it's noisy and always popping lol and wanting a more refined exhaust tone doesn't mean they want it quiet.

While some people might like the pops , others think they make the car sound like a cheap tuner. 5 pops when I'm cruising 30kph and let my foot off the gas is just dumb....
Then get another car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #31
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
You mean to say that stock F80 M3 and F82 M4 with the same S55 without burbles (as they all came without) are slower cars because they don't burble?

I'm pretty sure that the burbles are part of the DME programming, and turning them on/off has no effect and no ill-effect on performance
That's a non-sequitur.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #32
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'd say get a prius
An exhaust doesn't sound good just because it's noisy and always popping lol and wanting a more refined exhaust tone doesn't mean they want it quiet.

While some people might like the pops , others think they make the car sound like a cheap tuner. 5 pops when I'm cruising 30kph and let my foot off the gas is just dumb....
Then get another car
I don't understand why you're being so shallow.

The M2 and M2C have a lot to offer which makes the exhaust burbles irrelevant as a deciding factor for these cars.

As owners, we have the right to adjust aspects of this car. You're basically telling people who mod their car to buy something else if they aren't happy with how it came from the factory.
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 5
kiosko19.00
MDuckie93.00
stefan2346.50
      08-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #33
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I don't understand why you're being so shallow.

The M2 and M2C have a lot to offer which makes the exhaust burbles irrelevant as a deciding factor for these cars.

As owners, we have the right to adjust aspects of this car. You're basically telling people who mod their car to buy something else if they aren't happy with how it came from the factory.
I mean a lot of us hate the cow udder but we shouldn't just "Get another car." Almost all cars have their flaws which are correct-able.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #34
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

I won't get into if the burbles actually do anything performance-wise. In my opinion (and I stress opinion) they are just for noise and don't do anything for performance. Mine (both stock and BM3 Stage 2 AGG with burbles set to maximum) would only burble below 5K-ish RPM, so it would have no anti-lag effects at high RPM WOT, which is where you'd want it (and yes, I had the burble RPM range set up to the redline).
Sick of the fake, obnoxious noise, I just disabled ASD outright. I cannot recommend that enough. Quieter inside the car, no fake burbles, it lets out a pop between shifts (6MT), and it also has a mild rumble on low RPM deceleration. Obviously anyone can mod / not mod their car how they want, but I think this is the perfect option for getting rid of a lot of the artificiality of the S55 exhaust note.

As to the OP's original question, I can't help. I removed my DME and had it bench unlocked and tuned with BM3. However, if there's a way to turn off ASD/burbles without the bench unlock, I wouldn't hesitate.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #35
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Masterson View Post
I won't get into if the burbles actually do anything performance-wise. In my opinion (and I stress opinion) they are just for noise and don't do anything for performance. Mine (both stock and BM3 Stage 2 AGG with burbles set to maximum) would only burble below 5K-ish RPM, so it would have no anti-lag effects at high RPM WOT, which is where you'd want it (and yes, I had the burble RPM range set up to the redline).
Sick of the fake, obnoxious noise, I just disabled ASD outright. I cannot recommend that enough. Quieter inside the car, no fake burbles, it lets out a pop between shifts (6MT), and it also has a mild rumble on low RPM deceleration. Obviously anyone can mod / not mod their car how they want, but I think this is the perfect option for getting rid of a lot of the artificiality of the S55 exhaust note.

As to the OP's original question, I can't help. I removed my DME and had it bench unlocked and tuned with BM3. However, if there's a way to turn off ASD/burbles without the bench unlock, I wouldn't hesitate.
The burbles are not useful when you're above 5k and/or at high WOT, the turbo is spool up already under those conditions. And the turbo are residual energy from those conditions when you let off the throttle. Combine with no anticipation of letting off at 6k and not getting back on before it drops below 5k. That isn't where you want burbles. Makes no sense.

Now, if you're at 5k under low load and low throttle input, yea the turbo won't be spooled. But who casually drives above 5k?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #36
Danielo58
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I can disable burbles with ak motion display, it just mark or unmark the options and burbles are gone
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #37
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Greetings.
What are the options for disabling burbles on M2 competition with locked dme?

Can dealer do it ? Maybe?

OBD flashers are out?

Only bench unlock?

Thanks.
Drive slowly, do not use more than the minimum throttle, and definitely don't lift off on the approach to a bend or a junction. The burbles do serve a useful purpose though in that injecting fuel on overrun cools the exhaust valves.

Separately, have you considered buying a Tesla? No burbles - at all - plus there's the 'Insane' mode for when you absolutely, positively have to go the full Samuel L Jackson on someone at the lights...

Edit: Also, how did you dispense with ASD, because that there is some seriously irritating fakery on an M car.

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-10-2020 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #38
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Drive slowly, do not use more than the minimum throttle, and definitely don't lift off on the approach to a bend or a junction. The burbles do serve a useful purpose though in that injecting fuel on overrun cools the exhaust valves.

Separately, have you considered buying a Tesla? No burbles - at all - plus there's the 'Insane' mode for when you absolutely, positively have to go the full Samuel L Jackson on someone at the lights...

Edit: Also, how did you dispense with ASD, because that there is some seriously irritating fakery on an M car.
Every mode is insane mode with a tesla. Cause you gotta be insane to buy one.
Appreciate 1
kiosko19.00
      08-11-2020, 01:51 AM   #39
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:

Not the person who you responded to... but I coded it out with BimmerCode on my 18' and I have the technic pnp harness ready for the 21'
Attached Images

-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:36 AM   #40
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Quote:

HAHA
Whats up with all the comments: buy prius, buy tesla??

New era of ( youtoube cool) stuff such as pop and crackles is not for everyone. Dsg farts, overrun farts. WTF?

Whats wrong with clean exhaust sound?
I am not going to buy a prius or tesla,,,, a I am going to buy an old analog car when i am done with m2c.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #41
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Validation that the exhaust burbles/pops can be disabled without tuning the car

In the post below, there are a few fellow members who confirmed that they can turn off the exhaust burbles via Burkhart Data Display AK-Motion.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=24

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-11-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #42
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Greetings.
What are the options for disabling burbles on M2 competition with locked dme?

Can dealer do it ? Maybe?

OBD flashers are out?

Only bench unlock?

Thanks.
Any luck bro? Hope you were able to find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #43
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HAHA
Whats up with all the comments: buy prius, buy tesla??

New era of ( youtoube cool) stuff such as pop and crackles is not for everyone. Dsg farts, overrun farts. WTF?

Whats wrong with clean exhaust sound?
I am not going to buy a prius or tesla,,,, a I am going to buy an old analog car when i am done with m2c.
I may be in minority here, but I find that the burbles somehow seem to overpower the native M2C exhaust & engine notes. When in Sport+, I would prefer to hear the engine and exhaust winding down over the popping sounds. The Sport+ mode exacerbates the burbles the most, I don't hate them per se, but I would much prefer to not have them at all without messing about with the DME or installing aftermarket solutions like the AK Motion. Lately, I seem to enjoy the Sport mode quite a bit, where the burbles are negligible, and I can hear the motor and exhaust notes more cleanly. FYI, I am strongly considering the Dinan axle back exhaust (without the x-pipe), and from the limited YouTube or marketing videos I've seen, the burbles are even more enhanced when upgrading from the stock cow-udder exhaust.

I almost bought a 991.2, but chose the M2C for its practicality and all-in-one package. I don't recall hearing any overbearing popping sounds (if any at all) upon deceleration on the twin-turbo motor fitted in the previous Neunfer version. So the German engineering is capable of implementing twin-turbo engines without the burbles that some would do without.

P.S. Unsolicited side-note: in my opinion, nothing to this day beats the sound the Lexus LFA V-10 72-degrees engine/exhaust produced. I still shiver when I hear it in YouTube videos. True engineering at ITS BEST, and like many, I still lust over that car, even though it's approaching a decade in design...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #44
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Any luck bro? Hope you were able to find a solution.
It's been confirmed by a few owners: installing the Burkhart AK motion allows you to disable the burbles on deceleration...see post #41 above
Appreciate 1