BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The Topic That Answers All M2C(S) Exhaust Questions

09-27-2019, 04:35 AM   #23
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Re posted here:::

Something I noticed in ISTA diagnostics (if you have it) is you can run recalibration for a new OPF.

I.e. if lets say you had your OPF replaced by BMW the DME needs to be re-set to accept the new OPF pressure characteristics.

So I wonder if resetting this with an OPF delete (or non EC approved back box etc) would mean the DME would then except that new back-pressure as being "correct" if that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #24
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Re posted here:::

Something I noticed in ISTA diagnostics (if you have it) is you can run recalibration for a new OPF.

I.e. if lets say you had your OPF replaced by BMW the DME needs to be re-set to accept the new OPF pressure characteristics.

So I wonder if resetting this with an OPF delete (or non EC approved back box etc) would mean the DME would then except that new back-pressure as being "correct" if that makes sense?
DB,

I assume OPF cal by DME is linked to some sort of re-gen / self clean of the OPF similar to DPF.

So there has to be ranges within DME to routinely set off a OPF regen.

I guess if DME can be forced to carry OPF cal immediately after any exhaust upgrades then it should mean degradation of flow etc will be less hence need for self-regen frequency would trend towards zero or near zero.

BP
      09-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
doughboy
Major General
Rep

BP

Sound logical as without OPF there should be no change in back pressure over time so no need for regeneration. Resetting after OPF removal might just stop fault codes that you get otherwise with a sudden change in pressure that falls outside tolerances.

Tech info from ISTA for OPF and sensors attached here if anyone wants a read
Attached Images
File Type: pdf OPF info BMW.pdf (371.9 KB, 442 views)
File Type: pdf OPF sensor info.pdf (137.3 KB, 531 views)

Last edited by doughboy; 09-28-2019 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #26
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Thanks much for this, great explanations.

As an EU M2c owner (Apr 19 build) I am looking at the best options for replacing the exhaust, to include OPF, but not DPs. I'm patiently waiting for PTF to release BM3 for the locked DMEs, if they will at all. If not I will likely go through a local tuner as there are a few in The Hague/Rotterdam area that are reputable.

I miss the "simplicity" of plug and play passive cat removal like I had on the F80..as long as DPs were still there anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:22 AM   #27
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

MR. — Thanks so much for all of this. Very informative. Huge amount of work and effort for you to put this together for all of us.

By the way...

OBD = on-board diagnostics

ODB = Ol’ Dirty Bastard (RIP) from the Wu-Tang Clan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ol%27_Dirty_Bastard
Attached Images

09-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post

As an EU M2c owner (Apr 19 build) I am looking at the best options for replacing the exhaust, to include OPF, but not DPs. I'm patiently waiting for PTF to release BM3 for the locked DMEs, if they will at all. If not I will likely go through a local tuner as there are a few in The Hague/Rotterdam area that are reputable.

I miss the "simplicity" of plug and play passive cat removal like I had on the F80..as long as DPs were still there anyway
You can't replace your DPs if you keep the OPFs. That is a recipe for disaster. Don't go down that route. OPF-Delete first, then CAT-delete. Don't go the other way.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #29
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:

You can't replace your DPs if you keep the OPFs. That is a recipe for disaster. Don't go down that route. OPF-Delete first, then CAT-delete. Don't go the other way.

MR
I don't want to touch DPs at all, only replace the OPF and rest of exhaust. Sorry for any confusion
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Quote:
I don't want to touch DPs at all, only replace the OPF and rest of exhaust. Sorry for any confusion
at my car with 10/2018 OEM software it was possible to drive without OPF, the car goes 3 times into limp mode, after restart it was ok again.

after the 3rd time limp mode it was driving normal, no issues.

failure codes 1A280A, 1A2810, 1A2817. codes, lights limitations after restart of the engine gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #31
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
Quote:
at my car with 10/2018 OEM software it was possible to drive without OPF, the car goes 3 times into limp mode, after restart it was ok again.

after the 3rd time limp mode it was driving normal, no issues.

failure codes 1A280A, 1A2810, 1A2817. codes, lights limitations after restart of the engine gone.
I've heard this from other posts also ( typically with older SW versions). I want to be in a proactive position with the BM3 so I'm not suffering limp modes after I change the exhaust.

What a PITA if you either a) drive around in limp mode limbo while you wait for tuning solution or b) have to uninstall exhaust and reinstall stock while you wait.

PTF confirmed today they still don't have solution for my ECU SW. they say to follow them on social media for updates..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:31 AM   #32
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I can confirm today that the Emulator Control Module or ECM is now available at pre-order. You have heard me talking about it for months now and finally it is available for a large number of cars.

The development took long and was done by a technical genius. Now the box is ready to be pre-ordered and shipped out with a large number of variants being available, because the ECM doesn't offer one function but many. Standard the box offers disabling of the ASD and auto start/stop. If you don't want those disabled, tell the seller before shipping.

Other features are OPF-Delete, CAT-Delete / Delete-R and valve control via the cruise control toggle on the steering wheel. You can opt of seven different variants that offer a mix between these features. At this moment, seven variants are being offered. Additional changes to the features in the box are not being offered right now, but further developments are of course on the cards for 2020. For now this product is available for clients that need a solution for their OPF-Delete and Delete-R, and for those who want to switch between OPEN, CLOSE and AUTO on their exhaust valves.

The ECM is connected to the CAN bus of the vehicle and therefore ECU or DME tuning is not required to disable any sensors. Therefore your warranty is not impacted.

However for us M2C owners there is a catch. The M2C and M4C with OPF are a pain in the ass. Since they are based on an architecture connected to the S55 engine, the OPF delete feature set of the ECM hasn't been finished yet. It will be finished in November with testing on-going as we speak. For a range of Fxx and Gxx models it is already available.
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 10-01-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #33
stefstef
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Congrats
That's a very good solution
Are we gonna see in the near future such a product for MINI? F56 JCW with OPF/GPF?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #34
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefstef View Post
Congrats
That's a very good solution
Are we gonna see in the near future such a product for MINI? F56 JCW with OPF/GPF?
MINI is next. We think it might work the same, but we need to test. I am getting a GP3, so I would need one as well, because that car sounds horrible.

Also the Supra is one that we need to test, almost certain it will work on that car, but we need find a car to test it on.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:40 AM   #35
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
I can confirm today that the Emulator Control Module or ECM is now available at pre-order. You have heard me talking about it for months now and finally it is available for a large number of cars.

The development took long and was done by a technical genius. Now the box is ready to be pre-ordered and shipped out with a large number of variants being available, because the ECM doesn't offer one function but many. Standard the box offers disabling of the ASD and auto start/stop. If you don't want those disabled, tell the seller before shipping.

Other features are OPF-Delete, CAT-Delete / Delete-R and valve control via the cruise control toggle on the steering wheel. You can opt of seven different variants that offer a mix between these features. At this moment, seven variants are being offered. Additional changes to the features in the box are not being offered right now, but further developments are of course on the cards for 2020. For now this product is available for clients that need a solution for their OPF-Delete and Delete-R, and for those who want to switch between OPEN, CLOSE and AUTO on their exhaust valves.

The ECM is connected to the CAN bus of the vehicle and therefore ECU or DME tuning is not required to disable any sensors. Therefore your warranty is not impacted.

However for us M2C owners there is a catch. The M2C and M4C with OPF are a pain in the ass. Since they are based on an architecture connected to the S55 engine, the OPF delete feature set of the ECM hasn't been finished yet. It will be finished in November with testing on-going as we speak. For a range of Fxx and Gxx models it is already available.
Great write up! i assume the M2C and M4C has the same problems with the OPF!

Would you recommend running the car with stock OPF link pipes and de catted 3" downpipes ?
of course running with the ECM to delete the OPF sensors (previously causing drivetrain)

I read in your post that having the physical OPF in the linkpipes will hurt the engine if the downpipes were swapped for decatted better flow downpipes?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #36
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The OPF is much more restrictive than the primary CATs so OPF is the limiting factor.

It is pointless to remove primary CATS with the OPF in place and it will just cook the OPF as that will take all the heat and pressure previously shared with CATs and you won't gain any power.

If you want to run decat DPs then you have to map anyway so may as well map for OPF removal too.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #37
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Question we know the US definitely doesn't have OPF. But what about EU spec cars like mine in Saudi. How can I visually know that I have an OPF like the EU cars or a resonator like the US cars. Plus the image in the original post with circles isn't showing for me for some reason
Attached Images

10-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #38
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Both US and EU cars have the resonator, US cars have 2 secondary kats where the EU ones have the OPFs. It seems you have the same system of US cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #39
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

So if I go for the Akrapovic Evolve system with the link pipe car won't through any errors as I don't have OPF?
      10-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #40
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Exactly, by removing the secondary kats you will have no error
Appreciate 1
m7ammed209.00
      10-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #41
SinisterC6
Sorry, I'm new
Rep
Drives: 07 C6 TT, 21 C8, 21 Dmax 3500

Helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #42
SinisterC6
Sorry, I'm new
Rep
Drives: 07 C6 TT, 21 C8, 21 Dmax 3500

I ended up going the route of catless downpipes, AA midpipe and origional muffler. Car remains quiet in efficient and about 30% louder in Sporr plus
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #43
Jamieip
Registered
Rep
Drives: F56 S 2019

Any update in regards to MINI? i've been running without an OPF for a while now. No limp mode on mine touch wood. I would have noticed it ages ago though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #44
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:

MR
WHat is the reason behind this: not to change the cats before OPFS?
Appreciate 0