BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > First ever M2 Competition Euro Delivery done at Welt! (UPDATED)

07-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #221
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Ok, i'm a bit confused now about the wheels color. What i see on these pics is what i expect to be the 2QT wheels.

But if those are the 29U, what the heck do the wheels I ordered look like?

Did literally almost all pics and vidz we have seen the past months actually show the black wheels and not the silver ones like at least I assumed??
Hey, Volvo managed to forget to install my ventilated seats in my XC70, so I suppose It's possible they made a mistake and put the regular wheels on, but I doubt it, as they clearly don't have a silver face to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #222
BlastedBilly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I knew I'm going to take some sh!t for that comment... The lack of zippiness of the car is the only thing that has surprised me, to be honest. Those who know and review cars for a living will probably describe this as a normally aspirated engine curve, or one that is quite linear and predictable. Which is not a bad thing necessarily.

It can't be that BMW couldn't make it drive like the R. I'm sure they could have just mapped the throttle curve steeper. It's got way more power, so that's not the problem. Perhaps with the R, being AWD, they can get away with it.

The fact the car is sound proofed well is nothing to whine about. As you can hear from my vid, the exhaust does make plenty of noise. If you expect it to be that loud with your windows up, you'll need to get yourself an aftermarket one. I used to drive with my windows cracked open to hear my exhaust.
Are you taking it easy for break-in or driving WOT?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #223
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Safety system brakes for you also!

Oh, I almost forgot! One cool feature is the safety system, early collision warning / whatever it's called. If you get too close, or come up too fast on a car, it'll show you a red car in the dash display.

Once though, I was on the highway, and as I was speeding up to the car in front, some dipsh!t quickly swerved into my lane. I felt the car actually brake lightly a split second before I did, which was very cool!

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-22-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 3
EthanEJC199.50
qnet679.00
      07-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #224
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Never been much of a journalist, so please don't expect a lot! I only drove the M2 a year ago, for half an hour, so it's not fresh in my mind to do a comparison of it.

I won't get into the aesthetics of the car. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I love the Silver colour. Have noticed quite a few people gawking at the car and giving thumbs up, so I'm not alone.

I've spent about 6 hours driving it, much of it in traffic unfortunately, but did some twisty mountain roads, and it really handles well. No surprises. The upgraded brakes are freakin' powerful! Just tapping them you get thrown forwards.

I find it a bit stiff on rough city roads at slower speeds I have to say, but at speed on rough twisty roads even, it's so balanced. I wish it had the adjustable suspension for those times, but that's another story. It seems more comfortable eating up bumps almost the faster you go. Didn't feel uneasy at all on the twisty mountain roads of the Alps. At 100 MPH, it feels like it's going 60 MPH. It's so stable and solid.

Power is quite smooth delivery. Interestingly, even in Sport + mode. I was expecting more of a kick in the pants every time I pressed the gas, but not quite. I've been driving a 2016 Golf R lately, and yes, although it weighs a few hundred pounds less, it only has 300 HP and ft lbs of torque, but it really kicks you back when you press the gas. Perhaps once this car's broken in too, it'll feel like that. That's one slight disappointment for me engine wise, but that's just how BMW has chosen to tune it I'm guessing.

I was too chicken to really push it hard on the twisty mountain roads in Austria (check out the Grossglockner pictures), and it was raining, but it actually didn't feel like it was going to lose grip in the rear. I guess it's a good thing that the power delivery seems pretty smooth and isn't easy to step the back end out accidentally.

The seats seem pretty comfortable even on 6 hour daily drives and with the adjustable side bolsters, they grip you well. I've only been a little bit stiff, and I've got a bit of a bad back too.

I wish I could turn off ASD to hear the real sounds of the exhaust. With the windows up, you can barely hear the exhaust. So the soundproofing is pretty damn good. Not sure if I'll do that mod I've seen others do by adding the door seals up front.

In Sport+, as you will hear from my warm start up video, it sounds pretty good IMO and has nice burbles. Comfort mode, was blah.... But then again, I had an upgraded exhaust on my 335 and like them a bit sportier sounding. I've driven an M4 with the Competition Package though, and that exhaust is way louder along with its burbles. Wish this was that good.

I've got the upgraded sound system, but it needs more bass! It sounds cleaner than my 10 year old 335 with a Logic 7 system, but the underseat subs on the middle setting punched more than these. And I've got it set at 5 out of 10 already.

The auto throttle blip seems permanent to me. It does it even in Sport + and even in MDM mode, surprisingly. Not too intrusive though, I just have to program myself to stop blipping I guess.

That's it for now... Going to bed. Will post more in next few days hopefully.
This may be a chassis thing with the bass.

My X1 absolutely bumps, but my 1M does not at all. It sounds ok but very thin on bass response. I think it has a lot to do with the interior volume and the size of the car. :

In other words, I'm actually not surprised to hear that the sound system isn't as good as the 335 which is a larger car and your analysis is spot on !

Same with the comments about ASD and the motor.

The auto rev match works in all modes but DSC OFF. Don't worry about testing that until you get back home ...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #225
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
As for the exhaust:

Owning an F80 and an OG M2. S55 takes a lot longer to warm up, IMO. Curious if that is still the case?
Not sure about how long it takes, but Cold starts don't sound anywhere as good.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #226
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastedBilly View Post
Agreed. Im coming from a tuned Golf R. This has me a little worried, but its the first review. Its not broken in yet. Maybe hes not taking it past 4500rpm?
LOL... She's not broken in yet. I've got 300 miles on her.

Plus, if you've tuned your car, you can easily tune this, and ask the M4 guys how their engines feel after the tune. I'm sure you can map the throttle curve as steep as you want.

I've not found any turbo lag on this car BTW. Not that the R has one.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4171.00
      07-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #227
BlastedBilly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Plus, if you've tuned your car, you can easily tune this, and ask the M4 guys how their engines feel after the tune. I'm sure you can map the throttle curve as steep as you want.

Good to hear! Thanks for the reply. Would you say it feels faster than the Golf, just not as zippy?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #228
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Those shots in minimal sunlight are fascinating. It's like a white grey blue-violet pearl...and looks really good. Wonder what direct sun will reveal. Nothing against your car at all - it's beautiful, but BMW's inability to get the bumpers to perfectly match the metal on all but 668 and 300 never ceases to disappoint!

Last edited by Fugly M3; 07-22-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #229
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear! Thanks for the reply. Would you say it feels faster than the Golf, just not as zippy?

If he is currently keeping the M2 under 4500 rpm, I think a golf R wins 100 Times out of 100.
Appreciate 3
BAN_M2C4171.00
m20e30871143.00
AlpsRider2863.50
      07-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #230
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Those shots in minimal sunlight are fascinating. It's like a white grey blue-violet pearl...and looks really good. Wonder what direct sun will reveal. Nothing against your car at all - it's beautiful, but BMW's inability to get the bumpers to perfectly match the metal on all but 668 and 300 never ceases to disappoint!
Oh lord. Another person that doesn't understand that the same paint on two different materials never does actually match.

You need to head on over to the Camaro forums if you want to see people frustrated with the fact that their plastic painted bumpers don't match their metal fenders hood and quarter panels.

And the funny part is that none of them realize it until they get into a minor fender bender.

Camaro guy - " my body shop can't match my bumpers. ".

Real world person- Sorry bro. No one can. "

Camaro guy - " but it wasn't like that before ! "

Real world person - "actually .. it was. "

Then a FIGHT is about to start until you take Camaro guy over to a dealership and look at new cars on the lot that look the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #231
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If he is currently keeping the M2 under 4500 rpm, I think a golf R wins 100 Times out of 100.
Agree. Break in says below 4500 rpm and under 105mph.

I felt the regular M2 fast from the start but once break in service and I did a pull WOT and until redline was when I said oh shit!

Plus this car with downpipes and a tune will be ridiculous.

Lotus99 thanks for updating us! Safe driving out there!!
      07-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #232
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Agreed. Im coming from a tuned Golf R. This has me a little worried, but its the first review. Its not broken in yet. Maybe hes not taking it past 4500rpm?
Dude if you tune the M2C it's going to be an ANIMAL!
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4171.00
      07-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #233
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh lord. Another person that doesn't understand that the same paint on two different materials never does actually match.

You need to head on over to the Camaro forums if you want to see people frustrated with the fact that their plastic painted bumpers don't match their metal fenders hood and quarter panels.

And the funny part is that none of them realize it until they get into a minor fender bender.

Then a FIGHT is about to start until you take Camaro guy over to a dealership and look at new cars on the lot that look the same.
I am well aware of it and understand it...I just think they should be able to compensate to get it there...I've seen far fewer Porsches with this problem than I do BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #234
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I take OP comments about zippiness with a grain of salt. He’s on an ED and I doubt he has been WOT. He never mentioned any of this and quite frankly he’s probably respecting the break in period.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4171.00
      07-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #235
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Pretty lukewarm review so far; but you have to remember this is the FIRST review....breaking the embargo's cherry! Lol. Plenty more will follow...
      07-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #236
BlastedBilly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Dude if you tune the M2C it's going to be an ANIMAL!
Yeah, i specifically held out for the Comp for the tuning potential of the S55. Cant wait! Week 42 though so it'll be a while.
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4171.00
mikeahso411.50
      07-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #237
BlastedBilly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Pretty lukewarm review so far; but you have to remember this is the FIRST review....breaking the embargo's cherry! Lol. Plenty more will follow...
Would be awesome if all the journalists were like, "Well, the embargo's been broken. Post the reviews!"
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4171.00
10"4962.50
      07-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #238
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Would be awesome if all the journalists were like, "Well, the embargo's been broken. Post the reviews!"
Totally. The whole embargo thing is a joke...
      07-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #239
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am well aware of it and understand it...I just think they should be able to compensate to get it there...I've seen far fewer Porsches with this problem than I do BMWs.

Look at the screwy colors BMW currently uses. The more metallic flake in the color the more customers will notice the difference between painted metal and painted plastic ... especially on bright colors. Literally every bmw bright color now uses a lot of metallic flake except perhaps Yas Marina blue.

Customers with white and black cars aren't going to notice as much but LBB, AY, SO, the other SO, can never be matched on bumper and metal.

The issue of course is also most common on the chiclet colors of Camaro and challenger/charger American cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #240
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

the devil is in the detail$

Quote:
You may be right. I was on the verge of jumping on a Porsche 911 GT3 (in Touring trim, because I'm a grown-up) allocation. Such quality in the build. Sublime, in some ways. But, even lightly optioned, it was going to be $151k. And yes, we were going to get it in Europe.

As I figuratively sat on the fence, mulling over the situation, I saw the just-released article (C&D, don't remember) on the 2019 M2 Competition. And having loved our 1M for 3.5 years and 42k miles and then selling it --with a cracked OE windshield and OE tires below the wear bars-- for $1k less than we paid for it, I had an epiphany: Get the new M2.

Sure, maybe the paint is a touch less superb. Sure, the 911 is iconic. But for the Porsche price, my wife and I could each buy a new M2C and still have enough left over to pay cash for a new Honda Odyssey for her never-ending trips to the garden center. Decision made! (But we're getting just one M2C, and haven't decided on the minivan...)

OP, thanks a BUNCH for the add'l pics. One in particular really showed that your wheels are the black ones.

And for others contemplating ED and where to go and what to see, I say that Neuschwanstein is a tourist trap, and that Burg Eltz and many other castles are worth a visit before the Cinderella-looking one. OTOH, the OP has his 10 YO son along, who may not care that Neuschwanstein is only about 150 years old, and Burg Eltz has had generations of the same family living in it for more than 800 years!

See Burg Eltz on the way to the Nurburgring!
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      07-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #241
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
Quote:
You may be right. I was on the verge of jumping on a Porsche 911 GT3 (in Touring trim, because I'm a grown-up) allocation. Such quality in the build. Sublime, in some ways. But, even lightly optioned, it was going to be $151k. And yes, we were going to get it in Europe.

As I figuratively sat on the fence, mulling over the situation, I saw the just-released article (C&D, don't remember) on the 2019 M2 Competition. And having loved our 1M for 3.5 years and 42k miles and then selling it --with a cracked OE windshield and OE tires below the wear bars-- for $1k less than we paid for it, I had an epiphany: Get the new M2.

Sure, maybe the paint is a touch less superb. Sure, the 911 is iconic. But for the Porsche price, my wife and I could each buy a new M2C and still have enough left over to pay cash for a new Honda Odyssey for her never-ending trips to the garden center. Decision made! (But we're getting just one M2C, and haven't decided on the minivan...)

OP, thanks a BUNCH for the add'l pics. One in particular really showed that your wheels are the black ones.

And for others contemplating ED and where to go and what to see, I say that Neuschwanstein is a tourist trap, and that Burg Eltz and many other castles are worth a visit before the Cinderella-looking one. OTOH, the OP has his 10 YO son along, who may not care that Neuschwanstein is only about 150 years old, and Burg Eltz has had generations of the same family living in it for more than 800 years!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Look at the screwy colors BMW currently uses. The more metallic flake in the color the more customers will notice the difference between painted metal and painted plastic ... especially on bright colors. Literally every bmw bright color now uses a lot of metallic flake except perhaps Yas Marina blue.

Customers with white and black cars aren't going to notice as much but LBB, AY, SO, the other SO, can never be matched on bumper and metal.

The issue of course is also most common on the chiclet colors of Camaro and challenger/charger American cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
Quote:

I agree...the mismatch would never stop me from buying or loving the colors...just a wish it would be better. Great ED recs for OP...I agree Neuschwanstein is a trap...glad I had already been there before my ED trip. That said, it seems to be an ED rite of passage!

And, BOhio, get the wife a moderately, but selectively, optioned 718 for that Porsche experience.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 07-22-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #242
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
I knew I'm going to take some sh!t for that comment... The lack of zippiness of the car is the only thing that has surprised me, to be honest. Those who know and review cars for a living will probably describe this as a normally aspirated engine curve, or one that is quite linear and predictable. Which is not a bad thing necessarily.

It can't be that BMW couldn't make it drive like the R. I'm sure they could have just mapped the throttle curve steeper. It's got way more power, so that's not the problem. Perhaps with the R, being AWD, they can get away with it.

The fact the car is sound proofed well is nothing to whine about. As you can hear from my vid, the exhaust does make plenty of noise. If you expect it to be that loud with your windows up, you'll need to get yourself an aftermarket one. I used to drive with my windows cracked open to hear my exhaust.
Thanks, OP. Was looking for your review on the engine. I ordered the M2 because i missed my old FBO 335 N54 power curve, that car could spin the tires at speed. Great pictures, the wife and i just came back from germany and switzerland two weeks ago and the swiss have some of the best roads but the speed enforcement there was crazy!
Appreciate 0