BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

03-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #617
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsPhi135 View Post
Any information or tests with the ARM motorsport intercooler compared to others?
Its a good option for the price

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #618
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Took 3 nights and read thru the 30 pages. Still don't know which one to get. Equally confused. I don't want to be cutting anything or removing it altogether. I, like the guy who also posted before, just want an IC that just bolts on and works. I don't want to hear any marketing BS either. Just facts since I also don't want to be importing this here only to find out it's not fitting correctly. It's been a year since then and VRSF has not made any effort to be more clear.

This IC is going to mount on a M2 LCI. I don't know if it has a brace and for sure if it does I don't want to be messing w/ it. I will also get a charge pipe and a down pipe along w/ this purchase. After I will get the BM3 OTS-1 or 2.

Exactly how many different kinds of VRSF FMIC are there anyways? I know they have the smaller they call HD, and then one they call RACE. So which one is the COMP?

Last edited by vrooooom; 03-17-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #619
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Took 3 nights and read thru the 30 pages. Still don't know which one to get. Equally confused. I don't want to be cutting anything or removing it altogether. I, like the guy who also posted before, just want an IC that just bolts on and works. I don't want to hear any marketing BS either. Just facts since I also don't want to be importing this here only to find out it's not fitting correctly. It's been a year since then and VRSF has not made any effort to be more clear.

This IC is going to mount on a M2 LCI. I don't know if it has a brace and for sure if it does I don't want to be messing w/ it. I will also get a charge pipe and a down pipe along w/ this purchase. After I will get the BM3 OTS-1 or 2.

Exactly how many different kinds of VRSF FMIC are there anyways? I know they have the smaller they call HD, and then one they call RACE. So which one is the COMP?
You can find it here - it's on sale through VRSF direct, so they may be able to match the price.

https://topgearsolutions.com/vrsf-6-...-435i-n20-n55/
I would do the Competition model over the VRSF 5", Wagner Evo/Performance 1&2, CSF Intercooler, AA, CTS, etc.

The Evolution Raceworks model may be better than VRSF competition if you plan on tracking/driving the car (taller frontal area.) The ER model is also made in USA (if that matters) and is lighter than a something like the VRSF Race or Wagner Evo 3
      03-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #620
RsPhi135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I remember reading somewhere on this thread that the VRSF competition has fitment issue with the m2. unless that was fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #621
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

you'll need a 5" intercooler if you do not want to do any cutting. the most popular options for our customers are the MAD 5" and the Active Autowerke

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #622
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
you'll need a 5" intercooler if you do not want to do any cutting. the most popular options for our customers are the MAD 5" and the Active Autowerke
The CSF I have needed no cutting or modifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #623
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got my MAD charge pipe, ftp boost pipe and Wagner EVO 1 competition intercooler this week. Thanks Mike, Getting them installed tomorrow. Will chime back in after the install is done. I'm 100 percent stock btw, and just got this to help with the soon coming Texas heat. Might do a stage 1 tune but that's it !
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #624
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_M2 View Post
Got my MAD charge pipe, ftp boost pipe and Wagner EVO 1 competition intercooler this week. Thanks Mike, Getting them installed tomorrow. Will chime back in after the install is done. I'm 100 percent stock btw, and just got this to help with the soon coming Texas heat. Might do a stage 1 tune but that's it !
I know this will sound rude, but I don’t get how you could read any thread in this forum and come to this conclusion. Good luck and post before and after logs.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #625
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Amuro, you really like the VRSF it seems. May I know why? Seems I hear a lot of fitment and customer service issue w/ them while on the other hand CSF seems to be a straight fit.

I like the ER model but a bit concern on its install. I hear the bumper needs to be removed? and is that true, the weight is @ 35 lbs? Is that a typo?

The ARM Motor looks the same as the ER for less.

The Active Autowerke seems like a smaller CSF.

The real question is how well these all work keeping the IAT close to ambient.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #626
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Just get the csf. Its been discussed here how it performs the same as vrsf HD. It has great thermal capacity and a good price. If youre concerned about fitnent i can tell you the csf fits because i have it. That being said, if youre living in the philippines, its gonna be HOT. And if youre living in the capital, youre gonna be stuck in stop and go traffic most of the time. No amount of intercooling capacity will save you from heat soak. Youre better off running meth/water injection combined with a decent intercooler upgrade in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #627
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Amuro, you really like the VRSF it seems. May I know why? Seems I hear a lot of fitment and customer service issue w/ them while on the other hand CSF seems to be a straight fit.

I like the ER model but a bit concern on its install. I hear the bumper needs to be removed? and is that true, the weight is @ 35 lbs? Is that a typo?
It's not that I "Like" VRSF more or less than anything else, but I appreciate it's value. It's going to outcool a CSF, and cost less - why pay more?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=46

Stated here, the ER is 23lbs.

Quote:
The ARM Motor looks the same as the ER for less.

https://www.armmotorsports.com/produ...tercooler-fmic
Per ARM, their core is 14/fins and the ER is 18-20/fins - in an absolute sense, the ER will cool better.

Quote:
The Active Autowerke seems like a smaller CSF.

The real question is how well these all work keeping the IAT close to ambient.
The more surface area, the better. I just don't see the advantage to paying more for less performance, but other opinions here will differ. Outside of some added depth (5" for the AA and 5.5" for the CSF) I don't think there is a huge difference.

Both the ER and the VRSF will fit with no cutting, and X-PH has the ER on sale right now. If you're leery of VRSF quality and customer service, it's the next best in my opinion.
      03-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #628
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I know this will sound rude, but I don’t get how you could read any thread in this forum and come to this conclusion. Good luck and post before and after logs.
No offense taken. Their are a few M2's down here with stock intercoolers. Do they pull timing on extremely hot days. I'm sure they do. I dont track my car. I might goose it here and there. That's it. I just wanted something a little bigger to improve it. Its bigger than stock, pressure drop should be minimal. No lag. How many people put huge intercoolers on their car and end up pi$$ed off because of pressure drop and lag? Quite a few. So just because I didnt go out and get the intercooler of your choice because you are the all mighty intercooler god .....um....F that. I guess all intercoolers besides the one you are in love with should be destroyed.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #629
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
No offense taken. Their are a few M2's down here with stock intercoolers. Do they pull timing on extremely hot days. I'm sure they do. I dont track my car. I might goose it here and there. That's it. I just wanted something a little bigger to improve it. Its bigger than stock, pressure drop should be minimal. No lag. How many people put huge intercoolers on their car and end up pi$$ed off because of pressure drop and lag? Quite a few.
I'm with you on this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #630
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No offense taken. Their are a few M2's down here with stock intercoolers. Do they pull timing on extremely hot days. I'm sure they do. I dont track my car. I might goose it here and there. That's it. I just wanted something a little bigger to improve it. Its bigger than stock, pressure drop should be minimal. No lag. How many people put huge intercoolers on their car and end up pi$$ed off because of pressure drop and lag? Quite a few. So just because I didnt go out and get the intercooler of your choice because you are the all mighty intercooler god .....um....F that. I guess all intercoolers besides the one you are in love with should be destroyed.

Literally no one. Seriously, literally no one. But good on you for making your choice to spite me, I guess.

Please post logs before and after, if you can.
      03-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #631
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not that I "Like" VRSF more or less than anything else, but I appreciate it's value. It's going to outcool a CSF, and cost less - why pay more?
I bought one for that exact reason. It's all good till you have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #632
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Literally no one. Seriously, literally no one. But good on you for making your choice to spite me, I guess.

Please post logs before and after, if you can.
I read this thread a few times. I dont think anyone really reviewed the Wagner EVO 1 competition on a stock tune or stage 1. Why not me. I am not scared. Lol. I might wait until it gets hot down here though in a couple weeks. I might be new here but I'm not new to modifying turbocharged cars. Been doing it on various VW's and my last 2012 stage 2 TT RS for over 20 years. I Know they arent bimmers but the concept is the same!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #633
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
...That being said, if youre living in the philippines, its gonna be HOT. And if youre living in the capital, youre gonna be stuck in stop and go traffic most of the time. No amount of intercooling capacity will save you from heat soak. Youre better off running meth/water injection combined with a decent intercooler upgrade in my opinion.
In this scenario, would using Stage 2 put the engine in any danger of extreme knocking? If it's congested anyways, the car won't be going to be revving up to places. But as soon as it clears up, would it take a while for it to cool back down? The heavier IC would be slower to release the heat gain.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #634
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Armuro, The link you posted mentioned something about a brace being sent out as well. Is it too tall? I'm sure it's not the thickness coz it's only 3" as opposed to the others that is 5" to even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #635
raywhey
Rep
Drives: M2

Anyone know if the VRSF 6.5 comp will require any mods or is it a drop in?

Possibly stage 2 when it gets warmer, mild street use only.

Already have upgraded charge pipe and DP installed, will possible get an aftermarket boost pipe as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #636
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In this scenario, would using Stage 2 put the engine in any danger of extreme knocking? If it's congested anyways, the car won't be going to be revving up to places. But as soon as it clears up, would it take a while for it to cool back down? The heavier IC would be slower to release the heat gain.
A heavy IC can soak up more heat, a smaller IC isn't going to cool down quicker.

Quote:
Armuro, The link you posted mentioned something about a brace being sent out as well. Is it too tall? I'm sure it's not the thickness coz it's only 3" as opposed to the others that is 5" to even more.
I think the M2 (I have a M235i) has an additional brace in the bumper. ER sends on the modified part with their kit, which is a nice touch. And yes, I'm guessing that's because it's 11" tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywhey View Post
Anyone know if the VRSF 6.5 comp will require any mods or is it a drop in?

Possibly stage 2 when it gets warmer, mild street use only.

Already have upgraded charge pipe and DP installed, will possible get an aftermarket boost pipe as well.
It should work. Another member had it, and it fit for him.
      03-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #637
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

Sounds like you and I have similar thoughts on ICs for our particular cars. Provided below is my review of the Wagner EVO Comp I IC for my M235 which is running a Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback, catted DP, MPE, and M2 lower airbox (~370whp/390wtq). I've been very pleased with the performance of my Wagner EVO Comp I IC.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1773277
      03-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #638
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Stage 2 definitely generates a lot more heat. And no, if youre in stop and go traffic you cannot go full throttle right away. I think a less dense intercooler may help you cool faster but ultimate heat capacity will be less. The heavier intercoolers are well suited for track use.
Appreciate 0