BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M2 LCI tail lights retrofitted on pre-LCI M2

11-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #45
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Those LED's you linked, since they're black can you see that from outside once installed? Thanks!
Sorta not really.
Attached Images

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 11-24-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
NO_USER_537.50
Poochie9099.00
      11-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Sorta not really.
Thanks, looks great! Nice exhaust tips BTW
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #47
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Sorta not really.
Thanks, looks great! Nice exhaust tips BTW
Remus
      11-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #48
bdon_
;-;
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
UPDATE A: I was able to get my hands on a UK RHD LCI to read the coding BMW have use. The link below is to a spreadsheet detailing the differences from the pre LCI vs LCI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gof7lh1sg8...-0.2.xlsx?dl=0 THESE VALUES HAVE BEEN APPLIED TO MY PRE-LCI AND CONFIRMED AS WORKING
Thank you so much for the spreadsheet. I found this extremely helpful. There are a lot of different coding recommendations out there, but I found your spreadsheet to be the most complete.

I also choose to leave the extra wires pinned in the old 8-pin connector, wrapped and tucked behind the tail light.

Only issue was that after I coded each item (in bimmercode expert mode), I was getting a left and right brake light failure alert, only after holding the brake for 5 or so seconds. I ended up setting BL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG and BL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG to nicht_aktiv and everything is working perfectly. Perhaps this is due to not terminating the extra brake light wires? I can't really say.

Also, my pre-LCI tail lights had an additional connector on the back that I couldn't find discussed anywhere except the german site linked above. Turns out models after some time in 2016 have an extra connector which provides two additional ground wires. The new LCI tail lights don't require this so I wrapped and stowed with the other old 8-pin connector.

This german forum also goes into some detail where some experience a kind of flicker, like the kind commonly seen of LED lights on camera. They theorized the power management reducing voltage is to blame. I'm sensitive to this kind of flicker and I'm not seeing it, so most certainly with your instructions (setting PWM to fixed, and voltage level to 100% as you documented from your donor LCI M2), this sets it correctly.

Pinouts on the spreadsheet are extremely easy to follow. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #49
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Ho wort coding with HELC code should be the correct VO retrofitting code.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #50
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

@andrewc89

Hey bro, car looks tough, I could only imagine how loud that exhaust must sound with your Fabsport cat, city cops must love you..

Quick question, when you did the LCI taillight swap, did you find that the taillight LED light itself appeared a lot brighter than the original pre-LCI?

They're both LEDs but for some reason the European LCI taillight appears way brighter IMO.

I had to change the voltage level (13.7v) in the REM from the original, I just wanted to make sure that's just the way the taillight appears and I didn't use the wrong parameters for the coding and maybe over-juiced the power supply..

Everything else works perfectly..

BTW, Your rear fog light DYI thread was extraordinarily helpful; I have a ton of fun with tailgaters now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #51
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
@andrewc89

Hey bro, car looks tough, I could only imagine how loud that exhaust must sound with your Fabsport cat, city cops must love you..
Lol yes it's very loud but If I close the valves and drive in comfort it's about as quiet as OEM.

Quote:
Quick question, when you did the LCI taillight swap, did you find that the taillight LED light itself appeared a lot brighter than the original pre-LCI?
Yeah it's totally normal, don't sweat it. I think it just has to do with poor LED placement in the Pre-LCI cars.

Quote:
BTW, Your rear fog light DYI thread was extraordinarily helpful; I have a ton of fun with tailgaters now
Awesome, glad to hear
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      11-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #52
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive - Skyscraper Gr

Just got around to carrying this retrofit on my pre LCI M2. Took off the original lights but in addition to the 8 pin plug connector I unclipped I also have a two pin connector on both lights that goes to a sensor ( I think ) that is inside the cluster. I have the official BMW retrofit instructions and no mention of this.

Do I just tape this up as there is no location for it on new clusters ?

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Japper69; 11-06-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #53
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
Just got around to carrying this retrofit on my pre LCI M2. Took off the original lights but in addition to the 8 pin plug connector I unclipped I also have a two pin connector on both lights that goes to a sensor ( I think ) that is inside the cluster. I have the official BMW retrofit instructions and no mention of this.

Do I just tape this up as there is no location for it on new clusters ?

View post on imgur.com
Those two extra colored wires are for the brake light. You don't need them. Cap off the tips with electrical tape and wrap it around the original cable. See my pic below of my tail light mapping.. Top photo(left) & bottom photo (right).

Those [COLOR="DarkOrange"]brown[/COLOR] wires attached to the harness are for the Pre-LCI taillights [COLOR="DarkOrange"]only[/COLOR], you don't need them in the LCI tail lights. Long story why..

The link below should help also. Good luck

DIY: LCI Tailights https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1405431

Possible coding issue: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23338945
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Poochie,

I am aware of the extra wires from the 8 pin. Just not seen anybody mention / show the extra 2 pin connector. Looking at RealOEM it appears to e a change from late ‘16’ but not sure for what purpose.

I have heat shrink wrapped each of the 4 extra wires individually and then folded along main harness and cloth taped them in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #55
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Poochie,

I am aware of the extra wires from the 8 pin. Just not seen anybody mention / show the extra 2 pin connector. Looking at RealOEM it appears to e a change from late '16' but not sure for what purpose.

I have heat shrink wrapped each of the 4 extra wires individually and then folded along main harness and cloth taped them in place.
Great to hear you was able to figured it out

There was a short in pre-LCI tail lights after the initial production, due to the ground wire. So BMW added the two ground wires, harness, and different tail light covers on 2016 MY and beyond.

Since this issue was resolved when they revised the tail light designed on the LCI, the extra ground wires was not needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #56
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear you was able to figured it out

There was a short in pre-LCI tail lights after the initial production, due to the ground wire. So BMW added the two ground wires, harness, and different tail light covers on 2016 MY and beyond.

Since this issue was resolved when they revised the tail light designed on the LCI, the extra ground wires was not needed.
Great info Poochie, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #57
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Completed the install and coding lat week and found a couple of differences compared to official retrofit instructions so thought I would post here. Pin 1 on each new connector is different wire colour requirement. Still a brake light wire so sure no big issue.

All coding was very straight forward thanks again to all the excellent info shared on these forums.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #58
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Are reverse lights led on LCI clusters ?
      11-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #59
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Are reverse lights led on LCI clusters ?
No they are not, but can be replaced and coded with LED bulbs.

Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      11-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #60
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Started it up today for first time since retrofit. Got a left brake bulb failure message.

Checked pictures of wire / connector and all correct as per BMW instructions. Is this likely just a mistake i’ve made / missed when coding?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #61
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Started it up today for first time since retrofit. Got a left brake bulb failure message.

Checked pictures of wire / connector and all correct as per BMW instructions. Is this likely just a mistake i’ve made / missed when coding?

Probably. Just go back through and make sure of everything. It is easy to miss one line of code.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #62
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Probably. Just go back through and make sure of everything. It is easy to miss one line of code.
Confirmed, it was just one line of code for warm monitoring.

All sorted now 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #63
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Confirmed, it was just one line of code for warm monitoring.

All sorted now 👍
Glad to hear it.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #64
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
How did you guys pull out the tail light unit? I've loosened the two screws but can't manage to pull the unit out, probably because of the third connector inside the unit. I don't dare to put a tool between the glass and paint to bend because I dont want to damage the paint.

Pulling with my fingers didn't work either, don't get a good grip..

What's the secret?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #65
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
How did you guys pull out the tail light unit? I've loosened the two screws but can't manage to pull the unit out, probably because of the third connector inside the unit. I don't dare to put a tool between the glass and paint to bend because I dont want to damage the paint.

Pulling with my fingers didn't work either, don't get a good grip..

What's the secret?
Wiggle it around and it sort of unseats slightly upward from the outside corner and then comes out easy. Give it a good tug but dont use any tools to pry it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #66
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I completed today and can't get the lights to turn on.

Coding completed and checked twice. Also checked pins.

I'm at a loss.

What I did notice was the removing my pre-LCI wiring loom was an additional connection (2-pin) which has no home on the LCI lights.
Appreciate 0