10-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #4863
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
No problem. Certain parts may be a bit confusing. Use this as a helpful guide.

https://johnpierceesq.com/the-comple...he-new-form-1/

Reminder, an SBR is an NFA item and needs to be treated as one. You will be the only person allowed to fire it (unless you put it in a trust) and you must fill out paperwork if taken out of state for any reason.
Whoa. Only person to fire it? Where does that come from? This is a newsflash to me and I'd like clarification in this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #4864
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

I have never had an issue taking nfa items with me to hunt in different states. Anyone can shoot or use any nfa item you have as long as you are with them. They can’t take the, without you though
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #4865
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd0131 View Post
I have never had an issue taking nfa items with me to hunt in different states. Anyone can shoot or use any nfa item you have as long as you are with them. They can’t take the, without you though
I've heard conflicting things about this. I find it better to play it safe and add them to a trust.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #4866
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
No problem. Certain parts may be a bit confusing. Use this as a helpful guide.

https://johnpierceesq.com/the-comple...he-new-form-1/

Reminder, an SBR is an NFA item and needs to be treated as one. You will be the only person allowed to fire it (unless you put it in a trust) and you must fill out paperwork if taken out of state for any reason.
Let's clear up some things.

1. "Building" a SBR: Fill out the Form 1. Once approved, you may now "build" your SBR after you engrave the receiver. What that really means is that you may now attach a short barrel and stock to the lower receiver, but you must engrave the lower receiver first since you are the manufacturer of that SBR. i.e: You take your S&W lower receiver and have someone engrave your name and city on it, or the name of your Trust, or whatever name you used on the ATF Form 1.

2. Anyone can use your SBR if you are there with them. Only you, or the trustees listed in your Trust, may possess the NFA item. That means you and your friend can go to the range together, but you may not let him borrow your SBR.

3. If you wish to take your SBR, or other NFA item, out of state, or you move out of state, you must notify and get approval from the ATF in advance. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...s-atf/download

Please don't take my word for it. The ATF and many other sites have all of the information you need to be in legal compliance. The process isn't complicated, it just has to be done correctly.
Appreciate 4
      10-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #4867
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
My personal best, I’m calling this a sub-1 inch group.
That is a .7 inch group. Nice job.

Measure the group center to center of the holes, but that can be hard to do accurately. You can also measure outside edge to outside edge and then subtract the bullet diameter, like this:

1.09" - .308" = .701"

And of course there is an app for that. Check out Ballistic X if you're interested.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      10-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #4868
Kiefermeister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Thanks Shiza and Fly320s. I don't know if my PDWs will eventually need registrations...I feel like that day maybe coming if Biden is elected. I love the clean look of a stock and want to shoulder my saint edge and ddm4 pdw legally without getting paranoid. I'm one of those who always get in trouble if I just push my luck...so better safe than sorry I guess.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #4869
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefermeister View Post
Thanks Shiza and Fly320s. I don't know if my PDWs will eventually need registrations...I feel like that day maybe coming if Biden is elected. I love the clean look of a stock and want to shoulder my saint edge and ddm4 pdw legally without getting paranoid. I'm one of those who always get in trouble if I just push my luck...so better safe than sorry I guess.
Since you live in California, I'd say it is a matter of when, not if, you'll have more anti-gun laws and registrations.

Having your rifles SBR'd may allow you to bypass some of California's laws, but I don't know for sure. A gun forum such as CalGuns may be able to tell you more about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #4870
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If it feels good in your hand I have been happy with every Glock I have owned (I did not like the 21 and sold it, but that felt too big for my hands). I currently am carrying a 29 myself. The 45 is an interesting concept, trying to minimize footprint with a shorter slide but maximize the capacity with the normal frame. I also have a 19 that I really enjoy shooting. If the price is right!
Thank you both for the replies, I own a Glock 34 and the longer barrel is a very good guarantee for very precise shooting - but the recoil. The conceiled wearing is a smaller problem when wearing longer coates but during summer or hotter periods its more tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
The Glock 45 is basically a G19X in black instead of tan. Both guns are basically G19 slides and barrels on G17 frames.

So, if you like shorter barrels on full-size frames, and you like Glocks, then the G45 and G19X should work well for you.

I own a 19X because I like the full size frame and balance of the gun. With the G19 I can't quite get my pinky finger to get a good grip unless I use a mag pinky rest. The pinky fingers play a vital role in achieving a good grip.
I like full frames more than smaller ones, that comes maybe from the former training and exercises at my Army time Plus I need to have something into my hand and this hadnt to be extra small, I could handle the bigger ones
Dealer is asking (converted) 539,- USD w/o any mods or add ons and thats a quite fair price I think.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #4871
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Thank you both for the replies, I own a Glock 34 and the longer barrel is a very good guarantee for very precise shooting - but the recoil. The conceiled wearing is a smaller problem when wearing longer coates but during summer or hotter periods its more tricky.

I like full frames more than smaller ones, that comes maybe from the former training and exercises at my Army time Plus I need to have something into my hand and this hadnt to be extra small, I could handle the bigger ones
Dealer is asking (converted) 539,- USD w/o any mods or add ons and thats a quite fair price I think.
The one you posted a picture of looked heavily modded (lot of stippling and carved trigger guard). Would the one you get just be OEM? That does seem like a fair price. I paid just a tad more than that for my 29 recently and less for my 19 a few years ago. But also in different countries so prices don't always translate well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #4872
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
The gang:

1934 Tula M91/30 Mosin Nagant with hex receiver
1943 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
1943 Saginaw M1 Carbine

Hoping to buy a couple of M1903s next.
Fabulous, lovely to see some nice old pukka timber furniture Milsurps on here among all the modern plastic stuff
      10-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #4873
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I was at work today and during some downtime, I checked Texas Gun Trader. Noticed that the seller of this rifle had dropped the price by $75. We were able to coordinate a meeting time after I got off work in the evening, so I went for it. I was able to get him to drop the price a bit more. Yugo M48 with sling, 70 rounds of surplus ammo on clips, and a Yugo bandoleer. Totally unplanned, especially given that I picked up my M1903 yesterday lol.

Attachment 2429222
These are a good buy, given the way original 1935-45 era K98k prices have gone ballistic in recent years, especially if you actually want to shoot one rather than just collect them and never shoot them
      10-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #4874
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I ordered a Henry .357 for my wife last night, should be here by Tuesday.
My good friend has one the same, and he loves it, but his wife who also shoots couldn't get one with the tube mag loading, and she has a stainless steel Rossi M92 instead, which she much prefers.

I have to say, as good as the Henry is to shoot, I prefer to have a side loading gate in a lever action, and I wouldn't swap my Uberti 1873 in .45LC for any other type.
      10-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #4875
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
My good friend has one the same, and he loves it, but his wife who also shoots couldn't get one with the tube mag loading, and she has a stainless steel Rossi M92 instead, which she much prefers.

I have to say, as good as the Henry is to shoot, I prefer to have a side loading gate in a lever action, and I wouldn't swap my Uberti 1873 in .45LC for any other type.
I know there are better guns, and I'm a fan of the side loading gate of others but my wife loves Henry.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #4876
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know there are better guns, and I'm a fan of the side loading gate of others but my wife loves Henry.
They are very marmite guns, you either love them or hate them it seems, and that's all down to the tube loading, rather than the way they shoot or are made.

They certainly sell enough of them that they feel they don't need to have a side gate loading system, so you can't blame them for doing what they do. If sales were being damaged by not having a side loading gate, they would do so.
      10-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #4877
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
They are very marmite guns, you either love them or hate them it seems, and that's all down to the tube loading, rather than the way they shoot or are made.

They certainly sell enough of them that they feel they don't need to have a side gate loading system, so you can't blame them for doing what they do. If sales were being damaged by not having a side loading gate, they would do so.
So there are some interesting videos about Henry out there. And as I understand it now they are making a few guns with side loading gates, but the original design of lever guns was a tube magazine and the side loading gate was a development a few years in. My wife's first gun was a Henry Golden boy in 22LR. She picked it out and she loves it, I have to say that it has the smoothest action of any gun I've ever used. The Big Boy isn't as smooth but still has great fit and finish and decent action. Haven't had it out to the range yet as we're in the middle of moving but hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #4878
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So there are some interesting videos about Henry out there. And as I understand it now they are making a few guns with side loading gates
Yes, in some of the rifle calibre's, but not in the pistol calibre's.

Lever gun are very popular here in the UK, as they effectively 'replaced' handguns in short range club comps here after handguns were banned here in 1997, as most club ranges are 25m short ranges that were used for pistol shooting here in the UK, and with most people handloading for pistol calibre's, the lever guns naturally replaced handguns in short range comps here.

As a result I've pretty much had a go with just about all the main types, as we tend to borrow and try out each others rifles to try them.

In our small club, between members we have:
3 x Marlins (2 x 357 and 1 x 44mag)
2 x Henry Big Boy (both 357)
2 x Rossi M92 (both 357)
2 x Winchester 94AE (both 357)
1 x Chiappa Alaskan Takedown in .44mag
1 x Uberti 1873 carbine in .45LC - mine

Up until last year we also had another Marlin in .44mag and an original Winchester 1873 in 44-40 made back in 1906, but those two elderly members gave up shooting a while back and disposed of their guns.
      10-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #4879
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My dad's sharps rifle. I'd like to mounted above my fireplace mantle does anyone have a rifle mounted on the wall?
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Murf99314114.00
jamesinaz1627.00
chassis6373.50
dtox9336.00
      10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #4880
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My dad's sharps rifle. I'd like to mounted above my fireplace mantle does anyone have a rifle mounted on the wall?
That my friend is a keeper. We move to our new place tomorrow, 4 fireplaces with big wood mantles.....my wife's new Henry is going over the fireplace in the living room and I will definitely post a pick in a few days or a week or so when it's up. That beauty should be hung in a prominent place. Let us not forget our history.

I have my Great Grandfather's 12 Gauge Stevens pump shot gun which I love just for the history. He had a Winchester 1894 back in the day which one of his "hunt camp" friends got away from him before I could. I am still pissed about that 25 years later. History matter.s Peace out.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #4881
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome. Does it shoot commercially available modern ammo? What caliber?
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #4882
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
Awesome. Does it shoot commercially available modern ammo? What caliber?
I've never fired and don't have ammo for it. I can't remember if my dad ever fired it. I do know that he researched this rifle for years before he bought one.I had it appraised years ago but I think the guy lowballed me big time. I would need to have it refurbished before I ever thought of firing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #4883
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
upstatedoc Nice Sharps. gunbroker has them for sale, so you can get a rough idea of prices. Condition has a very strong effect on price, especially a price from a dealer.

Which caliber is your Sharps?

.45-70 ammo is generally available. .50-70 seems somewhat less available, but if you dig for it you will probably find a source.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #4884
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Quote:
upstatedoc Nice Sharps. gunbroker has them for sale, so you can get a rough idea of prices. Condition has a very strong effect on price, especially a price from a dealer.

Which caliber is your Sharps?

.45-70 ammo is generally available. .50-70 seems somewhat less available, but if you dig for it you will probably find a source.
Here's the appraisal if you can read it. I blocked out my name.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50