BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Off Season Tire Choice (Denver, CO)

10-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Off Season Tire Choice (Denver, CO)

Hey guys,

New BMW M2 owner here.

Frustrated this morning as we had a nice freezing rain here in Denver overnight. Went out and started my FJ62 to drive into work and got to scraping off the ice. Snapped my scraper in half and had to call an uber into work.

I was already flirting with the idea, but I think I am going to grab a set of "off-season" tires to throw on the oem wheels for the fall/winter/spring temperatures here in Denver that aren't ideal for our nice summer stickies. Denver doesn't experience a ton of snow days (contrary to what most folks in the country believe).

I want to make sure my thought process isn't too flawed here so I figured I would ask for others opinions.

2 Car Garage Situation:
BMW M2
Audi Q7 (Wife's Daily)

Outside in back drive:
1989 Land Cruiser

The Land Cruiser will obviously be fantastic for snow days and bad weather days. I daily'd the TLC for the last 3 years while saving up for an M2, so I am plenty happy driving around in it.

So, my thoughts are grab a good all-season tire that keeps me safe on cold dry days so I can continue to enjoy my M2 during the winter in Denver when I am able. I plan to throw my OEM Max Summer Performance tires on a set of summer wheels once they get here from Japan.

Sorry that was long winded ...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
ZQQM
Carbon Life form
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I’m in Chicago area, we do get snow but its plowed quickly and I don’t really need to go out if its really coming down. Seems like I deal more with wet streets, some slushy days and some REAL cold days here and there. But we also get some really weird weather, three years ago we had a 6 day 68-70° hot streak in February,, same winter no measurable snow for Jan/Feb.

I recently installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the stock 788M wheels. I did go with 255_275/35/19’s, which give more curb protection over the stock sizes. Stock suspension, no rubbing.

I went with Ultra High Performance All Season just cause I didn’t feel I needed a performance winter tire, with a slightly tighter usability window. The all season lets me keep it more flexible when I switch them out to the summer wheel / tire combo. And if needed, I could put them back on in the summer time if I have issues with the dedicated summer wheel / tire combo.

I’ve had a few experiences so far driving them in very heavy rain. They drove/handled great but their brand new with full tread depth, so yeah, they should.

2008 Exige S240

2006 C6 Z06 - track car
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
All-season tire = no-season tire

What you need is the old Dunlop Winter Sport M3...which is no longer made (and yeah, I don't like the M4).

The Alpin is your answer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=WinterSection
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
All-season tire = no-season tire

What you need is the old Dunlop Winter Sport M3...which is no longer made (and yeah, I don't like the M4).

The Alpin is your answer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=WinterSection

I understand this view point, but a lot of our days between October and April are well above 50 degrees. Then we also have a lot of 20 degrees and dry days.

So, trying to find something that allows flexibility while I can drive my land cruiser on the snowy/precipitation days.

I'd hate to get a set of tires that I just tear through on warm days.
      10-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
I understand this view point, but a lot of our days between October and April are well above 50 degrees. Then we also have a lot of 20 degrees and dry days.

So, trying to find something that allows flexibility while I can drive my land cruiser on the snowy/precipitation days.

I understand your position, I just hate no-season tires.

Conti FTW if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post

I understand your position, I just hate no-season tires.

Conti FTW if you have to.
To your point, I haven't had all season tires since ... 2012. I'm surprised by that fact. Seems like DWS 06 is the way to go from reviews and feedback ... thanks for giving me something to think about.
      10-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Fellow Denverite here. I have DWS 06 on my 228 and tested it this morning with our ice and light snow this morning on unplowed and plowed streets and it performed very satisfactorily. I felt quite safe and confident. BMWs traction control is really excellent. I know its not an M2 (open diff, smaller wheels, lower weight) but should give you a baseline of what to expect.
      10-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishRT View Post
Fellow Denverite here. I have DWS 06 on my 228 and tested it this morning with our ice and light snow this morning on unplowed and plowed streets and it performed very satisfactorily. I felt quite safe and confident. BMWs traction control is really excellent. I know its not an M2 (open diff, smaller wheels, lower weight) but should give you a baseline of what to expect.
Appreciate this feedback.

For days like today, my M2 will stay in the garage and I'll take the Land Cruiser out. Its nice to know, that in the event of an emergency and my Land Cruiser not working - I could still get out of the house albeit, cautiously.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I live next door in SLC and we have a similar weather situation. Most of the snow is in the mountains and its often above 50 in Jan and Feb. I ran DWS's on my M235i. They are fine for the conditions you're likely to find your self in, including light snow and light slush. Last winter I lived just a 5 min walk to work so true snow tires weren't needed. This year with the M2C, I bought the Alpin's because I drive 30 miles to my new job two times a month. I almost went with DWS's again but I don't have another daily for myself and the snow does fall hard and fast here (lake effect). That and I do snowboard a ton. The Alpin's are getting installed this week so I can't give you a comparison between them and the DWS's yet.

Last edited by CannibalOx; 10-26-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I just took off the Cup2s as they are comical in cold/wet German weather and put on a set of Hankook iCept Evo IIs. They work really well on slick, icy, slush and snow covered roads.
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
The 2 Performace Winter Tires I like are these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=181

Ignore the Dunlop. I have 5 cars worth of experience on the Sottozero's.

Lots of fun with a compound that sticks well to cold pavement...

Its not a full blown snow tire, but works well in all conditions and delivers a solid driving experience.

If you have driven on diehard snow tires they aren't designed for fast driving.

Both of these tires keep a smile on your face year round...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0