BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 N55 Limp mode/power loss

10-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
M2 N55 Limp mode/power loss

Ok decided to start a topic on this as I didn't come across anything specific like what I have.

So this issue will only happen in sport plus drive mode and manual gear shifting(dct), when doing an up shift full throttle it will engage the next gear then kill the power for a couple of seconds. Then it comes back in fine.

But today it repeated the same issue, followed by a drivetrain fault on the Idrive display. I managed to pull a few codes off BimmerCode. All of which cleared and returned to normal function.

To add, it's a 2018 LCI car, dct gearbox, no engine or exhaust mods, istep version 530.

I know people will say take it to the dealership, but I do like to investigate/fix issues myself where possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
Ok decided to start a topic on this as I didn't come across anything specific like what I have.

So this issue will only happen in sport plus drive mode and manual gear shifting(dct), when doing an up shift full throttle it will engage the next gear then kill the power for a couple of seconds. Then it comes back in fine.

But today it repeated the same issue, followed by a drivetrain fault on the Idrive display. I managed to pull a few codes off BimmerCode. All of which cleared and returned to normal function.

To add, it's a 2018 LCI car, dct gearbox, no engine or exhaust mods, istep version 530.

I know people will say take it to the dealership, but I do like to investigate/fix issues myself where possible.
Ok first off what kind of fuel are you using, maintence history, and is your charge pipe cracked.

Second did you get the codes from bimmer code or bimmer link? I would advise gettings ISTA and following the diagnostic pathway, it is the only useful code scanner for bmw imo the rest will only try to achieve what ISTA can do.

Third ISTEPS are F020_XX_XX_XXX format, the idrive displays an idrive fw version and really isn't as useful as an ISTEP number itself. But I do not see how ISTEP versions would be causing this issue.

Overall since you have a 2018 m2 I think its best to just bring it back to the dealer and let them sort it out for you since you are still under warranty.
      10-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

Ok first off what kind of fuel are you using, maintence history, and is your charge pipe cracked.

Second did you get the codes from bimmer code or bimmer link? I would advise gettings ISTA and following the diagnostic pathway, it is the only useful code scanner for bmw imo the rest will only try to achieve what ISTA can do.

Third ISTEPS are F020_XX_XX_XXX format, the idrive displays an idrive fw version and really isn't as useful as an ISTEP number itself. But I do not see how ISTEP versions would be causing this issue.

Overall since you have a 2018 m2 I think its best to just bring it back to the dealer and let them sort it out for you since you are still under warranty.
1. Fuel I'm using 99 either tesco or shell, as far as charge pipe not sure but it strange how the car runs perfectly in comfort or sport mode.

2. Sorry typo on my part, I used BimmerLink. But yeah ista would be a better diagnostic tool to use.

3. The istep was something like F020-18-07-530 can't remember exact no. Got this off esys. Thought I'd mention it as sometimes there are known software issues.

Will attempt to diagnose further, if no luck then dealer it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
1. Fuel I'm using 99 either tesco or shell, as far as charge pipe not sure but it strange how the car runs perfectly in comfort or sport mode.

2. Sorry typo on my part, I used BimmerLink. But yeah ista would be a better diagnostic tool to use.

3. The istep was something like F020-18-07-530 can't remember exact no. Got this off esys. Thought I'd mention it as sometimes there are known software issues.

I saw your other post, did you do some coding before this popped up?

If so you should have mentioned that, but the solution if indeed this was caused by the coding is to use ista and use the code function to reset each module back to how it was from the factory. Do not use code default.
      10-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I saw your other post, did you do some coding before this popped up?

If so you should have mentioned that, but the solution if indeed this was caused by the coding is to use ista and use the code function to reset each module back to how it was from the factory. Do not use code default.
Yeah I did reset it all back to F087 settings. But the car was doing this before coding.

Thought maybe the reports of more relaxed mdm in gts setting may help if it was this that was intervening and causing a throttle cut.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Another limp mode today again in sport +
Also threw on drivetrain light.
Some different codes this time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Another limp mode today again in sport +
Also threw on drivetrain light.
Some different codes this time.
Note: I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I know you're aware that this is going to be said, but, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. You're still under warranty and you need documentation in case this becomes an issue that cannot be fixed and requires legal action against BMW.

I do Song-Beverly litigation in California (our version of Lemon Law), and you may have potential recourse under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 if this issue is not resolved in the correct timeframe and number of repair attempts by the dealer. But your award (at least under California law) is reduced the longer your wait to take the vehicle into the dealership and inform them of this issue.

Best of luck troubleshooting, but take it into the dealer ASAP and let them try to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Note: I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I know you're aware that this is going to be said, but, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. You're still under warranty and you need documentation in case this becomes an issue that cannot be fixed and requires legal action against BMW.

I do Song-Beverly litigation in California (our version of Lemon Law), and you may have potential recourse under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 if this issue is not resolved in the correct timeframe and number of repair attempts by the dealer. But your award (at least under California law) is reduced the longer your wait to take the vehicle into the dealership and inform them of this issue.

Best of luck troubleshooting, but take it into the dealer ASAP and let them try to fix it.
None of that matters because OP is based in UK not USA.

OP just take it to the dealer. end of thread
Appreciate 1
F87source7245.50
      10-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
None of that matters because OP is based in UK not USA.

OP just take it to the dealer. end of thread
Yes, it does. If you read my comment you would see the reference to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the controlling legal doctrine involving manufacturer failure to repair consumer goods in the UK.

As in the corollary US law, the dealership is entitled to attempt to repair the vehicle. Upon their failure, the consumer has the onus to prove that the defect was latent or otherwise existed within the first 6 months after purchase of the vehicle.

So, literally everything I said was relevant to the OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it does. If you read my comment you would see the reference to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the controlling legal doctrine involving manufacturer failure to repair consumer goods in the UK.

As in the corollary US law, the dealership is entitled to attempt to repair the vehicle. Upon their failure, the consumer has the onus to prove that the defect was latent or otherwise existed within the first 6 months after purchase of the vehicle.

So, literally everything I said was relevant to the OP.
But did the issue happen within the first 6 months of the purchase of the vehicle? It's a 2018 car so it's a couple of years old now and there is no way the OP drove it like this for 2 years and only waited to complain until now.

It also sounds like OP might have done an ISTEP update at home along with some coding. So this one is directed at the OP.

OP when did this issue start becoming apparent? Also did you update the ISTEP yourself or do anything that initially started to cause these issues?

Because if you did an ISTEP update yourself and then the issues arose you are going to have extreme difficulties explaining why your ISTEP doesn't match what bmw has for your car, and if that caused the issue they could literally leave you out to dry no matter what any lawyer says or tries to do.

But if none of this pertains to OP, then bring it to the dealer and let them fix it. There is a high likely hood they can fix it because bmw has really good diagnostics software to help pin the issue down - unlike alot of american cars that have no such equivalent to ISTA's test and diagnostics path ways.
      10-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #11
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
How's this a manufacture's issue?

He played with the coding and is probably afraid of having the car flagged.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But did the issue happen within the first 6 months of the purchase of the vehicle? It's a 2018 car so it's a couple of years old now and there is no way the OP drove it like this for 2 years and only waited to complain until now.

It also sounds like OP might have done an ISTEP update at home along with some coding. So this one is directed at the OP.

OP when did this issue start becoming apparent? Also did you update the ISTEP yourself or do anything that initially started to cause these issues?

Because if you did an ISTEP update yourself and then the issues arose you are going to have extreme difficulties explaining why your ISTEP doesn't match what bmw has for your car, and if that caused the issue they could literally leave you out to dry no matter what any lawyer says or tries to do.

But if none of this pertains to OP, then bring it to the dealer and let them fix it. There is a high likely hood they can fix it because bmw has really good diagnostics software to help pin the issue down - unlike alot of american cars that have no such equivalent to ISTA's test and diagnostics path ways.
The issue doesn't have to actually manifest in the first 6 months, it merely has to be present on the car. A latent defect may be present on the car but may manifest at a later date. Say, for instance, the weak charge pipes we have on the OG M2. While they may not crack until later in the life of the car, the defect existed in the poor design and manufacture of the part and was on the car at the time of purchase.

You're correct that the issue OP is suffering could be related to tuning, it may have just been a coincidental fault. At least under CA law (I do not pretend to be well versed in the specifics of the UK law), the manufacturer has the burden of proving that the failure should not be covered as a result of modifications.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
How's this a manufacture's issue?

He played with the coding and is probably afraid of having the car flagged.
If the failure wasn't directly caused by the tuning, then the manufacturer is still responsible for fixing it.

But in all likelihood, it was the modifications to the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The issue doesn't have to actually manifest in the first 6 months, it merely has to be present on the car. A latent defect may be present on the car but may manifest at a later date. Say, for instance, the weak charge pipes we have on the OG M2. While they may not crack until later in the life of the car, the defect existed in the poor design and manufacture of the part and was on the car at the time of purchase.

You're correct that the issue OP is suffering could be related to tuning, it may have just been a coincidental fault. At least under CA law (I do not pretend to be well versed in the specifics of the UK law), the manufacturer has the burden of proving that the failure should not be covered as a result of modifications.
The charge pipe is an iffy example because in most cases the charge pipe is able to last until the warranty is over, and on other n55 cars (x series) with the same part it might not even fail. The large majority of cases you hear about is from enthusiasts who push their cars harder than normal.

So if bmw is willing to replace these parts while under warranty and or the parts last longer than the warranty period and if the number of total failures of the same charge pipe model number during the warranty is low how can you attribute that to defect or normal wear and tear? Because everything will fail given enough time.

The best example is Subaru with the EJ257 engine on the sti, WRX, and forester. These engines are absolute garbage imo, and have a terrible piston ring land failure issue due to the super brittle pison material and poor oem tune that knocks alot. You will see many of these engines fail and be replaced by warranty and if you call around and ask the owners of used EJ257 powered cars that are up for sale they will tell you it has a new engine more often than not. Yet subaru has never been sued successfully by any lemon law suit because the number of failures within warranty is small compared to the number of engines that fail out of warranty so it is hard to pin it on a design defect rather than neglect, lack of maintence or sheer bad luck - especially if the manufacturer will repair the motor without hassle under warranty.

So imo don't rely on lemon laws unless you get an electrical issue (mechanical issues will likely never win lemon law suits as they are easy to diagnose and fix with new parts) that will never go away and keep coming up over and over - and that is not too common on bmws.
      10-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #15
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So imo don't rely on lemon laws unless you get an electrical issue (mechanical issues will likely never win lemon law suits as they are easy to diagnose and fix with new parts) that will never go away and keep coming up over and over - and that is not too common on bmws.
As someone who tries these cases regularly, I have to disagree. The BMW N54 engine is routinely the source of lemon law litigation due to excess oil consumption caused by poor design of the ring pack. The recent iterations have mostly done away with this issue, but I have personally litigated several of these.

The N54 also had numerous crank case ventilation pipe failures. So many, in fact, that the warranty has been extended to 10 years and 120,000 miles. And they redesigned the pipe with a different material and construction to avoid the failures.

The Jeep compass had throttle bodies that would fail and cause a limp-mode.

The Ford powershift transmission was subject mechanical failures and led to one of the largest class action lemon law suits in the last decade.

The new Macan's transfer case has been blowing up and Porsche just extended the warranty on that.

A number of new F-150s have had their AC compressors failing repeatedly.

There are plenty of examples of mechanical failures that have led to successful lemon law claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:13 AM   #16
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ok, so just to clarify the istep version has not been altered to my knowledge.

I have done some coding bits nothing major. But yeah I know bmw are more aware of things these days and will find any excuse to get out of stuff.

I use the car as a daily, it spends majority of its time in comfort or sport. It's only when I go for a weekend blast I'll flick it into sport plus. As this is the only drive mode the issue appears I'm not sure I could pinpoint how long it's been doing it for.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As someone who tries these cases regularly, I have to disagree. The BMW N54 engine is routinely the source of lemon law litigation due to excess oil consumption caused by poor design of the ring pack. The recent iterations have mostly done away with this issue, but I have personally litigated several of these.

The N54 also had numerous crank case ventilation pipe failures. So many, in fact, that the warranty has been extended to 10 years and 120,000 miles. And they redesigned the pipe with a different material and construction to avoid the failures.

The Jeep compass had throttle bodies that would fail and cause a limp-mode.

The Ford powershift transmission was subject mechanical failures and led to one of the largest class action lemon law suits in the last decade.

The new Macan's transfer case has been blowing up and Porsche just extended the warranty on that.

A number of new F-150s have had their AC compressors failing repeatedly.

There are plenty of examples of mechanical failures that have led to successful lemon law claims.
Fair enough

Quote:
Ok, so just to clarify the istep version has not been altered to my knowledge.

I have done some coding bits nothing major. But yeah I know bmw are more aware of things these days and will find any excuse to get out of stuff.

I use the car as a daily, it spends majority of its time in comfort or sport. It's only when I go for a weekend blast I'll flick it into sport plus. As this is the only drive mode the issue appears I'm not sure I could pinpoint how long it's been doing it for.
Most likely coding changes cannot be detected because it just turns on and off parameters already in the car. It is not like flash tuning where you trigger a flash counter, and other ecu's and counters for fuel and load in the car. Or piggy back tuning where you trigger plausibility factors again you are always under boosting but why is the car using so much fuel etc. So unless you tuned your car or flashed a new ISTEP you can revert coding back to stock and take it to the dealer - it theoretically should not be detectable but if it is technically it shouldn't void the warranty because it is just turning on features already built in. But all bets are off if bmw decides to void the warranty because they could make the assertion some coding features like MDM and GHAS were not designed for the m2 which it wasn't - despite being the same part.