BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Let's discuss "driveability" tune (FL): BM3 v Carbahn v ECUtek v Custom?

10-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #23
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
Does anyone have any experience with alex@alpine? I see many m3/4's are happy with his tune. Many speak of his tune having great daily drivability and a linear power band with no jerky throttle. I have a 21 comp getting delivered in a few weeks and am looking at options.
I know Alex. He's as reliable and friendly as they come. Do not worry about working with him. He's legit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #24
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
2019 m2 Competition 6MT on a Mustang Dynamometer

Apologies in advance that baseline vs tune were done on 2 different days. Kept detailed info on weather to try and maintain a comparison of sorts. Wtq was lower than I expected but it was on the stock run as well. As the wtq gains are almost as good as the whp gains, I'm just going to focus on the net gains and chalk the wtq baseline to the dyno.

Relevant Mods:
  • Active Autowerke Single (not EL) Mid Pipe
  • Remus Race Axle-back Exhaust
  • aFe Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filters (charcoals removed)
  • Carbahn Stage 1 Software F8X M2C

Dyno Day Details:
  • Same dyno used for both days
  • All runs in 4th gear
  • Half a tank of gas both times
  • 8/6 (run 1) weather = stock map / temp 72 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 75
  • 10/6 (runs 2 & 3) weather = CB stg 1 map / temp 55 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 62
I like those numbers, especially on a mustang dyno. They don’t call it the “heartbreaker” for nothing! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      10-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #25
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
2019 m2 Competition 6MT on a Mustang Dynamometer

Apologies in advance that baseline vs tune were done on 2 different days. Kept detailed info on weather to try and maintain a comparison of sorts. Wtq was lower than I expected but it was on the stock run as well. As the wtq gains are almost as good as the whp gains, I'm just going to focus on the net gains and chalk the wtq baseline to the dyno.

Relevant Mods:
  • Active Autowerke Single (not EL) Mid Pipe
  • Remus Race Axle-back Exhaust
  • aFe Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filters (charcoals removed)
  • Carbahn Stage 1 Software F8X M2C

Dyno Day Details:
  • Same dyno used for both days
  • All runs in 4th gear
  • Half a tank of gas both times
  • 8/6 (run 1) weather = stock map / temp 72 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 75
  • 10/6 (runs 2 & 3) weather = CB stg 1 map / temp 55 / humidity 86% / "real feel shade" 62
I like those numbers, especially on a mustang dyno. They don’t call it the “heartbreaker” for nothing! Thanks for sharing.
Yeah. I'm beyond thrilled. My remaining list is cooling upgrades (likely the full mishimoto line), oil cooler guard (whenever turner releases a legit one), and suspension (prob litchfield ast kit). That's it. Happy with power, braking, and looks.
pz6193275.50
      10-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #26
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Yeah. I'm beyond thrilled. My remaining list is cooling upgrades (likely the full mishimoto line), oil cooler guard (whenever turner releases a legit one), and suspension (prob litchfield ast kit). That's it. Happy with power, braking, and looks.
Would you happen to have any acceleration videos?

Powerband looks great! Might be a bit of a happy dyno as that would be it’s making 530ish whp on a dyno jet
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #27
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
Quote:
Would you happen to have any acceleration videos?

Powerband looks great! Might be a bit of a happy dyno as that would be it's making 530ish whp on a dyno jet
Wouldn't disagree with you except for the baseline being completely within range of what I was expecting. Same dyno, same dyno operator, same exact settings, etc. No other mods were done between August and today. Just the weather and the tune.

No acceleration vids. I'll invest in something to record other than my phone and get something before i garage it for the winter.
      10-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #28
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't disagree with you except for the baseline being completely within range of what I was expecting. Same dyno, same dyno operator, same exact settings, etc. No other mods were done between August and today. Just the weather and the tune.

No acceleration vids. I'll invest in something to record other than my phone and get something before i garage it for the winter.
Valid point. Although I don’t think a stock m2c will dyno 400 on a mustang dyno. Either way the power is impressive!
More importantly, how’s the car feel?? Any traction issues in third gear?

Looking forward to the vids
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Valid point. Although I don't think a stock m2c will dyno 400 on a mustang dyno. Either way the power is impressive!
More importantly, how's the car feel?? Any traction issues in third gear?

Looking forward to the vids
Trust me. I was surprised. Doing a dynojet in the spring before it gets hot. Will do stock vs tuned same day there. The dyno was really to make sure i wasn't over a certain number as I'd like to wait to do crank hub fix at warranty end. So even if the numbers are somehow extra, it doesn't change my plans.

Car feels amazing. Traction issues in 3rd on tires not up to temp. Also on any uphill even if it's slight. But it's always manageable. I feel like i can modulate much better with a stick but that may be in my head. I guess i should add a wider rear setup now that I'm typing this out.

The car is an absolute monster on the highway. My s4 would eat this car off the line but I've never felt anything like this on the highway. I joke with my buddy that the m1/2 buttons are like push to pass/DRS now. I find myself using comfort a lot more now. I couldn't stand it before. Even in the settings it was intended for.
      10-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #30
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Trust me. I was surprised. Doing a dynojet in the spring before it gets hot. Will do stock vs tuned same day there. The dyno was really to make sure i wasn't over a certain number as I'd like to wait to do crank hub fix at warranty end. So even if the numbers are somehow extra, it doesn't change my plans.

Car feels amazing. Traction issues in 3rd on tires not up to temp. Also on any uphill even if it's slight. But it's always manageable. I feel like i can modulate much better with a stick but that may be in my head. I guess i should add a wider rear setup now that I'm typing this out.

The car is an absolute monster on the highway. My s4 would eat this car off the line but I've never felt anything like this on the highway. I joke with my buddy that the m1/2 buttons are like push to pass/DRS now. I find myself using comfort a lot more now. I couldn't stand it before. Even in the settings it was intended for.

Sounds like a riot!
I’ll have to reach out to Carbahn and confirm how legit their warranty is before I pull the trigger, but I’m sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Sounds like a riot!
I’ll have to reach out to Carbahn and confirm how legit their warranty is before I pull the trigger, but I’m sold.
It's legit.

I had a software issue cause a fault on the car (hesitation at high rpm). Steve Dinan himself called me on the Fourth of July, discussed the issue with me, and then told me to take it to the dealer, have them read the codes and send the results to Carbahn.

They determined that it was an error in the programming and instructed me to have the dealer pull the ECU, ship it to them, they'd reflash it and send it back to the dealer for installation.

Total out of pocket cost for me? $0.00-- not a penny.

They stand by their warranty, and Chris (and Steve) couldn't have been better about it.
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      10-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #32
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I've ran both AlpineMSS and Bootmod3.

Power felt similar on both but bootmod3 felt more violent for sure. Drivability wise, AlpineMSS was more drivable, bm3 feels more thrilling if that makes sense.

Both are great, although I do prefer the support and drivability of AlpineMSS.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #33
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase2addict View Post
Does anyone have any experience with alex@alpine? I see many m3/4's are happy with his tune. Many speak of his tune having great daily drivability and a linear power band with no jerky throttle. I have a 21 comp getting delivered in a few weeks and am looking at options.
He's great. I went into limp mode once on a Sunday, texted him and he responded in minutes. Wasn't because of the tune, and wasn't the crankhub.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #34
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but carbahn does allow you to code off the CEL from DPs, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #35
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but carbahn does allow you to code off the CEL from DPs, correct?
Carbahn/Dinan won't help if you are catless. In order to retain CA compliance, their tunes have all the emission checks on. Below is from their website (carbahn).

"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it’s illegal."
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #36
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Carbahn/Dinan won't help if you are catless. In order to retain CA compliance, their tunes have all the emission checks on. Below is from their website (carbahn).

"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it’s illegal."
Exactly. The only choice you have on Carbahn is "more burbles/less burbles" for a $100 (I think?) uncharge.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #37
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:

Exactly. The only choice you have on Carbahn is "more burbles/less burbles" for a $100 (I think?) uncharge.
And go "light" burbles. I've tried both and the tune without the overrun added is better. Personal preference for sure but I think it's better for the m2c which has aggressive overrun oem.
      10-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #38
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:

Interesting, so what does this statement about fault codes apply to?

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #39
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you get the tablet, the diagnostic section has an option to read and clear codes. I have 2 present for my remus exhaust/flaps module so I've used it to read but I've never had to clear.
      10-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #40
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"A note on down pipes (removing the catalyst). We have run back to back dyno runs with the cat on and off and the power gain is much smaller than most people claim. We all need to breathe the air. Its difficult to get your car its required emissions test without catalyst and it's illegal."

If you get the tablet, the diagnostic section has an option to read and clear codes. I have 2 present for my remus exhaust/flaps module so I've used it to read but I've never had to clear.
Tablet only available for older M2C models. Anything 2020 does not have the tablet option