BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > To P3 or not to P3?

10-05-2020, 01:32 AM   #1
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

To P3 or not to P3?

I would really like to have an oil temp gauge in the OG. Intake temps, boost, timing, etc... would be nice as well.
The P3 gauge looks like it can do all that.

Do you have one? Are you happy with it? What colour did you get orange or white?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
mr_lab_rat Bought my P3 gauge off someone local who traded in their car. Totally worth it! Every drive I know when the oil is up to temp before getting on it. Previously used the M Drive Analyzer or the "Secret Menu" (link below). That being said, can't say I use it for much other than the oil temp but it does have all the other info you mentioned. I have the orange display and at night looks good with the pre-LCI orange gauges.

"Secret Digital Display Menu" - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1323502
      10-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
mr_lab_rat Bought my P3 gauge off someone local who traded in their car. Totally worth it! Every drive I know when the oil is up to temp before getting on it. Previously used the M Drive Analyzer or the "Secret Menu" (link below). That being said, can't say I use it for much other than the oil temp but it does have all the other info you mentioned. I have the orange display and at night looks good with the pre-LCI orange gauges.

"Secret Digital Display Menu" - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1323502
Thanks, I'm ok using it only for the oil temp and shift light. The orange would look good at night, the white will look better (and probably be brighter) during the day (I also have pre-LCI).

Phone app would require messing with the phone, the secret menu is cool but difficult to access.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I would highly suggest going with a Ak-motion display instead. Sure, the whole vent is used but it doesn't really interfere much. Instead you get a better display at a better place (imo) and so much more functionality. I installed it a couple of days back after hesitating a lot. I am now super happy with it, wondering why I even gave it a second thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
I would highly suggest going with a Ak-motion display instead. Sure, the whole vent is used but it doesn't really interfere much. Instead you get a better display at a better place (imo) and so much more functionality. I installed it a couple of days back after hesitating a lot. I am now super happy with it, wondering why I even gave it a second thought.
I 2nd the above. Had my AK since I took delivery last July. Sorry my pics are upside down.

I use mine to read and clear codes, Oil & Water Temps, Boost Gauge, Intake and Exhaust Gas Temps..
Attached Images

My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Thanks, I'm ok using it only for the oil temp and shift light. The orange would look good at night, the white will look better (and probably be brighter) during the day (I also have pre-LCI).
I have the P3 in orange and it looks great night or day and compliments the orange pre-LCI dash well. I wouldn't want white unless I had the LCI dash.

As much as I love it, I'll probably be selling it in the next few weeks because I need to free up the OBD2 port for other devices I will be running with my new turbo setup.
      10-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
I have the P3 in orange and it looks great night or day and compliments the orange pre-LCI dash well. I wouldn't want white unless I had the LCI dash.

As much as I love it, I'll probably be selling it in the next few weeks because I need to free up the OBD2 port for other devices I will be running with my new turbo setup.
Send me a PM when you decide to sell it.

One more question, does it remember the last state (what values you were looking at)?

I don't want to have to push millions of buttons every time I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Send me a PM when you decide to sell it.

One more question, does it remember the last state (what values you were looking at)?

I don't want to have to push millions of buttons every time I start the car.
It does. I like having mine but may sell it if I go the M Performance electronic wheel. Mine came with vent preinstalled.
Appreciate 0