BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > What are my chances of fixing an OBD pin female side?

09-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

What are my chances of fixing an OBD pin female side?

Hi guys,

My OBD keeps bending pin5 of anything I push into it. Cracked the USB microscope out and discovered the below. Does anyone know how to firstly gain access to the rear of the socket, and secondly my chances of swapping this out for an undamaged one? Any advice gratefully received!

Damaged:

Undamaged for reference:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

From a quick search on TIS I think the harness to the port is part of the main harness and runs to the FEM so replacing harness maybe out of the question.

From the photos I cannot tell if the pin or the socket is munched (or both) I would pop the socket and see if you can pop the pins and reshape them if need be. If the socket is toast then wrecker may be an option.
      09-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
meady100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
From a quick search on TIS I think the harness to the port is part of the main harness and runs to the FEM so replacing harness maybe out of the question.

From the photos I cannot tell if the pin or the socket is munched (or both) I would pop the socket and see if you can pop the pins and reshape them if need be. If the socket is toast then wrecker may be an option.
Cheers mate! Yeah I've managed to gain good access to the wires now. Just can't figure out how to pop them out, even after releasing the lock tab and using a terminal pin release.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

If you get it disassembled, I recommend finding an electronics forum and talking to the people there. I'm assuming the pins have standardized sizing and names, so knowing that will help you find what to buy as a replacement.
Appreciate 0