BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Where to mount my V1

09-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
fysisist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2015 Lexus RC F

Where to mount my V1

Just got a 2017 M2 yesterday, with only 5400 mi on it, was too good a deal to pass up. So my first consideration is where can I mount my radar detector, given that there is a sensor/camera right there on the bottom of the rear view? I'm pretty sure I don't want to obstruct that in any way. So how are you all doing this?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

the camera on the rear view mirror only sees directly out of the windshield. Buy a blendmount: https://blendmount.com/bv1-series-v1-v1-gen2/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
+1 for blendmount
      09-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Suction cup mount to the left of the RVM as high as it will fit. I have been mounting like this for 20 years in all my cars. Never undestood the blend mount having the detector "hanging" under the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

As this is my first BMW I had to look up to see what that thing hanging from the mirror was and it's just the security LED. No idea why they made it so huge. Anyway, I used a blendmount (not made for this car) and it worked fine but it wasn't very adjustable because the lack of space, that huge plastic cover, and the clown nose LED, so it would hang down too low for my liking. I then went with a ChargerCity suction cup instead so that I could tuck it up behind the mirror. This was made for my Cobra so there may be one that fits your radar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CKO4LC

I then used the MirrorMount to tie it into the wiring behind the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
fysisist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
As this is my first BMW I had to look up to see what that thing hanging from the mirror was and it's just the security LED. No idea why they made it so huge. Anyway, I used a blendmount (not made for this car) and it worked fine but it wasn't very adjustable because the lack of space, that huge plastic cover, and the clown nose LED, so it would hang down too low for my liking. I then went with a ChargerCity suction cup instead so that I could tuck it up behind the mirror. This was made for my Cobra so there may be one that fits your radar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CKO4LC

I then used the MirrorMount to tie it into the wiring behind the mirror.
Thanks bro that is really helpful. I wasn't really sure of the functionality of that clown nose thing, as you so aptly referred to it, so was cautious about blocking it off from whatever it needs to "see". But yeah I guess it's just the security system LED.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
fysisist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Suction cup mount to the left of the RVM as high as it will fit. I have been mounting like this for 20 years in all my cars. Never undestood the blend mount having the detector "hanging" under the mirror.
I think the main advantage of hanging from the rearview is that it gives the detector much better exposure to radar from the rear, vs. having it tucked up high on the windshield. That's how I've always mounted my V1 because it detects from the rear and sides as well as forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

I put mine under the mirror on V1 suction cup mounts and ran the hardwire throught the mirror mount over. You do have to get the thing low enough so it doesn't pick up a false laser signal from the mirror

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysisist View Post
I think the main advantage of hanging from the rearview is that it gives the detector much better exposure to radar from the rear, vs. having it tucked up high on the windshield. That's how I've always mounted my V1 because it detects from the rear and sides as well as forward.
You would think. But Mike Valentine has always said to mount it as high as possible. Maybe that has changed over the years though.

I get great coverage mounted high. Radar is not a small pinpoint wave.
Appreciate 1