10-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
iDrive track tracking

I saw something somewhere here on the forum where a driver was able to do track recordings, including lapping information.

Can anyone point me to that and also give me some info as to how to get that to happen on the iDrive in my 2020 M2 Comp?

I'd like to have a live track recorder and if it's already in the car (cannot find it), I'd like to use that.

Thanks in advance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

There is none in the car. There isn't even a stop watch.

Very poor considering humble brands like Renault and Dodge have had this for years.

Even the new performance page on the M135i Xdrive is better with stats like boost, water temp, and Gs.

What you saw is someone using miracast to mirror their phone screen that is runing something like Harry's Lap timmer or the BMW M drive analyser.

You will need Bimmercode or the like to enable video while driving, and need to have the option of wireless charging (this automatically adds a wifi Antenna to the car which you need for miracasting).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
You can use the M Lap Timer App, but it is pretty basic (no video).

All you need is a usb cable and its plug n play.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

You can download the free MLaptimer app to your iPhone. Once on track you will see the MLaptimer in vehicle settings ( it may appear elsewhere in the Comp)...it connects by Bluetooth. Just click on record at the start of your session and end when in pit. You will find an amazing amount of useful data, including laps times, top speed, brake steering and throttle tracing, etc. It can even activate your GoPro. You can also overlay laps to compare a pro driven lap to yours, plus exchange lap data with others on the app. I am not sure why others don't find this useful, but for me it is simple to use and very informative. I have stored my laps for the past 2.5 years and can see improvements with car mods, tires, and driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I had to disable carplay to get the bmw Laptimer app to work. iPhone had to be attached via USB plug in armrest.
I used on autocross, was nice to playback my laps and see my fastest speeds and g-forces and braking on each lap and compare. I was using 2nd gear mostly (dct) and laptimer helped me see the light of going into 3rd gear in a few spots.
I will always use it on autocross going forward as it is useful info. Also it overlays the tracked car with data over an airphoto (slightly off with gps drift) but still good. My iPhone could not be tucked away, it needed to be out in open for good god signals.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

You can also just download Harry’s Lap Timer or for no charge Track Addict on your phone and hard mount it to the windshield. Good data recording, lap playback, lap timing and even video overlay all on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
I had to disable carplay to get the bmw Laptimer app to work. iPhone had to be attached via USB plug in armrest.
I used on autocross, was nice to playback my laps and see my fastest speeds and g-forces and braking on each lap and compare. I was using 2nd gear mostly (dct) and laptimer helped me see the light of going into 3rd gear in a few spots.
I will always use it on autocross going forward as it is useful info. Also it overlays the tracked car with data over an airphoto (slightly off with gps drift) but still good. My iPhone could not be tucked away, it needed to be out in open for good god signals.
Strange, I have the same car and I can leave the phone in my pocket or console with no problem. I did notice that the app would pop on at two different places on my iDrive. If you go to ConnectedDrive it should appear under Smartphone apps...but be sure when you connect your phone that you check the box to also connect apps...by default the phone will connect without the apps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:42 AM   #8
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

One should note the above app is only for iphones.

God damn BMW is going to get me to buy an iphone again grr
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Similar to others experiences, when m lap timer is working it has some pretty basic data that is useable. But in a four session day I'll usually have two sessions that don't track (and of course these will be the two sessions I want to review the most). Connection is spotty and even if it does record, it won't necessarily track your lap times, so it's pretty flaky. I also had to disable carplay for it to work through Bluetooth to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Thanks guys.

Guess I'll look into figuring out how to mount my iPhone and fire up Harry's - have had it for years but never really liked the interface with it (i.e. never got it to work correctly). May have been my previous (two versions of) iPhones and lack of memory that they had that were part of the problem.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I hear you about Harry’s GUI. Check out Track Addict, I like their GUI much better.
Appreciate 0