BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > OG M2 Track Observations & Recommendations

06-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #45
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Definitely not the prettiest numbers there. Interesting to see how quickly everything jumps. The coolant & oil temps, ugh, definitely need some love. M2MGM through your entire session your temps are pretty constant in that range you stated? Have you considered 100% water injection or do you think the meth is beneficial ?
I’d say those numbers are representative...they were logged mid-session just before noon break on Sunday...89 F ambient.
I’m certain the WMI helps, but also the fact that I’m holding back some and not pushing the car 10/10ths is probably every bit as important. My better laps were in the 2:36.xx to 2:38.xx range during that session...and feel I was purposely leaving maybe a second or two on the table.
On the WM ratios....From all that I’ve read...and there is a lot of info available on the topic...the 50/50 mix ends up being the general consensus of “best of both worlds” of cooling and octane...so I’m inclined to stay pretty close to that mix.

Last edited by M2C AW; 06-25-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      06-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #46
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Here are a lot of details from my last hot summer track day: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=extreme

Changes since then include BM3, Wagner Comp IC, 300-cell DP, do88 aux radiator, and E30. These should help, but my gut tells me it still won't be enough to bring IATs down on long sessions and everything will still get hot.

Altho, I’m starting to think I should run the car like this on my next track day to see how she does, then decide on meth.
Sounds like we are on similar paths except for your turbo upgrade. Hopefully the E30 works for you. Famous last words and all that but I think I'm going to stay at this power level once I get the temps figured out so hopefully WMI is enough to get it done. I'm looking at the aquamist & AEM setups, not sure which to go with yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
I’d say those numbers are representative...they were logged mid-session just before noon break on Sunday...89 F ambient.
I’m certain the WMI helps, but also the fact that I’m holding back some and not pushing the car 10/10ths is probably every bit as important. My better laps were in the 2:36.xx to 2:38.xx range during that session...and feel I was purposely leaving maybe a second or two on the table.
On the WM ratios....From all that I’ve read...and there is a lot of info available on the topic...the 50/50 mix ends up being the general consensus of “best of both worlds” of cooling and octane...so I’m inclined to stay pretty close to that mix.
Yeah not looking to push 10/10ths either, but would be nice to be able to push a bit without the temps skyrocketing. Going to give WMI a whirl, hopefully does the trick. Thanks for posting your data and experience with it - really helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #47
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Sounds like we are on similar paths except for your turbo upgrade. Hopefully the E30 works for you. Famous last words and all that but I think I'm going to stay at this power level once I get the temps figured out so hopefully WMI is enough to get it done. I'm looking at the aquamist & AEM setups, not sure which to go with yet.

Yeah not looking to push 10/10ths either, but would be nice to be able to push a bit without the temps skyrocketing. Going to give WMI a whirl, hopefully does the trick. Thanks for posting your data and experience with it - really helps.
No problem. The Snow Performance kit may be worth a look too. When I was researching kits, a local shop suggested that I choose based on the controller that met my needs....the rest of the bits in most kits are all essentially the same. Check this one out..
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1628292

Last edited by M2C AW; 06-27-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Since the answer to overheating after a couple of laps on the track should never be to just go slower - me and the mad scientist are going to take it a little bit further than just adding WMI. Another IC swap is in the works - little more to it this time around though...
Appreciate 0