Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasBimmer View Post
Purchased an used BMW F30 OEM Carbon Fiber trunk spoiler in perfect condition. Part number 51-71-2-240-832 on back.

Will use 3M adhesive remover and Wonder Wheel to remove any old adhesive. Will prep Surfaces with 3M cleaner and 3M promoter.

Question - in a number of posts I see recommendations to use:
- 3M VHB Tape 4991 - 2.3mm thick foam core
- 3M VHB Tape 5952 - 1.1mm think foam core
- 3M tape but identifier not stated
- 3M tape from Autozone that is not VHB and not foam core
Some folks aftermarket spoilers some folks OEM spoilers. Which of the two tape thicknesses is recommended for an OEM spoiler? I am hoping / guessing the fitment is better with OEM so the thinner of the tape?

1mm about a penny in with.
I'm not sure which one I used, but it was definitely thicker than what came with the spoiler/lip. If I had to guess, I'd say you need the thicker one, but double check before purchasing because I'm not 100% sure. All I do know for sure is, you don't want the tape to be too thin since it will not actually stick in some of the areas. That's why I had the problem I did. Good luck 👍
Thank you.
3M VHB Tape 5952 (1.1mm foam core) worked perfectly on the OEM spoiler. Also purchased 3M adhesive remover to remove old tape .... was a bit of a chore but cleaned it up perfectly.
      12-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #24
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny_b View Post
Just as a follow-up.....

I did install the CF lip yesterday as hoped, and didn't use the Betalink adhesive - there were far more opinions and experiences in various threads saying that it's unnecessary, so I thought I'd give it a go to start with and see how firm it attaches with 3M tape alone. I also thought I'd use the tape that the CF part came with, rather than swap it over, and see how it went.

Once I'd peeled off the old adhesive (and have now rucked-up the skin on my thumb - bloody painful) and spent a good 30mins aligning the new part with masking tape alignment marks, I was happy to then go ahead, but what I did notice is that it's a very fine call between the part being bang-on position and being marginally too close to the rear windscreen, but yet still appearing to be sitting nicely.

When I looked really closely, in the wrong position, you could see where the shallow return lip on the spoiler would prevent the tape from touching down onto the boot lid. A fractional movement and it when had a fingernail thickness gap, meaning the tape was now going to make the first contact, not the CF edge.

Once I cleaned it two or three times and re-checked, time to peel a short section and go for it. I didn't use any 3M adhesive promoter wipes - again, I thought I'd see how it went and address if necessary.

Frankly, it's stuck like you-know-what to a blanket. It feels super strong, so I'm going to go with it and see.

But I think it's wise to remember that these lips are all hand-made (as are all CF parts), so there will be variance between the depth of return lips - tenths of a mm will make all the difference on this part.
hi there - I’m looking to do the spoiler installer without 3M promoter wipes, how has your spoiler held up without using the wipes?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #25
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
I just installed my M performance spoiler and the 3m tape that came pre-installed was not thick enough or wide enough to really adhere properly. So, after spending 3 hours removing the stock lip and adhesive, including a trip to Autozone for 3m adhesive remover, I had to remove all the adhesive from the trunk AGAIN!! Plus, I had to remove the adhesive from the spoiler as well, and re-install some thicker, wider 3m tape (which I luckily picked up from Autozone earlier, just in case).

Long story short (I know, too late), anyone planning on installing one of these may want to preemptively remove the installed 3m tape and put on some thicker, wider 3m tape. Everything looks great and fits perfectly with no gaps anywhere, but the original tape was not up to snuff.
Noted from your post that you did not use adhesive promoter - how has the spoiler held up since the install?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 12:48 AM   #26
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny_b View Post
Just as a follow-up.....

I did install the CF lip yesterday as hoped, and didn't use the Betalink adhesive - there were far more opinions and experiences in various threads saying that it's unnecessary, so I thought I'd give it a go to start with and see how firm it attaches with 3M tape alone. I also thought I'd use the tape that the CF part came with, rather than swap it over, and see how it went.

Once I'd peeled off the old adhesive (and have now rucked-up the skin on my thumb - bloody painful) and spent a good 30mins aligning the new part with masking tape alignment marks, I was happy to then go ahead, but what I did notice is that it's a very fine call between the part being bang-on position and being marginally too close to the rear windscreen, but yet still appearing to be sitting nicely.

When I looked really closely, in the wrong position, you could see where the shallow return lip on the spoiler would prevent the tape from touching down onto the boot lid. A fractional movement and it when had a fingernail thickness gap, meaning the tape was now going to make the first contact, not the CF edge.

Once I cleaned it two or three times and re-checked, time to peel a short section and go for it. I didn't use any 3M adhesive promoter wipes - again, I thought I'd see how it went and address if necessary.

Frankly, it's stuck like you-know-what to a blanket. It feels super strong, so I'm going to go with it and see.

But I think it's wise to remember that these lips are all hand-made (as are all CF parts), so there will be variance between the depth of return lips - tenths of a mm will make all the difference on this part.
hi there - I’m looking to do the spoiler installer without 3M promoter wipes, how has your spoiler held up without using the wipes?
You'll want to use them

That was his first mistake
      03-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #27
Maximus_M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
After having this issue a few times, I came across a thicker 3M tape on Amazon. I wanted a better fit on the final few inches of each side rather than just doubling up 2 pieces of standard thickness 3M tape.

This version is .09" thick vs the standard .045" thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jay, did you use the thicker tape along the entire spoiler? Which spoiler do you have? Thanks so much for your time.