BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

05-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #991
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
does anyone know an authorized BM3 shop in south florida (preferably in Broward county) that can do a bench DME unlock and flash my car with BM3?

the couple of guys I know down here, very reputable shops, want to remove the DME and send it away for unlock overnight, and then do the tune.....i can't do that!! I need my car as it is my only car and i have to haul my kids around.

looking for a shop that can do the unlock it without having to remove a ton of sh!t and just flash it.
not sure if Jimmy from Miami tuning group is still around but I remember he had a complete freiling racing setup for bench flashes back when the s55's first came out
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #992
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSE93 View Post
Can someone explain is this something that can be sloved in future updates. Or its going to be bench unlocking for march 2019 software moving forward.

I dont think I will be doing bench unlocking to my DME, so I might aswell forget about the whole thing instead of waiting without a clue!
If BMW can make it much harder for S55, they can at anytime do the same for N58 and S58. If this happens, Bootmod3 sales will decrease dramatically.

While I am sure PTF is working hard on an OBD flash solution for > Mar S55 ... I think it is imperative that a DIY Bench tune Kit be made available as an option. Otherwise, each time a new LOCK comes from BMW (N58 could be next), it will take time for PTF to reverse engineer ... that time in between equals drastically reduced sales ...

Just sayin ...
if you do the research you can very easily get the hardware and software needed to dump your dme and bench flash on your own.

it's a very risky job, I doubt many owners have the skill or event want to take on the risk to do so.

you can find my diy guide in the diy section if you're interested. like many folks commented,. they would never do that to their car on their own.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #993
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Can someone explain is this something that can be sloved in future updates. Or its going to be bench unlocking for march 2019 software moving forward.

I dont think I will be doing bench unlocking to my DME, so I might aswell forget about the whole thing instead of waiting without a clue!
If BMW can make it much harder for S55, they can at anytime do the same for N58 and S58. If this happens, Bootmod3 sales will decrease dramatically.

While I am sure PTF is working hard on an OBD flash solution for > Mar S55 ... I think it is imperative that a DIY Bench tune Kit be made available as an option. Otherwise, each time a new LOCK comes from BMW (N58 could be next), it will take time for PTF to reverse engineer ... that time in between equals drastically reduced sales ...

Just sayin ...
if you do the research you can very easily get the hardware and software needed to dump your dme and bench flash on your own.

it's a very risky job, I doubt many owners have the skill or event want to take on the risk to do so.

you can find my diy guide in the diy section if you're interested. like many folks commented,. they would never do that to their car on their own.
I saw that thread which is very helpful, unfortunately all the photos have expired.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #994
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just sayin ...

I saw that thread which is very helpful, unfortunately all the photos have expired.
I'll reupload.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #995
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Heads up:
Once you flash one of the new tunes with the extra cooling feature and select extra cooling, you won't be able to turn it off and have the same cooling behavior. It will either be all sport modes extra cooling or all sport modes normal. Extra cooling in just Sport+ won't work. If you flash the stock tune then all is as it was with just Sport+ having extra cooling. Flashing back to a tune with the cooling feature will make sport modes be all cooling or all normal again.
Does anyone know if this is still the case with the MaxCool feature?

I'm leaning towards getting BM3 but only want extra cooling in Sport+ (like stock)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #996
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can go back to the original cooling profile by flashing the stock tune and then redownlading the BM3 tune you want to flash. This resets all the drop down menus. Don't select any option on the Max Cooling drop down, flash and enjoy.
If understand this correctly if you configure Max Cooling Mode to OFF (OEM) it will no longer behave like stock with extra cooling in Sport+

However, if you want to retain the stock behavior you can do so by simply not selecting any option at all for the Max Cooling Mode configuration

I would greatly appreciate any insight or experiences people have had with this feature
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #997
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

What’s wrong with the Max Cooling option? PTF already said it does not add any stress to the system.
      05-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #998
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
What’s wrong with the Max Cooling option? PTF already said it does not add any stress to the system.
I think chmura did a good job explaining some of my concerns in the MaxCool mode thread

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

"Still not sold on this MaxCool feature. We need more information about it.

In Sport+ mode there is already a MaxCool feature from factory. So when BM3 MaxCool is on it runs the pumps even in Comfort?

Overcooling an engine is not a good idea during regular driving. I would not want maxcool on all the time on a street car. Maybe a dedicated track car yes.. Water and circulation pumps/fans might wear out sooner and fuel economy will be crap during regular non spirited driving.

When I start my M2c I typically leave it in Comfort mode because the engine heats up quicker. When I got my car I put it in Sport+ immediately and takes forever to warm up.

Again we need more information about BM3 vs BMW's Sport+ cooling strategy."

I would like to have the ability to control when maximum cooling is functional while operating the vehicle just like I can with the stock tune (only in Sport+)

Based solely on what I have read, it appears I might lose this if I go with a BM3 tune

Here is one example

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=13

"I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out but if we leave the maxcool setting to OEM, even in Sport plus, the cooling fans don’t turn on as they use too before. I did a track day yesterday and the car got pretty hot. I really hope you guys look into that as well. Thanks."

I'm hoping someone can shed some more light on this for me
Appreciate 3
G80BSM282.50
Kankles1484.50
      05-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #999
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
If understand this correctly if you configure Max Cooling Mode to OFF (OEM) it will no longer behave like stock with extra cooling in Sport+

However, if you want to retain the stock behavior you can do so by simply not selecting any option at all for the Max Cooling Mode configuration

I would greatly appreciate any insight or experiences people have had with this feature
Unless something has changed, the cooling toggle is on in all modes or off in all modes. Going back to the original mode can be problematic. Personally I prefer it in the original setup with Sport+ being cooler. Sport is my everyday mode.
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #1000
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unless something has changed, the cooling toggle is on in all modes or off in all modes. Going back to the original mode can be problematic. Personally I prefer it in the original setup with Sport+ being cooler. Sport is my everyday mode.
Thanks for chiming in

This is precisely what I was concerned about

Sport is also my usual mode and I typically save the extra cooling of Sport+ only for times when I'm concerned about higher temperatures such as at the track or if I'm stuck in traffic

Are you still able to retain the original setup by using the method you mentioned earlier (don't select any option in the Max Cooling configuration)?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #1001
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You don’t need any extra cooling mode. That’s a complete gimmick. Your fan and thermostat are optimized to open and turn on when appropriate. Turning your fan on sooner has zero benefit.
Appreciate 1
tokki203.50
      05-09-2020, 01:16 AM   #1002
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
You don’t need any extra cooling mode. That’s a complete gimmick. Your fan and thermostat are optimized to open and turn on when appropriate. Turning your fan on sooner has zero benefit.
The stock S55 tune's additional cooling in Sport+ is not just some gimmick

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=sport%2B

My car runs significantly cooler (at least 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit) in Sport+

I don't want to loose this feature and I want to maintain control over when to use it while operating my vehicle
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #1003
Penetrator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I’ve been running the BM3 CS TCU flash and it seems ok. Anybody on here run the GTS TCU software? I’ve heard that it’s not very compatible with the M2Comp??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #1004
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
The stock S55 tune's additional cooling in Sport+ is not just some gimmick

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=sport%2B

My car runs significantly cooler (at least 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit) in Sport+

I don't want to loose this feature and I want to maintain control over when to use it while operating my vehicle
I’m not doubting your car runs cooler. I’m saying it’s not necessary. Unless you’re overheating on the track in which you have other issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #1005
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in

This is precisely what I was concerned about

Sport is also my usual mode and I typically save the extra cooling of Sport+ only for times when I'm concerned about higher temperatures such as at the track or if I'm stuck in traffic

Are you still able to retain the original setup by using the method you mentioned earlier (don't select any option in the Max Cooling configuration)?
When I tried to select the original cooling after activating the enhanced cooling it wouldn't go back.
I erased the tune and started over not selecting anything on the cooling toggle. Apparently there is another way to it but I was tired of messing with it.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #1006
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Max cooling mode works like a charm for me. What I do is I got the same OTS map just twice so I have 2 copies of it. Then I customized one of them for the track with max cool mode setup, burble off and boost by gear set for max traction there. The other I customized for the street/daily which I drive on 99% of the time with Max Cool off as its only for the track and left burble and boost by gear untouched from what OTS does. I just flash to my Track map on track days.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #1007
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
I was a happy camper until my local dealership updated the software and locked the DME
Whoa, would love to hear more details about how they decided to do that. Was it routine service? Or did you take it in with an issue? (i.e. My left rear blinker randomly fails to work and AC condenser ices when not using auto).
Appreciate 1
G80BSM282.50
      05-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #1008
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
I always write on the service sheet 'no shake downs, no test drives, no software updates'. and then verbally confirm it with the person i hand my keys to.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #1009
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
I always write on the service sheet 'no shake downs, no test drives, no software updates'. and then verbally confirm it with the person i hand my keys to.
and no washing the car
msdss497.50
      05-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #1010
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Just did the Stage 1 91 octane tune yesterday.

What an awesome product and experience.

This car is now a tire shredding monster in 2nd gear.

So much fun!!!

Thank you Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #1011
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
I'm thinking about racechip or JB4 but I'm not too sure about running a piggyback.
Don't go racechip. Friend of mine has had a really bad experience on his S55 M3 and 1M. Aftersales sucks big time. The problems surface on the autobahn, power delivery not consistent, like torque coming in waves. If you google carefully you will find similar stories. Their Marketing is very good though.
Appreciate 1
G80BSM282.50
      05-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #1012
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
and no washing the car
I have a rubber stamp for that. lol
Appreciate 1
G80BSM282.50