BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why no Adaptive M suspension in M2C?

05-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #67
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurge View Post
Agree. I hate adaptive suspension. One more thing to break. And they never feel “right”: either not enough of a difference or too much of one, such that comfort is too soft and sport is too hard.
I have the adaptive on my 240i and I feel the opposite. I think the comfort isn't soft enough and the sport+ isn't stiff enough. I wish it was a little more extreme at both ends and the car defaulted to the middle (sport) on startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I gotten my answer already by reading between the lines of a few interviews; they didn't want to spend extra R&D producing an adaptive suspension from scratch for M2C's smaller wheelbase. So they essentially just threw on the same dampers as from the M2, augmented with ball joints instead of bushings..

If they could of used the M4's adaptive dampers PnP, they certainly would of.. It basically boiled down to basic economics. I get it and totally understand.. Doesn't mean I have to like it..
What about tweaking the adaptive suspension on the 240i? Same wheelbase no?

And bmw also clarified why there isn't an adaptive suspension option for the m2c. They said they wanted it to be different than the m3/m4 which translates to: They don't want to take too much away from the m3/m4.

Quote:
MP coilovers are adaptive but manually; you have to get under the car and adjust the valve on each damper, as oppose to pressing a button from the driver's seat.
I don't think a suspension is called adaptive because it can be adjusted (manually or with a push of a button). That's just called an adjustable suspension. I think they use that term adaptive because the suspension is smart enough to adjust itself on the fly through varying road conditions (i.e. allowing short and sharp undulation while preventing deep and slow ones to minimize body roll).
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #68
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
I have the adaptive on my 240i and I feel the opposite. I think the comfort isn't soft enough and the sport+ isn't stiff enough. I wish it was a little more extreme at both ends and the car defaulted to the middle (sport) on startup.

I concur with your findings. The thing about adaptive suspension is that the software has to be really smart. My M235i has the original M adaptive suspension. Sometimes it is just right other times it gets pretty stiff. I would even say that it is stiffer or less compliant than an M2 at times. Overall I like it, the suspension stiffens up the faster you drive.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #69
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

We just did Euro delivery of our M2, and after 7 days over all kinds of roads including plenty of rougher back roads off the beaten path our conclusion was that the M2 needs adaptive suspension like Kansas needs more tornadoes.

We fell into the category of those who bought without a test drive, and I'd read the brutal C&D review where they drove their M2 around Detroit and thought it was miserable, and the ride quality was one of our concerns going in. We wanted a sports car, but not one that was punishing for daily use. Now that we've driven one, we think BMW performed a miracle with the M2's suspension. It's firm without being harsh, and it has this amazing quality where you feel what's happening on the road but the suspension calmly soaks it all up. On any asphalt that's halfway decent it's like driving a luxury sports coupe, but one that turns into an angry animal at the push of the drive mode button. They really nailed it with the M2 - I don't think the balance between ride quality and roller-coaster handling could be any more perfect on this car.

Of course, I totally appreciate that some of you live in the Bronx or Somalia, and nothing outside of a '70 Fleetwood Brougham is going to be very comfortable. So YMMV.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
MSurge83.50
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      05-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #70
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I'm going to use the same strategy I did with every low-profile vehicle I had; buy an used tire as a spare and keep it my garage.

When I hear that frequent "bamb, bamb" over an inconspicuous carter and the low tire flashes on the dashboard's navigation; I'll just take a Uber home and grab the spare.. It has worked for the last 10 years.. And it's less frustrating than waiting a week for a new tire to arrive from backorder..

#CostOfDoingBusiness #MLife
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #71
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTRS, M2CS

I like having options for suspension but we cant have everything at this price. I softened up my M2 by running 34psi all around instead of recommended pressures. Took all the harshness out of the bumps with only a slight loss of turn in feel.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #72
MSurge
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp/2015 AMG C63 507

Competition suspension has been reworked, so,we’ll see what that means regarding comfort vs firm.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #73
jason86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI (AW)

I had the adaptive M suspension on my previous Z4 35is, even in sport+ mode still have too much body roll and too stiff for my taste in daily drive. Didn't mention I had oil leak twice at the front struts but luckily replaced by the dealer under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #74
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
I had the adaptive M suspension on my previous Z4 35is, even in sport+ mode still have too much body roll and too stiff for my taste in daily drive. Didn't mention I had oil leak twice at the front struts but luckily replaced by the dealer under warranty.
Wow, I had an oil leak on the front strut of my M235i too. The car had only 2,500 miles on it. They replaced the strut under warranty. It kind of makes a guy wonder what is going on with those struts.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #75
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Glad it is not included, adds weight/price.
The M2(L) passive suspension is perfection IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #76
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Whoa, this is beautiful.. EDC KW coilovers suspension for the F87 M2, I am assuming it will also fit the M2C...

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/ada...now-available/
Appreciate 1
Junni88.00
      06-03-2018, 02:25 AM   #77
Junni
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa, this is beautiful.. EDC KW coilovers suspension for the F87 M2, I am assuming it will also fit the M2C...

Yes indeed! It was already discussed in the following topic: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1478200. Pricing around 3600 euro, so it isn't cheap.

Would love to see it integrated in the 'empty' button next to the shifter.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #78
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junni View Post
Quote:

Yes indeed! It was already discussed in the following topic: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1478200. Pricing around 3600 euro, so it isn't cheap.

Would love to see it integrated in the 'empty' button next to the shifter.
OMG, 3,600 Euros.. I knew there was a catch.

But nice that it's a viable option to smooth out the the ride, since it's on mandatory 19inch wheels...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #79
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
OMG, 3,600 Euros.. I knew there was a catch.

But nice that it's a viable option to smooth out the the ride, since it's on mandatory 19inch wheels...
I know at one point Bilstein made B16 (RIDECONTROL) coilovers with electronic adjustment. What about those?

I too, am really disappointed that this car doesn't come with electronically adjusted dampers. I have driven a Porsche Turbo, a V10 R8 and a VW R – all on track days - and can guarantee it makes a huge difference (especially for the first two) going to race mode on the suspension, vs. comfort. Race mode is in fact so stiff, I'd never drive around the city on it. It's pretty much for the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #80
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I agree that the M2 absolutely does NOT need adaptive suspension.
I hope the M2C's "adjustments" are only to compensate for the heavier front end.

When I test drove an M2 a few months ago, ride quality was one of my biggest questions because my M2 (now planning for M2C instead) will be a daily driver and we have really shitty roads in the greater Boston area.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised that the ride over our crappy roads was firm, but not punishing, and very DD'able.

I'm glad the M2 and C don't have it, because it would just be more weight and cost that for most of us is unnecessary.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #81
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I hope the M2C's "adjustments" are only to compensate for the heavier front end.

When I test drove an M2 a few months ago, ride quality was one of my biggest questions because my M2 (now planning for M2C instead) will be a daily driver and we have really shitty roads in the greater Boston area.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised that the ride over our crappy roads was firm, but not punishing, and very DD'able.

I'm glad the M2 and C don't have it, because it would just be more weight and cost that for most of us is unnecessary.
I could handle a rough car, I am not really concern about comfort but as you, I was just worried about the crappy roads costing me a new tire every month.. But I do understand that the M2 and M2C does house wheels with thicker sidewalls, which should be sufficient to absorb rough-ish tarmac, without being overly punishing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #82
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

I could handle a rough car, I am not really concern about comfort but as you, I was just worried about the crappy roads costing me a new tire every month.. But I do understand that the M2 and M2C does house wheels with thicker sidewalls, which should be sufficient to absorb rough-ish tarmac, without being overly punishing.
I'm not so much concerned with comfort per se, but I just don't want a punishing ride.
A friend has a GT-R, and it is absolutely NOT a street car. It is a back-breaker. Totally unsuitable for daily driving.
Really, even most models of Subaru STI are unsuitable for DD duty around here because the roads are crap and potholes abound.
I always buy the road hazard protection on my tires because every year I have to replace at least 2 because of sidewalk bubbles caused by potholes (I DD a modified 135i right now).
So I just don't want my fillings to bounce out every time I hit a pothole or asphalt patch (which is about every 10 feet).
The M2 was surprisingly well-mannered on these roads. A good combination of springs an dampening that flex when you need it and stay rigid enough for excellent handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #83
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Check out this KW M2/M2C adaptive suspension set up testing

Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      10-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #84
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurge View Post
Competition suspension has been reworked, so,we’ll see what that means regarding comfort vs firm.
Indeed. Curious if there was discussion about this, but I feel like they increased the spring rates. If you recall some of the reviews about the Dinan suspension actually being more comfortable, I feel that the competition suspension is actually more comfortable. Really. I think the spring rates are a better match for the dampers. Don't have evidence for this, but that's my impression. Others that have reviewed the car don't seem to recall the ride in the OG car very well, the ride is quite noticeably different.
Appreciate 1
Davil6523.00
      10-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #85
E21-myfirstlove
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Adaptive steering a waste

Wanna talk useless? The steering options. Anyone like anything other than comfort? The others are just too heavy and numb. Same on my prev M5. Sport and sport+ on the track were garbage. Guess i would get more use out of adaptive suspension than the steering...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #86
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E21-myfirstlove View Post
Wanna talk useless? The steering options. Anyone like anything other than comfort? The others are just too heavy and numb. Same on my prev M5. Sport and sport+ on the track were garbage. Guess i would get more use out of adaptive suspension than the steering...
Agreed. Why do I need an artificially heavy steering? Just stupid.
Adaptive suspension would be better, but as I said, the comp is much better than the original car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #87
TProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 competition

Quote:

I had heard about this earlier in one of the other posts on here. Now this is something I'd like. Not interested in having to take off wheels to adjust the ride quality or height.
Poochie9104.50
      10-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #88
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TProfit View Post
Quote:
I had heard about this earlier in one of the other posts on here. Now this is something I'd like. Not interested in having to take off wheels to adjust the ride quality or height.
Yes, it's good stuff.. You can adjust the dampening, on the fly, with a phone APP..

I always loved the concept of adaptive suspension ever since the late 90s when this aftermarket company called [COLOR="DarkRed"]Tein[/COLOR] offered electronic coil-overs for my Acura RSX.. I guess KW is the BMW equivalent..

They're supposedly $4k for the complete setup but to me it's worth considering.
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50