BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why no Adaptive M suspension in M2C?

05-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #45
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G82/MG F82/AW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Yea that's pretty much why I was asking. It seems to be just another glorified of saving the throttle, steering and exhaust responses, with no suspension manipulation..

I am almost 100% sure the next generation of M2s will have this feature, especially if 19 inch wheels are the only option..

Traction control - MDM and OFF are the first priority on the M1 & M2 shortcuts along with throttle/boost. Steering is just a preference for comfort and stock exhaust is catted and worthless to care about along with the adaptive suspension.
That brings up the next missing item from that list to config in M1/M2 is the HUD. Why no HUD on the m2c BMW? That toy can't cost that much or option it for those who will pay.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #46
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I gotten my answer already by reading between the lines of a few interviews; they didn't want to spend extra R&D producing an adaptive suspension from scratch for M2C's smaller wheelbase. So they essentially just threw on the same dampers as from the M2, augmented with ball joints instead of bushings..

If they could of used the M4's adaptive dampers PnP, they certainly would of.. It basically boiled down to basic economics. I get it and totally understand.. Doesn't mean I have to like it..
Appreciate 2
TProfit81.50
      05-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #47
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I gotten my answer already by reading between the lines of a few interviews; they didn't want to spend extra R&D producing an adaptive suspension from scratch for M2C's smaller wheelbase. So they essentially just threw on the same dampers as from the M2, augmented with ball joints instead of bushings..

If they could of used the M4's adaptive dampers PnP, they certainly would of.. It basically boiled down to basic economics. I get it and totally understand.. Doesn't mean I have to like it..
They already re-tuned the passive spring and damper combination. I would guess the range of valving adjustability is close enough to reuse the same damper on the M2 as the M3 with only spring and software changes. Overall you're right that it boils down to cost, but I think more just of parts rather than R&D.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82K2S0 View Post
Quote:
Yea that's pretty much why I was asking. It seems to be just another glorified of saving the throttle, steering and exhaust responses, with no suspension manipulation..

I am almost 100% sure the next generation of M2s will have this feature, especially if 19 inch wheels are the only option..

Traction control - MDM and OFF are the first priority on the M1 & M2 shortcuts along with throttle/boost. Steering is just a preference for comfort and stock exhaust is catted and worthless to care about along with the adaptive suspension.
That brings up the next missing item from that list to config in M1/M2 is the HUD. Why no HUD on the m2c BMW? That toy can't cost that much or option it for those who will pay.
# because M3/M4 Mo money ..$$$
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #49
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

No excuses. Adjustible suspension works great. Its great on my Civic type r and gt3 touring. The m2 cost more than the Civic and the Civic rides better and feels more composed in the corner than my old 2017 m2. I'm still debating if the M2c is worth getting...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #50
Poochie
United_States
Rep

It's funny how when removing a feature; it's some how beneficial to us, like leaving the M mirror off the M2, then claim it's in the name of performance..

And also when they ADD the same feature, it's also positively influence the dynamics

Like in 2013, when the 235 was the latest mini M series craze; they claim adaptive suspension was beneficial, now they claiming it's not needed because their static dampers are the Jack of All Trades..

BMW M235i is Faster On Track Than 1M Coupe (Our 2 Series Interview From Detroit) https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=935130h
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #51
Say Chi Sin Lo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3, Honda S2000

Excuse my noobness, but aren't adaptive suspension a mute point if the driver upgrade the suspension after purchase? M Performance/KW, or other options?

My understanding is that the "adaptive-ness" was built into the factory damper, so if you replace it... Then that feature is gone anyways, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #52
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
Excuse my noobness, but aren't adaptive suspension a mute point if the driver upgrade the suspension after purchase? M Performance/KW, or other options?

My understanding is that the "adaptive-ness" was built into the factory damper, so if you replace it... Then that feature is gone anyways, right?
MP coilovers are adaptive but manually; you have to get under the car and adjust the valve on each damper, as oppose to pressing a button from the driver's seat.

And yes, if you're going to swap the dampers, no point in having an adaptive set up..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #53
Say Chi Sin Lo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's adaptive but manually; you have to get under the car and adjust the valve on each damper, as oppose to pressing a button from the driver's seat.

And yes, if you're going to swap the dampers, no point in having an adaptive set up..
Wait, you're telling BMW's "adaptive suspension" from factory requires you get underneath the car, like a typical aftermarket coilover kit?

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the factory adaptive suspension that is made available on M3/M4 and etc., the one where you adjust from within the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #54
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
Quote:
It's adaptive but manually; you have to get under the car and adjust the valve on each damper, as oppose to pressing a button from the driver's seat.

Wait, you're telling BMW's "adaptive suspension" from factory requires you get underneath the car, like a typical aftermarket coilover kit?

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the factory adaptive suspension that is made available on M3/M4 and etc., the one where you adjust from within the cabin.
No, you have it in reverse, optional M performance coilovers can be adjusted manually.

Adaptive dampers are automatic or can be controlled from the cabin. They are not an option on the M2C, hence the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #55
Say Chi Sin Lo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, you have it in reverse, optional M performance coilovers can be adjusted manually.

Adaptive dampers are automatic or can be controlled from the cabin. They are not an option on the M2C, hence the discussion.
Yes, exactly. That's why I brought up the aftermarket suspension thing. I'd imagine most people would be upgrading their suspension after the purchase anyways. So why are people crying about the lack of "adaptive dampers" from factory?

We basically went in a circle going around one another.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #56
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

What you are describing is more like adjustable coilover system (1-way, 2-way, or 3-way). The whole point of adaptive suspension is to adapt to different road conditions on the fly without requiring you to get under the car and make adjustments to the suspension. M3/M4/M5... adaptive suspension do not require you to make any changes manually aside from pushing a button to choose between 3 different stiffness level.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #57
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
What you are describing is more like adjustable coilover system (1-way, 2-way, or 3-way). The whole point of adaptive suspension is to adapt to different road conditions on the fly without requiring you to get under the car and make adjustments to the suspension. M3/M4/M5... adaptive suspension do not require you to make any changes manually aside from pushing a button to choose between 3 different stiffness level.
He was responding to the previous guy about an aftermarket system and was describing an aftermarket system.

I don't know about BMW but cars I have driven with mag-ride, it's awesome.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
Spa2k1194.00
      05-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #58
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
He was responding to the previous guy about an aftermarket system and was describing an aftermarket system.

I don't know about BMW but cars I have driven with mag-ride, it's awesome.
I think he clarified it further while I was typing. Sorry Poochie my bad

Mag-ride is much better than BMW's EDC in terms of pretty much everything (ride quality, handling, body roll etc). I tried it once too and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #59
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I really want to try a vehicle with this "Magnetic Ride" everyone seems to be raving about... Enterprise rental?

BTW, some of the public roads here in NY resemble the Gaza Strip; I sometimes have to change a brand new, seven day old tire, due to bubbles.. The reason for this discussion is not about pampering my a$$ but more of protecting my wallet, more or less.. #TireTitty
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #60
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I really want to try a vehicle with this "Magnetic Ride" everyone seems to be raving about... Enterprise rental?

BTW, some of the public roads here in NY resemble the Gaza Strip; I sometimes have to change 7 day old, brand new tire, due to bubbles.. So this debate is not about pampering my a$$ but more of protecting my wallet, more of less..
Rental companies usually have base trim level of each model they offer. Even though you can rent a Camaro SS it probably won't have mag-ride suspension. My friend let me drive his SS 1LE once and it was really nice ride through some bumpy and curvy roads. Your best bet might be to test drive one at a Chevy dealer but depending on their test drive route you may not really get the feel of it.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #61
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

BTW, some of the public roads here in NY resemble the Gaza Strip; I sometimes have to change a brand new, seven day old tire, due to bubbles.. The reason for this discussion is not about pampering my a$$ but more of protecting my wallet, more or less.. #TireTitty

Try renting one on Touro.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #62
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Magnetic ride is optional on 2018 Mustangs (not talking about the GT 350). You may find one to test drive at a Ford dealer.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #63
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Not every car with magnetorheological dampers are going to perform alike. I am sure there are varying levels of parts, nevermind the controller and software. I would be shocked, no pun intended, if the Mustang GT had the same quality of damper as the Ferrari 488.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #64
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Of course the manufacturing and tuning will be different, and the Ferrari’s parts will be made out of unobtanium and blessed by virgins, but the technologies are similar. The Ford (or GM) systems are really good - and designed closer to a price point that BMW would choose (hopefully!), so it’s worth checking them out if you’re interested in mag shocks. After having lived with them, I would buy them any time they’re available.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #65
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Not every car with magnetorheological dampers are going to perform alike. I am sure there are varying levels of parts, nevermind the controller and software. I would be shocked, no pun intended, if the Mustang GT had the same quality of damper as the Ferrari 488.
The Cadillac ATS-V is probably the best example in a sub $100k car as it rides much better than an M3/4 on the street while outperforming it on the track.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #66
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
No excuses. Adjustible suspension works great. Its great on my Civic type r and gt3 touring. The m2 cost more than the Civic and the Civic rides better and feels more composed in the corner than my old 2017 m2. I'm still debating if the M2c is worth getting...
Yeah but the Type R has the mediocre build quality of the regular Civic Hatch, US gets a stripper model compared to EU, crappy interior (except from the seats), and the worst infotainment system available in any car so it's not you aren't getting what you pay for with that car. They are pretty fragile cars as I have a deposit (I was a Honda fanboy in the 90's) at a Honda dealership but know a local guy that has one and between trim warping, panel gaps, paint chips it doesn't feel like a very robust car. I've been out of Honda's for a long time and I just don't remember them feeling cheap like a Subaru or Mitsubishi.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 05-23-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00