BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Forthcoming BMW M2 Competition gets five colors: which color would you choose ?

View Poll Results: Which of the five M2 CS colors would you choose ?
Alpine White 28 7.80%
Black Sapphire Metallic 26 7.24%
Long Beach Blue Metallic 52 14.48%
Sunset Orange 95 26.46%
Hockenheim Silver 158 44.01%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

08-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #67
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Personally, I think I might have to go LBB again. Just love this color - and yes, I reserve the right to change my mind after seeing the new silver.
Ditto here.

I like orange, but the Sunset Orange looks too dark to me, would have to see it in person.

I still want Austin Yellow damn it ! Guess I will have to buy an M4 to satisfy my craving. Anyone have a spare $75K they want to donate to a worthy cause?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #68
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I Agree. I would love a carbon black, tanzanite , azurite black or something ..
Agree - any of those 3 colors would be
      08-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #69
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Prob LBB again if I did it, sunset orange looks too dark, would have picked VO if it was an option. The rest of the colors suck. Silver is silver...meh. Would have liked to see San Marino blue offered.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #70
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

This limited colour thing just doesn't make sense. If a guy comes out in his mobile van to fix a mark on your car he keys in the colour code and the colour gets mixed. So why can't a multi million euro paint plant in a BMW factory not paint a car any colour the customer wants?

Even my local shop can mix paint for my walls at home

Just sounds like a smoke screen within BMW with a no can do attitude
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #71
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

The paint shop at the plant is pretty small and is limited in what it can do; adding more color variations would just slow things down. In fact, Leipzig could produce more cars if not for this restriction. A plant expansion that includes the paint shop will start next year and be completed in 2020. There's no word on whether this will allow more color variations or just the production of more vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #72
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

People don't often understand manufacturing limitations and what it takes to introduce change. As simple as it may seem to introduce a new color, capacity must be maintained without upsetting the current balance. I know that the Spartanburg plant is in the midst of a major expansion for the X7 and trying to keep the ball rolling on the current models is probably a challenge in itself.

Out of curiosity, do you think that most M2 owners would care if their car was manufactured in the Spartanburg plant versus the Leipzig plant? Meaning the mentality that a BMW should be produced in Germany for example. Has anyone here that owns a car from both plants noticed any major or minor quality differences between the two?
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #73
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Since it seems like most M2 owners that wanted an exotic color went for the LBB, its good to have another "exotic" color in the orange. Too many LBBs out there already haha

*i'd stick to LBB though
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #74
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
How about a Matte Silver and i will add a matte carbon fiber roof and side mirror caps.
      08-22-2017, 02:50 AM   #75
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Loving the new M5 colours especially Marina Bay Blue (frozen in this image) and Pure Metal Silver.

Different plant, different paint capabilities. I'm well aware of.
Attached Images

Last edited by as7920; 08-22-2017 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
This limited colour thing just doesn't make sense. If a guy comes out in his mobile van to fix a mark on your car he keys in the colour code and the colour gets mixed. So why can't a multi million euro paint plant in a BMW factory not paint a car any colour the customer wants?

Because your local paint chip guy isn't turning out 730 plus cars a day, and needing to run three shifts at the paint booth to do so.

Yes. I've taken a tour at Leipzig ... Having seen the paint booths and being told that the paint Booth IS the limiting factor for the plant ... so much so that the line has two shifts and the paint booth has three...

The paint booth at leipzig is very high tech and features a nearly 100 percent waste recovery system not unlike a car wash. Imagine changing out the fluid in an entire water system in a car wash to change colors and you begin to get the idea.

Smoke screen. Lol. You couldn't be further from the truth. While it may be ANNOYING that they only use a total of about 24 colors in that plant... it's not like they are fibbing. Sheesh.

Whether they are limiting the colors by choice or by necessity ,They are cranking out VOLUME. And a 456 color palette wheel for customers doesn't exactly help achieve that goal.
Appreciate 6
JTO245246.50
Spa2k1193.00
JustChris17426.00
Patrik158.00
Moris3.00
1M Tex240.00
      08-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #77
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:

Your paint shop does not offer x-years of warranty on the paint job or has thousands of cars painted per month, and money makers rule the BMW management levels, not enthusiasts.

MR
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #78
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:

Because your local paint chip guy isn't turning out 730 plus cars a day, and needing to run three shifts at the paint booth to do so.

Yes. I've taken a tour at Leipzig ... Having seen the paint booths and being told that the paint Booth IS the limiting factor for the plant ... so much so that the line has two shifts and the paint booth has three...

The paint booth at leipzig is very high tech and features a nearly 100 percent waste recovery system not unlike a car wash. Imagine changing out the fluid in an entire water system in a car wash to change colors and you begin to get the idea.

Smoke screen. Lol. You couldn't be further from the truth. While it may be ANNOYING that they only use a total of about 24 colors in that plant... it's not like they are fibbing. Sheesh.

Whether they are limiting the colors by choice or by necessity ,They are cranking out VOLUME. And a 456 color palette wheel for customers doesn't exactly help achieve that goal.
Funny how someone like Porsche could paint my GT4 in just about any of their paint to sample colours. Yet BMW find it too difficult. Porsche just do the individual paint in batches you wait longer for the car but you get the colour you want. So if BMW thought about it they could offer the CS with say 2 individual colours and just build them in a batch. Not difficult
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #79
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...TwSUHJY_yQpl1w

Still waiting to see what Hockenheim will look like...
Attached Images

08-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #80
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Funny how someone like Porsche could paint my GT4 in just about any of their paint to sample colours. Yet BMW find it too difficult. Porsche just do the individual paint in batches you wait longer for the car but you get the colour you want. So if BMW thought about it they could offer the CS with say 2 individual colours and just build them in a batch. Not difficult
Yes, difficult. I don't work at BMW but this is my take.

The plant (Leipzig) of which these are built aren't setup for individual options. This plant is setup for volume which is nearly always at capacity. Porsche isn't a volume company, BMW is. Because the plant is at max capacity, there is no incentive to add these options because it's not effecting sales. It makes no sense to have an order book that's 105% of your yearly manufacturing capability.

What you need to setup is a separate manufacturing cell (specific to paint and changeover) to do one off orders. You don't want this done on the main manufacturing lines because you don't want to reduce efficiency. It's a cost that probably someone looked at and said it's not worth doing as this plant cranks out 2 series, X1s, i3s, etc. Not exactly the cars where people care all that much about individual options. So take the equipment costs and setups, spread that out with the relatively low amount of cars that would partake in this program. You are left with a paint cost that would be considerably higher than that of other plants, where the take rate would be higher. BMW isn't going to take a margin hit and my guess is you won't pay $20k for a different color. Hence it's not offered.

Source: career in manufacturing and cost management.
Appreciate 4
geogerf115.50
JTO245246.50
bollinm25.00
      08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
YEP... IF they wanted to..... but they DON'T... so... what color Porsche did you buy?

Wait what ... 2 individual colors? I think they did that already.. ? . Sunset Orange and Hockenheim Silver.. ok..so they may not be colors for Individual only.. but.. your suggestion is exactly what BMW did.. Added 2 colors and will only apply them to a few vehicles.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-22-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #82
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Yes, difficult. I don't work at BMW but this is my take.

The plant (Leipzig) of which these are built aren't setup for individual options. This plant is setup for volume which is nearly always at capacity. Porsche isn't a volume company, BMW is. Because the plant is at max capacity, there is no incentive to add these options because it's not effecting sales. It makes no sense to have an order book that's 105% of your yearly manufacturing capability.

What you need to setup is a separate manufacturing cell (specific to paint and changeover) to do one off orders. You don't want this done on the main manufacturing lines because you don't want to reduce efficiency. It's a cost that probably someone looked at and said it's not worth doing as this plant cranks out 2 series, X1s, i3s, etc. Not exactly the cars where people care all that much about individual options. So take the equipment costs and setups, spread that out with the relatively low amount of cars that would partake in this program. You are left with a paint cost that would be considerably higher than that of other plants, where the take rate would be higher. BMW isn't going to take a margin hit and my guess is you won't pay $20k for a different color. Hence it's not offered.

Source: career in manufacturing and cost management.
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1193.00
pz6193275.50
      08-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #83
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
We don't know yet if 6MT is gonna get out of the woods too. Do not take that for granted - let's keep hoping that it makes it to the final cut.
Hope is what keeps us alive and helps me get out of bed everyday

On the other hand, the Z4 concept looks amazing.. I am tempted

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?t=1413211#

If there is an Z4M with a 6MT...good god
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #84
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post

According to the DriveTribe article: "... aluminium interior trim and optional Interlagos Blue paint."
Interlagos Blue? Where did they get that from?

Last edited by swoosh_SE; 08-23-2017 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #85
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post

Still waiting to see what Hockenheim will look like...
Argh. I was tricked into visiting a Shmee150 site. Which is a copy and paste of the info in this thread. Grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh_SE View Post
Interlagos Blue? Where did they get that from?
It was one of the E46 M3 CS launch colours.

Here's a breakdown of the colours for the UK market.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpo...15&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #86
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Argh. I was tricked into visiting a Shmee150 site. Which is a copy and paste of the info in this thread. Grrr.
Hahah yes, I felt like writing that story. Nobody had written anything about the info here.

MR
Appreciate 1
as7920596.00
      08-23-2017, 11:58 PM   #87
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I thought I had read that Interlagos was not even approved for Individual anymore for whatever reason. I like Interlagos but can't believe BMW would bring it back. It's an "old" technology paint. It's similar enough to San Marino or maybe Marina Bay blue but has fewer metallic particles and less pop.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #88
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I thought I had read that Interlagos was not even approved for Individual anymore for whatever reason. I like Interlagos but can't believe BMW would bring it back. It's an "old" technology paint. It's similar enough to San Marino or maybe Marina Bay blue but has fewer metallic particles and less pop.
I don't believe the article IS saying it's bringing it back. As far as I read, it said it was for the E46.

The article goes on to list the same colours in this thread for the M2 CS.
Appreciate 0