BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Cayenne GTS thoughts?

04-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Cayenne GTS thoughts?

I think the Cayenne is the ultimate vehicle, for just one, especially living in NE if you snowboard, have a boat, etc. etc.

Thinking about a used 2014 GTS. Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If you have to tow, you do need a SUV type of thing. Personally I would get an svt raptor. Or if it's got to be German luxury I'd try to get a Cayenne Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

The gts is the sweet spot.

I have a 16 S with all the gts bits and am extremely happy.

I do wish I had the v8 though.
      04-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If you have to tow, you do need a SUV type of thing. Personally I would get an svt raptor. Or if it's got to be German luxury I'd try to get a Cayenne Turbo
The new Raptor is pretty legit with the new ecoboost motor. The only thing you'll miss is the V8 exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

The Macan is a much better driver's car but if you need the space or towing the Cayenne is not a bad option.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

The GTS is awesome, but if you want one spec'd with the alcantara interior it will be hard to find. Their resale is also much stronger than a Turbo. You can get a $130k MSRP turbo at the same price point as a $90-110k GTS. The turbo also comes standard with full leather interior, while the GTS does not and many of them do not have the full leather.

I would suggest heavily researching the options to decide which ones you want before starting your search. If you don't, you will probably regret your purchase later when you realize that some of the options you probably wanted aren't on the car. Most GTS models are not loaded up, while the Turbo models usually are.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
nycmitch25
United_States
Rep
Drives: Basic X1 (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
I think the Cayenne is the ultimate vehicle, for just one, especially living in NE if you snowboard, have a boat, etc. etc.

Thinking about a used 2014 GTS. Thoughts?
I would only consider this SUV if I were in love with it's looks, great price, or I have a family (2.5 kids), or a need for luxury TOWING, or the need to carry around a lot of extra oxygen... I like Porsche a lot, I actually work for them (sorta) and the best car I owned was a Cayman. But when it comes to SUVs they seem too over priced... For example I think the X6 and Range Rovers look better etc. in this weird luxury SUV segment...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

when the Cayenne first came out I had a Cayenne S, it was great, quite possibly the best all around vehicle that I could have had at that time. I went snowboarding in it all the time, towed my boats with it, and towed my dump trailer for house projects.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

X5M.

Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
X5M.

Just sayin'.
Based on what.

The cayenne is more dynamic and arguably better looking.
      04-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Based on what.

The cayenne is more dynamic and arguably better looking.
It comes down to personal preference. I prefer the X5 look, it looks like a 4WD rather than a overgrown race car on stilts. The X6 is a better match stylistically to the GTS than the X5.

If you're doing serious towing you'll want the Porsche, it's got a higher towing capacity. That said, 6500lbs (X5M limit) is a reasonable size boat.

But for me, it comes down to the power and equipment level for the price - the GTS is about the same price as an X5M - but in the X5M you get 150hp extra - which means 0-60 times of 4.1 seconds, rather than 5.2. (And of course, being a 'base model' Porsche - you'll get to $30k of options before you walk out of the dealership)

And sure, the Porsche gives better response around the corners, to compare them I'd say the Porsche is designed to be balanced, the X5M has more computing power than the pentagon which keeps you on the road despite physics; but when you're talking about throwing a 5,000lb car around a tight corner at 55mph, it all matters nothing if you hit a loose surface and momentarily loose grip. In the smaller, lower, lighter cars eg: 911/M3 - you slide a bit then recover. But once you've lost traction in a big, high 4WD, it doesn't matter what balance, handling or computer-aids you have - you slide a long way sideways before you regain any control.

For me - in a car this size, straight line performance is more important than cornering ability (and just look at the straight-line performance difference. 5.2 seconds ain't bad, but 4.1 is stupid-fast!) - because I've seen what happens first-hand the difference between unexpectedly loosing traction in a 3000lb sports car vs a 65000lb SUV.

So I'd say it's personal preference. I prefer the equipment level in the X5M, and have no problem with the computer keeping me on the road around the corners. (I've always found the X5M's cornering to be astonishingly good - though, I admit, not because it IS astonishingly good, but because you don't EXPECT a 4WD that high and that heavy to drive around a corner at half the speed that it does) but really I've been sold on the X5M's engine for a long time.

It looks like every other big, slow, lumbering 4WD on the road, but it's faster than an M5 at the lights.

Now a disclaimer: I drive a small, low, fast 1-series now because I wrote off a X5 4.8is when I found out what impact a little bit of gravel on a bitumen road does to your traction. I'd trade up to a 911 in a heartbeat, but no longer have much interest in a SUV that feels much smaller around corners than it actually is. I'm sure you can see that bias in my response.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Get one from Carmax and get their extended warranty.

There are some things that they X5 is greatly superior in though.

Pressing the blinker on the X5 is so much smoother than on the Cayenne. It's like night and day different. In order to get those three "lane change" blinks, the X5 is just so smooth. The Cayenne is much rougher and not nearly as smooth/refined.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

Pressing the blinker on the X5 is so much smoother than on the Cayenne. It's like night and day different. In order to get those three "lane change" blinks, the X5 is just so smooth. The Cayenne is much rougher and not nearly as smooth/refined.
Yeah, the lane change blinker is pretty epic.
Appreciate 2
PoorLurker1135.00
angelr187.50
      04-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Everyone else is making a case that the X5 is a better alternative, but I think I would prefer an XC60 or XC90 over both the GTS and X5. Don't see myself trying to be fast in an suv, and 400hp seems plenty anyways. I just don't like how the Cayanne looks, and the X5 kind of seems bland.
Appreciate 1
Crimson921380.00
      04-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

I'm just going to have to trust you on that. I owned an X5 for about two years and I never used it... Except when I was trying to turn the windscreen wipers on, I knew I'd hit the wrong lever when the dashboard made this absurd 'ticking' noise and flashing some light near the speedo.

I know it was the indicator because I used them incessantly back when I drove Subaru, but yeah, I've just never felt the need to touch it in the BMW.

Other drivers just make way for a big car with the blue and white badge.

(j/k)
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      04-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I owned the X5. I owned the RR full size. I've owned both the Cayenne GTS and now the Turbo.

I personally was not a fan of the ride of the GTS. The lower suspension affects the rebound rate and it might handle flatter but it doesn't ride as nice. I would try to go CTT with PDCC (keeps the CTT flat) since it depreciates to similar numbers to the GTS. Go to 6Speedonline and there are many threads on this. Most who have owned both will point you in the direction of getting a Turbo as the better all arounder.

I have 93K on my Turbo bought new in 2013. Best SUV I ever had. No problems at all when you keep up with maintenance.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #17
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I've driven a bunch of Cayennes including the Turbo S, and they just don't do it for me. My X5M is a much better car in my eyes. And this is coming from a huge Porsche fan and Porsche owner. The tech is lacking, the performance isn't that amazing unless you pay top dollar for the Turbo S, the design is questionable, and the interior.. I don't know where to start on that. I'm just not a fan. The Macan from what I've seen seems to be a better car in most ways, except of course it's smaller.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I owned the X5. I owned the RR full size. I've owned both the Cayenne GTS and now the Turbo.

I personally was not a fan of the ride of the GTS. The lower suspension affects the rebound rate and it might handle flatter but it doesn't ride as nice. I would try to go CTT with PDCC (keeps the CTT flat) since it depreciates to similar numbers to the GTS. Go to 6Speedonline and there are many threads on this. Most who have owned both will point you in the direction of getting a Turbo as the better all arounder.

I have 93K on my Turbo bought new in 2013. Best SUV I ever had. No problems at all when you keep up with maintenance.
Just because I saw your signature - is your R8 black and would you have happened to be driven it on the 5 south yesterday near the Sand Canyon exit?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

I love the cayenne turbo S but at that price point I'd be looking at an X5M fully loaded AND an M4. Which is what I'd rather do.

I know you said GTS, but I don't feel like it's worth the price since it's lacking compared to its competition.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

For towing, I'd go with a truck. If you're stuck with an SUV, I'd consider a Jeep GC SRT. Aside from the fuel economy of the 6.2L, I'm quite impressed with the overall quality and bang for buckness of this Jeep. Thinking of ordering a Trackhawk now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

X5M looks more aggressive but it feels so heavy in comparison to the Cayenne.

New RR Velar is dead sexy inside and out. I'm amazed it comes from the same company as the F-pace which has a rental grade interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Not to jack, but I didn't want/need a thread just for a question.

Does anyone know if this is the production version Aston? The silver one looks different, wheels most noticeably, than the blue and they never show the blue ones front end. That silver still shot is money...literally, Im sure.

Thanks.

Last edited by gonzo; 04-16-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0