BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance coilovers - WAY too high in the rear

06-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
SkyShepherd
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If item J is indeed how the height adjusters are, they need to go on the top after you remove the OEM spring retaining cup and isolator.

This specific pointout helped my installer get the rear settled correctly on my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'm finding that the mp coils use a very wide diameter spring. This limits the amount of front negative camber I can achieve using my camber plates. I can't go too inboard otherwise the very large spring hits the chassis inside the wheel well. I think aftermarket coilovers use a smaller diameter front spring so this allows for a ton of adjustability.

Also the on track performance of the mp coilovers were marginal. Ok but not moton or ohlins amazing.

And the mp coils don't go low enough. With 18x10 track wheels all around there's a lot of wheel gap and I'm looking to go lower. Maybe that'll help me get more neg camber. The only way to go lower is NOT use the rear spring perch adjuster. The front collar has a lot of adjustment so I'm not worried about that. You're limited by the rear tho.

It's a good street set up. Not recommended for track or a lot of adjustability. If I could do it again I wouldn't have bought the mp coils and instead something like KW or better
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #25
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex12psi View Post
I'm finding that the mp coils use a very wide diameter spring. This limits the amount of front negative camber I can achieve using my camber plates. I can't go too inboard otherwise the very large spring hits the chassis inside the wheel well. I think aftermarket coilovers use a smaller diameter front spring so this allows for a ton of adjustability.

Also the on track performance of the mp coilovers were marginal. Ok but not moton or ohlins amazing.

And the mp coils don't go low enough. With 18x10 track wheels all around there's a lot of wheel gap and I'm looking to go lower. Maybe that'll help me get more neg camber. The only way to go lower is NOT use the rear spring perch adjuster. The front collar has a lot of adjustment so I'm not worried about that. You're limited by the rear tho.

It's a good street set up. Not recommended for track or a lot of adjustability. If I could do it again I wouldn't have bought the mp coils and instead something like KW or better
I agree on the height. They come at the lowest setting for the rear springs and are close to stock suspension height. I measured the spring off the car and its a whopping 10 inches tall. I've confirmed the front and rear are 60mm. I'll be swapping the rears out for 8 inch tall springs. Im hoping this will work perfect for all ride heights. The only mystery is spring rates.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #26
ex12psi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post
I agree on the height. They come at the lowest setting for the rear springs and are close to stock suspension height. I measured the spring off the car and its a whopping 10 inches tall. I've confirmed the front and rear are 60mm. I'll be swapping the rears out for 8 inch tall springs. Im hoping this will work perfect for all ride heights. The only mystery is spring rates.
Interesting note about using a shorter spring. Yes the spring rate issue might be problematic since the shocks were matched to the springs it came with. Oh well.

I may just get another aftermarket coilover set and be done with it. My biggest issue is not being able to achieve the camber I need. Anyone want to buy a set of mp coilovers with 1k miles on them? Basically brand new
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Interesting note about using a shorter spring. Yes the spring rate issue might be problematic since the shocks were matched to the springs it came with. Oh well.

I may just get another aftermarket coilover set and be done with it. My biggest issue is not being able to achieve the camber I need. Anyone want to buy a set of mp coilovers with 1k miles on them? Basically brand new
how much front camber are you trying to acheive?
I'm at -3.5
      06-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #28
ex12psi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
how much front camber are you trying to acheive?
I'm at -3.5
I was at -3.2 or so and it was not even close to being enough. I then did a track side adjustment with the GC camber plates (so who knows where I'm at now, guessing -4?) and the car felt MUCH MUCH MUCH better. The NT01s were happier as well. But again, the MP springs were so close to the body I couldn't go any further. I wouldnt mind going further to try, as I feel more would be better.

BMWs like a lot of camber for track. They need it. Based on my experiences tracking E36, E90, F80, now F87.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #29
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
I was at -3.2 or so and it was not even close to being enough. I then did a track side adjustment with the GC camber plates (so who knows where I'm at now, guessing -4?) and the car felt MUCH MUCH MUCH better. The NT01s were happier as well. But again, the MP springs were so close to the body I couldn't go any further. I wouldnt mind going further to try, as I feel more would be better.

BMWs like a lot of camber for track. They need it. Based on my experiences tracking E36, E90, F80, now F87.
yup. the car performs better at track with more negative camber. But now you got me concerned. Im going to check how close the springs are.
      06-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #30
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

ok. So i lifted my car from one side. And took these quick pics.
I have -3.5 camber. stock wheel and tyre. no spacers.
There's about 1/2 inch of space between tyre and spring adjuster.
Attached Images

06-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
ex12psi
Private
Rep

I was talking about the space between the front inner spring coil to the inside shock tower within the wheel wells. The spring is so large in diameter that when you kick the camber negative the spring gets very close if not touches the inner shock tower. Check that clearance since you're running -3.5, I think you're close. I want -4.0 to -4.5 but I'm not sure it'll be possible with the shitty m performance garbage. I may look into a different coil system, and rear links to get more camber in the rear to match up to the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #32
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
I was talking about the space between the front inner spring coil to the inside shock tower within the wheel wells. The spring is so large in diameter that when you kick the camber negative the spring gets very close if not touches the inner shock tower. Check that clearance since you're running -3.5, I think you're close. I want -4.0 to -4.5 but I'm not sure it'll be possible with the shitty m performance garbage. I may look into a different coil system, and rear links to get more camber in the rear to match up to the fronts.
ahhhhh...got it.
I'll check again and take pictures.
      06-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #33
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Where can i get an shorter Spring with right springrate also ?
KW ?
      06-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #34
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbane1967 View Post
Quote:
Where can i get an shorter Spring with right springrate also ?
KW ?
The rears are standard 60mm coil springs. I'm going with 8 inch and 600 lb springs. 60mm springs are very common and you can choose from Eibach, Swift, and Hyperco to name a few.
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #35
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep

Hi

Yes i found 61mm springs from KW on there site as spare parts for their coilovers. There where a LOT of hights to choose from, all tho in mm meassure ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #36
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep

KW springs

Dont know if these will go tho

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/product...gs&16%5B%5D=61
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:24 AM   #37
ex12psi
Private
Rep

just got the car aligned. with m performance coils and gc camber plates. i was able to achieve max -4.0 front camber before the front spring coil hits the inner strut tower. i was hoping for -4.5 and i believe that would be achievable with a different coilover set up with smaller diameter springs.

rear camber (with rear spring adjusters removed for lower ride height) was able to squeeze -2.3 neg camber. not as much as i'd like. i want -3.5 and the only way to do that is buying a bunch of adjustable arms in the rear.

will take the car to the track this sat and report back. nt01 tires 275/35 on 18x10 square.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #38
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
just got the car aligned. with m performance coils and gc camber plates. i was able to achieve max -4.0 front camber before the front spring coil hits the inner strut tower. i was hoping for -4.5 and i believe that would be achievable with a different coilover set up with smaller diameter springs.

rear camber (with rear spring adjusters removed for lower ride height) was able to squeeze -2.3 neg camber. not as much as i'd like. i want -3.5 and the only way to do that is buying a bunch of adjustable arms in the rear.

will take the car to the track this sat and report back. nt01 tires 275/35 on 18x10 square.

good to know. I'm at -3.5 at the front so I should not have any rubbing.

Tirerack is out of Re71rs. How do the NITTOs compare?
      07-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #39
ex12psi
Private
Rep

Quote:
good to know. I'm at -3.5 at the front so I should not have any rubbing.

Tirerack is out of Re71rs. How do the NITTOs compare?
Night and day. The re71 suck on the track. Not sure why people love them so much. I tried them on a f80 m3 and they sucked. Awesome street tire and handles track abuse better than the shitty Michelin tires. People need to just drive faster on the track I think

Nt01 is a r comp tire so much more tolerant to track abuse and honestly is the bare min. Right tool for the job comes to mind. Don't take a street tire to the track unless you are parade lapping in which case fine, enjoy. Handles heat better. Lasts longer. More grip. I would rather recommend Hoosier r7. Loved them on a diff car I tracked. Don't last as long tho, half the heat cycles and done. But in their prime they are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #40
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Night and day. The re71 suck on the track. Not sure why people love them so much. I tried them on a f80 m3 and they sucked. Awesome street tire and handles track abuse better than the shitty Michelin tires. People need to just drive faster on the track I think

Nt01 is a r comp tire so much more tolerant to track abuse and honestly is the bare min. Right tool for the job comes to mind. Don't take a street tire to the track unless you are parade lapping in which case fine, enjoy. Handles heat better. Lasts longer. More grip. I would rather recommend Hoosier r7. Loved them on a diff car I tracked. Don't last as long tho, half the heat cycles and done. But in their prime they are awesome.
hmm. I might give them a try. Have you tried the R888? that's a r comp tire. Fast but dont last long.
      07-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #41
ex12psi
Private
Rep

Quote:
hmm. I might give them a try. Have you tried the R888? that's a r comp tire. Fast but dont last long.
i have not. i remember running RA1s back in the day... i believe R888 supersede. have not heard positive things about the R888, NT01s are fine. if i had deeper pockets i would ONLY run the R7s though. but this would require fixed back bucket seats, a roll cage, 6 pt harness, better suspension, etc, etc, etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #42
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
i have not. i remember running RA1s back in the day... i believe R888 supersede. have not heard positive things about the R888, NT01s are fine. if i had deeper pockets i would ONLY run the R7s though. but this would require fixed back bucket seats, a roll cage, 6 pt harness, better suspension, etc, etc, etc...
      10-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #43
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Anyone have the M Performance Coilover installation instructions in English?
Thank you to Bee Pee for these. Perhaps Artemis can add these to the sticky next to the German instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M2 Coil over kit.pdf (1.99 MB, 1852 views)

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 10-02-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1737.50
ried791.50
      05-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #44
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Anyone have the M Performance Coilover installation instructions in English?
Thank you to Bee Pee for these. Perhaps Artemis can add these to the sticky next to the German instructions.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but wanted to share my experience. My mechanic is installing the suspension on a 2018 M2 and also had an issue with the right height, however they were not installing the springs upside down. The other issue apparently is that where the spring ride height adjuster sits in the upper perch, there is an OEM cup that must be removed in order for the aftermarket shock to fit in. Just wanted to let people know in case they have a similar issue.
Appreciate 0