BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DIY Upgraded Intercooler Mount (Ft. Homedepot)

04-25-2023, 10:27 PM   #1
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
DIY Upgraded Intercooler Mount (Ft. Homedepot)

Hello everyone. Ever since I upgraded to a CSF intercooler, I been always a bit concerned with the 2 machine screws holding up that giant unit of a intercooler. Even with longer screws, my thought process is that as the car ages, plastic will become brittle and someday it'll bust right off. Although I'm sure the pipes will hold it up some what, I just didn't want to risk a catastrophic failure and living with the chance that the thing rips straight off and me driving over it for god knows how much damage. This week, I decided to make a upgraded mount and here is what I came up with.

I noticed there were 2 ledges on the edges of the intercooler that is structural. So I made essentially a really long hanger to hang off of these 2 ledges.

The center piece is an aluminum angle that I cut down to length. There are 2 smaller pieces of aluminum flats that I use as the hangers. The hardware was a threaded rod with nuts and washers. I used a threaded rod that I cut to length as I couldn't find a bolt that was the length I wanted. Another reason why I went with the threaded was that I can use the bolts to raise up the aluminum angle until it is nice n snug with the intercooler without having to use shims. All in all, it took about 5 hours from conceptualization to finished product. The under panel still fits, just the 2 fins near the center required a slight trim. Overall I am very happy with the result, I actually tested the thing without the 2 machine screws and it is SOLID AF. I even put most of my body weight hanging off of it and it didn't even flex. No more worry now. Total spend about 45 CAD all from home depot as always

Entire apparatus:
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  364.7 KB

Connection adjustable hardware:
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  194.6 KB

Mounted driver side:
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  160.4 KB