BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Need some advice/getting ready to track

01-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Pristine_m2c
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m2 competition

I just got a 2020 M2c so looking for some advice. I am about to do my first track day with this car at COTA in feb what are some things you guys would recommend need to do to get track ready or am I pretty much ready to go? I have tracked before just the first time with this car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

So first track day for you too, or just the car’s? Any autocross or other motorsports experience that might accelerate your learning curve?

If it’s your first day and not just the car’s, you’ll probably spend the day learning the track, the line, and working on basic skills. You probably won’t be pushing the limits of the car, but everyone learns at a different rate.

Optionally, maybe consider a more track oriented brake pad and a higher temperature brake fluid. If your car were a 2019 or older, I’d strongly encourage a brake fluid flush, but being a 2020, that probably means it is less than 6 months old, so the brake fluid is still pretty fresh.

Eventually you might want to invest in camber plates and dedicated wheels and tires if you’re tracking often.

I wouldn’t rush out and invest in any of this right away until you know you’re hooked.

Do make sure you know how to turn off the forward collision warning. It can get confused on track.

Most important prep is just showing up rested, humble, and ready to learn. Definitely take any opportunity offered to jump in the right seat with an instructor.

Have fun out there! I’ve heard good things about COA and will have to make the trek one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pristine_m2c View Post
I just got a 2020 M2c so looking for some advice. I am about to do my first track day with this car at COTA in feb what are some things you guys would recommend need to do to get track ready or am I pretty much ready to go?
Congratulations, beautiful car. You did't say if you have prior track experience with other cars. Either way just concentrate on learning the track and your new car if you do not have experience there. Just don't take it to 10 on your first time out. Do you run with a Club or is it an open Track Day?
      01-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Pristine_m2c
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
I just got a 2020 M2c so looking for some advice. I am about to do my first track day with this car at COTA in feb what are some things you guys would recommend need to do to get track ready or am I pretty much ready to go?
Congratulations, beautiful car. You did't say if you have prior track experience with other cars. Either way just concentrate on learning the track and your new car if you do not have experience there. Just don't take it to 10 on your first time out. Do you run with a Club or is it an open Track Day?
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks I have track many time just first time with this car. I usually run with a group called edge addicts. But this time I will be with Chin trackdays
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Track brake pads and high temp fluid are highly recommended, nothing worse than nuking your brakes on your first time out, or experiencing fade into a high speed corner.

EDIT: also, I'd recommend driving in sport mode for a bit to get a feel for the car rather than full DSC off. You'll eat some brake pads with traction control kicking in, but it's better than getting sideways when you're not expecting it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks I have track many time just first time with this car. I usually run with a group called edge addicts. But this time I will be with Chin trackdays
I have run with them once at Palmer a couple of years ago. I was just on their web-site. $600 for 1 track day Are track days that expensive in Texas?
      01-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
Pristine_m2c
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have run with them once at Palmer a couple of years ago. I was just on their web-site. $600 for 1 track day Are track days that expensive in Texas?
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah but it is at a F1 track so
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Need some advice/getting ready to track

If you haven't already... see:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1644361

And

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1664644
Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      01-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Rule 1 of forums should be use the search function b4 starting a beat to death topic.
      01-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Yeah but it is at a F1 track so
F1 tracks are even more expensive in Europe.

I pay 799 Euro for a day at Spa Francorchamps, and 849 for Nordschleife (though no longer an F1 track, but GOD DAMN what a circuit). Hockenheim is usually available for mid 400 Euro, but compared to the other 2 it pales is comparison.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 01-11-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Chin runs pretty similarly to Edge Addicts so you should be familiar with the format. If you have run COTA before then you probably know it is hard on brakes - pads and fluid are a good idea. If this is your first time at COTA then might want to watch some videos, run the track in forza, etc. - anything that will help to learn the layout. Since it is your first time with Chin then I assume you will have an instructor which should definitely help with the lines.

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be fresh asphalt in spots and this is going to be the first event after it is completed. No one will really know going in how that will affect grip yet especially if it gets wet. I’m heading out there at least that Saturday to see how the track is and for some testing in my E92 M3. Ought to be a fun event.
Appreciate 0