BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

04-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #485
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
I have got the nostrum HPFP installed on my car now and will start tuning with it next week via Ecutek
Whose doing your tuning?
Quote:
Quote:
I have got the nostrum HPFP installed on my car now and will start tuning with it next week via Ecutek
Whose doing your tuning?
Indigo-gt here in the UK. Been waiting for a custom turbo to intercooler pipe to come, its arrived now so will be fitted on Tuesday.

They know how to tune a car so we will see what they can get out of the setup for me
Sweet. What other mods are you running?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #486
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whose doing your tuning?
Quote:
Quote:
Whose doing your tuning?
Indigo-gt here in the UK. Been waiting for a custom turbo to intercooler pipe to come, its arrived now so will be fitted on Tuesday.

They know how to tune a car so we will see what they can get out of the setup for me
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whose doing your tuning?
Quote:
Quote:
Whose doing your tuning?

built engine
vtt crank hub
decat + mpe
wagner evo 3
csf radiator, oil + dct cooler
3.5bar tmap
aem meth kit
step colder plugs
amra intake
pure inlet
ross sport 3582 turbo
turbo smart dv
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      04-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #487
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
If anyone is interested in picking up a Nostrum HPFP, shoot me a message. I can hook you up with a discount.
Appreciate 2
F87source7253.50
      04-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #488
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If anyone is interested in picking up a Nostrum HPFP, shoot me a message. I can hook you up with a discount.
Quote:
Nostrum pump is A1 much better than the Xdi it replaced. Jump on this offer
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      04-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #489
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
It's the calibration that makes xdi's hpfp run so poorly.
      04-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #490
MetalM2
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've just gone ahead and ordered this pump (much thanks to DetroitM2 for the discount code), based on the feedback in this thread and some online research of Nostrum itself. I'll be happy to report on installation (as relayed to me by the installer! lol) and initial operation once the job is done, but both DetroitM2 and Boldy are already happily running this pump.

I won't upgrade the turbo until next year, but I have no convenient access to E85 or similar here in Ottawa so for my 91/93 octane requirements the higher flow of the Dorch Stage 2 would be irrelevant. At this price the Nostrum seems to be the best option for me.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      04-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #491
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalM2 View Post
I've just gone ahead and ordered this pump (much thanks to DetroitM2 for the discount code), based on the feedback in this thread and some online research of Nostrum itself. I'll be happy to report on installation (as relayed to me by the installer! lol) and initial operation once the job is done, but both DetroitM2 and Boldy are already happily running this pump.

I won't upgrade the turbo until next year, but I have no convenient access to E85 or similar here in Ottawa so for my 91/93 octane requirements the higher flow of the Dorch Stage 2 would be irrelevant. At this price the Nostrum seems to be the best option for me.
If you have no plans to run E85, why upgrade the fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #492
MetalM2
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalM2 View Post

If you have no plans to run E85, why upgrade the fuel pump?
I will be upgrading the turbo next year, so the new HPFP will be required. It also future-proofs it, in case E85 does eventually come to the local area (Ontario is supposed to increase the overall ethanol content of its gas to 15% by 2030). Within the next month I will have all the support mods in place (most are already installed): CSF intercooler, Pure Turbos inlet pipe, ER charge pipe, GFB+ diverter valve, AA catted DP, ECUTEK tune, Nostrum HPFP.

I wish I could have done all the mods immediately but the sticker shock would have killed me! And that's just the power mods, nevermind eventually getting around to the suspension....

I wish I had the same passion for spending money on an appreciating asset like my house, instead of a depreciating asset like my car!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #493
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
MHD support is in the works. No word on ETA yet, but I'll update here once I know.
I'm interested! But I need MHD support...
      04-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #494
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
If you already have a custom tune, it's likely your tuner can setup the fueling values for you. But I've never used MHD, so I cant specifically state that will work. If it works anything like BM3, the fueling maps are all available to tuners for tweaking. When I said there was no MHD support yet, I simply meant that there is no magical drop-down option in their OTS maps. (like the one available for BM3)

I did reach out to my contact to see if there was any ETA on the availability of the OTS map option on MHD. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #495
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Good news. My contact got back to me (i know, that was fast). The MHD drop-down is supposed to be available as soon as Monday! They're adding both for N55, and S55. There should be a post from MHD on various channels about it soon.
Appreciate 1
F87source7253.50
      04-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #496
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good news. My contact got back to me (i know, that was fast). The MHD drop-down is supposed to be available as soon as Monday! They're adding both for N55, and S55. There should be a post from MHD on various channels about it soon.
Nice!!!
      04-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #497
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
we sorted the calibration and a issue thats been affecting many. the xdi was
running spot on and is a good pump. The nostrum is a better more complete package. and that's my tuners words which i agree with.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      04-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #498
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
F87source MHD support should be officially available now for the Nostrum pump. Can you update the first post to include this info? I dont have MHD to confirm, maybe someone can verify?

AmuroRay If you're interested in picking one up shoot me a message and I can give you a code for 10% off.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      04-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #499
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
F87source MHD support should be officially available now for the Nostrum pump. Can you update the first post to include this info? I dont have MHD to confirm, maybe someone can verify?

AmuroRay If you're interested in picking one up shoot me a message and I can give you a code for 10% off.
Thank you for remembering me! Just one last question - this is plug and play, right? (minus selection in MHD/BM3 the like)
      04-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #500
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for remembering me! Just one last question - this is plug and play, right? (minus selection in MHD/BM3 the like)
Yes. It does require you remove quite a bit to get to it. But it doesn't require any kind of special tools or fabrication. Just gotta remove the old one, install the new, flash tune, and drive.

Standard Disclaimer: As with any kind of performance upgrade, if you're not comfortable wrenching on your own, please take it to a qualified mechanic to have them do the installation for you. You are messing with the fueling system on your car, which has its fair share of risks, improper installation may result in fuel leaking and potentially catching on fire.

That being said, it's not terribly difficult. Just be sure you discharge the LPFP pressure before you start pulling the fuel lines off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJjssUspxK9

You have been warned.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      04-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #501
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. It does require you remove quite a bit to get to it. But it doesn't require any kind of special tools or fabrication. Just gotta remove the old one, install the new, flash tune, and drive.

Standard Disclaimer: As with any kind of performance upgrade, if you're not comfortable wrenching on your own, please take it to a qualified mechanic to have them do the installation for you. You are messing with the fueling system on your car, which has its fair share of risks, improper installation may result in fuel leaking and potentially catching on fire.

That being said, it's not terribly difficult. Just be sure you discharge the LPFP pressure before you start pulling the fuel lines off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJjssUspxK9

You have been warned.
You're the man, thank you. I see they are out of stock, how long is the discount good for?
      04-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #502
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
You're the man, thank you. I see they are out of stock, how long is the discount good for?
No expiration that i've been told. I'll check on stock levels.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #503
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There should be more in stock by the end of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #504
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There should be more in stock by the end of the week.
You're the real MVP.
      05-11-2021, 01:49 AM   #505
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I got 94 last week here in Calgary, Husky's website still shows 94 available. You sure its gone, I googled and only found an Audizine post from someone in MB claiming so. The number of stations with it has gone down overtime, but I'm curious if it's actually disappearing altogether.

Edit, I see a reddit post from Edmonton as well.
Ok it is official now husky 94 is no more, none of the local gas stations have it and husky customer service emailed me back and they confirmed they will no longer have 94. This was pretty much the only reason imo that Husky had any form of business with their gas stations - because shell offers aero plan miles which is better than husky rewards, mobil offers pc points which you can use to buy food and at a better rate etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
Although he did say that 94 chev mixed with ethanol was the best results. Kinda sucks coz he didnt test shell 91 with ethanol as well

Ok I am in the process of logging different fuels now, and here is my current rating (from best to worst) based on prior knowledge and talking to alot of reputable tuners in Canada and talking to alot of people who logged their cars.

1) I just tried shell 91 with e85 blended to make E10.1 and so far the E85 from the pump in my city is fricken unreal as it despenses E87.5 all year round and the price is the same as regular which is awesome! Trims so far match Husky 94 on the stock tune and logging show zero abnormalities with fuel trims or AFR so it is safe (obviously at E10 it would be safe). Timing also looks rock solid even logging on a hotter day with the stock intercooler heat soaking a bit - but more data will be gathered before I make a conclusion on how good this combo is. When calculating octane (which is not as straight forward as online calculators make it seem as I will explain in my article that I will publish later on) renders a fuel somewhere in the neighbour hood of ~93 octane. But since the blend was done perfectly down to almost the mL and the base stock of gas (shell 91) is so fricken good I think this 93 octane is more consistent and better than Husky 94 which could have had the ethanol percentage vary as it is only guaranteed up to 10%.

But I must say I do not know if this solution is sustainable because I heard rumours shell is transitioning to bio fuel usage (I Heard Manitoba is first then BC) to stay more environmentally friendly so all their fuels may contain ethanol in the future. If this is true you may no longer be able to mix ethanol with it as it would surpass the 10% tolerance the car has for ethanol from the factory and the stock tune would have to compensate for fuelling and thus trims would be really off. However I did test shell 91 today and it had zero ethanol so for now this solution is still viable.

2) Petro 94 - I gave this fuel alot of flack in the past and still do today. This is because of its inconsistencies. In the summer when this fuel is in its true form without the winter additive garbage they put in, then this gas is just as good as husky 94. In the winter when they do their winter blend garbage the fuel quality drops and this was noted by my former sti tuner who looks at alot of logs. So this is why I never recommended getting a protune with this fuel as it is too inconsistent and you'd be wasting your money. But I will log this fuel as well to see how it performs when the fuel is at its best aka during the summer.

3) Shell 91: the best 91 octane fuel you can get out there from my experience. It is consistent all year round and has zero ethanol for now (hopefully forever but IDK if that will hold true). I normally put shell before petro because I factor consistency in heavily over max potential but this time for just sheer octane petro is better in the summer, in the winter I would go with shell. I will not be logging this fuel as it will just behave like a really solid 91 would.

4) Chevron 94: This fuel is absolute garbage according to the BC GTR owners with it behaving worse than shell 91, my tuner has also said when he data logged this fuel on the dyno it performed like crap as well and to steer clear of it. But all this data was given a few years ago and I heard alot of GTR guys providing Chevron fuel customer service with their experiences so maybe they might have made a change. If I feel brave enough (it might be like putting 89 octane in the tank) or have the desire to log this fuel I will do it and get an ethanol test as well (it should turn out to have no ethanol as it is heavily advertised on Chevron's site to have no ethanol). I really do hope this fuel has changed and has gotten better because this would be absolutely incredible to have as a base fuel to mix with ethanol as the final octane would be insanely good.

If any Canadians living in Western Canada (AB, SASK, and BC) have any fuel suggestions that you want me to test let me know and I will add it to the list.
      05-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #506
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I'm going to give Petro a go after my last 1/4 tank of Husky 94 is gone. Never had good luck with Shell V-Power, I think these turbo cars like the ethanol, always feels down on power compared to Husky 94.
Appreciate 0