BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

12-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #375
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Forgive the stupid question but is it fuelling that limits the power of the N55 M2 more so than the turbo? in which case, is a HPFP upgrade a good first step upgrade ahead of potential Turbo upgrade?
Kinda both, but you can get more power out of the stock turbo with better fueling, you'll just need a larger turbo to flow more and flatten the curve up top.

More discussion here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782079
To piggyback off this question:

I plan on eventually getting a larger turbo as I already have all supporting mods. I have an xdi-35 at the moment but it sort of seems like I should go with a different hpfp. Will I make more power on stock turbo and a dorch hpfp or is the stock turbo/ xdi maxing out the stock turbo already? I'm on pump gas
      12-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #376
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
To piggyback off this question:

I plan on eventually getting a larger turbo as I already have all supporting mods. I have an xdi-35 at the moment but it sort of seems like I should go with a different hpfp. Will I make more power on stock turbo and a dorch hpfp or is the stock turbo/ xdi maxing out the stock turbo already? I'm on pump gas
So, you're not going to get much more out of the stock turbo on 93 regardless of which HPFP you go with.

But, if you change to the BM3 Stg 2+ E30 or Race Gas OTS maps and add the proper fuel, you'll definitely get a nice bump in power with the stock turbo: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782079

The XDI-35 should flow enough to max out the stock turbo with Race Gas. With ethanol, you'll be right on the edge in colder temps if you're running an E35-E40 mix and the Stg 2+ map.

My Dorch Stage 1 that flows a little more than the XDI will have HPFP drop outs in <45F weather with an E47 mix. If I drop to E40, it's fine. So, you may have to drop to E35 or so in cold weather, but that's still enough to make 440whp with the Stg 2+ maps.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #377
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I wanted to update the original post of this thread to include Nostrum performance, detroitm2 has informed me about this company and is working with them so he would have the best information for it.

So far their site: https://www.nostrumshop.com/product/vw-ea888-gen-3/ has the n55 tab directing to the VAG EA888 gen 3 hpfp upgrade, so I suspect the bmw specific data has yet to be published on their page.

Judging by the VW redirect it could be flowing 36% more than stock which if it holds true for bmws would make it equal to the XDI stage 1 upgrade for far less money, but falling way far behind spool and dorch. Warranty is also unknown at the time being, but hopefully it is lifetime like dorch and spool.
      12-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #378
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I wanted to update the original post of this thread to include Nostrum performance, detroitm2 has informed me about this company and is working with them so he would have the best information for it.

So far their site: https://www.nostrumshop.com/product/vw-ea888-gen-3/ has the n55 tab directing to the VAG EA888 gen 3 hpfp upgrade, so I suspect the bmw specific data has yet to be published on their page.

Judging by the VW redirect it could be flowing 36% more than stock which if it holds true for bmws would make it equal to the XDI stage 1 upgrade for far less money, but falling way far behind spool and dorch. Warranty is also unknown at the time being, but hopefully it is lifetime like dorch and spool.
N55 pump is here:

https://www.nostrumshop.com/product/bmw-n55-hpfp-kit/

It's rated at 63% over stock. Though in talking with them, they mentioned they flow tested some other pumps on the market and are skeptical about some of the numbers posted.

I'm going to try to get some actual graphs from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #379
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
N55 pump is here:

It's rated at 63% over stock. Though in talking with them, they mentioned they flow tested some other pumps on the market and are skeptical about some of the numbers posted.

That's better, ok that is really good numbers for the price. I will update the original post.

Also note: compatibility is only for N55's with the piston style pumps, so early E series n55's such as those listed in their vehicle application tab will not be compatible with this pump.

One last thing - Flow seems to be lower than other stage 2 pumps, but we will see when the data is released. If indeed this HPFP can match other stage 2 HPFP's in terms of max power supported on full e85 or pump gas then it comes down to 2 factors:

1) Price: If the nostrum pump can stay at the $1300 price and not jump up to $1650 price after it has launched for awhile then it will be the cheapest stage 2 HPFP out there which is a plus.
2) Warranty: Depending on warranty duration factor 1 may not mean anything. Because even if it is $400 cheaper (at $1300) than any other stage 2 HPFP, dorch and spool have life time warrantys which imo is worth more than $400. If the price is at $1650 after launch and it does not have a life time warranty then this is essentially not going to be a good option in terms of bang for the buck. Essentially what I'm trying to say is imo if an HPFP upgrade does not have life time warranty it is not worth it imo (unless it is significantly cheaper than the competition), especially when the competition is offering it.

Last edited by F87source; 12-27-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #380
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
2) Warranty: Depending on warranty duration factor 1 may not mean anything. Because even if it is $400 cheaper (at $1300) than any other stage 2 HPFP, dorch and spool have life time warrantys which imo is worth more than $400. If the price is at $1650 after launch and it does not have a life time warranty then this is essentially not going to be a good option in terms of bang for the buck. Essentially what I'm trying to say is imo if an HPFP upgrade does not have life time warranty it is not worth it imo (unless it is significantly cheaper than the competition), especially when the competition is offering it.
Not sure I 100% agree on the warranty part.

There's plenty of aftermarket products that are highly recommended on this forum that carry little to no warranty. As you mentioned, we didn't have any HPFP options a few years ago, so manufacturers are just coming into this sector. I'm sure once we see them around for 5 or 10 years, and warranty concerns will be put to bed.

Additionally, warranty claims are always a crap shoot. If you do not fall within a very narrow set of circumstances, they're likely to deny you.

(not saying this is the case with dorch/spool, just in general)

I'll try to get some more clarification on the warranty this week and report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #381
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
N55 pump is here:

There were some rumors on the F30 forum that this pump didn’t require modified HPFP tables and would just plug in and have the ability flow more fuel without modifying/flashing your tune.

I thought that sounded a bit far fetched. Can you confirm if this is/isn’t the case?

I assume it’s not the case, but it would be a nice “feature” the have the ability to actually relock the DME on the stock tune while running the HPFP for trips to the dealer, even though most of us N55 owners are coming out of warranty soon.

They’d still see the pump and boost history and deny an engine claim, but just wondering.

Better question: When are you going to get to try a Stage 2+ map?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #382
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
N55 pump is here:

There were some rumors on the F30 forum that this pump didn't require modified HPFP tables and would just plug in and have the ability flow more fuel without modifying/flashing your tune.

I thought that sounded a bit far fetched. Can you confirm if this is/isn't the case?

I assume it's not the case, but it would be a nice "feature" the have the ability to actually relock the DME on the stock tune while running the HPFP for trips to the dealer, even though most of us N55 owners are coming out of warranty soon.

They'd still see the pump and boost history and deny an engine claim, but just wondering.

Indeed! I'm going to ask about that, and will certainly know first hand.

The stage 2+ tune being OTS isn't going to see a ton of benefit until they get their pump added to it. I'd imagine that the pump may work without tuning, but obviously a tune is going to unlock its full potential. I do plan in getting some before/after data logs and dyno charts to compare. I'm running the stage 2 93oct tune currently.

I'll know more in late January. Should be getting into the shop in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50
      12-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #383
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
N55 pump is here:

There were some rumors on the F30 forum that this pump didn't require modified HPFP tables and would just plug in and have the ability flow more fuel without modifying/flashing your tune.

I thought that sounded a bit far fetched. Can you confirm if this is/isn't the case?

I assume it's not the case, but it would be a nice "feature" the have the ability to actually relock the DME on the stock tune while running the HPFP for trips to the dealer, even though most of us N55 owners are coming out of warranty soon.

They'd still see the pump and boost history and deny an engine claim, but just wondering.

So bit of clarification on the "run without a tune" rumor.

The pump will start without a tune. But it's not recommended that you drive the car around.

So it's not really viable to reflash stock tune before going to the dealership.
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50
      12-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #384
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

One last thing - Flow seems to be lower than other stage 2 pumps, but we will see when the data is released. If indeed this HPFP can match other stage 2 HPFP's in terms of max power supported on full e85 or pump gas then it comes down to 2 factors:

1) Price: If the nostrum pump can stay at the $1300 price and not jump up to $1650 price after it has launched for awhile then it will be the cheapest stage 2 HPFP out there which is a plus.
Couple updates here. These are directly from Nostrum.

Warranty:

"As far as the warranty goes, we have a standard 2-year warranty and as long as someone has proof of purchase, I'm always willing to work with someone if they have any issue with a product. The reason we do not offer lifetime warranty is because we build a quality product and we feel offering a lifetime warranty screams "our product breaks a lot""

Flow rate vs. competitors:

"So, we only offer one pump which is a Big bore and flows 63% over stock.

Spool and Dorch both offer a small bore and big bore HPFP. They claim the small bore is a 50% increase while the Big bore is an 80% increase. If I'm being completely honest, I do not believe its physically possible for the pump to be any bigger than the one we offer, and 63% is the maximum increase.

That being said I'm curious how they are making such a claim."

Pricing:

"Our price will most likely stay around the 1300-1400 range but I will know for sure in 2 weeks as we are restructuring our pricing in prep for 2021."

Additionally, I got some further information on bootmod3 integration. Not going to get anyones hopes up, but we may have this option available sooner rather than later. Once I get the OK I can give some more specific details.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #385
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Couple updates here. These are directly from Nostrum.

Warranty:

"As far as the warranty goes, we have a standard 2-year warranty and as long as someone has proof of purchase, I'm always willing to work with someone if they have any issue with a product. The reason we do not offer lifetime warranty is because we build a quality product and we feel offering a lifetime warranty screams "our product breaks a lot""

Flow rate vs. competitors:

"So, we only offer one pump which is a Big bore and flows 63% over stock.

Spool and Dorch both offer a small bore and big bore HPFP. They claim the small bore is a 50% increase while the Big bore is an 80% increase. If I'm being completely honest, I do not believe its physically possible for the pump to be any bigger than the one we offer, and 63% is the maximum increase.

That being said I'm curious how they are making such a claim."

Pricing:

"Our price will most likely stay around the 1300-1400 range but I will know for sure in 2 weeks as we are restructuring our pricing in prep for 2021."

Additionally, I got some further information on bootmod3 integration. Not going to get anyones hopes up, but we may have this option available sooner rather than later. Once I get the OK I can give some more specific details.
Glad to see some updates:

1) I feel that life time warrantees show that the company is putting their money where their mouth is, and willing to stand behind their product not the other way around. Remember oem HPFP's on the F series fail when the seal breaks and the pump looses all pressure. This can happen to any pump and especially with higher mileage cars. Also personally I'd rather have a lifetime warranty than have a vendors word that they will work with me.

2) Can't comment on flow rates until we see the results and I am hoping these guys can compete with the other few companies.

3) If pricing stays around $1300-$1400 that will be excellent.

I will update the original post.
      12-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #386
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I 100% agree on the warranty part.

There's plenty of aftermarket products that are highly recommended on this forum that carry little to no warranty. As you mentioned, we didn't have any HPFP options a few years ago, so manufacturers are just coming into this sector. I'm sure once we see them around for 5 or 10 years, and warranty concerns will be put to bed.

Additionally, warranty claims are always a crap shoot. If you do not fall within a very narrow set of circumstances, they're likely to deny you.

(not saying this is the case with dorch/spool, just in general)

I'll try to get some more clarification on the warranty this week and report back.
Yeah there are lots of products without life time warrantees, but when you are moving into a sector where the majority of vendors offer life time warrantees and the oem parts are known to fail at high mileage, then having a life time warranty is a huge benefit - especially when the prices are so close.

Yes these parts are generally very new, and when you are going to pick an untested part that costs alot of money, it is nice to know the vendor has your back with a life time warranty, and you are not gambling on the fact that it will be reliable. Every moving part will wear over time, so in those 5-10 years we will likely see failures not the other way around.

Warranty claims (life time or not) can be good or bad, but if the vendor wants to stay reputable then they will honor it. I would still rather have a life time warranty than not. Look at FCP euro for example, life time warranty on everything and anything they sell, not one case of not being able to claim it. This is the direct new companies are going to earn business, and it shows they can stand behind their product.

Btw this is from spool's website:

1) All products sold directly by Spool performance, LLC are eligible for the Spool Lifetime warranty program.

2) Warranty is valid only to the original direct purchaser.

3) Customers shall be responsible for associated shipping costs.

4) No fine print or blaming install errors! We just stand by our products!

Seems very clear and concise to me, like I said the industry seems to be moving this way where if you make a good product you can stand behind it. It also makes a consumer feel that the part is designed to last and not designed to have planned obsolescence.
      01-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #387
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

Would there be any benefits from upgrading the fuel pump, if my only available gas is 93 octane pump gas and I do not plan to go bigger turbo?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #388
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktom2 View Post
Would there be any benefits from upgrading the fuel pump, if my only available gas is 93 octane pump gas and I do not plan to go bigger turbo?
Honestly, probably not. The oem fuel pump should be able to run 93 octane with a stage 2ish tune without much trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #389
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, probably not. The oem fuel pump should be able to run 93 octane with a stage 2ish tune without much trouble.
+1

Zero gains to be had, it would be better to put your money into other mods.
      01-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #390
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

Ok thanks! Thats one less thing to worry.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #391
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Tentative install date for my Nostrum HPFP is the week of 1/25. Hoping to have some data shortly after that.

I'm going to try to video the install process along with the dyno numbers before and after on various tunes.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      01-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #392
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Tentative install date for my Nostrum HPFP is the week of 1/25. Hoping to have some data shortly after that.

I'm going to try to video the install process along with the dyno numbers before and after on various tunes.
Make sure the tune doesn't have the low rpm high load (full throttle) tip in hesitations. The bm3 hpfp tick box for the xdi pumps seem to have this issue, but I believe they can fix this with more refinement.
      01-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #393
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

I'm currently working with BendCalibration and a vendor on testing a stage 3 HPFP solution. It's projected to flow over 120% compared to stock and is a much tidier and less complex solution than the S55 dual pump retrofit that's available on the market currently.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #394
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
I'm currently working with BendCalibration and a vendor on testing a stage 3 HPFP solution. It's projected to flow over 120% compared to stock and is a much tidier and less complex solution than the S55 dual pump retrofit that's available on the market currently.
Very nice!

Keep us updated when the vendor is willing to give more info so I can update the thread.
      01-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #395
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Looking forward to this. I don't personally want to run wmi or PI so this will be my go to.
      01-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #396
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Looking forward to this. I don't personally want to run wmi or PI so this will be my go to.
Yep! See my preliminary thread on it: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782572
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0