BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 crash :( need advice

06-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
bmwm22018
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Happens to the best of us. That extra little tap on the pedal is always so tempting in this car. Hope everything works out, like many have said, it's only a car after all, don't dwell on it.
thanks man, i was just so shocked at how quickly i lost control of it driving what i thought was relatively carefully. Just the naivety of someone new to a rwd car in the wet and not respecting it i guess... tough lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #24
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Sorry to see man. Hope you can sort it out.

So this M2 is your first RWD car?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #25
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Sorry to see this, but it looks 100% repairable. No one was hurt, so that's a good thing. Chalk it up to new experience and move on.
      06-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Sorry to see man. Hope you can sort it out.

So this M2 is your first RWD car?
thanks man. yeah first RWD car and was aware that obviously they are more of a handful but in that moment i wasn't considering that. stupid mistake on my part, no one else to blame but myself!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Sorry to see this, but it looks 100% repairable. No one was hurt, so that's a good thing. Chalk it up to new experience and move on.
thanks amancuso, appreciate it will be able to update on what the garage say tomorrow. expecting i'll be waiting a few weeks/months no doubt to get it back but got everything crossed.

you can guarantee i'll be learning from this!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm22018 View Post
Quote:
Happens to the best of us. That extra little tap on the pedal is always so tempting in this car. Hope everything works out, like many have said, it's only a car after all, don't dwell on it.
thanks man, i was just so shocked at how quickly i lost control of it driving what i thought was relatively carefully. Just the naivety of someone new to a rwd car in the wet and not respecting it i guess... tough lesson learned.
It could of been worst; I slid out in the rain before, if you overwhelm any tires in the wet or snow/slush, it could happen..

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
It‘s a hard way to learn a lesson. But thanks god not you and no one else was hurt, thats most important. Definitely a dissapointment and a big hassle, but the car can either be fixed or replaced so all good in the end.

I‘m driving RWD BMW‘s for nearly two decades now. Still one of the first things i have in mind doing after i received the M2C is to do all the drivers trainings again. Its important to know how your vehicle reacts in absolutely extreme situations. I‘d highly recommend you to have a look at such trainings, will be money well worth spent and a lot of fun learning kool things in a safe environment
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      06-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #30
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
It‘s a hard way to learn a lesson. But thanks god not you and no one else was hurt, thats most important. Definitely a dissapointment and a big hassle, but the car can either be fixed or replaced so all good in the end.

I‘m driving RWD BMW‘s for nearly two decades now. Still one of the first things i have in mind doing after i received the M2C is to do all the drivers trainings again. Its important to know how your vehicle reacts in absolutely extreme situations. I‘d highly recommend you to have a look at such trainings, will be money well worth spent and a lot of fun learning kool things in a safe environment
you make a good point - i need to focus on the positives here and it could have been so much worse.

i think thats probably a good idea and i will be looking into that. meant to be doing a porsche driving experience round a track in a couple months but might be worth doing one for the M2 as well. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #31
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
ah man that sounds pretty horrid. glad you got it sorted though. how long did it take to fix?

Yeah im expecting around £15k or so of damage, hoping it isn't a write off based on structural damage but will find out tomorrow.
Was about a month - six weeks in the body shop if i recall. Wasn't an overnight fix. Was a bang on paint match they did though. Looks better now than it did before. Got rid of all the stone chips anyway. Yours will defs be sub £10k if its just the panel damage and wheels. Fingers crossed, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #32
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks man. yeah first RWD car and was aware that obviously they are more of a handful but in that moment i wasn't considering that. stupid mistake on my part, no one else to blame but myself!
Serious bummer. I feel for you but as others have said, it is a car and can be repaired or replaced. All involved are okay so it can be considered an inexpensive lesson in some respects even if the fix isn't cheap.

FWIW, a simple car control class will help you understand the limits of your car, your skill and make your M2 a heck of a lot more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #33
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Are you sure you had the traction/stability control on? Granted I have not ever tried it in sport, but out at the performance delivery center here in the states, they have a nice wet skidpad and you can't get the rear end to come out no matter how hard you try. Weird that even in sport mode this would happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #34
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Are you sure you had the traction/stability control on? Granted I have not ever tried it in sport, but out at the performance delivery center here in the states, they have a nice wet skidpad and you can't get the rear end to come out no matter how hard you try. Weird that even in sport mode this would happen.
Doesnt Sport+ reduce the intervention amount of DSC, I know this happens in the F30 3 Series (in the loaners ive had) does something like this happen on the M2 as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #35
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Doesnt Sport+ reduce the intervention amount of DSC, I know this happens in the F30 3 Series (in the loaners ive had) does something like this happen on the M2 as well?
He said he was in sport which should have all nannies on. Perhaps he thought he was in sport was in sport+ or hit the DSC or held the DSC button.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #36
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
He said he was in sport which should have all nannies on. Perhaps he thought he was in sport was in sport+ or hit the DSC or held the DSC button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
yeah this is what i dont get - i never expected the tail to go out as i hadn't turned the traction off. granted the camber of the roundabout is a bit odd and it was pretty wet but im still so confused by the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #37
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

100% repairable. $12-15k sounds right. Take it to the dealer for the suspension and drivetrain components then to the body shop of your choice.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      06-13-2018, 01:47 AM   #38
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

glad you were not hurt. @ a quick glance looks worse than it probably is, the gap is still good at the top of the door, everything just got pinched. you just need to take it to someone good to sort it and I mean really good, and you will be whole again. we have all had it happen, you will be fine
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #39
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Sorry for you! Were you in full DSC off mode? Wet road?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #40
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
yeah this is what i dont get - i never expected the tail to go out as i hadn't turned the traction off. granted the camber of the roundabout is a bit odd and it was pretty wet but im still so confused by the whole thing.
Even in sport, you can get the tail to move. Off camber situations, a steering flick, or a quick jab on the throttle. You will not be able to get a full on drift as the computer will interfere after that small movement. When it's wet, that intervention might have induced a snap over steer. Given the size of the round about, there really isn't any way to save it at that point.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #41
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
100% repairable. $12-15k sounds right. Take it to the dealer for the suspension and drivetrain components then to the body shop of your choice.
I'm with this guy. I could be way off here but I disagree with all these guys who are saying it's a total loss. My bet, beyond the obvious cosmetic panel damage, is that the rear suspension is tweaked but the diff is fine.

It's not a $20,000 Kia that's going to be written off with $15,000 in damage. It's a $60,000 car. There's some cash to work with to hit that 80% before anyone considers writing it off.

Good luck man! As everyone else is saying, we've all been there too at one point or another. I stuffed my Acura into a snowbank the size of a house after i got a little too confident in the grip my snow tires provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #42
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

My first BMW was a 1979 320 I. They were awful in the rain even with only 110 hp you will get wheel spin taking off. Part of that where the shitty tires that they came with. Being from Wisconsin the first snowfall which was less than an inch the car was undrivable. I ended up Buying a 1977 used Subaru for $3000 as a winter car. They have gotten a lot better over the years but still tricky in the wet. Carl
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #43
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
glad you were not hurt. @ a quick glance looks worse than it probably is, the gap is still good at the top of the door, everything just got pinched. you just need to take it to someone good to sort it and I mean really good, and you will be whole again. we have all had it happen, you will be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I'm with this guy. I could be way off here but I disagree with all these guys who are saying it's a total loss. My bet, beyond the obvious cosmetic panel damage, is that the rear suspension is tweaked but the diff is fine.

It's not a $20,000 Kia that's going to be written off with $15,000 in damage. It's a $60,000 car. There's some cash to work with to hit that 80% before anyone considers writing it off.

Good luck man! As everyone else is saying, we've all been there too at one point or another. I stuffed my Acura into a snowbank the size of a house after i got a little too confident in the grip my snow tires provided.

thanks very much for the responses guys. spoke to a guy in the bodyshop today at the garage - he's said it will be repaired but has not had it up on ramps to check fully but doesn't think there is any structural damage underneath. Main things needing replaced will be front and rear near side suspension, alloys, door, sill and steering rack. said it is very unlikely to be written off or anything like that.

Will know for sure tomorrow all the damage then its just a case of waiting for the insurance company to give it the go ahead basically.

feeling a hell of a lot better that its most likely getting repaired but will find out more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #44
bmwm22018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Sorry for you! Were you in full DSC off mode? Wet road?
Quote:
Even in sport, you can get the tail to move. Off camber situations, a steering flick, or a quick jab on the throttle. You will not be able to get a full on drift as the computer will interfere after that small movement. When it's wet, that intervention might have induced a snap over steer. Given the size of the round about, there really isn't any way to save it at that point.
very wet road, odd camber roundabout. it flicked around pretty damn quickly. I definitely didn't have traction completely off but its possible i pressed the traction button rather than sport mode button when i set off from home ( i have accidentally done this before and realised when the exhaust was crackling away far more than normal so switched it back and thought nothing of it). regardless it was a careless error by me and i only have myself to blame... thankfully no one else involved or hurt. I will be getting myself on a driving course soon and learn from this.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50