BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Do people notice your M2?

02-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #45
kjjc
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Seriously funny, I think M2 is a d**k magnet, no girls ever notice my car, only guys always give the stare. LOL
Appreciate 4
      02-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #46
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Okay, that has to be the best story I've ever read in these forums. What an experience!!! that's just great.... just great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Part of the experience.

My weirdest experience so far was an early morning encounter with cops stopping cars for alcohol and drugs control. I was bringing my wife and daughter to the airport. They stopped me, but almost immediately let me go again.

Cop 1 (motorcycle police): "OK, you can go. By the way, nice car."
Cop 2 (smiling): "Sounds cool too. Can you do a hard pull up for us ?"
Me: "Your wish is my command, Sir. Have a good day."
VROAAAAAR !
200 meter down the road
Cop 3: "STOOOOOP !"
My wife and me: "Uh-Oh..."
Stopped my car in the middle of the road and Cop 3 furiously runs towards me.
Cop 3 (shouting): "What the HELL was that supposed to be? Are you NUTS?"
Me: "Uh, your colleagues down the road over there just asked me to pull up hard. Absolute truth, Sir !"
Cop 3: "No way !"
Radio message through walkie-talkie (calm voice): "Let him go ! He's OK."
Cop 3 (ignoring the message): "You're in trouble, mate. Unacceptable."
Cop 1 quickly approaches by police bike and says to Cop 3: "Knock it off, we asked him to pull up hard. Let him go !"
Cop 3 (seriously pissed off) to me: "I would have given you a ticket. Get out !" and walks away.
Cop 1 winks at me.
VROAAAAAR !
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 2
VR-Tech117.00
Bedista52.00
      02-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #47
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

My car is LBB, I get attention from car people but not many regular folks unless they comment on the color. At Cars and Coffee it gets lots of attention, especially a couple of months ago when it was the first M2 most had seen. I joke to my wife that I am driving every 20 something old guys dream car because young guys in particular seem attracted to it and photograph it quite a bit and C&C.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #48
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

BSM only 2500km in and I have to say that this car has attracted plenty of attention. Mostly head turns and double takes but have watched from a restaurant window a young girl (with her bf) going nuts walking around the car taking pics with her phone. However he seemed very disinterested funny enough.
I also regularly have to wipe away the drool from a hockey teammate who recently purchased a new WRX
Appreciate 2
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #49
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Tech View Post
Originally I wanted the obvious signature Long Beach Blue for the M2, but I only found the Mineral Grey with the black trims and carbon fiber side mirrors DCT option.

Under some light I dare say looks better than the LBB one, but only under some lights. During day light the MG doesn't really make a statement, which can be good and bad.

My old Yas Marina Blue M4 got attention on a consistent basis, mainly due to the rare color.

How much attention your M2 gets?

So far only one person has noticed it, but clearly it was a BMW enthusiast.

My M2

I got a thumbs up from a few dudes. I have noticed that ppl are more aggresive towards me with this car, cutting me off and being pushy in merges.
I noticed the increased aggression as well. Get frequently challenged.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #50
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjc View Post
Seriously funny, I think M2 is a d**k magnet, no girls ever notice my car, only guys always give the stare. LOL
That's weird! I actually get the opposite. I think because mine is AW, but they seem to like aggressive almost more than men. Similar to the new Lexus design path but more functional and restrained.
Appreciate 1
fsabau0.00
      02-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #51
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPurple View Post
In comparisons to my previous car ( E46 M3 ), the M2 gets oodles more attention wherever I go. Which is a shame because I loved my E46, only hardcore enthusiasts would know what they were looking at.

Yes, LBB makes it quite noticeable but the M2's design language also plays a role. I say this because I sometimes see peugeots and citroens in similar 'turqoise' colours that are instantly forgettable.

Here are some encounters I recall since taking ownership:

RS3 Hatchback
On the day of collecting the car I'm on a road that splits into two lanes with the traffic lights on red. Left lane has 3 cars waiting, right side is clear... I go right and pass a nice RS3, then I realise "oh great, here we go". Sure enough the RS3 driver knows what he's looking at and begins blipping the throttle aggressively. With the car being new (and not run in) I ignored him. Then, lights go green and I head off. He turns left and almost crashes into a parked car because he was too busy gawping at the M2 lol.

Young Driver Approves
The next day at the same location, I await at the lights in the right lane and on my left a car pulls in up in my fringe vision. I begin to suspect the driver is trying to get my attention so I look around and I'm not wrong. This guy literally has half his body out of the window waving at me. I wind down the window and he's complimenting the M2, it's the first one he's seen and desperately wanted to hear the exhaust. We left at the lights both smiling - nice chap!

Audi Drivers
In general, I get most 'noticeable' attention from the Audi crowd. There is something about the M2 that just gains their interest, I've witnessed it time and time again. The car is also very popular with younger drivers. I guess with increase in car culture (youtube etc), they know exactly what it is where as they wouldn't seem to show any interest for my E46 M3.

Cold Reception
For the most part all reactions have been positive, the only time I've sensed any negativity or hostility is with some F8x M3/M4 owners.

Nice write up. from owning the M4, the only logic i cane come up with is that, it is BMW's halo car, faster and more luxurious, yet it is the M2 that its called time and time again the actual "spiritual" successor to the M3. I suppose that can be an annoyance when the M4/M3 is quite more expensive.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #52
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
My car is LBB, I get attention from car people but not many regular folks unless they comment on the color. At Cars and Coffee it gets lots of attention, especially a couple of months ago when it was the first M2 most had seen. I joke to my wife that I am driving every 20 something old guys dream car because young guys in particular seem attracted to it and photograph it quite a bit and C&C.
Went to a car meetup month and half ago, and the M2 was pretty much kind of unnoticed. It doesn't help when it was surrounded by a bunch of V8 M3's that where trying to out do a Rev match against Mustang and Camaro owners Lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #53
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
What type car owners, Mustangs?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #54
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
That's weird! I actually get the opposite. I think because mine is AW, but they seem to love how aggressive it is while being small and cute. I'm talking about the car BTW lol.
Wait, the code is broken! Is the Apine white that is the chic magnet! Too late for me then. Ah well, married anyway.
Appreciate 1
KO764.50
      02-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #55
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
That's weird! I actually get the opposite. I think because mine is AW, but they seem to love how aggressive it is while being small and cute. I'm talking about the car BTW lol.
Wait, the code is broken! Is the Apine white that is the chic magnet! Too late for me then. Ah well, married anyway.
Hahaha exactly. I still want MG, that's the color
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #56
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjc View Post
lol only dicks I attract are dick dicks, boy racers wanna race, ricer's wanna rice & haters wanna hate.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #57
AllwaysLow
Objects in mirror are slow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Garage List
MG was my choice to avoid attention from most. Everyone was really pushing LBB last year, but it seems like Mineral Grey is getting a lot more love recently. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #58
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Part of the experience.

My weirdest experience so far was an early morning encounter with cops stopping cars for alcohol and drugs control. I was bringing my wife and daughter to the airport. They stopped me, but almost immediately let me go again.

Cop 1 (motorcycle police): "OK, you can go. By the way, nice car."
Cop 2 (smiling): "Sounds cool too. Can you do a hard pull up for us ?"
Me: "Your wish is my command, Sir. Have a good day."
VROAAAAAR !
200 meter down the road
Cop 3: "STOOOOOP !"
My wife and me: "Uh-Oh..."
Stopped my car in the middle of the road and Cop 3 furiously runs towards me.
Cop 3 (shouting): "What the HELL was that supposed to be? Are you NUTS?"
Me: "Uh, your colleagues down the road over there just asked me to pull up hard. Absolute truth, Sir !"
Cop 3: "No way !"
Radio message through walkie-talkie (calm voice): "Let him go ! He's OK."
Cop 3 (ignoring the message): "You're in trouble, mate. Unacceptable."
Cop 1 quickly approaches by police bike and says to Cop 3: "Knock it off, we asked him to pull up hard. Let him go !"
Cop 3 (seriously pissed off) to me: "I would have given you a ticket. Get out !" and walks away.
Cop 1 winks at me.
VROAAAAAR !
Haha, great story
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #59
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

There is lots of love with Alpine White in "chics-ville"

AW will protect you from the Dick lol
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #60
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Can corroborate the other Southern California owners experiences. No one really notices unless they already know what an M2 is.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #61
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I have a BSM with lots of carbon bits and the blacked out front end. Plus the MPE which I think attracts a lot of notice as it sounds amazing. Quite a few stares and thumbs up etc. was grabbing a burger for lunch with a friend earlier this week and a guy was getting into his GLE63 which is a beautiful SUV and he stopped and walked to the back end of my car to check. I'm assuming he was like 'what kind of fenders bulge like that??' as the m235 is very muted in styling. He probably didn't know about the M2. Now he does and it seemed like he approved.

other than that I wouldn't say it's an overly 'loud' car. Orange or austin metallic M4's or porsche's do a better job at head turning. Or crappy civics with fart cans etc.
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      02-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #62
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What type car owners, Mustangs?
Most recently, a Golf R and a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #63
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
There is lots of love with Alpine White in "chics-ville"

AW will protect you from the Dick lol
Nice, btw, did you sell the M2? The CS doesn't have a release date yet, that I know of
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #64
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
1M's? What's the odds, those are unicorns. Maybe a meetup?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #65
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
1M's? What's the odds, those are unicorns. Maybe a meetup?
Yeah - just happened yesterday. I wanted to waive and talk to the guy but we split in different directions before I had a chance. He followed me for a bit observing then shot around me in traffic. I did not bite. Was pretty cool though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #66
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah - just happened yesterday. I wanted to waive and talk to the guy but we split in different directions before I had a chance. He followed me for a bit observing then shot around me in traffic. I did not bite. Was pretty cool though.
Smart! On my E92 M3 I use to get 435I owners trying to pick on me. Seem they wanted to prove their twin scroll engine is better than the s65. Actually it is on the lower rev range, after 4000k RPMs is another story
Appreciate 1
QM287.00