BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Rear Roundel Replacement?

12-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Rear Roundel Replacement?

Am trying to replace the Roundels, on bonnet and boot. Front yields to credit card and plastic pry tool. At least I can get space to pry it out.

BUT the rear defies all attempts. Can't even get purchase on any side, with a card or thin plastic tool.

Does anyone know if it is glued down, [it appears so like the radio fin?] or is it held with pins as front? Dental floss avails nothing as it has with the M2 badge etc.

Anyone have sure knowledge on this "abominable little beast" LOL? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

The IND instructional video makes it seem "not so difficult" -
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

We just replaced our roundels this week (IND custom painted). It was actually quite simple and the video is exactly how it's removed. Tape the area off, then used a panel tool to remove it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the back side of the rear roundel are a pair of alignment pins and compression anchors. Similar to that of a drywall anchor whereby screws expand the plastic anchor within the hole. A new roundel comes with these compression anchors but we just used what was left behind (difficult and unnecessary to remove). I wish I would have taken a photo to show. Just take your time and work around the roundel pulling forward slightly. It'll pop right off (be prepared).

Hope the helps..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Thank you both for your help. I had known of the pins, and basic procedure, but could not tell if for SOME reason it was glued on with tape. I had a the plastic kit, as per amazon. Got the tape and simply went to work. My dealer parts guy have me a length of black packing plastic {very thin and easy to use to try, as they do it with that }, but that just buckled.

Bottom line: that rear badge was solid. But with some extra force using the tape and a plastic tool as fulcrum, I then used a very thin, but long screwdriver. Got into it better with driver length, and one side started to give the seal up. Then the plastic tool worked around all sides. There was adhesive tape at top inside of badge, which was super strong.
Thanks all...now for cleaning and placing on new ones.
The forum here is great...have a fine weekend all.
Appreciate 0