BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > HELP! M Performance Trunk Lip spoiler didn't stick on the edges

12-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV

HELP! M Performance Trunk Lip spoiler didn't stick on the edges

Last night I removed the stock lip spoiler, removed all adhesive, washed and polished the area to ensure it was perfectly smooth. Applied adhesive promoter. Stuck the wing on. It seemed all good last night, although it was a cold night (50-55 degrees). This AM, I drove to work, parked in the garage and the outer rear edges are ever so slightly separated. You can't really see it, but if I press on it, I can see them move and make sticking noises.

The front edge seems perfectly stuck. It's only the rear ~3 inches on each side that seem ever so slightly separated. Again, not visible unless you press on it.

There were 4 separate pull tabs and tape strips, and it seems that the front tape strip and rear tape strip sealed perfectly. I took those off prior to setting the wing on the trunk then used the pull tabs on the outer strips. These outer strips are the ones that don't seem to have stuck perfectly.

What can I do? I don't think it will affect the function of the wing, nor will it likely peel off, but I am concerned about water/dust/gunk getting under it.

Last edited by Bill in Marin; 12-20-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Use beta link as stated in the instructions
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      12-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep

Not sure what instructions you're referring too, as the spoiler comes with double-sided tape.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I think there's a big thread discussing this already. I think it's hit or miss depending on your trunk. You could try reapplying and add more double sided tape to the ends in spots that didn't already have it. Might help.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep

Cool. I searched and couldn't find anything, but if there is a helpful thread, please shoot me the link.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Marin View Post
Last night I removed the stock lip spoiler, removed all adhesive, washed and polished the area to ensure it was perfectly smooth. Applied adhesive promoter. Stuck the wing on. It seemed all good last night, although it was a cold night (50-55 degrees). This AM, I drove to work, parked in the garage and the outer rear edges are ever so slightly separated. You can't really see it, but if I press on it, I can see them move and make sticking noises.

The front edge seems perfectly stuck. It's only the rear ~3 inches on each side that seem ever so slightly separated. Again, not visible unless you press on it.

There were 4 separate pull tabs and tape strips, and it seems that the front tape strip and rear tape strip sealed perfectly. I took those off prior to setting the wing on the trunk then used the pull tabs on the outer strips. These outer strips are the ones that don't seem to have stuck perfectly.

What can I do? I don't think it will affect the function of the wing, nor will it likely peel off, but I am concerned about water/dust/gunk getting under it.
When you install it leave something heavy on top of the spoiler over night, like a few books
      12-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Heat gun and some weights?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool. I searched and couldn't find anything, but if there is a helpful thread, please shoot me the link.
CF M Performance spoiler - trunk gaps https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1394568

Wasn't as big of a thread as I remember, but nonetheless has people talking about it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep

Thanks. Glad I'm not alone. I may try to seal it on the edges later, but I'm not going to stress about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:

Same here on my M2 and even my 135i E87 had this issue. At 250 kmh they never fell off

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The issue is the 3M tape included isn't thick enough to extend beyond the recessed edges of the spoiler on either end.
Appreciate 0