BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track setup - yeah, I know, another thread

08-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Track setup - yeah, I know, another thread

I’ve been reading everything I can find on this forum for getting my new ‘20 M2C track ready.
Now it’s time for some specific info.

First off, and yes this is a total newbie (to BMW) question, exactly what is the chassis designation? F87? Is the 2020 a newer chassis or do accessories from, say 2017-2019, fit appropriately?

I’ve read a couple of threads regarding what to do first and have been impressed and agree with the positions given. Many responses are biased towards a new to the track HPDE driver. I’m on the other end - have tracked for 10 years, raced and am presently a PCA HPDE Instructor. Please, I’m not tooting my own horn here, I’m wanting to be able to get my car set up to my abilities with a realistic approach. My setup will be different from a novice’s.

Suspension:

I’m not of the throwing a bunch of hp into a stock chassis and expecting to go faster mentally. Gotta get the suspension dialed in so it sticks everywhere and gives me a well balanced (with the pedals) car in, through and exiting corners. Can’t put hp down without a well sorted suspension.

It appears that camber plates are one of the biggest additions - I see that there are three main players and get the feeling it’s pick the one that speaks to you (in my case I’m drawn to the Ground Control units.)

My initial butt sensing says the car is sitting on softer rate springs with more preload. This gives a stiffer ride and bump from ride height but gets squirrelly feeling on extension. Is anyone playing with springs and I would guess struts & dampers? Insight here would be appreciated.

A well sprung and damped car can yield a quality street ride and still rock on the track and will be my ultimate goal.

I won’t just go out and start bolting on parts (other than camber plates) until I get to know the chassis in stock form.

Tires and wheels:
Been an OZ Racing/Hoosier fan but it doesn’t appear Hoosier makes tires that fit. I see three other brands mentioned a lot so it obvious one of them would be the route to go.

Not sure about widths and offsets either. I see staggered setups being praised by some, square being praised by others.
What will yield best turn in?

Padgid pads seem to be the go to - what is the most commonly tracked pad?
Do I need brake cooling improvement? I don’t run on an overly taxing track in general (Arizona Motorsports Park).

Just gathering thought and info.
Thanks in advance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Lotta stuff to cover here. I'll do my best. I'll preface this with I'm not a pro driver by any stretch, but I absorb information like a sponge so I'll likely be parroting what the general consensus is here.

1) track pads are a must if you're driving hard. Pagids are well respected and many of the top people around these parts run them. I don't think you can go wrong there.

2) camber plates are also highly recommended to keep even wear on your tires and to improve handling in the corners. Equally important is going to be a solid track alignment. I went with around - 2.8 camber in the front with zero toe, and 2.2 camber in the rear with a minimal amount of toe. Your likely need to play around with this to figure out what's best.

3) Square vs. Staggered setup is personal preference. I personally like a square setup on the track so I can get more sessions out of my tires by being able to do a proper rotation.

4) as for tires, your a bit limited there, as you cannot fit 18" wheels on the m2c. However, there are some aftermarket brakes you can get with smaller disc's that will allow for 18s. In which case you'll be able to get a set of Hoosiers you like. The 275/35r18 R7's fit my 18 M2 with 15mm spacers on the front and 18x10 apex wheels with 35 offset.

5) there's a ton of decent aftermarket suspension setups out there. I can't really give any recommendations there. It sounds like you way adjustability, so I'd say go with a set of 3 way adjustable coilovers.

This probably isn't as helpful as I originally planned, but hopefully it gives you some ideas!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Excellent info, thank you.

I’ll be sticking with 19” wheels. I don’t want to mess with brakes as that was one of the warranty options I was offered. BMW covers them for a while.

Oh, I’ll switch brake fluid to Motul 600. Forgot to mention that.

I need to go read more about the square versus staggered. If square gives me the balance I’m looking for it would make sense.

I see your in MI - have you played on Road America (turn 5 thru the end of the Carousel is one of my absolute favorite pieces of track) or Mid-Ohio? Both incredible tracks that couldn’t be more different.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 1
RyeM23.00
      08-16-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post
Excellent info, thank you.

I'll be sticking with 19" wheels. I don't want to mess with brakes as that was one of the warranty options I was offered. BMW covers them for a while.

Oh, I'll switch brake fluid to Motul 600. Forgot to mention that.

I need to go read more about the square versus staggered. If square gives me the balance I'm looking for it would make sense.

I see your in MI - have you played on Road America (turn 5 thru the end of the Carousel is one of my absolute favorite pieces of track) or Mid-Ohio? Both incredible tracks that couldn't be more different.
Yup. Brake fluid is a requirement. You'll boil the oem fluid.

Haven't been to those tracks, headed to grattan next month for a bmwcca HPDE though!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tires are probably going to be a challenge on 19" wheels. The front wheel wells are very limited on clearance for a tire OD much bigger than stock. A 255/35r19 (~26” OD) clears fine, but a 265/35r19 (~26.3") will probably rub on the liner. So you have to drop down to a 30 series to get a wider tire in front. There don’t seem to be a ton of options in 30 series track oriented tires.

I’m currently running square 265s on 18" wheels (2018 Non-C) for track, but started on the OE tires, then 255/275 35r19 street tires. I have 12-15 days staggered and 9 or 10 days square.

I much prefer the handling with the square setup, but you have to be very aware of throttle input (timing/qty). The car is on the edge of oversteer from apex to track out or through fast sweepers. On the other hand, the staggered setups were prone to understeer during turn in, so it took more discipline with corner entry than I could muster to not murder front tires. Apparently, staggered is faster, but I can’t validate since I wasn’t running comparable tires.

I’ve wondered a few times if a 10mm stagger would strike a good compromise. Might try it one of these days...

The ground control camber plates have been great for me. I have almost 15k miles and 25 or so track days on them. Still no noises or play.

The Pagids have worked well for me. I can’t complain about 10 or so days from a set.

Other than the camber plates, I’m still on stock suspension. With the move to 200tw tires, I’m definitely noticing the suspension is sprung a bit soft. I’m strongly considering an upgrade to coil overs over the upcoming off season.

Are there many M2s at your PCA track days? It’s not uncommon to see 4-6 or more up here at an Audi Club track day. Maybe you could jump in the right seat for some laps to get a feel for what the handling is like with various wheel/tire/suspension combos. PCA events may not be the best place to find other BMWs if it’s anything like the PCA days here.

Or just get the camber plates, alignment, pads, and fluid sorted and go see how it works out for you. Maybe sacrifice the OEM tires as you get to know the chassis. It really is a fun track car with just these changes.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      08-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #6
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Lots of people have said Pagid but not mentioned specific compounds. I’ve only used RSL-29 and had zero problems but I don’t drive it at 110% and no more than 20mins a session.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Track setup - yeah, I know, another thread

great post by bentom2

I would pretty much advise the same, Pads ( I run Ferodo DS11.1) and I love them, I beat the shit out of them and they seem to never wear and the performance is superb. Another benifit is you can swap to ds2500 when your not tracking for a while and no bedding required.

Camber plates are purely to save your tires, yes they help the handling a bit but I see the porsche guys who don't want to mod there cars going trough tires all the time and not caring.

I would at least go trough the stock tires to learn the car before going with stickier tires. The F87 chassis and stock suspension is able to use Cup2 or other 200tw tires, yes you will lean the suspension but its not too bad.

I have dinan has, personnaly I would skip and go straight to good coilovers, Mperf, Ohlins, TCkline, kw V3 are all good with reasonable prices but there are even better options if you have the budget.

What is fun about the M2 is that its pretty darn enjoyable with just fluid/pads !
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

As other's have said being forced into 19's isn't the best situation to be able to run sticky tires - especially the Hoosiers that you like. Square has its benefits - namely being able to get longer life out of the tires. The downside is the amount of potential grip you are not utilizing in the rear. I personally feel square on this platform is too much of a compromise in times. Coming from the Porsche world with more of the weight pushed to the rear you might find that you prefer that extra tire in your M2C with the S55.

ZM2 I believe runs 19 on the track - might get with him about it. Apex also put out a good thread about 19s - Apex Wheels 19" Fitment Thread . If you find that the stock brakes are not sufficient & move to a BBK (Essex AP Racing ) then you could get down to 18 and have a lot more options. I run 275 front & 295 rear Hoosier R7's - the handling is excellent.

Suspension - I love the Ohlins R&T on my M2. I also love the JRZ 3-ways on my E92 M3. The M2 being a dual duty car I would absolutely choose the Ohlins again if I had to do it over. I prefer the ride vs oem on the street - and the car handles great on the track. They offer different rates of springs as well - I went with their standard recommendation and am happy with them. Highly recommend you look into these if you consider upgrading the suspension. Excellent upgrade for a dual duty car.

Camber plates - keep in mind that the plates will have to match up with the dampers you are running. If you decide to upgrade the dampers need to have the plates to match. If you wait on the suspension for awhile the plates to match the oem dampers would probably still be worth for the tire savings alone - plus the better handling characteristics.

With the M2 (and comp more so) you really have to look at the above like one system. Certainly true with all cars but the M2C seems to have a few more restraints than most. Wheels need to clear the bigger brakes, camber plates fit the dampers, if you add a coilover setup like Ohlins then you have to consider fitment conflicts with the spring perch, limited front tire in front. Just a lot going on there that helps to have straight to help avoid multiple purchases of the same items.

Are you DCT or 6MT? If DCT then I think you will find a DCT cooler to be necessary. Check out do88 - it has been stellar in my track E92 M3 that I could overheat even on street tires. 6MT - would recommend removing the clutch delay valve & upgrading the shifter (CAE in particular).

You might find cooling overall to be an issue. If so would recommend looking at the rest of the do88 line of coolers.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
aparedes299.00
      08-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Talk to Tyler Hardy of Hardy Vehicle Design in Tempe. They have a M2 Comp as a shop car that they will also be setting up for the track (my buddy who is a co owner of the shop is a member at Apex).

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
aparedes299.00
      08-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Lots of people have said Pagid but not mentioned specific compounds. I’ve only used RSL-29 and had zero problems but I don’t drive it at 110% and no more than 20mins a session.
Good point. I’ve been running the RSL-29 as well. They’ve gotten along pretty well with the OE pads, swapping between the two for street and track on the same rotors. I just run the RSL-29 for a couple days after the track weekend and when they get noisy again, I know the deposits are mostly worn away, and I can switch back to the OE pads. I’ve been through 3 sets of RSL-29s doing this. I’ll need to switch rotors over the winter, so might take the opportunity to try the DS1.11 mentioned above, or maybe something else, but I’ve been happy with the life and performance of the RSL29, so the switch is purely to satisfy my curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. Awesome, thank you.

Pads - perfect, I’ll be ordering (or sourcing locally) a set along with the fluid flush (need to get a new pressure bleeder - last one went kapoot). I’m pretty sure I have an unsealed bottle of 600RBF in my pile ‘O track crap.

Brakes will be something to consider on down the line, but I’ll probably just bite the bullet and stick with 19” wheels so I’ll make the best of what’s available.

I’ve read that Apex thread thrice now - loads of info there. Once again, it being mentioned say that I’ve been looking in the right direction at least.

It has a lot of good stuff regarding wheel/tire/camber settings to make things work correctly.

Suspension, regarding switching out components - exactly what I was thinking and wondering. I’ve a post in to the guys at CG asking about what’s required to use with stock and then if it’s adaptable to aftermarket.

As stated by a couple of you, along with me commenting also, I’ll start out with pads and camber plates and play a bit to get to know the car. I’ll do my first couple of events on the PSS that came on the car (thank God they’re not P-Zeros! Hey Audi take a look - REAL tires as OEM equipment.).

Good to know about the cooling. I have the DTC so I’ll look into cooling as mentioned. Fortunately our track season here in the desert is more fall and winter biased so I don’t have to deal with the heat as much as one would think.

I will get in touch with the guys in Tempe - was hoping someone might chime in with a comment like that. I need to contact a couple of my fellow track rat instructors and pick their brains; have one die hard BMW guy that will be a good source, plus he’s a total character and will be TICKLED that I’m in an M car.

Once again, thank you for the input.

LOL on the PCA comment.
I’ve been an Audi club member for years, working my way up to HPDE Instructor over the years. Funny thing is So-Cal Audi chapter (group I’m with now since I left Hell - a.k.a. Ohio) hasn’t had any HPDE instructor training classes in a long time. I ended up having a couple of the higher ups in the Audi club, also PCA associated, call me this past fall and inform me that I was going to Spring Mountain for a PCA instructors training weekend.
So I’m crossed all over the place... Audi member instructing under a Porsche “title” and now driving a BMW. Confused equal opportunity driver.

Fwiw, the AZ chapter of PCA is extremely laid back and open to anyone that wants to play. Heck, they let me run my Radical with them. (Anyone interested in an SR8?) I’ve heard it’s not this way with all chapters, which is a shame if true. There are a couple of BMW drivers that instruct for the local chapter, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Talk to Tyler Hardy of Hardy Vehicle Design in Tempe. They have a M2 Comp as a shop car that they will also be setting up for the track (my buddy who is a co owner of the shop is a member at Apex).
I’m excited about Apex. I was asked to instruct with the Ferrari club in November and am really looking forward to it. Sit shotgun in an F car around a brand new track - how can you not be excited?

And as mentioned above, I’ll be getting in touch with Tyler - any chance of pm’ing me a contact number?
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2562.50
      08-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
This is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. Awesome, thank you.

Pads - perfect, I’ll be ordering (or sourcing locally) a set along with the fluid flush (need to get a new pressure bleeder - last one went kapoot). I’m pretty sure I have an unsealed bottle of 600RBF in my pile ‘O track crap.

Brakes will be something to consider on down the line, but I’ll probably just bite the bullet and stick with 19” wheels so I’ll make the best of what’s available.

I’ve read that Apex thread thrice now - loads of info there. Once again, it being mentioned say that I’ve been looking in the right direction at least.

It has a lot of good stuff regarding wheel/tire/camber settings to make things work correctly.

Suspension, regarding switching out components - exactly what I was thinking and wondering. I’ve a post in to the guys at CG asking about what’s required to use with stock and then if it’s adaptable to aftermarket.

As stated by a couple of you, along with me commenting also, I’ll start out with pads and camber plates and play a bit to get to know the car. I’ll do my first couple of events on the PSS that came on the car (thank God they’re not P-Zeros! Hey Audi take a look - REAL tires as OEM equipment.).

Good to know about the cooling. I have the DTC so I’ll look into cooling as mentioned. Fortunately our track season here in the desert is more fall and winter biased so I don’t have to deal with the heat as much as one would think.

I will get in touch with the guys in Tempe - was hoping someone might chime in with a comment like that. I need to contact a couple of my fellow track rat instructors and pick their brains; have one die hard BMW guy that will be a good source, plus he’s a total character and will be TICKLED that I’m in an M car.

Once again, thank you for the input.

LOL on the PCA comment.
I’ve been an Audi club member for years, working my way up to HPDE Instructor over the years. Funny thing is So-Cal Audi chapter (group I’m with now since I left Hell - a.k.a. Ohio) hasn’t had any HPDE instructor training classes in a long time. I ended up having a couple of the higher ups in the Audi club, also PCA associated, call me this past fall and inform me that I was going to Spring Mountain for a PCA instructors training weekend.
So I’m crossed all over the place... Audi member instructing under a Porsche “title” and now driving a BMW. Confused equal opportunity driver.

Fwiw, the AZ chapter of PCA is extremely laid back and open to anyone that wants to play. Heck, they let me run my Radical with them. (Anyone interested in an SR8?) I’ve heard it’s not this way with all chapters, which is a shame if true. There are a couple of BMW drivers that instruct for the local chapter, too.
Any more info about the instructor training class? I used to instruct locally with NASA and the BMW CCA and would love to get back in the instructing game.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #14
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Piggybacking on your thread, hope you don’t mind.

I’ve noticed that the car seems to start to lift once I get over 100-110 on the straight. Is this worth adding any aero mods for? They’ll obviously help in corners as well, but for classing I can run more tire if I maintain OEM aero
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #15
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL on the PCA comment.

There was no negativity intended in my PCA comment. They just happen to be about 90% Porsche with a mix of other cars, including maybe a few BMWs. So odds of another M2 showing up seems much lower. BMW, Audi, Alfa, and the private groups just attract a more diverse mix of cars in my experience.

I drive with PCA regularly, and they run great track events up here. In addition to their track events, I’ve been on a tour, and to a couple shows/social events. All were well run and the people were friendly. My other half drives a 718 Cayman on track and we just picked up a CPO Cayenne Diesel as a dog/winter/tow vehicle.

I’m pretty sure Ground control should be able to supply the parts needed to go from stock to coilovers at reasonable cost. Might be easier to call them than wait for email. I’m also using some of their stuff on my 2002 and they are known for customizing the coil over configuration for those cars. The spindle is part of the from strut so nothing is really off the shelf. I can’t imagine they’re only helpful on a weird old car that is probably one of their lower volume product lines.

Anyway, sounds like your track season will be ramping up soon. I’m considering a trip to Bottonwillow for an Audi Club SoCal event in November, so maybe I’ll see you there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
There was no negativity intended in my PCA comment. They just happen to be about 90% Porsche with a mix of other cars, including maybe a few BMWs. So odds of another M2 showing up seems much lower. BMW, Audi, Alfa, and the private groups just attract a more diverse mix of cars in my experience.

I drive with PCA regularly, and they run great track events up here. In addition to their track events, I’ve been on a tour, and to a couple shows/social events. All were well run and the people were friendly. My other half drives a 718 Cayman on track and we just picked up a CPO Cayenne Diesel as a dog/winter/tow vehicle.

I’m pretty sure Ground control should be able to supply the parts needed to go from stock to coilovers at reasonable cost. Might be easier to call them than wait for email. I’m also using some of their stuff on my 2002 and they are known for customizing the coil over configuration for those cars. The spindle is part of the from strut so nothing is really off the shelf. I can’t imagine they’re only helpful on a weird old car that is probably one of their lower volume product lines.

Anyway, sounds like your track season will be ramping up soon. I’m considering a trip to Bottonwillow for an Audi Club SoCal event in November, so maybe I’ll see you there.
Cool on the PCA comments.
I’ve heard each brand of driver bag on the others - kinda the old Chevy/Ford/Dodge cross bashing (I’ll never own another Ford...). No offense was taken away. I’m actually impressed with the variety of makes at all the events that happen here in the Phx area.

Agreed on the call GC comment - am just waiting for Monday morning to get here so I can start picking their knowledge base.

I got the ‘Buttonwillow registration is open’ notice at 12:55 yesterday and was signed up for Friday through Sunday by 1:00. See ya there.

Only been there once but what a great, fun track. And they’re running it CCW which I found SO much more fun than CW. They ran both directions last year.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool on the PCA comments.
I’ve heard each brand of driver bag on the others - kinda the old Chevy/Ford/Dodge cross bashing (I’ll never own another Ford...). No offense was taken away. I’m actually impressed with the variety of makes at all the events that happen here in the Phx area.

Agreed on the call GC comment - am just waiting for Monday morning to get here so I can start picking their knowledge base.

I got the ‘Buttonwillow registration is open’ notice at 12:55 yesterday and was signed up for Friday through Sunday by 1:00. See ya there.

Only been there once but what a great, fun track. And they’re running it CCW which I found SO much more fun than CW. They ran both directions last year.
We watched some video of both directions last night. Looks like a fun track. Will be my first time there. I just registered for Saturday/Sunday and booked a hotel, so I guess I’m going. Friday was tempting, but with 2 days on either end for travel, that just seemed like too much time away from work. I did the advanced lapping on Friday (along with Sat/Sun HPDE) with ACGG at Thunderhill in January and that Friday adds a ton of extra track time. I really like the format. Not this time though.

If you see a Guards Red Cayman, Black TTRS, and Black M2 together in the paddock, stop by and say hi.

Can’t wait!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #18
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
We watched some video of both directions last night. Looks like a fun track. Will be my first time there. I just registered for Saturday/Sunday and booked a hotel, so I guess I’m going. Friday was tempting, but with 2 days on either end for travel, that just seemed like too much time away from work. I did the advanced lapping on Friday (along with Sat/Sun HPDE) with ACGG at Thunderhill in January and that Friday adds a ton of extra track time. I really like the format. Not this time though.

If you see a Guards Red Cayman, Black TTRS, and Black M2 together in the paddock, stop by and say hi.

Can’t wait!
Excellent.
You’ll enjoy the place.
More than likely I’ll be in the M but there is a chance I’ll have the Radical there.
I’m easy to find - large grey well used box van with a white enclosed trailer and I’ll be running around the place on my KTM 350.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      08-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
This is exactly the sort of input I was looking for.
I’ve a post in to the guys at CG asking about what’s required to use with stock and then if it’s adaptable to aftermarket.
Oohhh please let us know the answer to that as I am in the same boat. Want the camber but am not yet ready for some better shocks/springs.

As for the DCT cooler, OG was talking about the E92 not out cars. I have not read anything on ours overheating yet. BTW ask for data on cooling performance I heard some big names dont work much better than stock...

EDIT: Radical vs. M2C opinions??? I have a friend with a SR3 and he says I am crazy to track a new car and I think he is crazy to track a junky SR3 thats broke half the time haha
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Oohhh please let us know the answer to that as I am in the same boat. Want the camber but am not yet ready for some better shocks/springs.

As for the DCT cooler, OG was talking about the E92 not out cars. I have not read anything on ours overheating yet. BTW ask for data on cooling performance I heard some big names dont work much better than stock...

EDIT: Radical vs. M2C opinions??? I have a friend with a SR3 and he says I am crazy to track a new car and I think he is crazy to track a junky SR3 thats broke half the time haha
I've tracked 3 different cars before my plates even came in. FRS, S550 mustang and the M2. YOLO
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #21
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
My initial butt sensing says the car is sitting on softer rate springs with more preload. This gives a stiffer ride and bump from ride height but gets squirrelly feeling on extension. Is anyone playing with springs and I would guess struts & dampers? Insight here would be appreciated.

A well sprung and damped car can yield a quality street ride and still rock on the track and will be my ultimate goal.
M2/M2C uses stiffer springs than the M3/4 (including ZCP variants). The rear spring is progressive though, which might by why you think it feels softer.

For the amount of money a good coilover set will cost you, I would go with a Fat Cat Motorsports bespoke tuned suspension. They use Bilstein donor units and custom valve them (as well as having some proprietary tricks of their own to add to them) to get a smooth/quality ride on the street while still being able to control and grip very well on the track. He can recommend spring rates to use for the ride frequencies you want.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Will do. Getting ready to start making some phone calls to see what sorts of options are available.

Quote:
Interesting. I'm COMPLETELY GREEN to this car and aftermarket stuff so I'm open ears.

Quote:
First off, I'm on the break it in like you stole it train. My last performance car ('17 Audi V10+) spent it's first two weekends of ownership at the track.

Can't even begin to compare the Radical to anything that's street oriented. It's a full blown race oriented beast. As I got (get - constant learning process) more comfortable in it, even the fastest street cars are able to be picked off at will on the track. Only two cars I've come up against that were a challenge to stay with. Both are LMS cars - Miller Motorsports' old LMS R8 (Audri) and an LMS Cayman GT4. Friends of mine own them and race the Cayman.

And, that said, the Radicals are STUPID STUPID STUPID expensive to run.
When I purchased it you could still buy engine parts from Radical and I'm more than capable of R&R on the power plant and transmission.
Right after I got my grubby paws on it some higher up (moron) in Radical decided "Nope, the public may not purchase power plant pieces from us. It must be done by a Radical dealer" (Spring Mountain Motorsports in Pahrump). Box it up ship it to them, pay 15K for a rebuild. Uhhhh.... Nope. Crap. And yeah, it's worked on more hours then it's driven. I should just toss a small block aluminum V8 in it and be done.
Appreciate 0