BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > S55 break-in requirements?

03-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #89
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusing240i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Probably being way overly paranoid, and this is my third BMW (second M car); but I've been following the break in procedures, and am at about 600 miles. I've been a bit more liberal and loose with this car and somewhat pushing the revs a bit, driving in sport throttle, and downshifting regularly, varying RPMs and speed. No WOT or passing 5500rpm, but getting more squirrelly under the recommended limits.

Yesterday, while the engine was not fully warm, I was having fun and pressed the rpm up to 4700-4800rpm at about 3/4th throttle.

Wondering if this totally fine and I'm just being crazy....
You aren't going to break anything. But you shouldn't make a habit out of it, and avoid if possible.

I was driving in the rain yesterday, and I had to accelerate to get out into traffic, car lost it and RPMs went over 5.5k. Shit happens.
So I'm one of those idiots who neglected to read the manual and after 200+ miles of driving how I feel the car should be broken in, I have done a few 3rd (mt) wot for a split second pulls up to around 5-6k rpm and about 100-110 mph pulls. I'm now looking into "how to properly break-in" my CS. It doesn't seem like I've punished her to bad yet. So I'll baby it a bit more for the next 1000miles and hope for the best when I go to take it in for required maintenance. But I'll tell you, compared to my stage 2 m240i, the car doesn't seem much quicker right now, but I haven't compared apples to apples yet. I'll provide an update once I'm able to properly open her up. Still the best car I've driven and it feels wonderful.
that's a great thing about turbo cars that have mod support... easy to make great power. But even with less power I would wager the cs is a far better driving experience. add an off the shelf tune and you'll easily out pull an m240.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #90
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
that's a great thing about turbo cars that have mod support... easy to make great power. But even with less power I would wager the cs is a far better driving experience. add an off the shelf tune and you'll easily out pull an m240.
That's true that a tuned CS will pull a M240i all over town. The problem though is that currently the M2CS can't be flash tuned in the foreseeable future. It can be piggy back tuned but I don't think that is the best way to go for a smooth tune solution. The good thing is that the CS tune is already a well balanced tune for the stock M2 chassis.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      03-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #91
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Just wanted to add my bit for break-in check-in. Multi point inspection, reset maintenance light, parking brake check, run-in service (oil and filter change, SAF-XJ differential fluid change, drain plug replacement), checked tire pressure because mine were all high (~42 psi cold).

I never had any WOT moments prior but I did ease into a brisk acceleration up to 5k rpm a several times. Varied engine speeds from daily driving, approximately half highway and local roads for the first 1200 miles. Still haven't taken it to redline yet.

Car didn't feel any different post break-in, performance-wise. A little squirrely above 130mph though. I'm told.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1