BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

01-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #771
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That's an excellent point.

It's not exactly an iPhone or PlayStation, so right eyes are not focus on it, unfortunately.

https://www.cultofmac.com/164137/mee...-the-sony-ps3/

I guess we just have wait until someone with the right skill set, in the appropriate field and motivated by profit gain, cracks it open.
There's probably some guns for hire on 4chan or reddit but someone would have to pony up...
In my experience, Reddit is just infested useless internet trolls..

I was thinking more Russian hacker..

Those guys have skills for the all the wrong/right reasons.. Just need the right about of rubles.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #772
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Did you run a Test Plan to see what's the requirement to clear the data manipulation code?

I heard that fault codes like these or anything related to milage tampering gets permanently etched into the vehicle's EEPROM but I'm curious to what's ISTA's official solution to such an issue.
The ISTA process says to "reprogram the DME".

BM3 re-sent me the MAP, I downloaded it again and saved it, then did a flash from saved download (as they reccomended) then it worked.

Fault codes cleared in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #773
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Did you run a Test Plan to see what's the requirement to clear the data manipulation code?

I heard that fault codes like these or anything related to milage tampering gets permanently etched into the vehicle's EEPROM but I'm curious to what's ISTA's official solution to such an issue.
The ISTA process says to "reprogram the DME".

BM3 re-sent me the MAP, I downloaded it again and saved it, then did a flash from saved download (as they reccomended) then it worked.

Fault codes cleared in ISTA.
Sweet! It probably was a buggy software, glad to hear it worked out for you.

ISTA is such a useful tool, it helped me more times than I can count, when the dealers was less than receptive to my issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #774
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The Carly app can also do a comprehensive diagnostics on your car. It shows memory error codes and not just fault codes. Flashing with BM3 back to stock and relocking erases the DME invalid software memory faults as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:52 AM   #775
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The Carly app can also do a comprehensive diagnostics on your car. It shows memory error codes and not just fault codes. Flashing with BM3 back to stock and relocking erases the DME invalid software memory faults as well.
The Carly app is nothing like ISTA i'm afraid, it may be convenient, but I wouldn't rely on it at all. ISTA is what BMW use in the workshops, so it makes sense to use the same tool yourself, what you see - they see.

ISTA can also carry out module tests and adjustments and it also has all the fault finding guides and drawings / FUB (functional descriptions) / circuit diagrams etc for the entire vehicle.

The DME tuner detect code was still current in ISTA even after a full reflash to stock and lock, that was the whole issue.

BM3 diagnostics didn't show it, neither did my other OBD fault reader.. So I would have looked a right plonker at BMW if I'd taken the car in with the tuner detect fault showing thinking I must be OK because i've gone back to stock and relocked....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #776
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

When I have some extra time I'll install ISTA and make a fault code comparison between the two. The reason that I mentioned Carly is that it was able to check many more errors than any other apps that I've tried.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #777
doughboy
Major General
Rep

It's all about money and licencing to workshops.

Standard SAE OBD trouble codes are free for all, they begin with P, C, B or U. These include a number of manufacturer allocated codes, but these are pretty basic and limited.

See here https://www.outilsobdfacile.com/data...-code-obd2.php

But each manufacturer has their own "hidden" proprietary codes which are the full detailed set of codes and there are literally thousands on our cars, but only readable via software licenced to read them, i.e. paid for usually,

See if your Carly app codes begin with P, C, B or U? If so its a generic reader.

If they are Hexadecimal codes then they are BMW's own codes.

ISTA reads the full suite of BMW codes, as you expect as it's a BMW system.

Again other workshop diagnostic systems are licenced for this, but they have to pay $$$ for workshop licences if they want full diagnostic capability per-manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #778
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

As per my PM, Carly provides Hex codes too.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #779
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I can't reply to your PM, it says your inbox is full!

From your PM they seem to be different Hex codes to the plain 6 digit hex codes on ISTA though?

My ISTA code was:

"201101 - DME: Protection against tampering: Program or data manipulation detected"

I'll do some digging....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #780
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I can't reply to your PM, it says your inbox is full!

From your PM they seem to be different Hex codes to the plain 6 digit hex codes on ISTA though?

My ISTA code was:

"201101 - DME: Protection against tampering: Program or data manipulation detected"

I'll do some digging....
Exactly nthat was the error code, which i suffered from when i flashed my M2C DME with bm3. I can managed to get rid of this error code with proper sequence of the bm3 flash (dont ask it, why it does not worked the way it should be worked). I also read my DME once i flashed back to OEM with bm3 and with diagnosing with ISTA/D it does not show any of this error code.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #781
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Quote:
That's an excellent point.

It's not exactly an iPhone or PlayStation, so right eyes are not focus on it, unfortunately.

https://www.cultofmac.com/164137/mee...-the-sony-ps3/

I guess we just have wait until someone with the right skill set, in the appropriate field and motivated by profit gain, cracks it open.
There's probably some guns for hire on 4chan or reddit but someone would have to pony up...
In my experience, Reddit is just infested useless internet trolls..

I was thinking more Russian hacker..

Those guys have skills for the all the wrong/right reasons.. Just need the right about of rubles.
Defcon runs a whole car hacking space.

https://www.carhackingvillage.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #782
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3 0.10.084 release is now out! Updates include the following:

- New vehicle support

- (Map Config) Bosch 4bar TMAP sensor support on all MEVD DME cars (N20, N55, S55, S63tu, N63tu).

- (Map Config) Dorch Engineering HPFP support for 1st gen B58 (B58-F and B58-G, non-T0)

- X3M "Stage 1" OTS maps available in open beta under "OTS Maps". S58 with the 4400lb X3M is showing incredible gains so far including 10.8sec 1/4mile with no mods and just E30 octane, 11.0 on just 93 octane!

- Various dashboard and logging enhancements and fixes
Boost Target math channel added for logging target above ~22psi (2.5bar absolute). This has been available by adding Boost target and deviation channels since the beginning but now its just easier. RAM variable logging tested and coming very soon with additional channels

- Agent startup time further reduced

- "Special Agent" no longer a thing for those with bench unlock DMEs. As of this release you'd simply use the standard release and not touch the unlock/relock.

- Work in progress still on the March 2019 S55 update, no updates on it as of yet.

Web and OBD Agent are out, apps to follow as usual.

Appreciate 2
      01-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #783
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
bootmod3 0.10.084 release is now out! Updates include the following:

- New vehicle support

- (Map Config) Bosch 4bar TMAP sensor support on all MEVD DME cars (N20, N55, S55, S63tu, N63tu).

- (Map Config) Dorch Engineering HPFP support for 1st gen B58 (B58-F and B58-G, non-T0)

- X3M "Stage 1" OTS maps available in open beta under "OTS Maps". S58 with the 4400lb X3M is showing incredible gains so far including 10.8sec 1/4mile with no mods and just E30 octane, 11.0 on just 93 octane!

- Various dashboard and logging enhancements and fixes
Boost Target math channel added for logging target above ~22psi (2.5bar absolute). This has been available by adding Boost target and deviation channels since the beginning but now its just easier. RAM variable logging tested and coming very soon with additional channels

- Agent startup time further reduced

- "Special Agent" no longer a thing for those with bench unlock DMEs. As of this release you'd simply use the standard release and not touch the unlock/relock.

- Work in progress still on the March 2019 S55 update, no updates on it as of yet.

Web and OBD Agent are out, apps to follow as usual.

proTUNING Freaks
Thanks for the update on the locked DME. It would be nice if we got updates every now and then like this, even if the update is 'no update'.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #784
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post

Only info I come for on this thread

Thanks for the update though, expect at least one order when it's resolved
Appreciate 1
BFLY78.50
      01-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #785
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Only info I come for on this thread

Thanks for the update though, expect at least one order when it's resolved
same!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #786
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

2020's... Well here's hoping for spring time when it's nice and warm out.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #787
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Going to be taking my '19 M2C which is Stage 1 tuned with BM3 in for it's first oil change after break in service. Do I have to re-flash it to stock? Will they update it or even care that it's tuned?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #788
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
Going to be taking my '19 M2C which is Stage 1 tuned with BM3 in for it's first oil change after break in service. Do I have to re-flash it to stock? Will they update it or even care that it's tuned?
If I were you, I'd flash back to stock and relock. Then I would reset all the error codes. The Carly app can do it. I guess the BMW diagnostic app should do it too. This way you go in with a clean slate.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #789
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
My buddy took his BM3 stage 1 for the annual bmw oil change two weeks ago. He didn’t flash back to stock. I would not think it’s necessary to change back to stock unless you have a warranty claim.

He made it clear to the SA not to perform any DME updates. Everything was good during vehicle pickup.

Last edited by chmura; 01-29-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #790
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
My buddy took his BM3 stage 1 for the annual bmw oil change two weeks ago. He didn’t flash back to stock. I would not think it’s necessary to change back to stock unless you have a warrant claim.

He made it clear to the SA not to perform any DME updates. Everything was good during vehicle pickup.
I doubt if it's really necessary when just going in for an oil change. However it only takes 2 minutes to flash back to stock and re-lock. The whole process of flashing stock and clearing all hidden fault codes is less than 10 minutes. Going back to your exact tune setup is easy as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #791
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Looks like AA have figured out the latest DME encryption and can flash over OBD. Hope BM3 is close, otherwise AA may be the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Yes we can flash that software update. We came across that update with all 2019 cars awhile back and had a fix for it a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #792
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Looks like AA have figured out the latest DME encryption and can flash over OBD. Hope BM3 is close, otherwise AA may be the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Yes we can flash that software update. We came across that update with all 2019 cars awhile back and had a fix for it a few weeks later.
And apparently months ago? Umm, why didn't they make an announcement? That would have broken the forum boards if true? I'm skeptical because when I asked about the F80/82/87 on that thread he came back with yeah for S58 on the X3M and I was like what? I'm a bit skeptical now.

Active Autowerke | M340I Tuned & Catted Downpipe Dyno https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690219
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0