BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Perf Coilover Front Compression Wheel Fell Off?

10-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

M Perf Coilover Front Compression Wheel Fell Off?

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation? I recently went to adjust my suspension settings, and was shocked to find both front compression adjustment wheels were straight up missing. These are the adjustment wheels that are at the bottom of the front struts. I figured they would be held more securely in place, but seems like it was just adhesive? (I did some some spirited driving recently ).

I did some searching online and haven't really ever heard of this happening. I couldn't even find a part number. I'll be seeing my dealership in a few weeks for my regular service so I'll bring it up then since they installed it and it should be covered, but it's kind of annoying in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Haven't heard of that. Your dealership should cover it.

Hell, I went in for a tech inspection and mentioned an annoying exhaust rattle on my MPE. The MPE was purchased from a 3rd party and installed in someone's garage.

They said the muffler itself had something rattling inside and ordered a replacement for me, installed free of charge.

As long as you have a decent dealership I do not see a problem with them fixing it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Haven't heard of that. Your dealership should cover it.

Hell, I went in for a tech inspection and mentioned an annoying exhaust rattle on my MPE. The MPE was purchased from a 3rd party and installed in someone's garage.

They said the muffler itself had something rattling inside and ordered a replacement for me, installed free of charge.

As long as you have a decent dealership I do not see a problem with them fixing it for you.
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! Yeah, I'm sure they will fix it since they were the ones installing it. This was just super odd!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Mine were seized after a winter of road salt. Noting that I used a spanner to un-seize them (along with some Teflon lube), mine appear to be firmly attached to the adjuster mechanism.

How much of the adjuster is left in place on yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 12:56 AM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Mine were seized after a winter of road salt. Noting that I used a spanner to un-seize them (along with some Teflon lube), mine appear to be firmly attached to the adjuster mechanism.

I just see the metal shaft that the compression adjustment wheel was attached to.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

I spray release agent/water repellent and mobilise comp adjusters on front struts every 6-8weeks to ensure the adjustment shaft doesn't sieze
      10-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

A quick update:

The car is at the dealership, and they said they're looking at it. My service advisor said the techs are saying that the adjustment wheel should actually be in the coilover adjustment kit, NOT attached to the bottom. This is odd because when the coilovers arrived, and when they were installed, the front compression wheels were definitely attached, and I don't think I could have removed them if I tried.

Can anyone with M Perf or KW V2/3 (forget which ones are equivalent) verify that the compression wheels for the front shocks are permanently attached?

They said they are looking for the part (compression adjustment wheel) but aren't having much luck.

EDIT:

Looking at several pictures (i.e. https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...nsion-Kit.html), it does looks like the compression adjustment wheels come mounted onto the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

There is an adjuster 'wheel' (an Allen Key with a fancy handle) that comes in the case, but that's for the top of the front shocks, not the bottom.

So, your dealership is 'improvising'...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is an adjuster 'wheel' (an Allen Key with a fancy handle) that comes in the case, but that's for the top of the front shocks, not the bottom.

For sure haha, they're definitely known to do that. As long as they can find replacement compression adjustment wheels I'm happy. It's actually sort of interesting how hard it is to find this part - I could not find mention of it online at all (although I won't claim to be savvy about finding BMW parts).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

That's the front Rebound adjuster
      11-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Yes, that was my understanding too.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this situation? I recently went to adjust my suspension settings, and was shocked to find both front compression adjustment wheels were straight up missing. These are the adjustment wheels that are at the bottom of the front struts. I figured they would be held more securely in place, but seems like it was just adhesive? (I did some some spirited driving recently ).

I did some searching online and haven't really ever heard of this happening. I couldn't even find a part number. I'll be seeing my dealership in a few weeks for my regular service so I'll bring it up then since they installed it and it should be covered, but it's kind of annoying in the meantime.
Ditto...earlier this year I put the car on the lift and noticed one of the adjustment wheels missing. In an abundance of caution I removed the other and put it in my kit. I do believe the wheels are meant to stay on when installed....otherwise the kit would have a space carved out for them....it does not. Good luck finding the part....I couldn't
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Ditto...earlier this year I put the car on the lift and noticed one of the adjustment wheels missing. In an abundance of caution I removed the other and put it in my kit. I do believe the wheels are meant to stay on when installed....otherwise the kit would have a space carved out for them....it does not. Good luck finding the part....I couldn't
I see, smart thinking!

Unfortunately for me they both fell off at the same time

I will call my dealership to see if they have found the part yet, although I'm not too hopeful at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #14
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to update this thread:

Roughly 1 month after I started talking to my SA, he said they could not find the replacement knobs, and would replace both my front shocks. I provide my receipt of purchase for the coilovers and he tells me it's on it's way from Germany.

Nearly 3 months later (after multiple attempts to get in contact with my SA - I think he's avoiding me now), I finally get a call with him, only to hear they have NOT ordered the parts yet. This time they need the actual invoice - so I call the business I bought it from and get that and emailed it to him. Still waiting for a response on that.

Due to my frustration, I called up KW and asked if they had the part number. KW doesn't list this particular part for sale on their site, but if you call them, they will give you the part number (#68525011) and you can order it directly, so they were extremely helpful and I appreciate that. However, the color scheme is off (the wheel is purple) vs. black on the M Perf Coilovers, so I would rather have BMW source it (how is it this difficult???).

Anyways, we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

They might be a little difficult to see when fitted...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:27 AM   #16
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They might be a little difficult to see when fitted...
True, it's more of "the principle" sort of thing. And potentially resale value. And those adjustment wheels are surprisingly expensive for little pieces of metal (I think it was ~$30 each).

Anyhow, I paid extra to get the coilovers installed at the dealership (to satisfy the conditions of the warranty). Otherwise, I would have bought those damned wheels already lol.
Appreciate 0