BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Brake Pad Change Interval 140,000 mi?

01-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Brake Pad Change Interval 140,000 mi?

My car is telling me for the past while that my front pads have 140,000 more miles left in them and the rear pads have 90,000 mi left.

Anyone else have experience with this system and its accuracy?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

About as accurate as the average psychic medium lol.

My brake pad life went down to 14k km (trackdays) and has since gone up to 17k km.

I also swapped in my almost new OEM pads and reset the indidcator, but it did not take that into account.

Having said that there are wear checkers on the Front Left and Rear Right brake pads that will turn a light on in the dash when the pads need changing.

Or just poke your nose inside the wheel and check the material thickness. Hard to do with 788M wheels though...
      01-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The pad wear sensors only indicate once the pads are worn down to a certain thickness (because it means the pad sensor actually also becomes physically into contact with the brake rotor/disc), at this point the system will give you an estimate until the pads will wear out entirely. I don't know exactly how the system will estimate wear until that sensor first starts reading, or whether it actually uses the number of km/miles between the sensor being reset (and physically replaced) and first contact to then extrapolate the remaining life or if it uses a fix km/mile range for telling you when the pads need replacing.

I personally would not place much faith in the miles/km reading that the iDrive tells you for remaining pad thickness, only once it starts actually warning you that front and/or rear pads need replacing would I then be concerned about really checking how much life is left and booking an appointment to replace soon. Having said that, I track my car and so my pad wear sensors are never actually in the pads so they won't trigger for me but I am physically checking pad thickness before and after every event and before the season starts so I don't rely on the sensors.
Appreciate 1