BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > F22 1/2 Alcantara seats in M2

11-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
KevM3UK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

F22 1/2 Alcantara seats in M2

New seats now! I've allways hated the cheap (Plastic)leather that the M2 comes from the factory with, It looks really cheap and boring , its exactly the same as my 220i but with blue stitching, comfort wise they're fine and also mine being manual adjustment it got me thinking!
I've allways loved the 1/2 cloth 1/2 Alcantara sport seats the lesser 2 series have, (they eluded me when purchasing my 220i) the alcantara would match the alcantara door cards lovely I thought, and along with the cloth centres its like E30 & E36 M3s used to have, so a trawl through Ebay unearthed these beauties ,alcantara and cloth with blue stitching ,M tricolour flash and electrically adjustable side bolsters , They've only done 11k and from a non smoker car but a 4 hour drive to a BMW breakers in Rotherham to collect them, still its all in a days work! best was I had the lot inc doorcards for £240! they were a bit dusty from being in storage so yesterday I set about cleaning them

I used a steam cleaner and some all purpose upholstery cleaner

Cleaned up the doorcards too although im not using those

stripping out the seats then trialled the passenger seat ,im pleased to say it all worked

Rears fitted

Fronts in

Overall I'm really pleased with the outcome , I think they really suit the car ,lots of nice alcantara now , only gripes are I've lost my heated seats! no great shakes as you dont really need them with cloth and also the blue stiching is more like estoril than long beach blue as on the original door cards etc, but you'd have to look really hard to notice, I did'nt upon purchase as I thought they were all the same colour blue, still nevermind they're in now and staying, might find another set for our 220i !
Appreciate 4
gnx751.50
x233284.00
hans6912.50
      12-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Damn, looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Looks more stock than the original seats
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
LimitedSlip
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Looks great man, and well done on the swap. I'm doing the same and adding those exact seats in my 240. Curious if you got any errors, or had to do any coding after you installed the front sets? Did you swap any components out of your old seats? Or was it straighforward plug and play with the new ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #5
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
Looks great man, and well done on the swap. I'm doing the same and adding those exact seats in my 240. Curious if you got any errors, or had to do any coding after you installed the front sets? Did you swap any components out of your old seats? Or was it straighforward plug and play with the new ones?
I did this swap > https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=6054

Everything bolts right up without issues. You just need to worry about the electronics. If you swap everything over no need to code (while I don't know specifics with coding, I know you can code out the passenger occupancy sensor out if you do not want to do the upholstery swap of the bottom passenger seat cushion)

The wiring harness was slightly different, the buttons for whatever reason were different (i found this out when the seat buttons were reversed -- forward was back and up was down so I swapped the buttons module).

You need to definitely re-use the seat computer modules. If the seats already have airbags then you're good, otherwise you need to swap that over. If the Seatbelt buckle has NOT been discharged due to accident, then you can re-use, otherwise you'll need to transfer that over as well.

Lastly, the occupancy sensor mat differs from region. I had to swap my Euro Occupancy sensor as I got an AirBag light (I cleared it with the iOS BimmerLink app) (INFO in my thread link above). The best way is to remove the leather and cloth skin, and transfer it from one cushion to the other. Do not remove the occupancy sensor mat as I did; it's glued to the foam and hard to remove.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Wow stunning. Nice work man!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
LimitedSlip
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Thank you for the information and pointing to your other post. I agree the best way seems to be to remove the skin from one seat to the other. I already have all the electronic modules and airbags in the existing seats, all I need is the skins. Will I still need to worry about the ocupancy sensort if I just do a swap?

Curious, how difficult this was - I read that it's stapled to the foam? Any chance of damaging the alcantara/cloth? Dont know if I need to get a professional to do that or something releavtily simple I can do myself.

Really like your final results, do you have any more pictures on swapping the skins you can share?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Why not just swap the grey underseat modules from your existing seats to the new seats? Then you don't have to code anything, or swap anything else... HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 08-10-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #9
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Why not just swap the grey underseat modules from your existing seats to the new seats? Then you don't have to code anything, or swap anything else... HTH
I did that the first time, i got an air bag lights due to the difference in occupancy sensor mat, the motion seat buttons were all reversed (eg. pushing forward button resulted in the seat going backwards, etc) and the lumbar support did not work.

If you live in Europe and swapping out with these seats, then yes that's all you need to do is swap the grey module and that's it.

But if you live in North America, since these seats were never offered here, it won't have the same hardware since the seats are from a different region; the wiring harness and occupancy sensor mat are totally different. Therefor the buttons will not work properly, you will get an airbag light due to the different occupancy sensor, and possibly other functions may not work or work properly.

Quote:
Thank you for the information and pointing to your other post. I agree the best way seems to be to remove the skin from one seat to the other. I already have all the electronic modules and airbags in the existing seats, all I need is the skins. Will I still need to worry about the ocupancy sensort if I just do a swap?

Curious, how difficult this was - I read that it's stapled to the foam? Any chance of damaging the alcantara/cloth? Dont know if I need to get a professional to do that or something releavtily simple I can do myself.

Really like your final results, do you have any more pictures on swapping the skins you can share?
Looks like you are in Canada. I think Canada and US BMWs have the same occupancy sensor mat but I am not 100% sure. Look under both the Cloth and Leather passenger seats. In the Yellow harness where it connects into your cars harness, you should should see 4 colored harness (White, Blue, Grey, and Black). The black one is the occupancy sensor mat. Look at the silver pins inside the Black harness. In the US at least it has 3 pins (in Europe it'll only have 2 pins). If your leather seat and the cloth seat both have the same number of pins, then you don't need to worry about doing the upholstery swap. But, if your seat has 3 silver pins (like the image attached) and the cloth only has two you must do the swap [OR you can code the occupancy sensor mat out with ESYS, but I don't know those steps as I have not done it - there was a thread somewhere with instructions]

As for actually swapping out the cushion, it was my first time too and wasn't terrible (very time consuming is all the first time around - but now that i've done it, I can easily do it again without issues). I still have the leather seats still, so I'll make a video using those and send it to you for some tips sometime later today or tomorrow.

Yes an upholstery shop can also do it; if you can take out just the bottom cushion, then the upholstery shop can remove the hog rings and reapply them to the new cushion with the occupancy mat. (you are looking at $100-$200 USD range)

But if you take them the entire seat, then it'll be more $$ for labor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

This looks great!
      09-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
KevM3UK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Sorry only jist seen this, Thanks , 10 months on and I still love em! Luckily on my M2 my oem seats were old fashioned manual adjustment with electric side bolsters, the new seats were manual too so replacement was like for like , just needed to swap the seatbelt receiver over as it was'nt included , so yes im very happy with them , look so much better than the shite leather it came with!
Appreciate 0