BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Need help with VSC2

09-23-2022, 01:13 AM   #1
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Need help with VSC2

My M2 came with M Performance Exhaust and the module in the trunk and the Bluetooth controller to toggle the valves open/closed.

I recently had a Remus exhaust installed on the car. I do not want to control the valves via the unreliable Bluetooth controller - so I purchased a VSC2 and the stock Y cable wiring harness.

Can anyone with non M-Performance exhaust tell me how the stock wiring works? The double end of the Y cable is obviously running to both of the actuators... but where is the single end plugging into to provide it with power and information from the car's computer?

If anyone has knowledge or is able to check where the actuator cable connects to, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 02:07 AM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Are the factory M2s single actuators?

From your Y splitter, I'm thinking the single (female) end just goes to the factory (male) plug. Then the other male ends of that splitter each go to the VSC controller's female plugs. The remaining male ends plug into the actuators.

I might be getting the male/female ends mixed up but the idea is to start with the factory plug and the single end of the splitter into that plug. Then it should be from the splitter to the controller and from the controller to the actuators.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 04:30 AM   #3
levelbm
Banned
Rep
Drives: m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post

From your Y splitter, I'm thinking the single (female) end just goes to the factory (male) plug. Then the other male ends of that splitter each go to the VSC controller's female plugs. The remaining male ends plug into the actuators.

I might be getting the male/female ends mixed up but the idea is to start with the factory plug and the single end of the splitter into that plug. Then it should be from the splitter to the controller and from the controller to the actuators.
How can I get this?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by levelbm View Post
Quote:

How can I get this?
Try Google

09-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I thought factory M2 was double actuator.

Either way, I have the Remus now with 2 actuators. The currently M Performance plugs work fine to operate the actuators, but it's so unreliable.

So I bought a Y cable harness to bypass the MPE module. I just have to figure out where to plug the harness in.

I basically need to know where the stock actuator cable comes from. Where it gets power from.

I'm going to look at it all tomorrow and maybe I can figure it out
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #6
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I'm not familiar with the MPE but I do know that the connectors to power the actuators are under the car. I would recommend simplifying and just removing the MPE controller box altogether since it's not needed. Start at the MPE controller and trace it back to the factory harness. The VSC install takes like 10 minutes, tops. You might not even need your splitter if the factory system has 2 separate plugs, 1 for each actuator. I know on the M2C it's 2, I'm not sure about the OG.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #7
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

whiz OG M2 with factory exhaust has one actuator on the driver's side. If you're able to remove all the MPE wiring, you should be left with a single plug on the driver's side. You plug in the single end of the Y, then run the double end to the actuators on either side of the Remus exhaust.

EDIT: Also FYI, you should be using the VSC-1 rather than 2. I have the exact same exhaust setup on my car with the addition of a Euro 6 downpipe, works very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep

TheHaze Thanks

So you have the Remus too?

I thought Remus would use VSC2 due to having two actuators. Am I mistaken?

CG Precision website says:

VSC-1: For single valve exhaust systems
VSC-2: For dual valve exhaust systems (M2 competition and some aftermarket systems)

I figured the Remus is a dual valve system

and P.s. - I haven't checked out the MPE wiring yet. I was kind of hoping I could just leave the MPE wiring in there and forward it to the VSC2. And I figured as long as the MPE was powered, I could leave it there and just control via the VSC

But that's probably overcomplicating. When I have time I'll trace the wires from the MPE module. If they just plug into the harness, I'll just unplug it and put the Y cable in there
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 05:39 AM   #9
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

whiz Yep, I'm running the Remus with VSC-1. Since the Remus comes with a Y splitter and the OG M2 has one exhaust connector under the car, you only need the VSC-1. If you DIY this, just make sure you run the long end of the splitter behind the heat shield next to the exhaust resonators.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep

TheHaze

Thanks

So should I return the VSC2 and put in another order for VSC1? Or could I be able to MacGyver the VSC2 into this set up?

VSC2 hasn't even arrived yet. So I'd have to wait even longer for the VSC1
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

whiz I'm not sure if you will be able to use the VSC-2, but maybe. You could try reaching out to CG Precision and see what they think. I don't have any experience with the MPE wiring either, but I know if you had a stock setup you would only need the VSC-1.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #12
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz View Post
My M2 came with M Performance Exhaust and the module in the trunk and the Bluetooth controller to toggle the valves open/closed.

I recently had a Remus exhaust installed on the car. I do not want to control the valves via the unreliable Bluetooth controller - so I purchased a VSC2 and the stock Y cable wiring harness.

Can anyone with non M-Performance exhaust tell me how the stock wiring works? The double end of the Y cable is obviously running to both of the actuators... but where is the single end plugging into to provide it with power and information from the car's computer?

If anyone has knowledge or is able to check where the actuator cable connects to, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Is your car the OG N55 or Comp S55?

N55 stock exhaust only have one valve so typically you need the y-splitter to control an aftermarket dual valve exhaust. Actuation of the valves will be by the onboard computer (e.g. going into sport mode). However, you need to watch out for the valve motor parts number. The stock one may look the same as the MPE one, but they have different parts number and can’t be used interchangeably (as far as I have read on other posts). The VSC-2 is not necessary as it is only a controller to bypass the control signals from your onboard computer. (E.g open valves even if under comfort)

The M2 N55 MPE has a completely independent control module and wiring for its dual valves. it is controlled independently from the onboard computer using the Bluetooth controller. In this case you can run the VSC-2 without any splitter. The actuation of the valves can then be controlled with the remote or you homelink garage opener, bypassing the unreliable Bluetooth controller. This is what I have been running, MPE with VSC-2.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #13
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep

ming_lau

Car is OG M2...

Had MPE on it... took off the MPE and put on a Remus.

MPE box thing in trunk is still exactly the same. I only had the physical exhaust swapped - under the car. Actuators are now the Remus ones. Plugged into the old MPE plugs (1 left, 1 right)

The Remus can be controlled through the MPE Bluetooth cylinder button thing... but it's unreliable

So right now, the Remus is attached to the MPE box in the trunk.

Is your bluetooth box still on/functional? Or you took some wires out of the Bluetooth box and just ran them to the VSC2? I still haven't inspected the wiring yet... everything is just sitting on my desk. I have a VSC2 and a Y splitter thingy. Might have to return some of these if I can just copy your solution
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:52 PM   #14
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ming_lau

Car is OG M2...

Had MPE on it... took off the MPE and put on a Remus.

MPE box thing in trunk is still exactly the same. I only had the physical exhaust swapped - under the car. Actuators are now the Remus ones. Plugged into the old MPE plugs (1 left, 1 right)

The Remus can be controlled through the MPE Bluetooth cylinder button thing... but it's unreliable

So right now, the Remus is attached to the MPE box in the trunk.

Is your bluetooth box still on/functional? Or you took some wires out of the Bluetooth box and just ran them to the VSC2? I still haven't inspected the wiring yet... everything is just sitting on my desk. I have a VSC2 and a Y splitter thingy. Might have to return some of these if I can just copy your solution
Okay, it looks like we have same setup except I am still on the MPE muffler and valve actuators.

I believe you only need the VSC2 and does not require the Y splitter since your Remus muffler valve actuators have been responding to the MPE Bluetooth module's control single and power. You can install the VSC2 per instruction. Mount it to your muffler bracket. Have both your MPE Bluetooth module and your muffler valves actuators connected to the VSC2.

Once that is done, you will no longer need your MPE Bluetooth remote. The MPE Bluetooth module is feeding power to the VSC2, and the VSC2 will now be sending signals to the muffler valve actuators.

I hope this clears your questions.

On a side note, I found the MPE muffler drones a lot at highway speed. How is the Remus doing?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:25 AM   #15
whiz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming_lau View Post
Okay, it looks like we have same setup except I am still on the MPE muffler and valve actuators.

I believe you only need the VSC2 and does not require the Y splitter since your Remus muffler valve actuators have been responding to the MPE Bluetooth module's control single and power. You can install the VSC2 per instruction. Mount it to your muffler bracket. Have both your MPE Bluetooth module and your muffler valves actuators connected to the VSC2.

Once that is done, you will no longer need your MPE Bluetooth remote. The MPE Bluetooth module is feeding power to the VSC2, and the VSC2 will now be sending signals to the muffler valve actuators.

I hope this clears your questions.

On a side note, I found the MPE muffler drones a lot at highway speed. How is the Remus doing?
So here's the issue... with my current setup (MPE Bluetooth box -> Remus), the passenger's side valve will not open. I think this is due to some electrical thing I don't understand. For some reason, I think the driver's side only is getting a signal. Maybe this has to do with some Remus wiring. Because MPE wouldn't do this. MPE would open both sides just fine

So I ordered a VSC1 (already have a VSC2 that won't work...) and I'm going to see if I can get that to work...

Remus drones a lot less than the MPE. Pretty much non-existent compared to how MPE was at 60-80 mph

I would say the Remus sounds a bit "thinner" in the sense that the bass/rumble is less than MPE. But the overall sound is more refined I think... a bit more treble/throat but still some good depth to the low end
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 01:25 AM   #16
ming_lau
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So here's the issue... with my current setup (MPE Bluetooth box -> Remus), the passenger's side valve will not open. I think this is due to some electrical thing I don't understand. For some reason, I think the driver's side only is getting a signal. Maybe this has to do with some Remus wiring. Because MPE wouldn't do this. MPE would open both sides just fine

So I ordered a VSC1 (already have a VSC2 that won't work...) and I'm going to see if I can get that to work...

Remus drones a lot less than the MPE. Pretty much non-existent compared to how MPE was at 60-80 mph

I would say the Remus sounds a bit "thinner" in the sense that the bass/rumble is less than MPE. But the overall sound is more refined I think... a bit more treble/throat but still some good depth to the low end
That is very odd. Are you sure you are plugged into the MPE bluetooth module wiring? S

tandard OG M2 exhaust comes with only 1 value and thus only 1 connector that is tied into your drive mode and rpm. When a MPE is added, that whole wiring system is abandoned.

Base on the treads I have seen so far. There is a way to utilize the standard exhaust wiring without the MPE Bluetooth module to control an market setup that has dual exhaust values, like your Ramus. That is done with a y-splitter tethered off the standard exhaust wiring. This way, one does not need to waste money on getting a MPE Bluetooth module and wiring. It seems this is better for your situation if you can find the single connector for the standard exhaust.
Appreciate 0