BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > tire marks after track day

09-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

tire marks after track day

what are yall using to remove them?

I have searched a bunch but its hard to know what won't damage a ceramic coating, a lot of people recommend mothers r3 and luckily I researched it deep enough and found out that it will remove ceramic coatings.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
what are yall using to remove them?

I have searched a bunch but its hard to know what won't damage a ceramic coating, a lot of people recommend mothers r3 and luckily I researched it deep enough and found out that it will remove ceramic coatings.
Yeah, didn't know that, but I suppose I'm not too worried since I've got full PPF so if I need to top off the ceramic again, I suppose I could.

Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      09-19-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I've used Griots Track Spray, and it works great on taking off rubber and it is the only thing I've found that easily removes cone marks off the rear fender PPF.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      09-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Yeah, didn't know that, but I suppose I'm not too worried since I've got full PPF so if I need to top off the ceramic again, I suppose I could.
ahha yeah I saw at least 3 people post that it removed the ceramic but yeah you can just get it done again. I did also read someone say it damaged their paint but it was an outliar, everyone else loved the product just not good for ceramic coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I've used Griots Track Spray, and it works great on taking off rubber and it is the only thing I've found that easily removes cone marks off the rear fender PPF.
this is interesting but is it safe on ceramic coatings? I can't seem to find out. The reviews at least says that it yellowed their ppf (not an issue for me as I don't have ppf) but don't want it to remove the ceramic coating I paid $1000+ for
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

No clue on any specific product that might be affected by it, but I would tend to doubt it would affect it much if you use it properly. I didn't have any yellowing on the PPF I used it on (factory stuff on rear fenders), and it make quick work of taking off autocross coneage that I was having a hell of a time removing from the PPF (i.e. tried various citrus based cleaners, clay bar many times, then compound and polish, still had it there; etc). Track Spray just made quick work of removing it with no perceived issues left behind. I followed it up with a quick polish, IPA wipedown and then Griots ceramic wax.

I've found it does a great job removing stubborn road tar also that gives typical bug and tar removers trouble.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just found something about it, they say

The Track spray will not diminish but will lightly effect the coating with prolonged frequent use.

so that is a bummer
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #7
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just found something about it, they say

The Track spray will not diminish but will lightly effect the coating with prolonged frequent use.

so that is a bummer
Use it in small spots, sparingly, and apply a refresh product perhaps over the area? Shouldn't be a big deal really.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Use it in small spots, sparingly, and apply a refresh product perhaps over the area? Shouldn't be a big deal really.
yeah I could do that, it is probably fine they are just covering their asses.

I do have to say I just tried using goo goone (based on someones suggestion) and removed the tire mark immediately. Now the question is is it also affecting the ceramic coating? I can't find an answer to that. I think probably same as the griots thing, probably will affect it in the long run but used sparingly probably ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
yeah I could do that, it is probably fine they are just covering their asses.

I do have to say I just tried using goo goone (based on someones suggestion) and removed the tire mark immediately. Now the question is is it also affecting the ceramic coating? I can't find an answer to that. I think probably same as the griots thing, probably will affect it in the long run but used sparingly probably ok.
google informed me that they make goo gone auto. i'm gonna have to get some.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #10
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Mothers R3 works really well on PPF and clear coat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Mothers R3 works really well on PPF and clear coat.
He mentioned in his post that it'll remove ceramic coating, although I do have a doubt about that since I've been told by several detail shops that ceramic coating can only wear off or be sanded off. Maybe Detailers Domain can comment with his experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #12
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
He mentioned in his post that it'll remove ceramic coating, although I do have a doubt about that since I've been told by several detail shops that ceramic coating can only wear off or be sanded off. Maybe Detailers Domain can comment with his experience.
Thats what I read on a few forums. And it could also not remove it but make it ineffective? I am not going to find out. But yah any detailers that know I appreciate the knowledge
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Thats what I read on a few forums. And it could also not remove it but make it ineffective? I am not going to find out. But yah any detailers that know I appreciate the knowledge
I've found ceramic coating to be weird, and I've used several different kinds. One would think, by the way it's spoken of and marketed, that it's as hard as nails, but that's not so. I did my 763 set flawlessly, 3 coats, 3 weeks before mounting, the whole bit, and a standard wheel cleaner made them cloudy (not used by me) to the point where they had to be refinished.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
chris7197334.00
      09-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do you think the consumer coatings are worst? I had my car done by pros, its been almost a year now and has been fantastic. The wheels I did myself, also did 3 coatings, took my time and although clearly still working they are not as good as the car, water does not glide of as easily
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #15
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

It's worth remembering that ceramic coating is just an expensive synthetic wax*, that lasts longer. So anything that will mess up wax, will also mess up a ceramic coating.

*with a lot of marketing hype.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #16
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Mothers R3 is good stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #17
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
It's worth remembering that ceramic coating is just an expensive synthetic wax*, that lasts longer. So anything that will mess up wax, will also mess up a ceramic coating.

*with a lot of marketing hype.

I agree, it has a ton of marketing hype but I will be honest, it is fucking worth it. It has made washing but specially drying the car with air so freaking easy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:49 AM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
All ceramic coatings are pretty much polysiloxane polymer coatings with SiO2 particles mixed in. Ceramic is a misnomer / misleading. Anything strong or that can act as a solvent for siloxanes will strip the coating. In many YouTube tests you will see strong alkaline solutions left to dwell easily damages almost every coating. The same with some acids. For example, Koch Chemie FSE is just a detail spray but the butoxyethanol it contains will most likely degrade ceramic coatings. I assume wheel coatings don’t seem all that durable because people continue to spray them with aggressive cleaners instead of just soap and water.

I’m not a detailer, but I don’t think any of the coatings have really great chemical resistance and I would assume anything concentrated is going to do the same, but you don’t have any real options. Clay is probably worse even though they talk up the hardness of the coating. I’m skeptical about the physical strength of the bond also, but on the “pro” coatings it does seem very hard for a while anyway.

Last edited by chris719; 09-24-2022 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      09-24-2022, 02:56 AM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I've found ceramic coating to be weird, and I've used several different kinds. One would think, by the way it's spoken of and marketed, that it's as hard as nails, but that's not so. I did my 763 set flawlessly, 3 coats, 3 weeks before mounting, the whole bit, and a standard wheel cleaner made them cloudy (not used by me) to the point where they had to be refinished.
Yep, the hardness thing is a marketing trick if they use MOHS or pretend it is. They are not using the mineral scale but the ASTM pencil scale… lol.

https://blog.iglcoatings.com/ceramic-coating-hardness/

Honestly not sure what happened but I don’t think that’s the coating itself clouding but a failure of the powder clear from the cleaner. No idea but I’ve never seen a ceramic coating do that and I’ve seen plenty of people spray them with Sonax or Megs aggressive products.

Last edited by chris719; 09-24-2022 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      09-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
All ceramic coatings are pretty much polysiloxane polymer coatings with SiO2 particles mixed in. Ceramic is a misnomer / misleading. Anything strong or that can act as a solvent for siloxanes will strip the coating. In many YouTube tests you will see strong alkaline solutions left to dwell easily damages almost every coating. The same with some acids. For example, Koch Chemie FSE is just a detail spray but the butoxyethanol it contains will most likely degrade ceramic coatings. I assume wheel coatings don’t seem all that durable because people continue to spray them with aggressive cleaners instead of just soap and water.

I’m not a detailer, but I don’t think any of the coatings have really great chemical resistance and I would assume anything concentrated is going to do the same, but you don’t have any real options. Clay is probably worse even though they talk up the hardness of the coating. I’m skeptical about the physical strength of the bond also, but on the “pro” coatings it does seem very hard for a while anyway.
My car was done with pro stuff, after a year it is still almost as good as the day they did it, very hydrophobic. I did my wheels and till you just mentioned it I thought maybe either I did a crappy job or the pro coatings are better. But you have mentioned chemicals and I now think that is probably what happened, I used whatever wheel cleaner and it probably slowly stripped the coating and now its not even very good anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #21
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Had my car done professionally with Gtechniq and following track days use the Gtechniq brand bug remover to address rubber slag marks. Works like a charm and has had no negative effect.

I have the car detailed annually at the same shop where they add a two coats of Gtechniq Exo as a topper and the gloss and hydrophobic properties remain exceptional.

Only thing I wish I had done differently was PPF the front end but live and learn.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      10-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #22
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Had my car done professionally with Gtechniq and following track days use the Gtechniq brand bug remover to address rubber slag marks. Works like a charm and has had no negative effect.

I have the car detailed annually at the same shop where they add a two coats of Gtechniq Exo as a topper and the gloss and hydrophobic properties remain exceptional.

Only thing I wish I had done differently was PPF the front end but live and learn.
same here brother. I kinda hate PPF because I do love a car with a story, paint chips mean you are driving the crap out of the car and thats great. However tracking the car the wear a tear a bit much maybe and PPF would definitely help. I am going to just enjoy the car and in a few years just have the front bumper repainted. I would have only done car front anyways and I have paint chips in other areas too so eventually car will get a refresh anways and re-painting front bumper is not too bad. I may then do PPF but not sure yet.

Also I am going to get what you just mentioned because my coating is the same I am pretty sure. hopefully the product is not a million dollars.
Appreciate 0