BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Pulsing Rough Idles

08-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #45
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Do you run a tank of pump gas between tanks of e mixes? Ethanol is now to gum up injectors over time, to solve this run a tank of pump gas every 2 tanks of ethanol and run some fuel system cleaner before oil changes. Too cylinder lube will completely solve all of this too.
I do not. Think some fuel injection cleaner would take care of it?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #46
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
got it, I appreciate the suggestion. I daily drive my car so I feel like I should be okay. but I'll make sure to use a fuel system cleaner and try full 93 here and there. I'm using flex fuel so that should be no problem
No problem.

Make sure you do an oil change after running fuel system cleaner, so fill up with fuel system cleaner and run through that tank. Then run through a tank or two of fresh gas before changing the oil.
shaneguags1192.50
      08-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It can't hurt anything, so why not give it a try? I would use Chevron techron or the bmw stuff which is supposed to be relabeled techron.

Like with Shane: Make sure you do an oil change after running fuel system cleaner, so fill up with fuel system cleaner and run through that tank. Then run through a tank or two of fresh gas before changing the oil.

Afterwards to prevent this issue make sure you run a tank of fresh gas between a few tanks of ethanol mix. Or run top cylinder lube. I would also invest in a fuel filter, because ethanol is a really good solvent so it'll pick up a bunch of junk and bring it through the fuel system and you don't want that to clog injectors.
shaneguags1192.50
      08-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #48
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It can't hurt anything, so why not give it a try? I would use Chevron techron or the bmw stuff which is supposed to be relabeled techron.

Like with Shane: Make sure you do an oil change after running fuel system cleaner, so fill up with fuel system cleaner and run through that tank. Then run through a tank or two of fresh gas before changing the oil.

Afterwards to prevent this issue make sure you run a tank of fresh gas between a few tanks of ethanol mix. Or run top cylinder lube. I would also invest in a fuel filter, because ethanol is a really good solvent so it'll pick up a bunch of junk and bring it through the fuel system and you don't want that to clog injectors.
what do you mean by fuel filter ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 10:52 PM   #49
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
An inline fuel filter that sits between the LPFP and HPFP. Bend calibration sells a really nice kit - the best kit I have ever seen on the platform (best filter and nicest mounting solution):
https://www.bendcalibration.com/shop...e-custom-lines
https://www.bendcalibration.com/shop...ilter-only-kit

For me I would probably go with my own lines so I would buy the filter byitself.

This is detroitm2's install video if you want to learn more.
shaneguags1192.50
ZM22810.50
      08-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #50
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
An inline fuel filter that sits between the LPFP and HPFP. Bend calibration sells a really nice kit - the best kit I have ever seen on the platform (best filter and nicest mounting solution):
https://www.bendcalibration.com/shop...e-custom-lines
https://www.bendcalibration.com/shop...ilter-only-kit

For me I would probably go with my own lines so I would buy the filter byitself.

This is detroitm2's install video if you want to learn more.
damn that price though ! I never knew this existed till now. is that something I even need ? like what benefits would it give me ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:22 PM   #51
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
damn that price though ! I never knew this existed till now. is that something I even need ? like what benefits would it give me ?
I would say this is absolutely a requirement if you use ethanol blends, because ethanol is a solvent and that means it'll lose up and bring alot of debris through your fuel system. This filter will prevent your hpfp and injectors from potential clogs. That's the benefit you'll get, and again this imo is an absolute must.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:25 PM   #52
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
I would say this is absolutely a requirement if you use ethanol blends, because ethanol is a solvent and that means it'll lose up and bring alot of debris through your fuel system. This filter will prevent your hpfp and injectors from potential clogs. That's the benefit you'll get, and again this imo is an absolute must.
I never really seen anyone run it so not sure if that's true and I never heard of anyone having issues with debris in their fueling. I'm not too worried and think it would be a waste. also, I have a Dorch stage 2 HPFP when I was on 93, not sure if that help.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 07:04 PM   #53
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I never really seen anyone run it so not sure if that's true and I never heard of anyone having issues with debris in their fueling. I'm not too worried and think it would be a waste. also, I have a Dorch stage 2 HPFP when I was on 93, not sure if that help.
You never really see people run them before because the bmw platforms don't have alot of support for the little things like fuel filters. So no one ran them because they were non existent. If you look at any other more well known platform that has flex fuel capabilities you'll see fuel filters are one of the most critical aspects, because all it takes is for a few specks of dirt to clog the tiny injectors. You also don't see these being common on BMWs because not many people here care about supporting mods, everyone only cares about the cheapest route to make the most power.

You don't see many people having issues because it's always misdiagnosed or not reported. Look at the m5 community, you'll see those eu6 injectors are stuck frequently when the cars are on e85, why is this the case? Because debris. People also don't like to report issues, either because they either try to claim warranty or don't like to share unfortunate circumstances (which is absolutely understandable).

Overall my opinion is this is a critical supporting mod that should be run even on pump gas, my tuning philosophy has always been to do every possible supporting mod and maintenance to mitigate issues as much as possible. This is to minimize my chance of ever running into an unfortunate issue like having an injector clog or stick open damaging the engine.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      08-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #54
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
You never really see people run them before because the bmw platforms don't have alot of support for the little things like fuel filters. So no one ran them because they were non existent. If you look at any other more well known platform that has flex fuel capabilities you'll see fuel filters are one of the most critical aspects, because all it takes is for a few specks of dirt to clog the tiny injectors. You also don't see these being common on BMWs because not many people here care about supporting mods, everyone only cares about the cheapest route to make the most power.

You don't see many people having issues because it's always misdiagnosed or not reported. Look at the m5 community, you'll see those eu6 injectors are stuck frequently when the cars are on e85, why is this the case? Because debris. People also don't like to report issues, either because they either try to claim warranty or don't like to share unfortunate circumstances (which is absolutely understandable).

Overall my opinion is this is a critical supporting mod that should be run even on pump gas, my tuning philosophy has always been to do every possible supporting mod and maintenance to mitigate issues as much as possible. This is to minimize my chance of ever running into an unfortunate issue like having an injector clog or stick open damaging the engine.
I'll contact my shop and see what they say. all said in done I'd prob be looking at $1k which would be a lot for me at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #55
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'll contact my shop and see what they say. all said in done I'd prob be looking at $1k which would be a lot for me at the moment.
Yeah I understand, mods aren't cheap. In the mean time what helps is fuel system cleaner before each oil change. On pump gas you're ok without the filter, on e85 you really should get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #56
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
People have no problem spending $1000 on some flashy carbon bits, but tend to ignore things that can actually save you money from costly repairs.

If you plan on running E85, I highly recommend a quality fuel filter. If you plan to just run 93, I'd probably still recommend doing it as "cheap insurance". It's pretty easy to DIY with the bend calibration kit. Someone posted my video above, it took me maybe a couple hours and that was including messing with cameras and a little trial and error since I've never done it, and there wasn't much on the way of videos showing how to do it.

I'd imagine it's less than an hour of work with some basic tools and access to a lift.

Feel free to PM me here or shoot me a message on Instagram if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #57
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
People have no problem spending $1000 on some flashy carbon bits, but tend to ignore things that can actually save you money from costly repairs.

If you plan on running E85, I highly recommend a quality fuel filter. If you plan to just run 93, I'd probably still recommend doing it as "cheap insurance". It's pretty easy to DIY with the bend calibration kit. Someone posted my video above, it took me maybe a couple hours and that was including messing with cameras and a little trial and error since I've never done it, and there wasn't much on the way of videos showing how to do it.

I'd imagine it's less than an hour of work with some basic tools and access to a lift.

It was me, I shared your video. I also concur a fuel filter should be mandatory on e85, and highly recommended with pump gas.
detroitm22428.50
      08-09-2022, 12:13 AM   #58
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post

It was me, I shared your video. I also concur a fuel filter should be mandatory on e85, and highly recommended with pump gas.
okay so I did more research and now I'm genuinely convinced I might need the fuel filter is Bend Calibration the only option ? also, do this work with the Motiv fuel line upgrade ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:26 AM   #59
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
okay so I did more research and now I'm genuinely convinced I might need the fuel filter is Bend Calibration the only option ?
I told you I wasn't joking or lying , ethanol is an extremely good solvent (it takes out sharpie, residue, extremely sticky gunk etc) and anything it does pick up goes right to your injectors. And if you've noticed fuelling stations and gas nozzles aren't exactly spotlessly clean, so there is bound to be unwanted stuff that enters your fuel tank. So not good

Unfortunately there are no alternatives for bend calibrations solution (hence the astronomical price as there are no competitors), but I personally wouldn't want alternatives anyways unless they're using the same filter. Because the filter bend uses in their kit is second to none, it's literally the best on the market with a serviceable filtering medium.

So unless you want to buy a separate filter and make your own bracket and buy your own fittings there is unfortunately no other way. I know project cars are money pits, but this mod is well worth it imo, and will save you down the line.

Also don't forget every few tanks of ethanol run a tank of normal pump gas, or run top cylinder lube if you always want to be on ethanol.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-09-2022, 12:30 AM   #60
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

But this is also why I do all the supporting mods before I even touch a power mod. so when it's time to focus on power there's nothing else I have to do and nothing to get in my way and halt progress.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #61
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
But this is also why I do all the supporting mods before I even touch a power mod. so when it's time to focus on power there's nothing else I have to do and nothing to get in my way and halt progress.
yea true, I just never knew this was a thing until now. we haven't done much driving since installing ethanol. maybe 3 fill ups ? I drove it for 2 days, filled in up to E60 and drop it off at the shop to get redialed in. I'm sure I'm fine for now. the kit will work on Motiv setup tho right ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:19 AM   #62
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
yea true, I just never knew this was a thing until now. we haven't done much driving since installing ethanol. maybe 3 fill ups ? I drove it for 2 days, filled in up to E60 and drop it off at the shop to get redialed in. I'm sure I'm fine for now. the kit will work on Motiv setup tho right ?
Yeah you should be fine, the cars not made of tissue paper it's quite stout in all regards. But better safe than sorry if you want to avoid issues.

Well it depends on what flex fuel sensor you have, where its mounted and what fuel lines. You may have to change your setup a bit. But yes the reflex will be able to use the ethanol sensor that the bend kit uses, but again your fuel line setup is probably gonna have to change. You might also have to use bends ethanol sensor if you want it to be inline nice and clean, otherwise it could be mounted else where (I'm not sure why your setup looks like so it's hard to comment).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:23 AM   #63
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah you should be fine, the cars not made of tissue paper it's quite stout in all regards. But better safe than sorry if you want to avoid issues.

Well it depends on what flex fuel sensor you have, where its mounted and what fuel lines. You may have to change your setup a bit. But yes the reflex will be able to use the ethanol sensor that the bend kit uses, but again your fuel line setup is probably gonna have to change. You might also have to use bends ethanol sensor if you want it to be inline nice and clean, otherwise it could be mounted else where (I'm not sure why your setup looks like so it's hard to comment).
okay gotcha sounds good and as for what parts I'm running, it should be in this photo below :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:25 AM   #64
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
really not sure how the shop installed everything since I obviously wasn't there to see but I'm sure it was done like how most would have done it. I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a new fuel line and sensor
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 01:32 AM   #65
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
really not sure how the shop installed everything since I obviously wasn't there to see but I'm sure it was done like how most would have done it. I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a new fuel line and sensor
You won't need to buy a new sensor unless you want it to be mounted right next to the filter on the bracket like bend has it, and your current sensor it somehow to big to fit there (I think it is fine - youll need different fittings if it is too big though).

Oh you have the short line kit from motiv, I am not sure how far this goes back but if it is just in the engine bay from the HPFP then you should be fine with the bend kit but you will need additional fuel lines and connectors to splice the bend kit into or you will need to get the fuel line bend includes. If it goes further back you will need to modify the motiv lines by either adding connectors or splicing into it.

Honestly I think it is better to just buy a full line from the lpfp to the hpfp and splice in connectors for the fuel filter and the current sensor you have now. That's what I plan on doing.
      08-09-2022, 01:50 AM   #66
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
You won't need to buy a new sensor unless you want it to be mounted right next to the filter on the bracket like bend has it, and your current sensor it somehow to big to fit there (I think it is fine - youll need different fittings if it is too big though).

Oh you have the short line kit from motiv, I am not sure how far this goes back but if it is just in the engine bay from the HPFP then you should be fine with the bend kit but you will need additional fuel lines and connectors to splice the bend kit into or you will need to get the fuel line bend includes. If it goes further back you will need to modify the motiv lines by either adding connectors or splicing into it.

Honestly I think it is better to just buy a full line from the lpfp to the hpfp and splice in connectors for the fuel filter and the current sensor you have now. That's what I plan on doing.
I think the stage 3 LPFP system came with fuel lines if I'm not mistaken. I'm really confused what I have to be honest, I'll definitely need to shop to confirm with me.
Appreciate 0