BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone regret getting coilovers?

09-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Anyone regret getting coilovers?

Looking to pickup some TC Kline single/doubles
with camber plates. I will track the car 4-5 times a year and then do some fun Canyon carving with friends. I don't drive the car much for commuting, but will take it out once or twice a weekend when I need to get somewhere.

I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip in which I hit some of the best mountain roads on the southwest. The car was great stock. Quiet, controlled, and comfortable. This trip has me thinking if coilovers will make an appreciable difference.

I plan to get new Turner Racing control arms, run about -2.25 camber and lower the car 15-20mm. I will also get the car corner balanced with a track'ish alignment. I am burning through tires at the track due to the lack of camber.

There are times I look at the car and think the stance is fine. Other times I look at it and think it looks like a lifted truck and needs to be lowered.

What are your thoughts? Did you regret investing in coilovers?

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 1
Fabb227.50
      09-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I have no regrets. I bought them because I thought the car deserved coilovers instead of lowering springs. And I wanted to experience coilovers, since I had lowering springs in my previous car.

So far I haven't adjusted the height or stiffness since getting them. Haven't tracked the car either due to covid this year and an accident last year. And I probably won't adjust them in the future when I do track, as I'd be spending more time perfecting my driving.

I do have my KW v3 set 2 clicks stiffer all around, and I really like how it rides that way. For commutes and for hard driving. It's stiff, and I feel every bump in the road, but I don't mind it. But that stiffness isn't something I could get with just lowering springs.

I know you're not asking about coilovers vs lowering springs. But figured it was worth mentioning. Because maybe lowering springs and camber plates would be good for you. If you like the dampening of the stock shocks already.

As for coilovers vs stock suspension. I have absolutely no regrets. Car looks so much better lowered.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just fitted my MPS last week, and man, what a fantastic difference. Granted, I never track my car, and have them set 1 softer than normal on all settings, but damn if they aren't better riding than the stock suspension.

And I have to say, I'm just like you, sometimes I'd look at the car and think the ride height was ok, and other times I just hated it, but now that the car is lower I'm just full on in 100% more love with it. It might sound stupid, but it just looks "right" now, like somehow it was wrong before, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

It's the drop Brian, it always has been. The wheels and carbon bits, they're just fumes.
Appreciate 2
j23654.50
ROASTM163.50
      09-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Just fitted my MPS last week, and man, what a fantastic difference. Granted, I never track my car, and have them set 1 softer than normal on all settings, but damn if they aren't better riding than the stock suspension.

And I have to say, I'm just like you, sometimes I'd look at the car and think the ride height was ok, and other times I just hated it, but now that the car is lower I'm just full on in 100% more love with it. It might sound stupid, but it just looks "right" now, like somehow it was wrong before, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

It's the drop Brian, it always has been. The wheels and carbon bits, they're just fumes.
It’s amazing how a subtle drop would make the car look so much better.
1/2-3/4” was all it needed for me.
Love the way it looks now.
Once the oem shocks give out, I should really look into the MPS.
Heard nothing but glowing reviews about them.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      09-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Are MPS really that good?

What are the optimal settings in terms of ride height and adjustments? - Is all this listed somewhere in the manual that comes with MPS?

I need a super friendly street suspension that lowers subtly while retaining good everyday handling characteristics. Car will never see track.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Loving my tc Kline set up. I went with His softer spring set he offers due to being a daily driver. Drop makes the car look perfect. I have a lot of front camber and 12mm spacers in front, looks amazing with 265/35 and 285/35 rears in stock rims. I have yet to track or autocross due to Covid. But will try autocross next weekend with tc klines recommended damping set up. His set up instructions are good for initial height and he gives a couple of suggested damping settings for street and track. I plan on dropping my tire size on my next set of rubber back to 255 and 275 just to get a bit better turn in and ride quality for daily driving. I might need to add more spacer to keep a flush look.
I have no regrets going with tc Kline at all.
And my next m2, will get a set from new instead of waiting so long.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post

What are the optimal settings in terms of ride height and adjustments? - Is all this listed somewhere in the manual that comes with MPS?

I need a super friendly street suspension that lowers subtly while retaining good everyday handling characteristics. Car will never see track.
Some of the best mod money I've ever spent on any car. No one could have convinced me, but they were a pretty safe bet, so I took a chance and they're fantastic. Of course, I'm overly happy because I got a great price on a lightly used set, but they're worth the $2300 and then some IMO.

I used the stock settings except I made everything 1 click softer front and rear. Fantastic ride IMO.

The rear I have all the way down, the front has 2.5 threads showing, and I'm damn near spot on 595/600 like BMW wants. I thought for sure I'd be too low (not that I care), but I'm right there. Maybe that's why they ride so good? I'm not slammed for sure. Hard to capture in pictures, seriously, but I'll keep trying.

It wouldn't kill me to go down another thread, but I just got an alignment, so I'll wait a bit to see if they settle (and by all accounts they do).

I'd set the front with 7 threads showing if I were you (rear all the way down), then wait for the settle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
j23654.50
ki__409.00
Kankles1484.50
      09-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Some of the best mod money I've ever spent on any car. No one could have convinced me, but they were a pretty safe bet, so I took a chance and they're fantastic. Of course, I'm overly happy because I got a great price on a lightly used set, but they're worth the $2300 and then some IMO.

I used the stock settings except I made everything 1 click softer front and rear. Fantastic ride IMO.

The rear I have all the way down, the front has 2.5 threads showing, and I'm damn near spot on 595/600 like BMW wants. I thought for sure I'd be too low (not that I care), but I'm right there. Maybe that's why they ride so good? I'm not slammed for sure. Hard to capture in pictures, seriously, but I'll keep trying.

It wouldn't kill me to go down another thread, but I just got an alignment, so I'll wait a bit to see if they settle (and by all accounts they do).

I'd set the front with 7 threads showing if I were you (rear all the way down), then wait for the settle.
Man, that's perfection right there! This is exactly the drop I'm looking for. Did I mention exactly?

Not too low by any stretch and definitely nowhere near being too high. I hate it when the drop is low enough where the top of the tire tucks in under the fender.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      09-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Love my new TCKline Dual Adjustable setup that was tweaked with love from my suspension guru Dan Law @ DER Motorsports. Dual front and rear, 500/700 springs with a H&R Front Sway and SPL End links. I have the H&R rear sway, some PF diff bushings and the rest of the SPL line of goodies to go in later. Waiting for the suspension to settle but so far it feels amazing. No more bouncy rear end and the car hooks so much better and fells even more planted. Better front steering feedback too that will only increase with the rest of the SPL goodies.

I encourage anyone to hit up Dan Law if you're looking for a great suspension setup for these cars, he does a pile of pre-work setting them up nicely and offers endless hours of setup advice/track advice. As an example, he walked me through the install for hours on my phone with torque specs, and making sure everything was perfect. He's definitely very picky like me so it's great to have that kind of support. He helped me setup my E46 M3 years ago with a TCK D/A setup and it's always handles amazing with 1050 rwhp to boot so to hook with that kind of power is pretty impressive to say the least. I will fully hook in 2nd gear now on my M2C which is awesome with my tuned setup. Send a message to dermotorsports@gmail.com if anyone is interested. He's an awesome guy!

Here's a pic of the front coilover setup in boxes:
COChris888.50
      09-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, that's perfection right there! This is exactly the drop I'm looking for. Did I mention exactly?

Not too low by any stretch and definitely nowhere near being too high. I hate it when the drop is low enough where the top of the tire tucks in under the fender.
It's so hard to capture the reality of the drop, as it depends on the light source and even the surface you're on.

The very top of my tires are actually a bit higher than the fender and quarter lips, though the shadows don't show that.

I don't like them tucked up under either.

Also remember that I have Burger 12/10 spacers, which you'll need.

Also, you're going to need at least 1 alignment. I got a deal at Plaza for lifetime alignments on the car for $149, so I can tweak as necessary and have them fix any toe issues. I absolutely recommend that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's so hard to capture the reality of the drop, as it depends on the light source and even the surface you're on.

The very top of my tires are actually a bit higher than the fender and quarter lips, though the shadows don't show that.

Also, you're going to need at least 1 alignment. I got a deal at Plaza for lifetime alignments on the car for $149, so I can tweak as necessary and have them fix any toe issues. I absolutely recommend that.
Thanks. I got M2C and was under the impression that I won't need spacers with the stock 788 and MPS?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I got M2C and was under the impression that I won't need spacers with the stock 788 and MPS?
You don't "need" them for clearance.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      09-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
You won't have a clearance, you'll have an aesthetic issue. But it might not bother you, so you could hold off on the spacers.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You won't have a clearance, you'll have an aesthetic issue. But it might not bother you, so you could hold off on the spacers.
What if I went with MPC at:

1. BMW recommended heights
2. Stock 788 wheels and stock tires
3. 10 mm spacers all around
4. Stock camber and alignment

Would this rub?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
What if I went with MPC at:

1. BMW recommended heights
2. Stock 788 wheels and stock tires
3. 10 mm spacers all around
4. Stock camber and alignment

Would this rub?
I think you'd be fine. But you probably won't get back to stock alignment, only close. Your rear camber won't get back to -1.4° I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #16
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
I think you'd be fine. But you probably won't get back to stock alignment, only close. Your rear camber won't get back to -1.4° I don't think.
I actually don’t mind having a -2 degree camber on my setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      09-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
TDrover
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I never intended to get coilovers for the M2C, but after driving the car for a month I felt the stock suspension was over dampened for street driving, but had just an OK feeling on a track.

I went with Ohlin R&T and the difference is incredible. The ride feels plush on the street settings (but some of this could be canceled out by what wheel/tire combo you choose), but the lack of body roll, turn in and ability to blast curbs on the track is awesome on the track settings. I went with camber plates as well and a square stance and the tire savings is real. The only real negative for me is that the noise in the cabin is quite loud due to metal on metal. I don't think i could live with this if i commuted in the car daily quite honestly, but luckily my M2C is basically a weekend/track car.
      09-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #18
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDrover View Post
I never intended to get coilovers for the M2C, but after driving the car for a month I felt the stock suspension was over dampened for street driving, but had just an OK feeling on a track.

I went with Ohlin R&T and the difference is incredible. The ride feels plush on the street settings (but some of this could be canceled out by what wheel/tire combo you choose), but the lack of body roll, turn in and ability to blast curbs on the track is awesome on the track settings. I went with camber plates as well and a square stance and the tire savings is real. The only real negative for me is that the noise in the cabin is quite loud due to metal on metal. I don't think i could live with this if i commuted in the car daily quite honestly, but luckily my M2C is basically a weekend/track car.
This is exactly why I like the sound of MPC. The spring perches have spring "seaters" (for lack of a better word) and spring sleeves that should limit or eliminate any such metal on metal noises. They also integrate with the stock top mounts, which is a must for me. I think Ohlins RT also fit the stock mounts. I learned long time ago with other cars that camber plates don't pair well with civility on the street. Not enough rubber there to isolate the noises. Yes, even the widely praised GC street plates were noisy for me. I guess it depends on one's tolerance level. I get irritated about any creaks and noises coming from the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #19
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

The more I read about M Perfomance Coilovers, the more I am getting prepared to buy those.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #20
M2Competition
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, P. Sport Turismo, MGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
The more I read about M Perfomance Coilovers, the more I am getting prepared to buy those.
I have the M Performance Coilovers and I am very happy with them both on the street and track.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #21
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

I have MPC and it's a massive upgrade. Using factory height, compression and rebound. Very smooth roads where I live though and it's silent in use.

I'm kinda mad they made us pay money for stock suspension, this should have come stock.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      09-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
This is exactly why I like the sound of MPC. The spring perches have spring "seaters" (for lack of a better word) and spring sleeves that should limit or eliminate any such metal on metal noises. They also integrate with the stock top mounts, which is a must for me. I think Ohlins RT also fit the stock mounts. I learned long time ago with other cars that camber plates don't pair well with civility on the street. Not enough rubber there to isolate the noises. Yes, even the widely praised GC street plates were noisy for me. I guess it depends on one's tolerance level. I get irritated about any creaks and noises coming from the suspension.
Not sure what the deal with the metal on metal noise issues are but my setup doesn't have any noises like described and I'm running TCKline Camber Plates. Perhaps it's due to the helper springs on my setup and the extra work that my suspension guy did prior to me installing.