BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA

09-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Arrow BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA

BIMMERPOST was at Circuit of the Americas to sample a variety of BMWs equipped with M Performance parts. We had about 2.5 hours of open track time and a number of cars to choose from, including cars with manual transmissions. The standout cars were the ones fully equipped with M Performance upgrades. It was an extremely hot day with temperatures soaring to about 100 degrees. I managed to put together three video reviews. First up: M2 with M Performance parts!

Some additional notes:

As mentioned in my video, these parts are not factory installed. Instead, they are installed at port. The reason, I'm told, is that it's too time consuming to install at the factory. For example, the LSD (on the non-M cars) takes 3 hours to install.

Development of the M Performance parts happens in Germany. There are about 20 people on the team doing extensive testing and development. I'm told that these parts undergo the same level of validation as series parts so you can expect the same level of quality and durability.

On the M2, my favorite parts are the wheels and Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. You save 8 lbs in total which is great for lowering unsprung weight and improving responses. The addition of Cup 2 tires transforms the handling experience of the M2. The tires feels stiffer, grippier and offer more feedback. Along with the coilover suspension, the M2 package feels tangibly more aggressive and track-ready. I really love the way the M2 looks with its lowered ride height. It looks mean and purposeful.

The M Performance exhaust on the M2 gives off a nice rumble. It sounds more uncorked than the standard exhaust but does not sound 'aftermarket' at all. Its voice remains mature and refined. You may or may not like the Bluetooth loudness controller that's held in the cup holder. On the other hand, the M3 with the M Performance exhaust sounds like an unhinged beast and its loudness flap control is integrated. On the M3, I feel it's a must! On the M2, I would do the wheels and suspension first.

Some official printed materials on the M2 M Performance Parts:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 1.17.22 PM.jpg
Views: 8086
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 1.17.49 PM.jpg
Views: 8086
Size:  273.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 1.18.47 PM.jpg
Views: 8270
Size:  263.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 1.19.07 PM.jpg
Views: 7873
Size:  307.8 KB
Appreciate 13
      09-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
COTA is an AMAZING track. The facilities are second to none and the layout should be great for testing. No better place to let the ///M loose with the Performance parts

Awesome stuff, nice review!
      09-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Great job on the review. Looks like a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I can actually hear during the upshifts the power lag I was mainly critical of in the manual car - some sort of electronically controlled power regulation which causes a very slow transition into the next gear/speeds. I'm surprised OP you didn't mention it. It's actually pretty horrible on the track the way it feels. I've commented this in another thread after driving a very nicely done manual M2 with Akra, JRZ, other mods on Pirelli slicks.
      09-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Thanks for the video Sam! Always enjoy your reviews. Glad you were able to get on the track with a manual this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I can actually hear during the upshifts the power lag I was mainly critical of in the manual car - some sort of electronically controlled power regulation which causes a very slow transition into the next gear/speeds. I'm surprised OP you didn't mention it. It's actually pretty horrible on the track the way it feels. I've commented this in another thread after driving a very nicely done manual M2 with Akra, JRZ, other mods on Pirelli slicks.
so what you saying? This is a review of three specific M performance parts for the M2..

Appreciate 1
atxsk8r1568.50
      09-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Best video yet, really enjoyed that one, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Jamesembry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition

Quote:
I've noticed the same on my car. Is there a fix?
1986 IROC Z Camaro
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
so what you saying? This is a review of three specific M performance parts for the M2..

Awesome! Back when good hip hop was being produced, Yo MTV Rap days
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesembry View Post
Buy a DCT?
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Jamesembry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 M Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Buy a DCT?
Is there an enjoyable fix?
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
jusblazeee_f22
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

COTA is greatness !
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
ShockArrival
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Search

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Great video...thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:

he said he was having so much fun in the manual though. That specific reason I stated was the exact reason why the manual wasn't fun for me. And that somehow, someway, a DCT would actually be more fun than MT. HERESEY!!

I didn't take it as a review of the individual components but the car with the sum of all the parts! And every time I bring this up, owners say that it happens to them.

Don't hate. lol.
      09-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
maybe there is a tune that could get rid of some of the smoothening. I know for FRS / BRZ crowd there is a torque dip in the transition on upshifts in one of the gears and the tune gets rid of it (or so they say). Maybe this type of tune could just get rid of that artificial dampening but keep the power levels the same. That would be a great fix.

Or like the other guy said - DCT swap lol.
      09-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

I think things felt better but were the lap times in the end much better?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #17
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesembry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Buy a DCT?
Is there an enjoyable fix?
haha! exactly what i was going to say!!!
      09-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
he said he was having so much fun in the manual though. That specific reason I stated was the exact reason why the manual wasn't fun for me. And that somehow, someway, a DCT would actually be more fun than MT. HERESEY!!

I didn't take it as a review of the individual components but the car with the sum of all the parts! And every time I bring this up, owners say that it happens to them.

Don't hate. lol.
maybe you just didn't read the headline
" BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA " and all the press and promo stuff regarding those items.

Re " Don't hate... "

you gotta be a playa for me to even hate the game.. and you are nowhere even near that status..

With regards to your concerns regarding the manual and sounds like a personal problem.

CLEARLY.. OP wasn't concerned.. as you indicated... " he said he was having so much fun in the manual "

" I'm already having a bit more fun with the manual than the DCT ..." said Sam..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-07-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #19
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
maybe you just didn't read the headline
" BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA " and all the press and promo stuff regarding those items.

Re " Don't hate... "

you gotta be a playa for me to even hate the game.. and you are nowhere even near that status..

With regards to your concerns regarding the manual and sounds like a personal problem. CLEARLY.. OP wasn't concerned..
lol im just joking.

I read the headline but watching the video, he's not really individually reviewing them, and even if he was, he also was "reviewing" how great the manual transmission was.

Regarding everything else....

if we met in person, you would know im a playaplaya from the first second meeting me

For the power trick, I have a feeling that OP did feel it since I can clearly hear it in the video and he must be able to feel it (or he'll need to adjust his butt dyno), but you're right, it's a promo so of course it wouldn't be noted. I'm just so sick of this #fakenews stuff hahaha

We already spoke about this in the other thread, so why you gotta attack me? This is a safe space isn't it?
      09-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #20
adisz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
I wounded if a clutch delay valve delete could help this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
lol im just joking.

I read the headline but watching the video, he's not really individually reviewing them, and even if he was, he also was "reviewing" how great the manual transmission was.

if we met in person, you would know im a playaplaya from the first second meeting me

For the power trick, I have a feeling that OP did feel it since I can clearly hear it in the video and he must be able to feel it (or he'll need to adjust his butt dyno), but you're right, it's a promo so of course it wouldn't be noted. I'm just so sick of this #fakenews stuff hahaha

We already spoke about this in the other thread, so why you gotta attack me? This is a safe space isn't it?

LOL regarding playa status

Regarding fake news.. I do find it interesting that Bimmerpost commissions people to actually do this sort of review.

I had to laugh when the reviewer indicated he was driving around the entire time on track with the AC on..

Holy heat soak Batman! I mean really.. turn the A/C off when you leave the paddock..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-07-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #22
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
lol im just joking.

LOL regarding playa status

Regarding fake news.. I do find it interesting that Bimmerpost commissions people to actually do this sort of review.

I had to laugh when the reviewer indicated he was driving around the entire time on track with the AC on..

Holy heat soak Batman! I mean really.. turn the A/C off when you leave the paddock..
I drove on track with AC on on 100 degree days too. It's reasonable when you're not timing attacking.