BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Should I keep my OG M2 2017 LCI or move on.

03-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #1
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Should I keep my OG M2 2017 LCI or move on.

Should I keep my M2 or move on that's the big question??

I'm seeing standard 2016 M2 going between £32k - £35k on auto trader.

At the end of my PCP (the car will be 3 years old) the M2 will owe £29k

My M2 is fully loaded with MPE.
      03-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
KeepItlow
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Car

Depend on what the replacement will be?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

The real question you have to ask yourself is why are you asking this question? Do you not enjoy it anymore? Can't drive it anymore?

If the answer to that question is because you're trying to mitigate loss of resale value, then why did you buy the car in the first place? You lost an enormous percentage of the cars value the day you drove it off the lot. If you still enjoy it why would you get rid of it? A car is a depreciating asset, especially a sports car. Sounds to me like you're too concerned with what the car is (going to be) worth, rather than if it still puts a smile on your face.
Appreciate 4
Artemis29404.00
heavyD^23688.50
KO768.00
      03-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Kef9
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Manual, F80 M3C Manual

What are you thinking of replacing it with? For me personally as a long term ownership prospect the OG M2 ticks all the boxes. Especially with the N55 engine as repairs will not cost a fortune compared to something like the S55.

I plan on keeping mine a very long time. I tend to buy big but keep it for years (I had my previous 8L S3 for 11 years).
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      03-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
M2C89 had a good summary.
If you don't love the car, are always looking for the next big thing, have gobs of money, and looking as a car as an investment rather than enjoying it, time to trade.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

BTW OP -- if you have a 2017 M2 you don't have an LCI M2.
Appreciate 2
McPurrs290.00
tranck500.50
      03-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F30_F87 View Post
M2C89 had a good summary.
If you don't love the car, are always looking for the next big thing, have gobs of money, and looking as a car as an investment rather than enjoying it, time to trade.
Totally agree - also worth noting that if you believe any new car is an investment, expect to lose lots of money whenever you trade up to what you think is going to be the next collectors car.

It takes a long time for the market to account for rarity and for nostalgia to set in. Can't get there in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

What is the obsession with resale values with owners on this site? You will never enjoy any car worrying about it's declining value in the used car market. Enjoy the car until you feel there's a more desirable car available that you can afford.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22428.50
      03-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What is the obsession with resale values with owners on this site? You will never enjoy any car worrying about it's declining value in the used car market. Enjoy the car until you feel there's a more desirable car available that you can afford.

For me, its really not an obsession about resale value, it's just always looking, to see what's around the corner!

I went in to a Jag dealership a few months ago, and they had a 2015 Jag F-Type R... took it for a drive, and it was really a blast.

I did obsess for a little while, thinking about trading my M2 in for the F-Type... salesman took me for a test drive, and took me on a freeway onramp that was a giant loop... kept telling me to go faster! Car stuck to the ground and handled amazingly well, but then, so does my M2!

My son talked me out of it! He absolutely LOVES the M2, he's the one who talked me into getting it...

Bottom line, the M2 is a blast to drive and still brings grins to my face.

That F-Type, though, just looks sweeet! Course, new it's over $100k new ($60k used), so it better look sweeter then our M2's, but....

I took my wife out two days ago, drove her to an outlet store about an hour away from where we live, so she'd have company, and I'd have a nice, long drive in the M.

While waiting for her in the car, a family walks by... father, mother, and two young kids. The dad stops, looks at my M2 and gives me a thumbs up! He then says to his wife..."That's the FUN one"!

She looks at him with this quizzical look on her face.

Always makes me feel good when people see the M2 and know what it is! Even in Los Angeles, you just don't see very many of them, which is one very big positive in my opinion!

Hey... if we weren't into cars, we wouldn't be driving an M car. And if we ARE into cars, it's hard not to check out what else is out there!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
What is the obsession with resale values with owners on this site? You will never enjoy any car worrying about it's declining value in the used car market.
+1

I go into it based on what it does for me to own that particular car knowing full well that if the reasons change over time I will lose big time.

I had a 1M and a 991.2 that both held up well (1M actually made money) but my 2006 Z4M was a loss.

The LCI I have now will depreciate and I don't care as it puts a wide smile on my face...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all thanks for your views. Hear are some answers to the question you have stated

1 I love my M2 and it makes me smile loads.
2 I will be honest I don't know what I want next.
3 I assume the CS will be coming out around the time my PCP is up and I think it's in my head will this hit the value of mine.
4 I know the M2 lost money after I drive it from the dealership, I'm always looking for my next car, I can't help it.
      03-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Quote:
Hi it's a dec 2017 LCI. The black speedo and touch screen
      03-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Quote:

For me, its really not an obsession about resale value, it's just always looking, to see what's around the corner!

I went in to a Jag dealership a few months ago, and they had a 2015 Jag F-Type R... took it for a drive, and it was really a blast.

I did obsess for a little while, thinking about trading my M2 in for the F-Type... salesman took me for a test drive, and took me on a freeway onramp that was a giant loop... kept telling me to go faster! Car stuck to the ground and handled amazingly well, but then, so does my M2!

My son talked me out of it! He absolutely LOVES the M2, he's the one who talked me into getting it...

That F-Type, though, just looks sweeet! Course, new it's over $100k new ($60k used), so it better look sweeter then our M2's, but....

I took my wife out two days ago, drove her to an outlet store about an hour away from where we live, so she'd have company, and I'd have a nice, long drive in the M.

While waiting for her in the car, a family walks by... father, mother, and two young kids. The dad stops, looks at my M2 and gives me a thumbs up! He then says to his wife..."That's the FUN one"!

Always makes me feel good when people see the M2 and know what it is! Even in Los Angeles, you just don't see very many of them, which is one very big positive in my opinion!

Hey... if we weren't into cars, we wouldn't be driving an M car. And if we ARE into cars, it's hard not to check out what else is out there!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have hit it on the head. Love the M2 but I'm allways looking at cars or reviews and it makes me think about a change
      03-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
You have hit it on the head. Love the M2 but I'm allways looking at cars or reviews and it makes me think about a change
Very bad economic decision. Enjoy the M2 until it isn’t reliable. Probably around 100,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Very bad economic decision. Enjoy the M2 until it isn’t reliable. Probably around 100,000 miles.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Very bad economic decision. Enjoy the M2 until it isn't reliable. Probably around 100,000 miles.
Lol, I totally agree. I can't help my self.
      03-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
This is my plan as the potential is beyond my capabilities for what I use it for.

Last edited by .2pdk; 03-18-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10657.50
      03-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
In the UK, a 2017 car is built in 2017 - not sometime in early 2016.
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      03-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Hi all thanks for your views. Hear are some answers to the question you have stated

3 I assume the CS will be coming out around the time my PCP is up and I think it's in my head will this hit the value of mine.
4 I know the M2 lost money after I drive it from the dealership, I'm always looking for my next car, I can't help it.
You have a PCP, so it will always be worth the Guaranteed Future Value. The value you refer to is largely illusory - BMW Finance (if that's who you did the PCP with) will have set the GFV at a level that will give you a deposit for the next car as they don't want you walking away. So, talking to your local dealership early about availability and deals may actually help...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

If it's to get rid of it for resale you missed the boat by about 6-12 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #20
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Could have gotten real awkward if she thought he was pointing at your wife, and not the car..
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      03-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Basically what I was trying to say. I just don't get it. Seems some people don't even enjoy their car for fear of depreciating it, dumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

You have a PCP, so it will always be worth the Guaranteed Future Value. The value you refer to is largely illusory - BMW Finance (if that's who you did the PCP with) will have set the GFV at a level that will give you a deposit for the next car as they don't want you walking away. So, talking to your local dealership early about availability and deals may actually help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

It's with BMW and I totally agree they don't want to loose a customer.

I will chat with them in the summer