BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LED Adaptive Headlights w/ Variable Light Distribution (VLD) - High Beam Assist (HBA)

11-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #89
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I finally coded mine with Bimmer code but there is no dramatic change. There is some movement between reverse and 1 gear but the turning thing is still really slow (pathetic really). Looking for the e-sys coding.
I heard on the newer vehicle, Euro VLD and Anti-dazzle can't be coded in US spec cars anymore..

I didn't personally confirm this but you might want to look into that before you pull your hair out trying to figure out if you did something wrong in coding..
They can be coded, however the hardware in the lights themselves differs between US and rest of world. You'll end up blinding oncoming traffic.

No, I wasn't referring to the old pre-LCI missing "walze" shutter party line dispute.

I meant the new model FEM-FLE module differ in the LCI vehicles, at least in the F82, between the US and Euro vehicle.. It can't be coded even if the headlight hardware are the same for both regions..

Anti-dazzle and VLD in 2018 cars? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1553056

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23852424
There's still a hardware difference between US and RoW Adaptive LED Projectors on the 2er which doesn't allow for functional GFHB. Even you can figure this one out visually...

Name:  01542292468.jpeg
Views: 3600
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  01542292472.jpeg
Views: 3537
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  01542292475.jpeg
Views: 3819
Size:  1.41 MB

Name:  01542292479.jpeg
Views: 3409
Size:  1.46 MB
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #90
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Either way on the anti dazzle...I was referring to VLD. I'm not seeing a whole lot of response. Do you think this is a hardware issue? Mine is a January 18 build.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #91
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

They are definitely different part #'s between the Euro and the USA....and that has always been the case with the LCI.... so how come some say that works...?

Last edited by GregoryK; 11-17-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
They are definitely different part #'s between the Euro and the USA....and that has always been the case with the LCI.... so how come some say that works...?
There is never-ending debate that the US spec vehicles are missing the proper hardware to properly code Euro VLD and Anti-dazzle. I have the official dealer BMW dealer training manual and there is no mention of a hardware difference. I believe the different part numbers is because the US requires side markers lights and Europe doesn't..

I have pre-LCI Xenon and had someone record me while drove in the back of them to test out the coding; seems both worked fine. No blinding or dazzle, just "dancing headlights."

I can't speak for LED headlights but according to some, including this guy in Canada with a new M4 CS, it's fully codeable.

Then there are others who say that new LEDs headlights doesn't work properly due to hardware differences, including the poster above.. No one car give a definitive answer on the subject.

I am just as confuse as you are and I'm usually a nerd when it comes to these things.. :

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ght/1VnXSt1qI7
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #93
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Guess I'll just code it and see what happens. The LED layout on Lemetier's post look to be the same to my eye. I agree it is not as obvious as he states and also why would they go to the expense of making 2 sets of any part when they don't have to. Much easier and cheaper to code it out!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #94
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guess I'll just code it and see what happens. The LED layout on Lemetier's post look to be the same to my eye. I agree it is not as obvious as he states and also why would they go to the expense of making 2 sets of any part when they don't have to. Much easier and cheaper to code it out!
The logical reason they could be different is because it cost more to add LED diodes - and why add them when they are not going to be used anyways..

And also, LEDs generate heat that could shorten its lifespan.. There is actually fans inside headlight to cool the LEDs.. So why include unnecessary LEDs to generate extra heat, that's not really going to be used in the US or Canada.

Now all this is just assumptions until someone actually has irrefutable proof.

I am still not convinced there is a difference.

I asked several times but lemetier refuse to share the source of his claim, so that LED PCB cluster he supplied could be from a UFO or maybe he's right and it really is from a US/Euro 2 series headlight.. :

Without the proper labeling and source, it's still all up in the air..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23947011
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #95
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well just VO coded my M2. Removed both 5AP and 8S4. The difference compared to the coding I did with Bimmercode is night and day. I'll go in tomorrow with Bimmercode and check the codes to see what they say. I couldn't really check out the Antidazzzle but Auto High beams seem way more sensitive. VLD is really great now and headlamps turning seem quicker to respond.

Appreciate 3
randyt224.50
yjypm219.00
      11-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #96
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Well just VO coded my M2. Removed both 5AP and 8S4. The difference compared to the coding I did with Bimmercode is night and day. I'll go in tomorrow with Bimmercode and check the codes to see what they say. I couldn't really check out the Antidazzzle but Auto High beams seem way more sensitive. VLD is really great now and headlamps turning seem quicker to respond.
I tried it twice as well. Both times I got repeatedly flashed by oncoming traffic as it failed to "tunnel" around oncoming cars. I had this coded on my F80 and it worked great, but I never saw the correct tunneling behavior on my F87.

Can you share exactly what coding you did?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #97
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
GregoryK thanks for the info. Is your M2 an LCI? Can you share your build month and the full specifics of your coding? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #98
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm on the same boat. I have production date of 4/18. Wondering if should have the VLD and Anti dazzle coded or just the VLD?
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #99
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

My car is a 2018 -1 build.
Straight forward VO coding:
Saved the cars VO to the desktop. Removed the 5AP and 8S4. Then VO codes back 4 modules (FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, FLE(43) & FLE(44).
I did not write the modified FA back to the car and made a backup copy of the original VO.
As I said I have not tested the antidazzle as of yet. The VLD is perfect.

Appreciate 3
PLF693762.50
randyt224.50
      11-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #100
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post
I'm on the same boat. I have production date of 4/18. Wondering if should have the VLD and Anti dazzle coded or just the VLD?
I have a mate who does remote coding. We are going to remove 5AP and 8S4 and temporarily changing the type code to the EU equivalent of my car just for the FLE modules. he has done this and it worked on all the new G series cars.
We are thinking the next 2 days so will let you know how it goes. If it works it will be a guaranteed result.

Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      11-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #101
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I have a mate who does remote coding. We are going to remove 5AP and 8S4 and temporarily changing the type code to the EU equivalent of my car just for the FLE modules. he has done this and it worked on all the new G series cars.
We are thinking the next 2 days so will let you know how it goes. If it works it will be a guaranteed result.
Keep us posted. Also if you suspect the anti dazzle is working, take a video or two so a few of us can give our feedback if it isn't too much trouble.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #102
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Will do!

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #103
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
The obvious part was aimed right at Poochie since he continues to reference a Russian website that utilizes decrypted generic TIS data. I've gone far out of my way in the past 4 years to document everything without breaching my responsibilities under Oath as an appointed representative to UN WP.29, SAE, and NHTSA Officer.

For everyone else, image 1&3 are RoW ADB LED (16 1x1COB mounted vertically) shown with and without the Microoptic Lens. Image 2&4 are the Global Non-Adaptive and US/CAN* Adaptive LED Projector (horizontal mounted with PES reflector - 2x COB for low, 1x COB for High).

*Canada legalized ADB in April and models capable of retroactive enabling with existing hardware can be done via dealer programming. Cars with HBA or KAFAS but lacking correct headlamps can be enabled after headlamp retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #104
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
The obvious part was aimed right at Poochie since he continues to reference a Russian website that utilizes decrypted generic TIS data. For everyone else, image 1&3 are RoW ADB LED (16 1x1COB mounted vertically) shown with and without the Microoptic Lens. Image 2&4 are the Global Non-Adaptive and US/CAN* Adaptive LED Projector (horizontal mounted with PES reflector - 2x COB for low, 1x COB for High).

*Canada legalized ADB in April and models capable of retroactive enabling with existing hardware can be done via dealer programming. Cars with HBA or KAFAS but lacking correct headlamps can be enabled after headlamp retrofit.
What is the source of this claim?!

If you provide it, I will apologize for the back and forth and actually take your word for it. How hard is it to provide a link or photo?

That's all I've been practically begging you for, 4th times already. Instead, you copy and paste some random photo with no context. What are we suppose to extract from that exactly ?

At least I supplied a "Russian" technical training manual, in English Which is relevant and fruitful to the discussion.

Anyone can spew any nonsense without backing it up, like I could tell you next year BMW is releasing flying cars, without any proof, there is no way to confirm that..

You're instead adamant about your claim and attempt to be condescending when I press you for your source of your information.

I will ask again, where did you get this information?

And please don't reply with another "opinion" piece. It doesn't do your credibility any favors and it just serves to confuse other members about this issue, even further..

LIKE THIS:

Nothing mentions what you just claim. No "ADB" approved. See, I just proved you wrong with FACTS and it only took a me 8 seconds to do.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road...le-lights.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #105
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The obvious part was aimed right at Poochie since he continues to reference a Russian website that utilizes decrypted generic TIS data. I've gone far out of my way in the past 4 years to document everything without breaching my responsibilities under Oath as an appointed representative to UN WP.29, SAE, and NHTSA Officer.

For everyone else, image 1&3 are RoW ADB LED (16 1x1COB mounted vertically) shown with and without the Microoptic Lens. Image 2&4 are the Global Non-Adaptive and US/CAN* Adaptive LED Projector (horizontal mounted with PES reflector - 2x COB for low, 1x COB for High).

I appreciate your position. I am unclear as to why these pics though. It would be super helpful to see side-by-side pics of the interior layout. That way we could see the differences. I admit my lack of knowledge on this but I am not seeing compelling photographic evidence here.
I owned a BMW MINI and the headlamps did not move but the beam was all over the place with a way quicker response time than the BMW adaptive headlamps.
What I think you are saying is that that the US/Canadian Adaptive LED headlamps cannot be tunneled to stop blinding the oncoming drivers. You are also saying that you are in some sort of government office that allows you to know this. Is this true?

Last edited by GregoryK; 11-19-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      11-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #106
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
LIKE THIS:

Nothing mentions what you just claim. No "ADB" approved. See, I just proved you wrong with FACTS and it only took a me 8 seconds to do.

Really ?

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/20...ors43-eng.html
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #107
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LIKE THIS:

Really ?

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/20...ors43-eng.html
Ok, you were correct, my bad.

Canada is changing regulations to match with Europe, even though the US is reluctant to jump aboard. Interesting stuff.

You could of saved a lot bickering by just supplying that info on Canada to begin with. That's the great thing about the copy & paste, dot.com era; it doesn't take much effort to prove your point.

Can you please now provide any solid data on the supposed hardware difference between US/Canada and European spec headlights, which was the original topic..

I know there is a definite difference with Audi's US and Euro spec headlights but no one has a definitive answer on BMW's hardware, beside the different part number.

Good to see Canada finally catching up to advance headlight technology, unlike the US.

I guess my next "Euro spec" headlights will be ordered from Canada instead of Germany
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #108
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Subscribed and thank you! Hope to hear the good news!
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #109
bjams
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2 LBB

FWIW I used Bimmercode to get full adaptive functionality out of my ‘18 LCI and as far as I can tell it works perfectly. The headlights move all over the place and I’ve never been flashed by oncoming traffic. Not sure if this is the same way they work in Europe but it sure seems like it’s doing all the things as advertised.

I will say, though, that certain behaviors such as tunneling only seem to work above certain speeds, and obviously only on much darker roads which is hard to find living in a big city.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #110
bjams
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2 LBB

I find that it also will only tunnel in very specific situations (following a car, at a certain speed and darkness, with no oncoming traffic). If I’m following a car and there is oncoming traffic it will generally just turn off the high-aimed light on the left side of the car. It tries to keep the right side aimed high at the side of the road, lighting up signs and stuff, pretty much all of the time.
Appreciate 0