BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Price for the US: $83,600 (plus $995 Destination)

06-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #2135
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
GoneIn4

I just want to be clear . . . I do NOT think the DCT is lacking in function. In fact, it is a great transmission.

MY opinion is the BMW chassis have become too big/heavy to enjoy DCT manual mode.

This is NOT me 'slagging' my M2C either . . . great sporty coupe! I simply prefer the DCT automatic mode over manual mode.

I realize many have their own views that are not in agreement with those of my own . . . accepted on my part.

//AVM
The more I drive the M2C, the less I think of it as a sports car and the more I think of it as some kind of coupe/muscle car hybrid. Its too small and doesn't have the requisite V8 rumble to be a true muscle car, but its attitude is very similar. It wants to be bad. The upside is that its way way more controllable than any real muscle car when its doing those bad things. Also it genuinely works pretty well on a twisty road.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #2136
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
GoneIn4

I just want to be clear . . . I do NOT think the DCT is lacking in function. In fact, it is a great transmission.

MY opinion is the BMW chassis have become too big/heavy to enjoy DCT manual mode.

This is NOT me 'slagging' my M2C either . . . great sporty coupe! I simply prefer the DCT automatic mode over manual mode.

I realize many have their own views that are not in agreement with those of my own . . . accepted on my part.

//AVM
I run a n55 with dinan stage 4 tune and a mpe on mp suspension

This coupled with the dct, in manual mode is.... nirvana

The whole car feels very light and nimble, and sounds like a muscle/ferrari hybrid

Ive had great drives this summer, i wouldn't change a thing with this gearbox. I feel instant torque, and this is all without having the need to put it into sport+,

Even that jerkyness of first gear has seem to corrected itself over time, its all about throttle modulation

Im telling you, the last few drives ive just been amazed i have this car. I understand what you say about the dct prefer in auto vs manual, but as you get to known the car more , it comes alive,

Also having the option to put it into auto and eat a burrito and drink while driving cant be understated either!
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
F87EVO4020.50
      06-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #2137
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
The more I drive the M2C, the less I think of it as a sports car and the more I think of it as some kind of coupe/muscle car hybrid. Its too small and doesn't have the requisite V8 rumble to be a true muscle car, but its attitude is very similar. It wants to be bad. The upside is that its way way more controllable than any real muscle car when its doing those bad things. Also it genuinely works pretty well on a twisty road.
Mo

I think that is a truly perfect assessment . . . if I am going to drive a Shelby GT, it damn well better rumble like one . . . if I am going to drive a Porsche sport car, it damn well better handle like one. . . if I am going to drive a Tesla, it damn well better pull like one.

The M2C is a nice blend of features that make it a great sporty coup. Exactly what I anticipated and exactly what I got.

Sadly, despite its size and weight problem, the M2C is still the smallest BMW chassis - and certain to not get any smaller or lighter. The 'ICE age' is coming to an end, along with the acoustic thrill as you climb to red line - that has pretty much already been lost with turbo engines anyway. Automatic transmissions are incredible and capable of matching a driver's spirited desires. . . All of these factors are making the MT and DCT obsolete.

I do not blame BMW for their decided direction, as it is just where things are going. . . . what I can - and do - blame BMW for is losing their way when it comes to design, but that topic has yet to become reality on the M2 sub-forum.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 06-16-2020 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      06-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #2138
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I run a n55 with dinan stage 4 tune and a mpe on mp suspension

This coupled with the dct, in manual mode is.... nirvana

The whole car feels very light and nimble, and sounds like a muscle/ferrari hybrid

Ive had great drives this summer, i wouldn't change a thing with this gearbox. I feel instant torque, and this is all without having the need to put it into sport+,

Even that jerkyness of first gear has seem to corrected itself over time, its all about throttle modulation

Im telling you, the last few drives ive just been amazed i have this car. I understand what you say about the dct prefer in auto vs manual, but as you get to known the car more , it comes alive,

Also having the option to put it into auto and eat a burrito and drink while driving cant be understated either!
GoneIn4

I love it. I love your enthusiasm. I would not try to change it for a moment.

Even though I do not agree with your assessment through my own experiences, I do absolutely enjoy what my M2C has to offer. . . if I want a different driving experience, well, I have that too.

Enjoy your summer months out on the open roads my friend!

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #2139
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
GoneIn4

I love it. I love your enthusiasm. I would not try to change it for a moment.

Even though I do not agree with your assessment through my own experiences, I do absolutely enjoy what my M2C has to offer. . . if I want a different driving experience, well, I have that too.

Enjoy your summer months out on the open roads my friend!

///AVM
What dont you agree with in the assessment
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #2140
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
What dont you agree with in the assessment
GoneIn4

I think I pretty well state my perspective in post #2140 above . . .

DCT manual mode simply does not inspire me in the M2C chassis. I do, however, find the automatic (Sport Pus) mode well suited for the M2C chassis.

Again, my comments are not intended to change your perspective. If you find enjoyment with DCT manual mode - and you clearly do - that is all that matters.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #2141
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Would certainly like to hear the 6MT guys chime in, but crickets, hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #2142
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The manual is not the greatest I've driven, but it's still pretty darn good. I'll take 'darn good' manual experience over any form of auto tranny. I've driven 2 DCT cars, a 911 Turbo S and a couple GTRs, and while they're awesome to drive fast and let the car just absolutely RIP through the gears, I have tons more fun just zipping around in the M2 rowing through gears. My favorite is a 1-4, shifting at 4000-4500. I don't have to be going to jail speeds to have a great time. If I want to slow it down, the M2 practically drives itself, it increases the revs as the clutch is let out to help take off, it has hill assist, and it rev matches. A CDV-less slave is on my list of upgrades, as the engagement point is always in a different place because of it, but it's a hoot to drive regardless.

If you're on the fence, you're more than welcome to take my M for a drive, and get a feel for the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #2143
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
The manual is not the greatest I've driven, but it's still pretty darn good. I'll take 'darn good' manual experience over any form of auto tranny.
Excellent choice

I, myself, If I'm getting anything in the M2 platform, it has to be a manual..

When I get so old and I can't move my neck horizontally anymore, then I'll settle for an ZF8 auto/paddles, 5 Series, with Lane Change Assistance..
Appreciate 2
Conissah1576.00
F87EVO4020.50
      06-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #2144
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post

Just wondering why you are not interested in a Cayman GT4? I may be interested in a GT4 if it gets the PDK.
Ugly, too small and not very good as a road car. For a dedicated track car it would be great though.

I like that M cars are hoon cars. For me they deliver more driving enjoyment on the road with the benefit of a lot more practicality and without the Porsche image problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #2145
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
OK.

6MT is a no-brainer on this car.

It is absurd not to order it. Last (manual transmission + manual handbrake) German car and will be way more valuable down the road than DCT.

We are thinking it, just feel bad saying it.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      06-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #2146
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
OK.

6MT is a no-brainer on this car.

It is absurd not to order it. Last (manual transmission + manual handbrake) German car and will be way more valuable down the road than DCT.

We are thinking it, just feel bad saying it.
What is was thinking when i ordered the CS . Actually the reason why i changed my OG M2 , the main one , was that i needed to have an M car with manual transmition , and with a proper handbrake , with a 3.0l Straight Six , rear wheel drive , and there comes the CS with all those , being the best M2 variant , being a limited edition , it was a must buy for me . Ticked all the boxes . DCT would be great too , but one day it will be seemed just like we see now the SMG , and my experience with it driving it for the last 2 years , its boring man , you dont do anything , pressing a button to change gears is so different than trying to balance the clutch and change your own gear , the involvement is what i missed about that car , but now a manual CS is coming in less than a month !

Instant isn't always better !

Poochie9103.00
      06-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #2147
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm in the 6mt camp and likely couldn't be swayed, but I'm also not chasing lap times. I want something a little more engaging during my daily commute. If I really don't want to shift it's probably got enough tq to start in second gear where I could leave it for my stop and go activities.

I enjoy the balanced discussion.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52715.00
///AVM2528.00
      06-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #2148
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the 6mt camp and likely couldn't be swayed, but I'm also not chasing lap times. I want something a little more engaging during my daily commute. If I really don't want to shift it's probably got enough tq to start in second gear where I could leave it for my stop and go activities.

The topic of DCT vs MT is no different than the topic of M2C vs M2CS . . . if you want it, then get it.

That sounds curt, but not intended to be such. When it is your money and your car, you get what you want . . . does not have to make sense to anyone else.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
tranck500.50
Poochie9103.00
      06-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #2149
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

I'll try to dig it up if someone doesn't have the answer - but is the 6MT in these M2's the same as in my F30 335? I find it to be one of the better BMW manuals, and thoroughly enjoy it. If the CS manual is at least that good I'll be a happy camper.

EDIT: (according to real OEM it looks like the same transmission in the M2C and my 2014 335 - GS6-45BZ).
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-17-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #2150
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomeister View Post
Instant isn't always better !

Literally used that line the other day when one of my Supra buddies went on about how "autos are faster and win races." Best line ever.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4020.50
      06-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #2151
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I'll try to dig it up if someone doesn't have the answer - but is the 6MT in these M2's the same as in my F30 335? I find it to be one of the better BMW manuals, and thoroughly enjoy it. If the CS manual is at least that good I'll be a happy camper.

EDIT: (according to real OEM it looks like the same transmission in the M2C and my 2014 335 - GS6-45BZ).
I'm curious about tge 6MT versions. I tried to do some digging into the historical progression, but came up empty handed. I doubt any changes were added for the CS, but wonder when the last significant performance overhaul occured?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #2152
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
I'm curious about tge 6MT versions. I tried to do some digging into the historical progression, but came up empty handed. I doubt any changes were added for the CS, but wonder when the last significant performance overhaul occured?
In my searching there was a switch at the N54 to N55 engine (GS6-53DZ to GS6-45BZ). Since the N55 everything has been on the same manual transmission in the 2 and 3 series at least from what I can see. It seems like the newer transmission is preferred over what was attached to the N54 as there were multiple threads I stumbled on with discussions on how to swap to the newer 6 speed. I didn't find much on ratings for the 6 speed for power holding, or if any shifting improvements/revisions were made at any point or not (thought I saw a mention in one of the CS reviews about some kind of updated synchro treatment).
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-17-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #2153
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post

Yes, the manual transmission are the same part number, as the standard models. Only the flywheel in the M models are lighten.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #2154
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

The specific part numbers are different for the GS6-45BZ between the 340i version and M2/M3/M4 versions likely at least for gearing differences perhaps.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #2155
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:

Modern 6MT's 911's/BMW's with rev-matching are as easy as every to drive. Hill hold, etc... it really is not tough. Clutches are light and boxes are geared so that it is can be driven easy in traffic. It costs less, weighs less, generally is much more valuable and desirable in the resale market, (see GT3 PDK cars) and in this case might be the only BMW CS to ever be offered in 6MT. It also is an analogue feature that keeps one connected to the modern car that is becoming less and less analogue.

Also, in North America, the M2 manual has a 50% take rate, which is staggering, that is with dealers almost always ordering the DCT at the higher price. M2 buyers, the people that like the M2, and order the M2, are ordering manuals at a very high rate.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4020.50
      06-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #2156
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

When the M2 and M2C came out there were claims by BMW in their promotional material that there were improvements made to the shift linkage. I remember something about more precision with CF bushings. Given BMWs promotional track record, I don't know how true it was.
Appreciate 0