BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

07-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #837
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Finally got my CSF. I hope it’s straight forward install like the FTP charge pipe.

I had to loosen the hose clamps connecting the charge pipe segments so the lower part would engage with the IC.

1.5 hrs later….

Wow. Is it psychological or is the car more powerful with the new intercooler? I feel like the car charges much more. Myb it helps that it just rained so the weather is cooler. I don’t feel it added any lag but then again I’m no expert. I just feel when I step on the gas and a second later, the rear wheel is spinning (wet road). Sport+.

CSF, for Pete’s sake. Would it kill the company to include a bigger (or proper rectangular) washer so the IC isn’t looking like it’s going to fall off? The washer tilts to one side. Precariously sitting to one side and looks like it could slide out. I had to put a nut (rummaged thru my bin of random crap) in between the space so it doesn’t shift to one side. This IC have been shipping to customers at least 3+ yrs now, I guess they don’t intend to improve this aspect. Weird though that I received 4 sets of washers and screws. Would have been a nice touch if they spec’d it with torx screws instead of what looks like stainless wood screws but that would be asking too much considering the washer.

Sorry no nearby street (that's not congested) to do any logs.
Do you mind posting some logs when you can? I’d love to see how it’s holding up in that heat - the weather here in Florida is similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #838
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Car definitely is faster all the time with upgraded IC, it's what I found. But at same time I also had MST V2 inlet done with turbosmart DV so not apples to apples. All those things have 8-9hp peak on Dyno and better top end.

I'm convinced I've felt heatsoak on stock IC even on the road in the UK! Interestingly though three back to back runs on stock IC on Dyno showed very consistent power results.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #839
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Do you mind posting some logs when you can? I’d love to see how it’s holding up in that heat - the weather here in Florida is similar.
Went for a long drive on twisties today. I was actually wondering how the IC is doing. I tried connecting using my iPhone and it just won’t detect. I don’t know what’s going on but I’ve never had luck with my phone on the BM3. Tried different connectors and all.

I still need to bring my car in to a shop to install the turbosmart DV & MST. It’s just sitting here. I want to install it myself but just scared that it’s as hard as everyone says it is. I rather pay someone then. It’s not the money actually but I feel those guys aren’t as meticulous. Anal.

The real power comes around 3500 rpm right? Like the really angry power. Always Sports+.

Last edited by vrooooom; 07-10-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #840
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I recently had a shop install my MST intake and Turbosmart DV plumb back, in addition to belt change, spark plugs, oil, brakes, and some other stuff - the inlet and DV install was about $300 (he said he spent a few hours on it, but it wasn't too bad, but gave me a break on the labor)

Those alone really sharpened up the throttle response and logs say the car holds boost better, and overall it feels stronger.

Just recently, I was planning on selling my MPPK/M2 lower intake, and just use my stock one with the AFE Drop in filter (M235i). In putting on the stock lower box, throttle response was diminished, and the low end felt softer (more lag) until about 3500rpm. It basically took more throttle to make gain the same response before - I'm still thinking it's in my head. I just swapped back MPPK/M2 lower and will do some driving to see if it's purely psychological. Overall, the DV + inlet did help, and especially as a manual.
      07-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #841
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
... throttle response was diminished, and the low end felt softer (more lag) until about 3500rpm. It basically took more throttle to make gain the same response before - I'm still thinking it's in my head.
This is very similar to my experience with throttle response after installing the ER intercooler and charge pipe. Wondering if the TIP (turbo intake pipe) and DV will help revert things closer to stock, or should I simply try installing my 300 cell Akra dp first.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #842
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
This is very similar to my experience with throttle response after installing the ER intercooler and charge pipe. Wondering if the TIP (turbo intake pipe) and DV will help revert things closer to stock, or should I simply try installing my 300 cell Akra dp first.
Are you still using the stock filter? And it's absolutely, tangibly better with the TIP and DV.
      07-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #843
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Are you still using the stock filter? And it's absolutely, tangibly better with the TIP and DV.
Yeah, stock airbox and filter. Was thinking of throwing a K&N panel in there like all my other cars at some point. DV on the M2 seems like a PITA to replace. My thinking is the higher flow downpipe should compensate for the intercooler with slightly faster spool ...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #844
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Yeah, stock airbox and filter. Was thinking of throwing a K&N panel in there like all my other cars at some point. DV on the M2 seems like a PITA to replace. My thinking is the higher flow downpipe should compensate for the intercooler with slightly faster spool ...
Try the AFE dry filter. XutvJet had a Blackstone done on it, and it held up with filtration. It was also a noticeable increase in sound and response. DP will also help as well.
      07-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #845
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

My car before this is a Subaru Forester XT abd an automatic. So when I first drove this car it was crazy! Instant power and always ready to. I’m not sure if I have just gotten used to it which I’m sure is part of it but now I don’t feel like it’s so “immediate”. Which is why I’m also looking forward to the TIP, DV and DP to try and relive back that impression. I “felt” it after BM3…. which makes no sense. Right? After the CST IC, I didn’t feel any difference but seems more power when it wakes up at around 3.5 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:14 AM   #846
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Try the AFE dry filter. XutvJet had a Blackstone done on it, and it held up with filtration. It was also a noticeable increase in sound and response. DP will also help as well.
I was worried about the filtration but as above seemingly ok.

Someone said their idle wasn't quite normal with AFE or something wasn't as smooth, not sure If it was Xutvjet?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:31 AM   #847
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post

Someone said their idle wasn't quite normal with AFE or something wasn't as smooth, not sure If it was Xutvjet?
I've been using an AFE dry drop-in for around 2yrs/60K km without an issue & last 25K km I've had a BM3 stage 2 tune.

I do clean/wash it every 5-8K km as I do a few country drives and after installing the F80 alloy/carbon bracing I bought a 2nd filter so I always have a clean one on hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:52 AM   #848
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
In putting on the stock lower box, throttle response was diminished, and the low end felt softer (more lag) until about 3500rpm. It basically took more throttle to make gain the same response before - I'm still thinking it's in my head. I just swapped back MPPK/M2 lower and will do some driving to see if it's purely psychological. Overall, the DV + inlet did help, and especially as a manual.
You're saying the stock was more laggy?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #849
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
You're saying the stock was more laggy?
Yes

Stock inlet and DV valve + AFE/MPPK - Good
MST inlet and TS DV valve + AFE/Stock lower - ok
MST inlet and TS DV valve + AFE/MPPK - Great
      07-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #850
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Isn't MPPK stock on M3 N55?

I'm sure there is a flash of red plastic in my engine bay in the right area...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #851
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Isn't MPPK stock on M3 N55?

I'm sure there is a flash of red plastic in my engine bay in the right area...
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it's part of the "M Performance Package" that was an option on the 335i, boosting the standard 300hp to 330hp. It included the lower intake, which is standard on the M2.

All M235i have the 330hp N55 variant, but they don't have the lower intake box.
      07-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #852
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Stock inlet and DV valve + AFE/MPPK - Good
MST inlet and TS DV valve + AFE/Stock lower - ok
MST inlet and TS DV valve + AFE/MPPK - Great
What about....

MST inlet and TS DV valve + stock paper filter/MPPK (if stock on M2) ?

Does the AFE drop-in add anything to the system? I've read that the stock air intake isn't the bottleneck and opening it doesn't add anything especially on the lower half which makes the most impact for most of us.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #853
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

Yes, I've had the AFE for quite a few years and have swapped it back and forth with the OEM air filter. The AFE definitely creates more turbo noises and slightly snappier throttle response, but the engine sounds and feels a little more strained, especially the MPPK airbox I'm running. I also don't like the driveability below 3000rpms with the 6MT and AFE filter. When you first install it, it feels great and then the DME starts adapting and driveability starts to suffer a bit. I got rid of the AFE about 6 months ago. I don't miss it.
      07-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #854
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yes, I've had the AFE for quite a few years and have swapped it back and forth with the OEM air filter. The AFE definitely creates more turbo noises and slightly snappier throttle response, but the engine sounds and feels a little more strained, especially the MPPK airbox I'm running. I also don't like the driveability below 3000rpms with the 6MT and AFE filter. When you first install it, it feels great and then the DME starts adapting and driveability starts to suffer a bit. I got rid of the AFE about 6 months ago. I don't miss it.
Never had this issue, and I’ve been running this combo for over 10,000 miles. The car drives better than it did with the Dinan, or the BMS intake, and feels just as strong in high RPMS (if not better).

But the engine does have a huge empty sucking noise at about 50-5500RPM up that makes me feel like the car is just sucking in warm air. It’s there with the stock air box too, but it’s less pronounced and comes on later. My car feels strong AND consistent though.

It's punchy, smooth, and drives like normal, and it’s $65 bucks and 3 minutes - I think it’s worth it.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 07-14-2021 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #855
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Would I lose some power if I ran ftp CP and wagner evo 2 fmic stock tuned for now?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #856
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Would I lose some power if I ran ftp CP and wagner evo 2 fmic stock tuned for now?
I have the Wagner Evo 2 with VRSF CP, I stayed on stock tune initially and there were no adverse affects, I didn't perceive any change to turbo lag/throttle response but of course IAT's were significantly lower compared to stock IC.

There are 1 or 2 posters who bag the Wagner but here is my experience.

I DIY installed (car up on stands), was straight forward with no mod/cutting required and connecting the inlet/outlet pipes was again straight forward.

I've now been on a BM3 custom stage 2 tune for around 25K km. For street I would say it's excellent, I think you'd only want better if you live in a very hot climate. I recently did a 3K km country trip which included a lot of hard mountain driving, constant 50-100% throttle in 2/3/4th gears & IAT's remained 6-10 deg C over ambient, I would say average was 8C over.
Low or off throttle (ie steep descents) IATs climbed a little but once back on throttle it was only a matter of seconds for IATs to get back to 8-10C over ambient.

I would agree that the Wagner Evo2 is not ideal for tracking in warmer/hot ambient conditions especially if you're going wot into 5/6th gears. Below is a log of the main straight from a recent track day with 20C ambient temp, IAT's were consistent throughout the 20min session. I'm seriously thinking of going to an Evo3 as summer temps get to 30-35+C.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60c9...729b6092da4479
Appreciate 2
M2RAW121.00
bentom2335.50
      07-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #857
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I have the Wagner Evo 2 with VRSF CP, I stayed on stock tune initially and there were no adverse affects, I didn't perceive any change to turbo lag/throttle response but of course IAT's were significantly lower compared to stock IC.

There are 1 or 2 posters who bag the Wagner but here is my experience.

I DIY installed (car up on stands), was straight forward with no mod/cutting required and connecting the inlet/outlet pipes was again straight forward.

I've now been on a BM3 custom stage 2 tune for around 25K km. For street I would say it's excellent, I think you'd only want better if you live in a very hot climate. I recently did a 3K km country trip which included a lot of hard mountain driving, constant 50-100% throttle in 2/3/4th gears & IAT's remained 6-10 deg C over ambient, I would say average was 8C over.
Low or off throttle (ie steep descents) IATs climbed a little but once back on throttle it was only a matter of seconds for IATs to get back to 8-10C over ambient.

I would agree that the Wagner Evo2 is not ideal for tracking in warmer/hot ambient conditions especially if you're going wot into 5/6th gears. Below is a log of the main straight from a recent track day with 20C ambient temp, IAT's were consistent throughout the 20min session. I'm seriously thinking of going to an Evo3 as summer temps get to 30-35+C.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60c9...729b6092da4479
Thank you for the review, im glad you like it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #858
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition (LCII)

Ordered the CSF intercooler at Extreme Powerhouse, shipping and assistance was great.

The intercooler itself looks really nice, however it's a fucking embarrassment that CSF allows such washers and screws to be included in the kit. Would love to have seen proper rectangular washers and proper screws (preferably torx) included.

Having said that, the install was a bit of a tight squeeze but I managed to get it done. No logs or anything but the car seems to be running fine.

Will post a video later as well.
Appreciate 1