BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > OG F87 Front End strut screw damaged

06-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Angry OG F87 Front End strut screw damaged

Story is: bought MANN filter's Air Filter but failed to fit into the air filter box due to its too rich & fluffy soft edge. Compare it with stock MAHLE filter, it is bigger due to the soft edge... The workshop did not have MAHLE for F87 / or (F20 LCI M135i) so we decided to put the old one back, will buy and DIY at home.

I've got new torque wrench yesterday and try to tighten the bolts to the right torque as when the mechanic put the strut back he didn't use 28Nm (we didn't know that at that time). Not sure if that damaged it...

End up with: the screw (red arrow) with "RIBE 8.8" on cap cannot be get out, both direction, it spins but not moving up/down.

Searching Google / RealOEM / newTIS did not reveal what this bolt is, how I can get new ones and trying to fix this problem.

I hope what went broken is the screw (disposable), not the screw hole part (which is a part of the body)...

Has anyone encoutered the same problem before? What is the solution to this?

Also, anyone know the part number for the screw (RIBE 8.8)? I tried to look for it but no luck so far.

Everyone stay safe ;-)

TIA...

Reference: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ter/1VnXnmS9Hm

Torque for screws: 28Nm (in metric)
Attached Images

Last edited by terrywang; 06-26-2020 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

As I recall, those bolts are held in with nutserts which maybe the reason it is just spinning. The only way to remove it easily is to jam something between the brace and the body so that you can get a socket wrench to remove the bolt. The other way to do this is to remove the wheel and the wheel liner and grab the nutsert with a visegrip from within wheel well.
      06-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
As I recall, those bolts are held in with nutserts which maybe the reason it is just spinning. The only way to remove it easily is to jam something between the brace and the body so that you can get a socket wrench to remove the bolt. The other way to do this is to remove the wheel and the wheel liner and grab the nutsert with a visegrip from within wheel well.
Thanks for the input.

I've seen the brace removed for the 1st time, didn't spot any nutserts (I'll double check the right side to make sure)..

My friend (who is a mechanic) told me some of those screws are meant to be renewed (replaced), one-use only, not sure if this applies to the brace screws (I didn't see it mentioned in the technical repair manuals).

Surprisingly, X-post in Australia sub-forum and got more replies ;-) I'll get some spare screws ready before fixing it so as to have a Plan B.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26369460

FYI

AUDM RealOEM link

2' F87 M2 M2 Reinforcement for body, front
- Select another car > Vehicle trim > Various body parts
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8381

Part numbers are the same as USDM though ;-)

Screws

6* Hex bolt M8X20- 8.8-ZNS3 Part number 07119906119
2* Hex blot with washer M8X27 Part number 07149229516

06-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I have removed mine several times before without any issues which makes this sound like a stripped screw or a damaged thread in the body still. The bolt threads are really fine pitched.