BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M-Performance Diffuser questions.

05-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
M-Performance Diffuser questions.

FIRST QUESTION: Is the M-Performance carbon fiber diffuser any bigger than the stock diffuser? I realize it has vanes at the bottom, but I can't find any specs comparing the two in size.

The reason for my question is that it seems to hide the exhaust tips just a bit more than the stock diffuser, but it could be a trick of light. Try as I might, I can't find anyone comparing the two directly.

SECOND QUESTION: With the insane price of this diffuser, has anyone found a well fitting, well finished substitute for considerably less? I know the carbonwurks, RKP, and RW Carbon look very similar, but I'm not sure which ones are direct replicas.

Most of the diffusers I've seen on these cars are more aggressive than the M-Performance, and I'm trying to stay away from that. Ideally I'd like to buy the M-Performance, but $955 for this piece is a bit nutty.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Can’t help with these questions, but I decided to go with the oem part.

Most of the reasonably reputable competitors are similarly expensive or more so.

The one I was considering was the rkp but it’s only 155 dollars less expensive and from what I read does not fit as well as Oem

For me, any price savings aren’t worth it since most of the time the weave is off or at least fitment is off, costing more in terms of install cost and just doesn’t look as good

Imo, pay more for proper fitment the first tome.

I’ll let you know how mine works out. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I would say it's barely larger than the stock. The little fins are mostly what is bigger. are you looking to hide part of the muffler or just the overall presence of the piece? I have one but bought it used. I think that the stock diffusor isnt bad actually.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
Can’t help with these questions, but I decided to go with the oem part.

Most of the reasonably reputable competitors are similarly expensive or more so.

The one I was considering was the rkp but it’s only 155 dollars less expensive and from what I read does not fit as well as Oem

For me, any price savings aren’t worth it since most of the time the weave is off or at least fitment is off, costing more in terms of install cost and just doesn’t look as good

Imo, pay more for proper fitment the first tome.

I’ll let you know how mine works out. Good luck.
These are my thoughts exactly, and thank you for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I would say it's barely larger than the stock. The little fins are mostly what is bigger. are you looking to hide part of the muffler or just the overall presence of the piece? I have one but bought it used. I think that the stock diffusor isnt bad actually.
I'd really like to hide the exhaust tips just a tiny bit more, but don't want something as thick-lipped as the Vorsteiner, which looks pretty terrible IMO.

Some are thinner as well, like the Akrapovic, so I definitely don't want that one.

I like the stock diffuser as well, but I'm going to do all carbon bits (rear spoiler/diffuser/side gills/front lip spoiler) to enhance the quality appearance on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
You can see how thick above the tips the Vorsteiner is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
And how thin the Akrapovic one is:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I believe the m perf diffuser sticks out the rear slightly more than the stock plastic one giving the impression of it covering the exhaust tips more. Specifically the sections above the exhaust tips.

It's quite pricy I agree so the closest in design that isn't a direct replica is the RKP which is on my personal wish list. This one differs slightly in that the find protrude slightly more giving it a slightly more aggressive look than the MP. It's also more affordable especially why IND does a sale.

This post gives a good side by side comparison between the two diffusers with many angles:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1299473
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I believe the m perf diffuser sticks out the rear slightly more than the stock plastic one giving the impression of it covering the exhaust tips more. Specifically the sections above the exhaust tips.

It's quite pricy I agree so the closest in design that isn't a direct replica is the RKP which is on my personal wish list. This one differs slightly in that the find protrude slightly more giving it a slightly more aggressive look than the MP. It's also more affordable especially why IND does a sale.

This post gives a good side by side comparison between the two diffusers with many angles:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1299473
Thanks for that.

Also, the RKP does look good, which appears to be the same on the sides, above the tips, but have bigger vanes, giving it a bit meaner look.

I do wonder about the fit/finish/quality compared to M Performance though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've seen hit and miss on both OEM and RKP which is a well respected brand with connections to IND. For the most part I've seen great fitment though. The nature of CF parts is just that once in a while they really don't fit since they're so rigid.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I've seen hit and miss on both OEM and RKP which is a well respected brand with connections to IND. For the most part I've seen great fitment though. The nature of CF parts is just that once in a while they really don't fit since they're so rigid.
I hear you. I'm used to Lotus, where the after-market parts fit better than OEM

I do wonder why there isn't an M-Performance kit, like rear spoiler, diffuser, gills, mirrors, and front splitter. Weird that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
I hear you. I'm used to Lotus, where the after-market parts fit better than OEM

I do wonder why there isn't an M-Performance kit, like rear spoiler, diffuser, gills, mirrors, and front splitter. Weird that.
As a matter of fact there is!

https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-f87-m2...f87mpthpackage

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
FIRST QUESTION: Is the M-Performance carbon fiber diffuser any bigger than the stock diffuser? I realize it has vanes at the bottom, but I can't find any specs comparing the two in size.

The reason for my question is that it seems to hide the exhaust tips just a bit more than the stock diffuser, but it could be a trick of light. Try as I might, I can't find anyone comparing the two directly.

SECOND QUESTION: With the insane price of this diffuser, has anyone found a well fitting, well finished substitute for considerably less? I know the carbonwurks, RKP, and RW Carbon look very similar, but I'm not sure which ones are direct replicas.

Most of the diffusers I've seen on these cars are more aggressive than the M-Performance, and I'm trying to stay away from that. Ideally I'd like to buy the M-Performance, but $955 for this piece is a bit nutty.

Any help would be appreciated.
Got mine off EBAY for 289😂

Fit is great, I've gotten compliments on it, and I still got money in my pocket👍🏼

Design wise it seems that the part above the tips does in fact stick a bit further out.

People seem to have issues with the final gap treatment, some even remove the whole bumper to get a perfect fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
haha

Waaaaay above my pay-grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Got mine off EBAY for 289😂

Fit is great, I've gotten compliments on it, and I still got money in my pocket👍🏼

Design wise it seems that the part above the tips does in fact stick a bit further out.

People seem to have issues with the final gap treatment, some even remove the whole bumper to get a perfect fit.
I've seen some guys complain about the distance between the diffuser vanes and the exhaust tips, like one gap is a bit larger than the other, but that's about it.

I could never trust an ebay diffuser, I know it's 100% hit or miss there. If they were as easy to do returns on as Amazon, maybe.
Appreciate 0