BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > FTP Oil Catch Can?

04-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
FTP Oil Catch Can?

I've been doing some searching for OCCs for our M2's N55 engine, but there really isn't much info about it here on these forums. This was the only thread I found where someone mentioned they installed the BMS N55 OCC, but required some modification (cutting of a hose?).
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1293789

Anyway, I did some searching outside of the forums and found this:
https://www.aetmotorsport.com/produc...can-bmw-m2-n55

I haven't seen anyone talk about FTP and their OCC for the N55 M2 on bimmerpost. Does anyone have this, or has anyone heard of this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

My understanding was that the oil fouling of the valves that necessitated this sort of product didn't affect later N55s like ours. I think that's why you don't see many people installing them, and therefore not many threads about them.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have an '18 (N55) and the BMS catch can doesn't fit my car - had to return it. If I decide to try another, i'll try the turner catch can. I was interested in it because I had another non-BMW with lots of oil blow-by (but was at 30psi and otherwise highly modded) and wanted to prevent it if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

FWIW Depending on how you drive your car will tell you if you need one or not. You can find places that sell N55 OCC's. are they required? No. Does it hurt to have them? not at all.

I drive my car pretty balls to the walls, So i would probably invest in one, The guy who drives his M2/M235i in a light manner probably doesn't need one. I bang gears up and down so i'll probably be installing one for sure at some point!
just my 2c
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

I was surprised there isn't more talk of using an OCC. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 years ago that suffered terribly from blow by and could have benefited from it (although, I never did it). The engine finally gave up the ghost just shy of 200k.

With my new (to me) '18 LCI, I would rather not take the chance. I would really like to keep this car for a long, long time and thus I'll be getting one. Yeah, I drive pretty hard but I treat them well.

Does anyone have opinions on the ones out there? Are they pretty much the same? I've seen ECS, Turner, and Mishimoto. Anything else that may be better?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93 View Post
I was surprised there isn't more talk of using an OCC. I had a Mazdaspeed 3 years ago that suffered terribly from blow by and could have benefited from it (although, I never did it). The engine finally gave up the ghost just shy of 200k.

With my new (to me) '18 LCI, I would rather not take the chance. I would really like to keep this car for a long, long time and thus I'll be getting one. Yeah, I drive pretty hard but I treat them well.

Does anyone have opinions on the ones out there? Are they pretty much the same? I've seen ECS, Turner, and Mishimoto. Anything else that may be better?
i believe there's not much talk because the N55 engine has been around for a long time in various BMW model series. Over the years most people have found little benefit from an OCC for the engine since BMW did a good job fixing the flaws from the N54.

At least this is what I found through researching and so personally I'm not worried about it for this car
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
debug
Rep
Drives: m2 competition

Quote:

Mishimoto makes an oil catch can for the M2. I have one from them on my Type R, and it installed on the vehicle perfectly. I recommend getting the accessory drain valve from them as well so that you can easily drain the can without having to remove the strut brace.

I’m getting mine installed this week, so I’ll update this thread soon with pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Ha I put one on my MS3 and it definitely filled up with mostly fuel from blow by. Not the best PCV design on that motor by any means but everything I've read on the N55 is that it's not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by debug View Post
Quote:

Mishimoto makes an oil catch can for the M2. I have one from them on my Type R, and it installed on the vehicle perfectly. I recommend getting the accessory drain valve from them as well so that you can easily drain the can without having to remove the strut brace.

I’m getting mine installed this week, so I’ll update this thread soon with pics.
N55 or S55? I know the S55 OCC fits the M2C engine bay. However, I don't think the generic N55 solution from Mishimoto will fit the OG M2 (N55) bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Check out the Turner Motorsports OCC. It has a mounting bracket that is made specifically for the F87 M2 engine bay. It also includes a dip stick to check the catch can content levels as well as a drain system so that you don't need to remove the can in order to drain it. I've looked at BMS, Mishimoto, FTP, and ECS catch cans and this one definitely seems to be the best out of those because of the dip stick, drain, and specific mounting bracket. Highly recommend! I haven't installed it yet but when I do I'll try to take some pics.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
      06-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
debug
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutoftheBlueM2 View Post
Check out the Turner Motorsports OCC. It has a mounting bracket that is made specifically for the F87 M2 engine bay. It also includes a dip stick to check the catch can content levels as well as a drain system so that you don't need to remove the can in order to drain it. I've looked at BMS, Mishimoto, FTP, and ECS catch cans and this one definitely seems to be the best out of those because of the dip stick, drain, and specific mounting bracket. Highly recommend! I haven't installed it yet but when I do I'll try to take some pics.
Can you use the dipstick without removing the carbon fiber strut brace? It’s location appears to be under the brace. The space in that area is extremely limited, so I would be surprised if that is possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #12
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can you use the dipstick without removing the carbon fiber strut brace? It’s location appears to be under the brace. The space in that area is extremely limited, so I would be surprised if that is possible.
This is for the N55 M2 engine bay. No carbon fiber brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:48 AM   #13
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Finished product
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
gphung193.50
tenkies147.00
      06-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Finished product
Nice - looks very similar to OOC MMR offer here in the UK ie looks good and functional

https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/pro...-catch-can-kit

@£250 though it's not cheap but then its got pucker hoses, requires zero cutting/notching of the oem engine cover and has a dipstick which works for us that have done F8x CFRP U brace retrofit !!!

Position looks identical to yours so should be OK for N55 OGM2 c/w CFRP retrofit.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      06-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #15
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Finished product
which size did you go with 8oz? 10oz?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #16
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
I've been doing some searching for OCCs for our M2's N55 engine, but there really isn't much info about it here on these forums. This was the only thread I found where someone mentioned they installed the BMS N55 OCC, but required some modification (cutting of a hose?).
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1293789

Anyway, I did some searching outside of the forums and found this:
https://www.aetmotorsport.com/produc...can-bmw-m2-n55

I haven't seen anyone talk about FTP and their OCC for the N55 M2 on bimmerpost. Does anyone have this, or has anyone heard of this?
FTP can uses a strut bolt which is not optimal imo, because those bolts are single use only and every time you remove it and reinstall it you are supposed to renew the bolt. Also the PCV adapter is crap imo, too many fittings and adapters making it susceptible to leaks. Also they use a cheap chinese knock off BMS can which in my experience I have seen alot of those baffles not machined well and leave alot of metallic fragments behind, which you do not want in your engine.

Quote:
Finished product
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Nice - looks very similar to OOC MMR offer here in the UK ie looks good and functional

https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/pro...-catch-can-kit

@£250 though it's not cheap but then its got pucker hoses, requires zero cutting/notching of the oem engine cover and has a dipstick which works for us that have done F8x CFRP U brace retrofit !!!

Position looks identical to yours so should be OK for N55 OGM2 c/w CFRP retrofit.
Imo the baffling on the mmr can sucks compared to the turner can, there is only a little bit of mesh and a really small vertical divide. The turner can not only has a grated baffle but it forces the air to change direction in their reverse flow mechanism which makes it better to drop oil out of suspension.

Also you do not want giant "U" shapes in your pcv hoses because that will have condensation build up which can freeze in the winter leading to a bad time for your crank case. The turner can does a good job keeping the hoses angled or flat preventing condensation from building up and allow small droplets to drain or move away with the air movement before they collect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
which size did you go with 8oz? 10oz?
8 oz only available to clear the oil line on the m2.
Good stuff to hear! I did the research to go with whatever is best that's available.

Also, it's actually a 6oz can. At least according to Turner's website it is. But I wouldn't really worry about the can size. This thing will take a good while to fill. An 8oz might fit if you're lucky but I doubt it, nor do I see a need for it.

If anyone has any questions about the install feel free to ask. It's really straight forward. For step by step directions you can visit the product page for the catch can on Turner's website and there is a link to the pdf. It's really good.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #17
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Some more pics for you guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #18
OutoftheBlueM2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      06-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #19
debug
Rep

Quote:
This is for the N55 M2 engine bay. No carbon fiber brace.
Oh nice - ya, that’s a good feature for an oil catch can.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #20
debug
Rep

Quote:
N55 or S55? I know the S55 OCC fits the M2C engine bay. However, I don't think the generic N55 solution from Mishimoto will fit the OG M2 (N55) bay.
I installed my Mishimoto oil catch can on the M2C about two weeks ago. I posted my tips on the installation in another thread. Nonetheless, the installation went smoothly and everything fit perfectly.

I have a drain valve located in the opening of the belly pan by the oil drain plug. I have an oil catch can on my Type R, and it has been great at collecting oil blow-by. I was really impressed. Obviously here, it’s much easier to unscrew the can and drain the residue.

Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
      06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #21
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I installed my Mishimoto oil catch can on the M2C about two weeks ago. I posted my tips on the installation in another thread. Nonetheless, the installation went smoothly and everything fit perfectly.

I have a drain valve located in the opening of the belly pan by the oil drain plug. I have an oil catch can on my Type R, and it has been great at collecting oil blow-by. I was really impressed. Obviously here, it’s much easier to unscrew the can and drain the residue.

Beautiful product. Wonder if any of the Mishimoto OCCs (any variant really) could fit the N55 bay. I'd be really interested in one.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Beautiful product. Wonder if any of the Mishimoto OCCs (any variant really) could fit the N55 bay. I'd be really interested in one.
No, unless you want to fab up brackets, tuner/ecs has the only can that will fit in the n55 m2.

Personally I think turner/ecs makes the best cans due to their baffling system and how they manage air flow inside of their can. I personally don't like the bronze mesh filter that mishimoto uses or radium uses since I feel they could degrade over time and cause issues if it gets sucked into the motor.